PDA

View Full Version : Syndrome or Disorder?

Kieron Andrew
11-30-2007, 06:50 PM
I found this interesting.....

Gender Disphoria or Harry Benjamin Syndrome? you decide....

http://www.harrybenjaminsyndrome-info.org/
http://www.harrybenjaminsyndrome-info.org/terminology.html
http://www.harrybenjaminsyndrome-info.org/definition.html

wishonastar
11-30-2007, 07:08 PM
Syndrome or Disorder?

I looked at their definitions on a few sites. Syndrome suggests a set of symptoms without a know or clear cause.

Disorder is even more vague an abnormality of the body or mind.

None fits Gender disorder really.

In any case who cares. The doctors and drug companies need labels and names for things otherwise they can not treat them. ADHD is syndrome not a disease but there are drugs for it, because the drug industry wanted to make money treating it.

The same with gender identity disorder. Without a name and/or a classification as a syndrome, disorder, birth defect or disease they cannot legally treat with drugs, at least in the US. Elective surgery is another thing, if you have the money you can find a doctor to do it, even getting whiskers put on your face like some people have!

GypsyKaren
11-30-2007, 07:09 PM
I prefer to call it Karen'satitagain Syndrome.

Karen Starlene

Kieron Andrew
11-30-2007, 07:17 PM
I prefer to call it Karen'satitagain Syndrome.

Karen Starlene

its not Harry's its mine? :heehee:

Cara Allen
11-30-2007, 07:54 PM
I don't think it is either, either.

It might be closer to a (I can see the flack I might get over this!) birth defect, if the current thinking that gender and sexual preference is due to deficiencies in hormone supply to the fetus at critical times is correct.

Actually, it could also be that, in our species past, we served some important purpose in the function of ancient society, so the process of natural selection kept us in... From a scientific perspective, there are no mistakes.

From a religious perspective, God doesn't make mistakes either....

Hmmm...that would mean we are not abnormal at all!

Of course, we could be a mutation... Nature is trying out something, to see how it works. If that is the case, we might be the next Homo Sapiens!!!

So, it all comes down to the speculation that we are either throw-backs, or throw-ups!:p

Kimberley
11-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I dont recognize either since being transgender just is. I think any attempt to "classify" marginalizes us and we seem to be all too willing to accept that. We need to "declassify" these terms and any other like them...forever.

How about just being called human beings? THAT works for me.

End of mini rant.

:hugs:
Kimberley

Kieron Andrew
11-30-2007, 09:49 PM
The reason i posted this, was because there is talk of changing the term Transsexual to Harry benjamin syndrome, i for one would prefer that, if we have to have any label at all, i hate labels as much as any person

I hate the label Transsexual, because for me and me only, i can not speak for everyone, my gender identity is not based on anything sexual therefore ok Transgender works, but not Transsexual...because i think that suggests something sexual isnt right...ok Harry benjamin syndrome isnt perfect either but it takes away the reasons i stated for ME....

Kimberley
11-30-2007, 09:58 PM
The term transsexual doesnt bother me but I agree with you it doesnt really fit. Still I accept it for what it is.

What does bother me is the classifications in the DSM-IV that put us as having a disorder and that is simply wrong. We dont have a disorder or a sydrome or any other thing. (okay I'll admit to the sniffles)

Many of us struggle with anxiety and depression but those are a result of Guilt Shame and Fear that goes with being TG. Treat those and you have just a human being whose sexual identity and gender identity are not congruent. Align the sexual identity and a lot changes but we are still the same person as before. Being TG cant be cured by any definition. Surgical correction does put us where we belong and if the therapy is good then we no longer recognize the biological gender.

Good thread dude.

:hugs:
Kimberley

AmberTG
11-30-2007, 10:28 PM
I also tend to think of it as a birth abnormality. I was going to say "defect" but that implies that there's something missing or deformed. There are so many things that can and do affect the fetus in the womb, and most of those things have subtle results on the child.
Anyway, as far as a label, I prefer the term "transgender", it seems more appropriate for a pre-op or non-op person, of either genetic sex. The term "transsexual" might apply to a person taking hormones and in the process of aligning their "parts" to their gender. I suppose, post-op, that term might apply also, but it depends on who you ask.

Sharon
11-30-2007, 11:16 PM
I always preferred "transgenderism" over "transsexual," as it is our gender that is out of kilter(anatomically speaking) and not our sex, which can be confusing for those who haven't given this as much thought as we have.

The word "disorder" bugs me, as I see it as a synonym of "deviant" in many people's minds. As far as descriptive words go, "syndrome" is as good as any I suppose, as there needs to be a way for folk to label our situation. I'm quite sure, however, that I will never describe myself to someone that I have "Harry Benjamin Syndrome." If it comes down to naming it after a person, I would prefer to say "Sharon Mooney Syndrome," as my syndrome is not Harry's. And who besides psychs and students even know who Harry Benjamin is?

kerrianna
12-01-2007, 12:05 AM
Interesting reading.

I do agree the term Transexual has some baggage with it, thanks to misconceptions.

I don't know why but I get feeling defensive when I read medical and pyschological tracts. I guess I have a deep distrust of so called experts, which is why I like the 'human' nomenclature.

But they do have to have reference points in their professions that are more useful I guess.

Still seems like a big guessing game to me.

Kate Simmons
12-01-2007, 12:59 AM
Interesting. As humans we love to classify things and people, along with all the poking and prodding and scientific curiosity. The more I get to know myself and others, the more I wonder just what the big deal is. Is we is or is we ain't? We is, we're here and we're staying and are part of the gene pool no matter what they call it. I rest my case and my DNA.:happy: