PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatrist is helping me transition!!!

Taylor105
12-10-2007, 03:27 PM
I was so scared but I came out to my shrink today and it was awesome!! He said he didn't have any other trans patients but that he knew my head was in the right place. He has seen that I have always been stable. And he said he would read anything I brought in or help in any way possible to help me through my transition!! I mean he's a doc and he can write me a script for T anytime. But he wants me to see an endocrinologist first. I agree with that. I mean those of you guys in America that are on T, what all did you have to go through to get your scripts? I knew that one of the main things for me was to get my shrink on board because if he wasn't then I felt there was no way I would ever get on T. And he was all, this will be a journey for me too. He said he will walk alongside me through my journey from a boy to a man. How cool is that? I told him about you guys and how this was my support group. And I thought I would let you guys hear my good news. So where do I go from here? My doc didn't really know. He said he would do some research but he doesn't really know and neither do I. So some help here would be great. I'm walking on air right now.

Kieron Andrew
12-10-2007, 03:34 PM
I was so scared but I came out to my shrink today and it was awesome!! He said he didn't have any other trans patients but that he knew my head was in the right place. He has seen that I have always been stable. And he said he would read anything I brought in or help in any way possible to help me through my transition!! I mean he's a doc and he can write me a script for T anytime. But he wants me to see an endocrinologist first. I agree with that. I mean those of you guys in America that are on T, what all did you have to go through to get your scripts? I knew that one of the main things for me was to get my shrink on board because if he wasn't then I felt there was no way I would ever get on T. And he was all, this will be a journey for me too. He said he will walk alongside me through my journey from a boy to a man. How cool is that? I told him about you guys and how this was my support group. And I thought I would let you guys hear my good news. So where do I go from here? My doc didn't really know. He said he would do some research but he doesn't really know and neither do I. So some help here would be great. I'm walking on air right now.YAY!! Good for you Taylor, i just knew it was gonna be possible for you, im sure Lex or Tristan can point you in the right direction as they are stateside....i will look for some links you can possibly give your doctor :), but yes you will need to be referred to an endo at some point

Taylor105
12-10-2007, 04:05 PM
I've been walking around with cat who ate the canary look on my face for the last hour. Oh my God does this feel good!! Of course I also need to know about how much this stuff is going to cost me. I'm not a rich man but I will figure somehow some way of getting the money for my T.

ZenFrost
12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Way to go! For some guidelines on what to do you can try the Henry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association "Standards of Care: The Hormonal and Surgical Sex Reassignment of Gender Dysphoric Persons." which can be found here (http://www.symposion.com/ijt/soc_2001/index.htm).

SirTrey
12-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Wow, that IS wonderful news, Taylor!!! BIG congratulations, dude!! :)

Taylor105
12-10-2007, 04:40 PM
Way to go! For some guidelines on what to do you can try the Henry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association "Standards of Care: The Hormonal and Surgical Sex Reassignment of Gender Dysphoric Persons." which can be found here (http://www.symposion.com/ijt/soc_2001/index.htm).

Thank you so so much for this link. I'm going to print it out and give it to my doc. :) I don't see him again for another three months so maybe I can take this down tomorrow and tell him I am starting my three month thingy. But how do they prove it? Do I keep a journal or something? I've been living full time as a male since March of this year and my shrink knows that and believes me. I wonder if that would be sufficiant.

Felix
12-10-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm so pleased for ya Taylor Hun xx Felix :hugs::hugs:

ZenFrost
12-10-2007, 04:56 PM
Thank you so so much for this link. I'm going to print it out and give it to my doc. :) I don't see him again for another three months so maybe I can take this down tomorrow and tell him I am starting my three month thingy. But how do they prove it? Do I keep a journal or something? I've been living full time as a male since March of this year and my shrink knows that and believes me. I wonder if that would be sufficiant.

Think of them like the Pirate code. More like guidelines rather than actual rules.

Tristan
12-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Hey Taylor,

For me I started with counseling through gblt place in town. After three months of seeing her, she offered to write me the referrel to psych. That guy met with me once and wanted to do a personality test (because that's how they do it here). I have a long psych history at that place and convinced him that if I had a personality disorder they should have tested for it by now. Anyway I needed that psych referral to the endocrinologist who is the one who manages my prescription. I met him once and he did an exam, sort of like a physical but without the yucky girl stuff they do every year. Then he did blood work to check some levels out then I got the script. For me it was my counselor who proved I had met the three months requirement. It's not rigid, but he might want documentation from friends or etc that you are living full time.

kerrianna
12-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Congrats Mr Cat-ate-the-canary! :happy::hugs::love:

It feels good to have allies who have some clout doesn't it? I like that he said he'd be there alongside you on your journey.

I came out to my GP doc last week and he pretty much said the same thing...that he would be happy to help me with anything I needed. It felt great to just be accepted and validated like that.

I think journalling is an excellent idea whether it is for 'evidence' or just for yourself. I'm doing it myself these days and it does help get some things out of my head where they rattle around (yes, there is a lot of empty space in there apparently :p). As far as proving you are living the life, it is probably evident by how you answer questions and how you just 'are.'

Just remember that they don't ask you to do all these things to stop you being who you are....they do it FOR you. You do these things to build your own solid foundation.

Good luck Taylor. :hugs:

Sharon
12-10-2007, 07:37 PM
Very cool, Taylor -- it sounds like you have a terrific doctor!

Your shrink can write a note for you as an introduction for you to give an endocrinologist, one where he has diagnosed you as transgendered. Then it will be up to you to find an endo within reasonable distance to you, but I wouldn't think that it would be too difficult to find one. The endo will probably ask you a few questions about your current transition status, so just explain things to him or her as well as you can.

Congratulations!:happy:

KrazyKat
12-10-2007, 09:44 PM
How wonderful, Taylor, so happy for you, Dude!! Looking forward to your journey as well!! Happy for you to share it!!

NOw go find a RAVE or something!!:rave:

DanielMacBride
12-10-2007, 10:18 PM
:hugs: That's FANTASTIC news Taylor!! YAY!!!! :D

I am SO happy for you, dude :D

Daniel :drink:

Syr_SwitchyGQ
12-10-2007, 10:22 PM
That's awesome news Taylor! :D:D:D Good luck with this process... this is just the first step, but I hope the rest of it goes just as smoothly for you. :hugs: :thumbsup:

BadassBabyBrother
12-10-2007, 11:32 PM
I ain't got much else to say, but Congrats & Good Luck! :thumbsup: :D

John
12-11-2007, 11:27 AM
woo! Thats grate news mate!:D

Adam
12-11-2007, 06:53 PM
very cool :) thats great to hear hope all goes well for you :D

boi_0h
12-11-2007, 06:58 PM
That's great Taylor, good luck! :D

durden
12-12-2007, 01:09 AM
You're going to be walking around w/that unbelievable feeling for a good while. Congrats. :D

aethen
12-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Hug YAYs to you. That's really great news.

Watch out for the hornies. They're deadly. Well, I suspect they're deadlier for me than for Tristan, but still...

~Mark