PDA

View Full Version : First-time shopping - total newb

LilahCD
12-04-2007, 03:41 PM
Hello ladies, I have a question which I probably should have asked from the outset:

As I've posted here before, I am completely alone with my CDing. My hetero friends have mostly abandoned me (in addition to being CD, I'm bi with leanings towards men), the one person who took me shopping set me up with a ridiculous pair of pants with bad rhinestones down the seams and a DD tank top with in-built bustier.. the only other clothes I have are a bra, a pair of (cheap) blue panties, two pairs of hose with holes in them and a calico-print granny dress.

So, to my question: What should I pick up for my first real outfit, and where should I go to get it? It's winter here in NE Washington, so obviously it should be something warm; I've thought about Wal-Mart after 10:00 but that just feels.. creepy for some reason.

I should probably add that I'm a rather large person at 6'3", 200-215 lbs. and I have no experience with makeup, besides mascara and eyeliner; a bad combination, from what I've gathered on these boards.

I know I won't pass completely due to my size, but I would at least like to blend in in passing.. Thank you in advance for any advice you might offer, and happy holidays!

Kristen Marie
12-04-2007, 03:49 PM
That is quite an outfit. I am further up in Boston and I am beginning to pull out my flared jeans and sweater. No rhinestones on these jeans, and my bustier, or corset is underneath. If I go out, my size alone attracts attention. I'm on 6', three whole inches smaller, so I know what you are saying.

Try getting a simple black stretch skirt at a thrift store for $10, some nice shoes at Payless and a top on sale at Lane Bryant. They have lots of mark-downs and you'll need a larger top because of your shoulders. Make-up is personal, but you need to get a beard cover and a foundation before you start working on your eyes.

charlie
12-04-2007, 03:55 PM
Hello ladies, I have a question which I probably should have asked from the outset:

As I've posted here before, I am completely alone with my CDing. My hetero friends have mostly abandoned me (in addition to being CD, I'm bi with leanings towards men), the one person who took me shopping set me up with a ridiculous pair of pants with bad rhinestones down the seams and a DD tank top with in-built bustier.. the only other clothes I have are a bra, a pair of (cheap) blue panties, two pairs of hose with holes in them and a calico-print granny dress.

So, to my question: What should I pick up for my first real outfit, and where should I go to get it? It's winter here in NE Washington, so obviously it should be something warm; I've thought about Wal-Mart after 10:00 but that just feels.. creepy for some reason.

I should probably add that I'm a rather large person at 6'3", 200-215 lbs. and I have no experience with makeup, besides mascara and eyeliner; a bad combination, from what I've gathered on these boards.

I know I won't pass completely due to my size, but I would at least like to blend in in passing.. Thank you in advance for any advice you might offer, and happy holidays!

I have been told by several others on this forum (and now Kisten has told you too) to go to a thrift store. GO there! The Salvation Army store I went to was large, had tons of clothes, nobody even gave me a look, and was cheap. I bought two outfits there and was told how pretty I was twice!

Michelia
12-04-2007, 05:10 PM
I should have asked this on the outset as well.

That is before spending hundreds on make up and other products and on clothes that do not really fit well or do not match.

Lilah:

It is not too late for you. Start by trying things on. Do not buy yet. Most stores will let you try clothes. Clothes in tall and plus are expensive. Make your mistakes by buying your first things from thrifts and learn your sizes and what things look good on you.

This applies to make up as well. Before heading to MAC or Dillard's get one of those huge assortment of cheap colors and mascara and lipstick for 10 dollars at your local CVS. Practice and learn with this. Once you know your colors and your technique get the good stuff. There is a little book at CVS called "the beauty book" I have mentioned here before. It covers all the basics on make-up, hair dos, products, technique, nails, styles with nice illustrations - all for 7.99.

Only you can decide what kinds of outfits to wear. Another tip - try subscribing to some girlie fashion magazines. Seventeen, Allure, Vogue, etc. They will show you what to wear and teach you how to combine.

Michelia

Denise Barrett
12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
Hi Lilah, :hugs:

Here's a site which has free videos that teach makeup as well as just about everything about grooming, clothing, etc.

http://www.videojug.com/tag/beauty-and-style?utm_source=google&utm_medium=CPC&utm_campaign=beauty&utm_keyword=eye%20makeup

Might be a good place to start. Have fun and buy something knock-out, dropdead, gorgeous. Have a happy, and fun, holiday.

With all my love and respect, :love:
Denise