PDA

View Full Version : Does Anybody Really Care What Clothes You Wear?

Laurie909
12-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Yesterday I was shopping. It was in the low 30s (F) outside. I noticed a girl all bundled up with a heavy coat but she was wearing flip-flops on her feet. I didn't notice anyone laughing or coming up to her to say, "Hey it's 30 degrees outside....aren't your feet cold?"

Look, I don't really care if that stupid girl wear flip-flops in freezing weather or not, but that's my point. Do other people REALLY care how you're attired? I think not, and besides it's nobody's business what you wear. Right?

sara_also
12-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Yous right Laurie.

Besides, tomorrow they won't even remember anything about yesterday..

Joy Carter
12-17-2007, 05:06 AM
I have been out in the public several times. And the majority don't care. Rare is that anyone would say anything. Just dress nicely and most will accept you face to face.

Nadia-Maria
12-17-2007, 05:21 AM
You are right : people who don't know you, dont' care.

lisa_e_love
12-17-2007, 06:40 AM
In drab I often wear a big winter coat on top and shorts on the bottom because I want to be warm but I still want some ventilation going on or else I'll just fry. I'm kind of coldblooded- I like the thermostat to be set around 65 degrees. But, I don't think anyone comments. Somewhat condescending friends will make comments about sandals in cold weather or socks with sandals or the like, but for the most part people won't really say anything if you're dressed oddly.

CAROLINE FROST
12-17-2007, 06:57 AM
I don't know about everybody else but i know how i feel about what i look like even though i haven't taken the plunge yet and left the house, i would hate to think that i had let not only myself down but anyone who knows me down, or making others feel ashamed of the way i look. Most women would sooner stay in than appear in public looking a mess, so i think it only right that as i am aiming to try and be accepted as a woman that i try my darndest to keep up the female image. Sorry if this has come across as a bit strong but i am passionate about my image and how i portray myself in public. Caroline :love::love:

erickka
12-17-2007, 07:59 AM
It seems that poeple are too engrossed in themselves to really give a hoot how others are dressed. The only thing that I really notice is someone who looks really "out of place" otherwise, I don't really pay other too much attention.

Chari
12-17-2007, 08:14 AM
People everywhere are more concerned about their own lives and the tasks at hand, especially during this holiday season. Most don't care about how you look as long as you are not the center of attention or look better than they do.:heehee: Always wear whatever you are comfortable in - fem, drab, or both, as you will probably never see those people again and if you do, they may not remember you. :2c:

Enjoy your holidays, Chari

mollytyler
12-17-2007, 09:41 AM
in my very androgenous days it was just a matter of dressing with style and my co-workers just accepted my methods as normal after short period of time-those "blurred" gender days were fun and I just went with the flow. Now as Molly they just expect me to dress professionally and again with Style!!!!

SANDRA MICHELLE
12-17-2007, 12:05 PM
I am convinced that one hundred years from now nobody will remember what you were wearing at the mall today so what does it really matter, wear what you want to and be proud of who you are. I for one love my skirts and tops along with my heels and don't care what others think of it, I do it for me!!!

Cheyenne Skye
12-17-2007, 01:40 PM
There are still a few fashion trends that should be avoided, even if nobody really cares. For instance, the idea that young women have (and I've seen a few guys do it too) that it is acceptable to wear your pajama bottoms and slippers out of the house to run to the grocery store or such. I look at these people and want to go up to them and tell them to go home and put on some real clothes. To me it's the same as going out in just your underwear. And nobody wants to see that. (Unless you are a Victoria's Secret Model.)

kay2
12-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Hmm - in my experience I get quite a few comments, questions, stares, laughs. I've posted about these in the past. I call myself FF (Fashion Freedom). No attempt to pass - no makeup, wig, or forms. Sometimes I am in total drab except for nail polish. Sometimes I wear a skirt, and sometimes mj flats. I also like scarfs and rings.

Even just clear nail polish and I notice people repeatedly glancing at my hands. I wore colored polish about a week ago. and I got several "What's with the polish?" comments. A denim skirt in the market in the summer and I see kids pointing, concerned looks, teens laughing. These don't bug me much - I just ignore the rude people and talk with the polite people. On the plus side I get regular compliments from some women, and even an expression of envy from the rare man.

The comments several posters make above about it not mattering in the long run are true. However, as for noticing, I'd have to say definitely yes - lots of people notice - all the time.

shirley1
12-17-2007, 04:57 PM
i havnt actually been out dressed in public yet but am aiming to do so soon if i can find the nerve - its interesting that a lot of you say most people dont take any notice - for someone who hasnt yet gone out you would think totally the opposite - i wondered if anyone had experienced anyone looking awkward as they pass you or if you sat down on a bench next to someone them then make it obvous they had read you and make a hasty retreat away from you - i would hazard a guess the more convincing you look the less wrong attention youd get - if you look totally convincing i wouldnt have thought anyone would notice - i have heard mannerisms are also important to pass but would have thought that how you look is more important as not all women are particulary feminine in their body language high heels seem to make me walk more femininely anyway - but its interesting that most people dont care or take any notice almost reasurering in a way

tricia_uktv
12-17-2007, 05:32 PM
Laurie, answer is no!

Jilmac
12-17-2007, 05:44 PM
You nialed it Laurie, now if I can only convince my family....:tongueout Jill

Patti Girl
12-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Do other people REALLY care how you're attired? I think not, and besides it's nobody's business what you wear. Right?

Laurie,

You asked one question. Actually I think there are three questions:

1) Do people notice?

2) Do they react?

3) Do they care?

Probably a lot more notice than we realize. They just don't react in a way that is obvious.

Do they care? That probably depends on their own feelings and how "normal" or "outrageous" one looks. Living in a midwest rural area, some of the dress considered "normal" in a big city college area 60 miles away would probably cause people to run home and lock their doors here, LOL!

Patti

Laurie909
12-18-2007, 04:20 AM
Getting back to the orginal story, If I had approached that girl wearing the flip-flops in 30 degree weather and said, "Excuse me miss, but it's entirely inappropriate to wear sandals in this kind of weather." She would have probably ignored me of just told me to get out of the way. If she had been with her boyfriend or husband he might have told me to "go to.....you-know-where."

I think it is safer to be with someone than be alone though. If I were out dressed I would like to be with a male friend of mine who is 6" 4" and weighs 265 lbs. However, just because you're big and tall doesn't mean nobody's going to bother you. In college people were always trying to pick fights with him just to show they weren't intimidated by his size.

Ema1234 GG
12-18-2007, 11:15 AM
I noticed a girl all bundled up with a heavy coat but she was wearing flip-flops on her feet.

Maybe she has a problem with her feet that means she can't wear full shoes (I know someone at work who does have a complaint that means she has to wear open toed shoes all the time).

Perhaps she'd just had a pedicure and didn't want to ruin it?

Eugenie
12-18-2007, 06:55 PM
Like most women, I dress to please mayself first and I can be very picky on what I decide to wear... I take great care in assorting tops and bottoms, in wearing matched underwear, eventhough nobody else than me is likely to see them...

But like most women I'm also careful of what I think about how other people will react when seing me out in the street or when visiting friends...

Being dressed in a "strange" manner, by that I mean being too different than most women my age and body features (I'm rather on the plump side), is the best way to get nasty remarks...

So indeed, most people don't really care that you are x-dressing, but they might rect if youare x-dressing in a shaby way or in a provacative way, just as they would react for a GG doing the same thing...

:hugs:
Eugenie

vikki2020
12-18-2007, 07:38 PM
These days, pretty much everybody is jumping from the car to whichever store your at,so I guess you don't have to look like an Eskimo when you go out.All I have are heels and skirts, and I've been out in the winter months, but still don't think I want to get out there after a recent snowfall!

Kimberly Marie Kelly
12-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I think more people notice than we realize. For me I am not as into makeup or wearing wigs as much. I tend to wear short mini skirts or athletic shorts ( Nike Cardio Shorts) and Spandex pants, boot cuts, ankle leggings, tights etc. I also usually wear tunic tops, definitely feminine style.

Don't generally wear a bra yet in public, but I notice people do look, but I haven't heard comments from them directed to me. I think since I am not in ragged blue jeans or crappy shirt they notice & I am not presently making any attempt to pass as a woman most of the time. I am still trying to lose some weight and learn make-up skills before trying to pass as a women.

Just wear what you like, as far as it is not against the laws.:happy:

Christine Kelly
12-19-2007, 07:07 AM
There are still a few fashion trends that should be avoided, even if nobody really cares. For instance, the idea that young women have (and I've seen a few guys do it too) that it is acceptable to wear your pajama bottoms and slippers out of the house to run to the grocery store or such. I look at these people and want to go up to them and tell them to go home and put on some real clothes. To me it's the same as going out in just your underwear. And nobody wants to see that. (Unless you are a Victoria's Secret Model.)

I agree with your sentiments.

I have often thought: I should just start going out wearing my robe and slippers next time, just to make a point about it all.

But then again: If a girl or guy can go out wearing pjs and slippers, surely no one would object to a guy dressed nicely,
even if it is girl clothes! :happy:

So, in a way, we should be happy that this happens. Even if one does not agree with it.

charlie
12-19-2007, 08:42 PM
I believe that Patti Girl hit the nail on the head. Yes people do notice. We seldom get the full hit of their scorn because most people have a reasonable amount of politeness and realize that others can dress and be as they like. We are raised to let others be for the most part. However, society does see and does react. Even if it is telling their partner about the "freak" that they saw today at the store. We are seen.

shirley1
12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
yeh i have wonderd about that if i was to just take the bull by the horns and walk down to my local supermarket dressed would anyone say anything - i would imagine the answer is yes but not to my face or in earshot - its i guess human nature anything a bit different talk have a giggle about it - to be honest i am forming the opinion if someones confident enough to go out dressed and not look convincing some people might actually be scared to say anything particulary if your not on your own they might think you are supremely confident about yourself and think they would come off worse if they did say anything - just a theory - my old neighbour thought i was ts due to overhearing me having conversations on the phone which she obviously heard through the thin walls - and i heard her say guys that go oout dressed as women must be really confident - so maybe thats it whether they care or not they wouldnt say anything for fear of what you might say back to them !

Phyliss
12-20-2007, 06:38 AM
I guess the general opinion is that as long as you don't "look out of place" most people either won't notice or care. I've had a few different conversations lately with others and have mentioned where I've purchased a particular item of clothing I'm wearing. Not a single negative comment.
Something like this:
"Nice jacket"
"Thanks, I picked it up at Fashion Bug."
"Cool, looks good on you."

Or this:
"Have you lost weight lately?"
"Yeah, down to a size 8, gotta love stretch denim."
"Nice"

I find that, by not much caring about reactions or being worried about "what will people think?" I can wear pretty much what I want.
That being said, I don't go out of my way to provoke a reaction in what I'm wearing. Heels, fishnets, mini skirt and sheer blouse, (which I own) might not be a good idea when going to the hardware store for a box of nails. However, Tall boots with 1" heel and F.B. jeans over them with turtle neck "pull over" from Dress barn, and plaid "big shirt" from W.W. is just as much ladies clothes, but they "blend in" . Hence the lack of negative comments.

Nicki B
12-20-2007, 07:36 AM
- and i heard her say guys that go oout dressed as women must be really confident - so maybe thats it whether they care or not they wouldnt say anything for fear of what you might say back to them !

You can get away with not really feeling confident - but you put a brave face on and act as if you are? And, guess what, people just TAKE YOU AT FACE VALUE - they think you are confident and know what you're doing? :)

And finding that other people believe in you then actually helps you to believe in yourself? This works for other areas of your life, as well... :winking: