PDA

View Full Version : Unhappy in my skin

Ashley Williams
12-10-2007, 02:40 AM
I have a dilemma that I am sure is not unusual - but does not make it easier to resolve.

I am compelled to cross-dress. I hate the compulsion but love, especially, the feel of nylon lingerie under my clothes. Having returned to the habit after years of abstinence, I have now gone back to the essential dilemma. I do not like who I am and it seems such a waste.

In my first marriage, my wife and I faced many issues and had a fairly turbulent time. In a sense my cross-dressing was just part of the mix. Even so, I sought guidance from my priest and confessor who helped a lot regarding my sense of self-worth and recommended counselling. From there I went on to a psychotherapist, with whom I found at least a way of rationalising things to myself and a vocabulary to use in my thinking about myself.

Even so, the first marriage literally fell apart when we lost the ability to communicate meaningfully. When we re-discovered ourselves, again through counselling, we found that we had different visions of the future and following them brought an end to the marriage.

I was then on my own for a number of years. I rebuilt my life and made good connections with people, both at work and in a reasonable social life. Living alone meant I could indulge my love of lingerie as much as l liked, which was not actually all that often. I would go through periods where all I wanted to do at the weekend was spend the time on my own while dressed and others when I was not motivated to dress at all.

Then I went through a stage when I felt that the only way I could work through it all was to 'share' with my friends and colleagues.

That was not helpful as I was rejected by most, tolerated by some and overall I felt it cut me off. I then reasoned that going to a cross-dressing venue, pretty local to me at the time, would be a better tactic. This encouraged me to make more of an effort, and I did put all my drama training to good use with makeup, wig and quite a nice outfit. I certainly drew a lot of encouragement from some of the others, but again never really felt 'connected' - and certainly never dared to go out dressed, despite being urged to do so.

The last straw came when I moved out of London and settled in Essex. Still on my own, I made a special effort to go to another cd venue. I had a fabulous new outfit and was feeling very bold. The venue, however, was full of people dressed, for the most part, more like my mother than I was comfortable with.

It felt like a freak show, and I threw away all my 'gear' - underwear included.

For almost ten years I did not have the urge to dress. I felt freed from the tyranny of going through a department store and not being able to resist a half hour just 'window-shopping' in the lingerie section.

I still had recourse, from time to time, to a therapist who helped me with the fundamental issue that would still regularly plague me - feeling 'unworthy' somehow. Always having been someone who thinks a lot, I would find his occasional input really got me out of the knot I would inevitably get myself tied up in.

Then I had a very stormy relationship with a woman who was very unstable herself. Our sex life was like nothing I had ever experience, though, and included her dressing me in some of her lingerie to make love.

When that relationship ended, though, I had still had no desire to dress again on my own.

Shortly afterwards I met the person who became my second wife. Her background and persona, by contrast, were very straightforward and I felt able to communicate with her better than with anyone else before. This included the fact that I 'used to cross-dress.' This was a genuine situation - I truly believed that it was now an issue from my past and in what for me was the most complete relationship of my life, I felt that the only way was up, so to speak.

We settled into our life, and accommodating my new 16 year old step-daughter and my wife's very close family was a joy. We had our challenges, of course, but faced them and grew in ways I had never experienced. My family rarely impinged on our lives at all, being very spread out, including other countries.

Then my mother became dependent on care and I suffered a major set-back at work. I became depressed and again sought counselling. I left employment and struck out on my own. My new business failed and I was prescribed medication to cope with my bad feelings about myself.

On the whole we got through it all, but my family issues became more pressing as my mother's health declined and I was the only member of the family willing to provide any real support. She died 18 months ago and my family now have nothing to do with me.

My relationship with my wife continued to strengthen through all of this, and we had an excellent sex life. In terms of frequency, nothing exceptional, but we experimented a bit and used literature and videos to enhance our enjoyment.

Then, through the on-line links in the magazine we subscribed to, I discovered as site called 'Slip Heaven'.

A website devoted to women dressed, on the whole quite modestly, but only in slips, took me right back to the start of my dressing habit as a ten year-old looking at the 60s ads in my older sister's magazines and the underwear section of my mother's home shopping catalogue.

I found it so erotic that I could not resist the temptation to masturbate. This did not, initially, involve anything 'silky' to assist, but eventually I borrowed some of my wife's old things, tucked deep in the bottom of her wardrobe, to enhance my solitary sessions. I did not put anything on for years - feeling that this was a barrier I did not want to cross again. As far as I could tell, our sex-life did not diminish or suffer by my solitary pursuits.

A dilemma was devloping, though and my traditional support was suddenly absent - when I tried to arrange a session with my therapist I discovered that he had died.

I could resist no longer - and bought myself some nylon underwear. The electric feeling of wearing nylon while looking at the wonderful pictures brought me to frequent and intense self-enjoyment rivalling anything I had known before.

Again, with no apparent effect on my physical relationship, the 'damage' was less than I feared it might have been but a point had been breached and with no-one to talk to or confide in, I was truly caught.

I felt I could not share this with my wife. I was afraid that she would feel it was tantamount to having an affair. The level of guilt has grown steadily over the past two years and I am more alone than ever with a habit that is now as powerful as ever, but hugely disruptive to my sense of worth.

During that time my wife and I have moved and gone into a joint business. This means we can go weeks where we are together every minute of the day. We started off very well, but as it has grown, the demands have increased and over the last year my wife's health has left her very de-motivated. She does not sleep much and is now permanently irritable. I am less effective than I could/should be and am feeling the burden. I now spend most days wearing nylon underwear and it is almost my only source of comfort, for which I feel intense guilt.

I am desperately worried that my wife and I are going down the same path that ended my first marriage, but I do believe that love is still there and if we could arrest this slide into non-communication it could only help. The last thing I want, though, is to burden her with my issues in addition to her own. That is a cowardly way of looking at it in some ways, yet I really fear for our future if things carry on as they are.

Working and living so closely and with little time-out, I have lost my individual life almost entirely, except for my 'secret corner'.

My doctor referred me to counselling, but that was disrupted when we had to move again recently. We have moved in with my father-in-law as he is no longer able to cope alone. Although the house has been completely re-done to give us all enough space, and we are now back in what was my wife's child-hood home, the strain of being with a fading eighty-plus year-old is adding to all our woes.

I discovered crossdressers.com some months ago and after a flurry of posts, wasn't sure how best to contribute. A dip into depression didn't help - but now I am struggling to come out the other side.

This has turned into a far bigger post than I intended - so apologies for that. I am not sure even what I am expecting by putting it up, but who knows. Sharing might help!

Joy Carter
12-10-2007, 02:59 AM
I'd say dressing is not the problem with you. You feel guilt over it and a sense of failure. You are using it as a couping mechanism in your like for sure.
But I guess you already knew all this.
My one saving grace in my life was to just accept it, and move on to the things that matter. I no longer feel shame about who I am. I like myself for the first time in my life.

I can relate to your issues with taking care of a loved one. But it's another duty we all must take part in. Your very courageous in doing so. You know that ? It won't last forever, and you need to get out once in a while with your wife, just to give you both a break. Your wife sounds like she's a lovely person. And she still is that same person. You just need to be there for her during this trying time. Just don't give up on things.

:hugs:Joy Belinda Carter

Darlene Rochelle
12-10-2007, 03:55 AM
I know and understand how you feel. Some days I am not happy at who I see in the mirror,and not being able to dress to match who I see makes it more difficult.

Ashley Williams
12-10-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi Joy, and thanks for your supportive words.

Oh yes! I know more about coping mechanisms than I really want to, and am well aware that this is just a coming-together of a number of elements that have little or nothing to do with my 'secret corner'.

One of the most painful things, though, is the loneliness. I cannot stop the thoughts that go round and round but don't at the moment, have a constructive route of expression.

I wonder - when and how you reached the stage of self-acceptance that you now enjoy?

This is a quick response during my lunch - so forgive the brevity - but thanks for the response.

All the Best

Ashley Williams
12-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Hi - and thanks for responding to my thread. This is a quick reply during lunch.

You have really hit on something there - the image one sees in the mirror and the reality inside? I am sure that for many people there is a gap - but for cross-dressers generally it must surely be bigger than for most people.

I do not want to be a woman, but I just love the look of a lovely long slip and, when I can feel positive about it, the feel of nylon on my skin. But sometimes I detest the skin itself, and feel like an alien in my body - with bits and pieces all over the place.

Anyway - thanks again for your rapid response - all the best.

RobertaFermina
12-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Sounds like the problem is "living so closely", and I think I detect, not having very much fun time together.....

Sounds like the problem is somewhere else, and your guilt about your fancy drawers is only complicating the issue by amplifying the negative feelings that are already there.....

:rose: :2c: :rose:

Joy Carter
12-10-2007, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Lesley139;1115720]Hi Joy, and thanks for your supportive words.

One of the most painful things, though, is the loneliness. I cannot stop the thoughts that go round and round but don't at the moment, have a constructive route of expression.

I wonder - when and how you reached the stage of self-acceptance that you now enjoy?

I have been tortured by the need to express this side of me, ever since I can remember. It made me a very unhappy man. Not to go into it deeply, it ruined a much loved career. The thoughts were with me constantly.
I just really need a break from that and I came here, made some friends, and now go out when I can.
Sometimes you just need to give in and be who you are. I'm still exploring who I am. But I know it was right for me.
My relationship with my wife is all important. But in spite of how up setting this has been to her, I had to be me. She acknowledges me but wants no part of Joy. I can respect that.
I only shared this with you not as a cure for what you need to do. But as an example. Were all different in what we expect from our selves.

Good luck an I hope you find your way.

docrobbysherry
12-10-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm not a psychologist. However, and u may have heard this before, " Those that ignore past history, r doomed to relive it". Or some such verbiage. I believe u may be able to look into your past, and find salvation for your future. Only u have the experience and ability find the way to happiness. Guilt is a terrible curse, and it can poison everything in your life! Cding is such an exciting, enjoyable experience for me. My wish is that it will become that for u, too.
RS

Ashley Williams
12-11-2007, 05:48 PM
When I read messages like yours, I realise that there can be more than misery in this situation - and I am happy that you are at ease with your dressing. I do aspire to be too - one day!

Thanks for the response.

All the Best

Ashley Williams
12-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Well - lets take some strength in struggling together. As you say, most of the posts are very positive, but it is hard to overturn 40 years of generally very mixed, mostly guilt-laden feelings about what I feel compelled to do, especially as in virtually every other aspect of my life I am not a compulsive person!

You are welcome to tell me more - and see if I can help you shed some light too. I am not sure how it is done, but it is possible to send private messages too, so it doesn't all have to be broadcast to the world!

Hopefully be in touch again soon!

All the Best

Ashley Williams
12-11-2007, 05:57 PM
I am sure that the lack of fun in my relationship is certainly a factor in my life right now!

Like the so-called naughty member of the family, I am also sure that I can conveniently use my cross-dressing as a scapegoat for many ills!

One of the factors, after so long in this situation, one way or another, is the skill with which we can fool ourselves and pick on the weakest part of ourselves to blame!

Anyway - thanks for your response. It is very interesting the different things that people have picked up on - all valid to some extent at least.

All the Best

Ashley Williams
12-14-2007, 10:08 AM
<Quote> I have been tortured by the need to express this side of me, ever since I can remember. It made me a very unhappy man. Not to go into it deeply, it ruined a much loved career. The thoughts were with me constantly.

Sorry I missed your last post, somehow. I am not very adept with this forum yet.

When I think of the number of circular thoughts this compulsion has set in train and the disruption to my life, it is sometimes amazing that I have any sanity left, though sometimes that doesn't feel like much.

Anyway - thanks again for responding to my post. It has come at a crucial time, as I have decided that I must now talk to my wife properly about what is going on for me.

I have been doing a lot of searching and have found another couple of very helpful sites, including one that is maintained by a support group literally a few miles from my home.

I wish you happiness - in whatever measure and whatever route you take!

All the Best

Lesley