PDA

View Full Version : Relating a CD story to my Wife

Phyliss
12-07-2007, 09:44 PM
This is basically what I had said:

"When I first opened my Fashion Bug Account, they asked for my phone number, and I gave them the shop number. (self employed, so no problem about "somebody" picking up the phone). Each time I go in a buy something they ask for my phone number, I always figured iy was for verification of card. Little did I realize it was to track how often I'm in there."
Her: "How often is that?"
Me: "Too often"
Her: "So I notice."
" Now you may not realize that Fashion Bug is owned by Charming Shoppe who also owns Lane Bryant, and Catherines, and I think a few others. Now even though I have my office phone on the "Do Not Call" list that doesn't stop a company from calling you if you've done business with them. Used to be a time when an automated phone call would "hang up" if it heard the answering machine, not anymore, it simply waits for the "beep" and continues. What with the Christmas season here I've been getting these calls from both F.B. and Lane Bryant telling me about all the wonderful deals and great savings. Usually some young "honey" speaking rapidly almost like that one from Food Network, Rachel Ray, (the girl should switch to decafe.)
So here I am this morning doing a fairly large job on my own and my truck phone rings, (call forwarding from my shop office phone to my truck) well, you know I don't stop work to answer the phone, that's what voice mail is for. Anyhow, when I'm done the job and headed out to my next job, I replay the messages.
Now, in another time, with a job this size, I would have had my buddy "Bill" with me, (He passed away this last June, 7th and final heart attack). So I'm leaving the site and retrieve my messages, first message is from a customer wanting some repair work done, second message is from, ...."
Wife starts to laugh, she can see "IT" coming a mile away.
You guessed it, here's "Tiffany" calling from Lane Bryant telling me about a wonderful one day sale on Saturday, and how "stunning" I'd look in their latest fashions and since I'm such a valued customer they wanted to let me in on the sale, ect ect ect."

Now just picture if you would, me listening on speaker phone to this message while driving, with my "buddy" sitting in the truck cab right next to me.

Actually got a good chuckle out of her from the story. While I was listening to it I thought about a scene like that and got to laughing so hard I almost drove off the road. Talk about "being caught" No Escape there. "You got some 'slpainin to do"

Two things come from this incident, one, I guess it shows how much I don't care about "hiding" anymore, and two, it sorta shows another level of acceptance on her part. That she can laugh about little things, along with me.

Shannen
12-07-2007, 11:10 PM
So what are you planning on getting at the Saturday sale?

I love Fashion Bug clearance racks! I used to explain it was for my wife, but after a few "Do you realize you have tops is both 1X and 3X sizes?... why yes, I do realize that..." I just lay it on the counter and hand over the phone number!

...in fact, where is that "extra 5% off" card they sent this week....

I'm glad your wife can laugh with you about the situation. My wife told me I picked out a cute skirt today. I think it's the first time she's ever let herself say that...

Lora Olivia
12-08-2007, 12:24 AM
i got the call too....L B 40% off everything and ain't it just my luck a darn snow coming and no way i am venturing 160 miles round trip in that lol

Phyliss
12-08-2007, 04:29 AM
So what are you planning on getting at the Saturday sale?

I love Fashion Bug clearance racks! I used to explain it was for my wife, but after a few "Do you realize you have tops is both 1X and 3X sizes?... why yes, I do realize that..." I just lay it on the counter and hand over the phone number!

...in fact, where is that "extra 5% off" card they sent this week....

I'm glad your wife can laugh with you about the situation. My wife told me I picked out a cute skirt today. I think it's the first time she's ever let herself say that...

I'm kinda hoping they have some size 8 Wilshire fit jeans. Always need jeans. (work related doncha know).

Raychel
12-08-2007, 06:04 AM
It sure does make it alot easier to accept yourself, when you and you wife can talk and laugh about it at times. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Billijo_06
12-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Maybe I have a different take on companies who call to solicit more business from me. I want them to respect my privacy and I WILLL NOT do business with any company that will not show consideration for that. It is a shame too, as I love Silkies Hosiery and would buy from them exclusively except every time I give them an order, they call to follow up with me.

These companies could, just as easily drop a post card with a coupon, in the mail to solicit more business and at a cost savings too. If you consider all the catalogs I get, my guess is that the postman already knows.

I am not worried about anyone finding out as I live alone and work for myself and by myself; it is just the principle of the thing that bothers me.

Samantha43
12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree with Billijo_06. I like my privacy. I rarely give my phone number out to the companies that I do business with. If I do get a call, I ask to be taken off of their call list.

Phyliss
12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Billijo and Samantha , while I understand the "bother" it is to get the different "sales calls", especially those that are automated, (what's wrong with hiring REAL people?). It still seems funny to me about the "possibility" of having to "explain" my way out of that one.
Perhaps because I rather enjoy shopping in those particular stores and that I get the phone calls kinda helps me to become even more comfortable. Perhaps at some point I'll be telling them to "back off" , but for now, I politely listen then hang up.

mike47
12-09-2007, 12:02 PM
I don't really mind the phone calls actually. I do believe that it is sorta funny when they pretty much figure out that it is actually for you. It has only really happen once on the phone but on a couple of occasions in person. The shock look I do get a kick at but at the sametime it seems to be rather embarrassing. It is a trip that gets the heart pumping.