PDA

View Full Version : Performance Art

Elizabeth Ann
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
There is an interesting article in today's Washington Post about men wearing makeup (you can find it on the washingtonpost.com web site in the style section).

The author tries, I think, to control her ridicule of "boys behaving girly," but seems to love words like "guyliner" and likes to point out the silliness of rebranding women's makeup.

The interesting part of the article is down about halfway, where she quotes Beth Loffreda, "an associate professor of English at the University of Wyoming who also teaches courses in gender and sexuality." Loffreda is quoted as saying:

"Women have for a long time always been able to treat our appearances as a kind of theater. . . There's no denying the pleasure of giving a really good hair performance. I think that men--and especially straight men--haven't had nearly as much access to that kind of theatricality and the pleasure of that theatricality."

This quote has a ring of truth to me, but perhaps that is because I am more of a fetish dresser. I would be interested in others thoughts.

One last quote from the article:

"As university professor and cultural contemplator Camille Paglia once said, 'A woman putting on men's clothes merely steals social power. But a man putting on women's clothes is searching for God.'"

I haven't a clue what that means.

Elizabeth

Kate Simmons
12-10-2007, 09:30 AM
What most CD's don't know Elizabeth Ann is that it is part of their inherent spirituality. Most, however, don't get past the "wonderment" phase. It's only the tip of the "iceberg" really.:happy:

Marla S
12-10-2007, 09:49 AM
"Women have for a long time always been able to treat our appearances as a kind of theater. . . There's no denying the pleasure of giving a really good hair performance. I think that men--and especially straight men--haven't had nearly as much access to that kind of theatricality and the pleasure of that theatricality."
That's certainly true.
Despite there is/would be a broader range of styles for men only a tight slot is accpeted usually. Beyond that slot you'll get snide comments.

"As university professor and cultural contemplator Camille Paglia once said, 'A woman putting on men's clothes merely steals social power. But a man putting on women's clothes is searching for God.'"

I haven't a clue what that means.
Me neither. Despite there can be spirituality to it, I don't know what that has to do with searching for God.
Sounds like an attempt to preserve the gender hierarchy.
Women do it for profane reasons. For men it has to be something bigger to justify "climbing down" to femininity. (per aspera ad astra so to speak ;))

Bethany_Anne_Fae
12-10-2007, 10:31 AM

That is a really interesting quote! I'm gonna ponder over that one a bit.

Zara

carolinewalker_2000
12-10-2007, 10:57 AM
"Women have for a long time always been able to treat our appearances as a kind of theater. . . There's no denying the pleasure of giving a really good hair performance. I think that men--and especially straight men--haven't had nearly as much access to that kind of theatricality and the pleasure of that theatricality."Elizabeth

I think she means - "women like to show off" and men don't get the chance!

carolinewalker_2000
12-10-2007, 11:03 AM
"As university professor and cultural contemplator Camille Paglia once said, 'A woman putting on men's clothes merely steals social power. But a man putting on women's clothes is searching for God.'"Elizabeth

Typical quote from an academic!! Anyone can interpret it to suit their own prejudices, yet it says absolutely nothing of any real use!

If an MtoF CD'er is searching for God as woman, then, logically, a FtoM CD'er is looking for the white bearded God depicted by Michaelangelo on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel! (Although as I understand Michaelangelo was a homosexual, I'm not sure what any of this means!!

(My head hurts; I'm going to bed with a large G&T!)

Cassy11
12-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Some women may treat their appearanced as theater. At some parties when a attractive women walks into the room the most critical looks and comments come from other women in the room. Could be they are worried that a man with a little makeup will steal their thunder. I can just hear it now, his eye makeup looks better that hers.

docrobbysherry
12-10-2007, 12:39 PM
What most CD's don't know Elizabeth Ann is that it is part of their inherent spirituality. Most, however, don't get past the "wonderment" phase. It's only the tip of the "iceberg" really.:happy:

I prefer "wonderment phase", to, "theatrical", to describe my CDing. However, either one is accurate. Exploring the rest of my feminine side will have to wait until my next life. I want God to be very clear about my gender. I'm NOT quite ready to spend all eternity as a woman!
RS