PDA

View Full Version : Skirt sizes

Daniela
04-12-2005, 10:46 AM
hello all, i only own one skirt that i snagged a while back and i want to get some new ones, i just dont know how the womans skirt sizes convert to mens jeans. if anyone can help please do. i wear a 36 waist in jeans with a belt so i may need like a 35 or even squeeze into a 34 if i have to. im especially looking for a stretch denim mini.

thanks
~daniela

Julie York
04-12-2005, 10:58 AM
U.K. size 16 is about 34 to 36 inch waist.

32 to 34 inch waist is about size 14 in my experience but they can vary a bit depending on makers.

obsessedwithpantyhose
04-12-2005, 11:31 AM
here in usa im a 38 waist and i wear a 12/14 in skirts,,i look for the ones with a pull string around the waist and i pull the string out and replace it with some elsatic so it fits better and gives me room to move :D

Katie Ashe
04-12-2005, 12:14 PM
I have done some research on this, anyways my discovery is take the mens pant size and subtract 22... now you have the misses/juniors size. If your a women, add 22 to find the mens size for you. This has yet to fail me. I'm a size 16, and proved it one day at Old Navy. Hope this helps.

Katie

Daniela
04-12-2005, 12:43 PM
I have done some research on this, anyways my discovery is take the mens pant size and subtract 22... now you have the misses/juniors size. If your a women, add 22 to find the mens size for you. This has yet to fail me. I'm a size 16, and proved it one day at Old Navy. Hope this helps.

Katie

thanks katie, that brings up another question, whats with all the juniors/misses sizes and is there a regular womens. there are too many numbers, i just want to make sure i dont buy some little kids skirt haha.

Shy Charlotte
04-12-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by Katie Ashe

Katie

Hmm, not sure if that'd work right for me, since I also wear a men's 36 waist, and in a dress size (assuming there's enough arm clearance in the sleeves) is usually between 10-12 (12 is already starting to get too loose). According to the formula I'd be a size 14. I guess it just depends on the person.

In a skirt I like to go with something with a little bit of stretch to the material, and maybe you should try to go with about a size 10. In the S-M-L range usually I run between a L and an XL. A good, quick way to check if it'll fit you is to hold the skirt by the waist corners, then when no one's looking, try to wrap the garment around your waist across the front to see if the corners will touch either side of your waist. This method is usually pretty quick, and is the next best thing if you don't know your size and can't try it on. (note on this method: from my experience it actually turns out to run somewhat large, so you can go abit tighter).

Oh, just to complicate things, dress and clothing sizes (even shoes sizes) for women differ from maker to maker. Someone who worked retail told me at some stores they actually name certain sizes differently to boost women's egos. So supposedly, if the woman trys on a dress and thinks "Wow, I still fit into a size 7 after all these years" even though it's a size 10 like all her dresses, she's more likely to buy. Which makes it confusing for us to buy (unless we try it on, and that's why women spend so much time trying on clothes, whereas when guys get clothes sometimes we won't even hit the fitting room). Certain of the contemporary places run small, like Forever 21 and Xi, but others like Charlotte Russe and Nordstrum's run a bit large sometimes. Never tried anything from Old Navy before, so maybe all my fashion companies have just been stoking my ego this whole time, and I really am a size 14?

Katie Ashe
04-12-2005, 01:10 PM
Size 0-22 are junior/misses (which mean small to average petite women)
Size 22 and up are generally for full figured women.

kids clothes are numbers using number also, like "toddle size 12"

stay in the ladies dept and can't go wrong, like someone in the upper post said... my size is 16, but the next manufacture could be 14 or 18, but almost always i can safely buy a 16. It really depends on the Manufacture :o

Hope this helps...
Katie

Daniela
04-12-2005, 01:33 PM
thanks chicas!

Wendy me
04-12-2005, 05:21 PM
try this it works well....http://www.fredericks.com/services/help.asp?91

Cissy Suzie
04-12-2005, 05:43 PM
Something to keep in mind ...

You wear your men's jeans waist in a much different place than where your skirt should be worn.

I wear 31 inch waist Levi's ... yah yah I know I am a skinny little fart :p ... but you measure for a skirt above your pelvis and below your rib cage.

I realize that some of you grrls have more up there than below ... but that is where you wear a skirt. I measure about a 28 to 29 inch girly waist .... usually meaning I can get into a size 6 skirt, or a size 10 to 12 dress. I am 36 B or C uptop, depending on my mood :rolleyes:

Hips? Well go figure I have almost none, so I try to buy things that will help me conceal that little deficiency.

It is rather frustrating that my measurements don't really make sense sometimes when buying femme things, and it doesn't help a lot that different brands of women's clothing companies seem to use completely different criteria for sizing.

One manufacturer's 10 is another's 8 or another's 12. I imagine GG's have similar complaints though.

meghanbirch
04-13-2005, 02:03 AM
I am a 34" waist, and a size XL skirt fits me nicely.

Tristen Cox
04-13-2005, 03:24 AM
Suzie you think you're skinny? I wear 28 in men's but when I wear women's I'm a bloody six and could go smaller if I wanted! :p Not bad for my height. I still love rolling those numbers around in my head 36 x 28 x 36

AngelBelow
04-13-2005, 03:31 AM
I have to goto the children section to get my skirts X_X .... i am sooo skinny... it feels quite embarassing going into that section. but eh, that's just me i guess ^___^

~*AMH*~

Shining Star
04-13-2005, 05:57 AM
hi there julie york is right obout a 36" is a bout a size 14 to 16 i am a 32" and i wear size 10 to 12

Katie Ashe
04-13-2005, 07:52 AM
This is one of many websites I use at work because I suck at math. This direct link is for womens clothing conversions. http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm

This web site has a million conversions for everything, I couldn't do my job without it.

Hugs, Katie

For more info:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing.htm

Lindahexi
04-13-2005, 08:24 AM
I'm 34 waist and find UK size 14 best fit for skirts. I recently bought a size 16 because it looked right, but after trying it on I had to exchange it. If I buy knickers (panties) I need Uk size 16-18 for best fit.

Katie thanks for that website address, very useful.

Linda.

Kimberly
04-13-2005, 02:30 PM
:)

I won't pipe up from the corner, with my little size 10 skirt on... I can feel the eyes leering my way already :(

DonnaT
04-13-2005, 04:52 PM
See these threads:

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6028&highlight=string

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4527&highlight=string

Best advice I can give, aside from trying clothes on in the shops, is to take a string, measure around your waist and mark it one color, around your chest and mark it another color, around your neck and mark it a third color. Take the string with you to shop and and measure the clothes you like.

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4785&highlight=string

I've never had the guts to try anything on, always seem to be tons of people around. I do as someone here suggested a while back. Carry a string that I use as a measure. Hold the clothing up, and measure it with the piece of string. I have a red mark for waist, blue for hips, and green for bust. Haven't missed my size yet with this method. Thanks to whomever it was that suggested this. Huggs, Bonnie

Sarah Ellis
04-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Don't know if this helps.. it has been posted before somewhere on here.. if already on this thread then sorry for that.. thanx.. love Satin xx http://members.aol.com/Suzannehen/SizeConv.htm btw im jealous.. im more like 136 128 136, lol