PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Welk Re-runs?

barbara blue
12-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Am I the only one who likes to watch Lawrence Welk Re-runs?The bouffant hair is #1. I can do without some of the neon colored clothes though!:)

Genifer Teal
12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
My memory of these shows was that by the time the closing song finished, I had to be all the way up stairs and in bed. I woud start the climb at the first chorus of "Good nite, good nite" and slowly climb each step - procrastinating as much as I could. THen as the song ended, dash to my room at the end of the hall and jump into bed. I was not even in first grade at the time.

Gen

mudanjel
12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Yep, I watch them occasionally. I like the music quite a bit. It's fun to see the Lennon Sisters now and then.

:happy:

Stephenie S
12-12-2007, 07:34 PM
No Barbara, you are not the only one. I love 'em. Well, most of them. Well, some of them. Well, if I have nothing better to do.

Really though, I do enjoy that glimps into a simpler time.

Stephenie

caryn m
12-12-2007, 07:43 PM
what a wonderful time when women actually dressed like women nylons, heels, frilly dresses big hair what a great time caryn

charlie
12-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Well, "turn off the bubble machine, the ballroom is filled with bubbles"! The shows were good. Must be on a cable station #103 or so.

Joy Carter
12-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Ooooooh The Lennon Sisters ! I always thought the youngest one, with blond hair would be my bride one day. I think she was four years older than I. :(
And how about "Big Tiny Little" on the "tinkler piano"? He really was great.:D

PeggySue
12-12-2007, 08:26 PM
I watched the show as a kid until I went to college, and now they are on PBS so I am catching up on the ones I missed. I like seeing the older ones again too. Brings back the memories. A simpler time, but a more difficult time for CD's. This forum didn't exist!

chrissietoo
12-12-2007, 09:12 PM
I love them too...the women are mesmerizing! :hugs:

Here's a site for the girls. (http://www.welkgirls.com/)

Jenny Beth
12-12-2007, 09:22 PM
I've been catching some of those reruns too. I love the gowns but I agree some of those colours were a bit much.

Kris
12-12-2007, 09:22 PM
Gosh I remember Karen Carpenter being a guest star on the show.......

Makes me think of good memories of my father... (wish he was still alive)

Did you all watch Hee Haw too? TV was so much different back then.

When Johnny Carson died, I couldn't quit crying.. I felt like a generation died with him. I get so sad when my kids don't even know who he was.

okay, now I am going to go cry myself to sleep.

Kris

Ðarissa
12-12-2007, 10:24 PM
I used to watch LW when my parents would turn it on. I always liked the dancing. :D

Melinda G
12-12-2007, 11:12 PM
I love watching the women. But I'm not into plaid sportcoats, and horn rimmed glasses. :D

Lizzie Kay
12-12-2007, 11:33 PM
I just have to laugh at this one gals! Please, not at you though! My 80 some year old father watched LW "religiously" every Saturday night on PBS.

This summer he spent 3 weeks in a hospital here, while his Doctors tried to figure out what was wrong, he's ok now, it just took a massive change in his meds. He was a very domineering man, and he is a Hall of Fame John Wayne fan, LOL.

My GG sis and I got into a row as to what the Doctors were saying and what we each were percieving. Of course, mischevious old Dad couldn't refuse to get a little more "fuel" on the fire between us.

Well, he succeeded and as a result he got us both pissed at each other..

OKAY, I'll wrap this up... I finally called and talked to him about a week after we got him back to his house. I called during the LW show. He explained he was in the middle of LW and couldn't talk. I said that's fine, it truly was, and I said my good byes and hung up.

Well he has a penchant for misdialing on his "new" cell phone, and a few minutes later, he inadvertantly called and I heard him exclaim to my mom that he thought I had a problem...

I dialed his house number and said, excuse me you just called me on your cell phone and I heard you say that you thought I had a problem...

He told me, that he didn't say that at all! He said that he told Mom that he thought that Lawrence Welk had a problem...

I laughed and I asked him, What kind of a problem Dad? Lawrence has been dead for over 20 years....

Ahhh Wunnerful, wunnerful...

I'd love to go en femme and see my Dad just to tease him and get him all hot under his boxers!!! LOL

Hugs!

Liz

PS Enjoy Lawrence, Larry, Joe, and the crew girls!

trannie T
12-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Gawd! Horrible music and polyester. If somebody else enjoys Larry that's fine with me please don't make me listen though.

Angie G
12-13-2007, 12:46 AM
My dad watched it back in the day it never was my kind of music. my thing was Band Stand :hugs:
Angie

sterling12
12-13-2007, 02:18 AM
My big problem with "The Welk Formula," really detracts from just about everything else on that show.

Welk knew his swing dance audience was getting older, so he would slow the tempo by about a quarter and really mangle the beat. It made "Hot Swing," sound dull and took all the edge off of it. Add to the show the term "relentlessly corny," silly novelty songs, bizarre costumes, ridiculous themes, and the fact that he made every bald guy wear a truly bad rug, this does not make for a pleasant experience!

Yes, the women appeared to be very feminine and they had lots of pettis and swing dresses....but just about impossible to stomach all the drivel.

Peace and Love, Joanie

KatieZ
12-13-2007, 07:18 AM
The Lawrence Welk show was cancelled due to too much Sax and Violins. :heehee:

KayHenderson
12-13-2007, 11:05 AM
The Lawrence Welk show was cancelled due to too much Sax and Violins.

All right...that's enough of that.:happy:

You're twisted enough to appreciate my blog:

http://kentraco.blogspot.com

TerriM
12-13-2007, 11:16 AM
Believe it or not but I used to watch Lawerence Welk on the TV when I was in Vietnam in 1968. It was great to see american girls. There wasnt that many where I was. Also I liked the hairdos.

Yours Terri

JoAnnDallas
12-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Believe or not, when I was younger around 6-7, my mother jsut loved Liberace. She used watch him everytime he would appear on TV. Now he was GAY and proud of it and didn't care who knew. Not sure of his brother George. LOL. It's kinda funny, he was GAY, everyone knew it, and still they loved him. I heard once that at one of his concerts, someone started heckling him and got thrown out of the building. This was back in the 1950's.

barbara blue
12-13-2007, 07:19 PM
I think we need to rent a bus and all go to Branson, missouri to the Lawrence Welk Theater and see the show dressed to the nines! No that's what I call a vacation!
Get out those petticoats girls.
:)

Melinda G
12-13-2007, 09:07 PM
and the fact that he made every bald guy wear a truly bad rug, this does not make for a pleasant experience!

Huh? I never noticed the guys. I was mentally undressing the Lennon sisters.:D

sterling12
12-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Hi Melinda:

I also played in bands, saxophone and clarinet. When your a "player," you tend to notice what other guys who play in bands are doing.

Welk had a lot of talented musicians in the band. He offered them security and a life off the road. They traded security for the satisfaction of playing in a great band.

So, I noticed. My favorite Wig remembrance was poor Pete Fountain, who played for Welk for several years. Pete was really BALD, and later in life he shaved his head, probably because he had so little hair left. Anyway, if you can find some old pics, take a look at the cold black wig that poor Pete had to wear....you will get the idea! Looks sort of like a bad imitation of Mitch Miller, (another guy who wore a wig!)

Obviously, as a CD I have nothing against Wigs. But when I see a really bad rug, it reminds me that we need to really work to look natural. There were plenty examples of that on The Show!

Peace and Love, Joanie

SherriePall
12-14-2007, 03:00 PM
Even with some of those hairstyles and some of those colors, the women on LW were always dressed up! Next to watching Vanna White, I love to watch the LW Show for the clothes.
BTW, LW visited my town once years ago and I am in a photo about four people away from him. En drab, of course.

tracigirl_tv
12-14-2007, 03:12 PM
When my daughter was younger (she's an old head of TEN now *lol*) she used to love watching The LW Show. I'm sure it was the colors that got her....with the dancing and the music too. Maybe when she's eighty or so, she'll get back into the show :)