PDA

View Full Version : Gov't Security Clearances

Ms_Judys_pet
12-02-2007, 10:00 AM
Hey there,
i understand folks may need to respond to this off list. Hopefully i haven't missed a rule somewhere. Private messages or direct e-mails are ok with me.

Has anyone had problems with a Department of Defense security clearance because of their cross-dressing?

Or does everyone keep it completely hidden to prevent discovery?

Thanks
susie

Kate Simmons
12-02-2007, 10:05 AM
It shouldn't be an issue unless it's something that could be used against you or compromise you.:happy:

Kitty Sue
12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
I only have a secret but it had never been an issue for me.

Juanita O
12-02-2007, 11:30 AM
hi ms_ judys_pet
-i am now going through a security clearance, I work for the Fed Gov't, so far so go at this point.

Jannis
12-02-2007, 02:04 PM
Yes, it would compromise your clearance if it is hidden by you and could lead to someone using it as blackmail to gain your cooperation. If you are fully truthful and have nothing to hide, then it does not become an issue. Now, depending on your agency, they may find your dressing as something that is immoral or indicative of mental imbalance and try to use that angle to reject your clearance. Remember, DOD is "don't ask, don't tell." If that happens, you may be able to appeal and show that CDing is not uncommon. Just ask J. Edgar Hoover!

loki_uk
12-02-2007, 02:06 PM
From what I've experienced and heard from others (at least in the UK) it's only a problem if you deny as then they think you're a blackmail risk

Alex!
12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
I've not had an issue before, and I've had a very high clearance. However, since Andrea has become more active online since April 2006 (I waited until I left the national security scene), I can assure you that a Top Secret clearance requiring a lifestyle polygraph would be a problem. The problem comes about when your clearance is predicated on a lifestyle issue, and is typical of a high clearance (i.e., not Secret). The idea, of course, is that you can be blackmailed if someone finds out your crossdressing secret, and if the lifestyle is on the Internet, it WILL get discovered. If everyone is aware of your crossdressing, then you can't get blackmailed.

However, if the agency issuing the clearance deems crossdressing as a mental problem, the clearance can be denied or revoked. If that is the case, it is always possible to take the issue to court and argue that crossdressing is not, in fact, a mental problem - such a case would likely be a landmark for the transgendered in general, since there is ample evidence to suggest that crossdressing is not a mental disease. We must also be wary of religious fanatacism, which often finds its filthy way into law and reason through cracks.

Because of my crossdressing, I no longer seek work requiring a clearance. Indeed, such work bores me, and I no longer have a desire to serve the military industrial complex in a closed up, sealed, concrete block of a room.

Scotty
12-02-2007, 04:05 PM
Hey there,
i understand folks may need to respond to this off list. Hopefully i haven't missed a rule somewhere. Private messages or direct e-mails are ok with me.

Has anyone had problems with a Department of Defense security clearance because of their cross-dressing?

Or does everyone keep it completely hidden to prevent discovery?

Thanks
susie

It's only a problem if they know...
I no longer have the TS/SCI and it's lower level now...but I don't work with the material anyway..

I was more worried about them finding credit card transactions for HRT related stuff if I had that SBI again....

I recently turned down a security advance in the IT field because of that, I didn't need it as it was short term access for something the junior IT people can do....

I'd go back to the civilian sector if it came to it, with no qualms....

angelfire
12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
I put in my forms for secret clearance 2 weeks ago and am still waiting to see if I get accepted. I don't think it should be an issue, and if it came down to it, I would have to just tell everyone. I already have a friend who knows, and my parents know, so I may lose a few friends along the way, but it would also test who my real friends are.

I'm not so worried either way, I think I should get it.

TxKimberly
12-02-2007, 05:23 PM
. . .Or does everyone keep it completely hidden to prevent discovery?
. . .

You didn't offer us this choice

KateSpade83
12-02-2007, 06:38 PM
If I was a mechanical engineer at my current job I'd probably need a clearance for working on the Space Shuttle. I've seen job ads by my company for this. But they didn't require it for me being a Proe Designer / Detailer. But I strongly suspect they spied on me after work and found out I crossdress and shop in drag. Several funny incidents happened that make me suspect this.

I might be promoted to a ME job too, and that would be awesome for my career!

Michelia
12-02-2007, 07:14 PM
http://www.okdiversity.com/genderbenders/cia.html

Which most of you have probably seen - about hiring TG in the CIA. Do anyone have a current version of this? This is 15 years old so I imagine it may be even less of an issue now. But the CIA is high security and it does not seem that it is that big of an issue - unless you can be blackmailed, as others have said.

I have not been in the US military, so I cannot answer the poll.

Michelia

kaitlin
12-02-2007, 10:52 PM
I agree, don't ask..don't tell. I have a very high security clearance, nuclear power, never had a problem. Kaitlin

Stephanie-L
12-02-2007, 11:05 PM
I have a secret clearance due to military service and had no problems getting it, even though I had been CDing for most of my life. However my clearance did not involve an interview, just a review of my employment and residence history. I am much more worried about the effects of a bankruptcy on a security clearance than my CDing.......Stephanie

Sarah Plumber
12-03-2007, 04:53 AM
This is a little spooky......I've just copleted my review...awaiting the results.

They did'nt ask so I didn't tell....

but then I'm not working with anything sensative anymore..

If it were to come out then I'd deal with it then.

JoAnnDallas
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I have held as high as TS Crypto clearance and never had a problem. They knew and told me that if anyone tried to use it against me that I would have to go public or resign and that would take care of that problem. The rest of the fallout I was responisble for. LOL They also told me if I did end up going public that as long as it did not interfere with my duties, they were OK with it. This was before the "Don't Ask, Don't tell" policy.

Ms_Judys_pet
12-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey folks,
Thanks for the replies. It's actually reassuring.
I've held a clearance for the Department of Defense for over 20yrs now, both in a military capacity and a civilian capacity. I'm currently a civilian employee. A recent promotion has put me in a position to increase the clearance.
Fortunately, i won't be dealing with much actual classified information. In my position it's mostly a tangential exposure. I actually try to avoid anything classified. The less you know the better....
my basic plan has been to not advertise. If asked, i plan to be honest. Better off dealing with the headaches, than getting caught in a lie. If i'm open about it, i can't be blackmailed. If they have a moral issue, well that's a different story.
i think i'm more worried about my credit score. i monitor my credit and can see where the Office of Personnel Management just ran a credit check.....

Thanks for the info.
i'd love to know how things are working out for everyone.

jenniferj
12-05-2007, 09:40 PM
I had a couple of pretty high clearances in the distant past (Nuclear Weapon Design); they didn't ask, I didn't tell. They were much more concerned about geology field trips into Baja that went well south of Ensenada.

They talked with a bunch of my neighbors about my comings and goings and whether I consumed large amounts of alcohol or small amounts of other things. No polygraphs, but I can't recall that they even did them then.

-jj

ericalynncd
12-05-2007, 10:49 PM
it's not an issue vamc. although it might have been a problem if I still had radar and sonar clearance.

Ashleywilliams
12-06-2007, 03:36 AM
When i last had a DV clearance (3 hour interview) they never asked about crossdressing so i didnt say anything, the only questions they did ask were are you homosexual (no) and have you ever had a homosexual encounter (no), so the moral is if they dont ask dont tell.

Ashley:happy:

RobertaFermina
12-06-2007, 12:06 PM
I don't choose to work for military purposes, so this has not been a problem.

I did work for a company that designed secure access equipment. My clearance was denied (many years ago) over having been busted on my one and only purchase of, ahem.... a common herbal inhalant.

I dress in public anyway, have a public CD website......so I'm immune from coercion with respect to CD.

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Ms_Judys_pet
01-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Some might find this humorous, they started the investigation with my ex-wife. :heehee:
When asked if she knew of anything i could be blackmailed over, she figured since i retired from the Guard, there wasn't. So she said no. :laughing:

heidi99
01-04-2008, 10:03 PM
I was wondering about this. My current job only required a NSC, although way back when I did have a TS/SCI while I was in the military. When I was pursuing my current job, I was quite nervous about what they would find (especially if/when they interviewed my ex-wife, since the marriage ended so badly.) I felt I had to disclose to head off any damage she might be able to do. I don't think I am a security risk as I have told my parents and a few close friends. I would rather it not be broadcast over the news, but I think it is much, much less of a bomb than I did at one time. I don't know what I'll do if I go for a different job that requires a higher clearance. My first gut instinct is to tell voluntarily still because of the ex, and let the chips fall where they may. My skill set is such that there are a lot of jobs out there that don't require it, so not much worry. Thanks to all for all the information.

Heidi99

Ms_Judys_pet
01-05-2008, 09:51 AM
I was wondering about this. My current job only required a NSC, although way back when I did have a TS/SCI while I was in the military. When I was pursuing my current job, I was quite nervous about what they would find (especially if/when they interviewed my ex-wife, since the marriage ended so badly.) I felt I had to disclose to head off any damage she might be able to do. I don't think I am a security risk as I have told my parents and a few close friends. I would rather it not be broadcast over the news, but I think it is much, much less of a bomb than I did at one time. I don't know what I'll do if I go for a different job that requires a higher clearance. My first gut instinct is to tell voluntarily still because of the ex, and let the chips fall where they may. My skill set is such that there are a lot of jobs out there that don't require it, so not much worry. Thanks to all for all the information.

Heidi99

That's how i'm handling the increase. i'll be meeting with the investigator sometime soon here. i'll let you know how it goes. i figure if i'm upfront about it, and can't be blackmailed over it, i should be fine. They no longer deny clearances based on sexual preferences as a moral issue.
So hopefully we should be all set.

Jaydee
01-05-2008, 01:59 PM
I had a Secret clearance for over 25 years with the military. I was so deeply closeted that it never came out. I recently was investigated again for a clearance with Homeland Security. They didn't ask and I didn't offer. I am not worried about being blackmailed and I didn't think it would affect my duties, as I am still in the closet.

Jaydee