PDA

View Full Version : Covering body hair?

Hana22
12-20-2007, 04:06 AM
I tried shaving my legs and chest for the first time today and the results are discouraging. I have extremely bad razor burn. I used a sharp razor and lots of shaving cream. Is there any secrets I don't know to smooth hair free skin?

Dee Jay
12-20-2007, 04:24 AM
I'm a recent convert to leg shaving (and I ain't going back to hairy legs!!!!).
I too suffered the red rash. It is a problem.
Basically you have to take it easy.
The red bumps will fade but it takes time for the healing process. Mine has almost gone 3 weeks after my first shave.
Be gentle, don't make too many passes over the same area.
Exfoliate first, but not too harshly.Use a decent exfoliant. Shave after/during showering or bathing.
When going against the grain be very gentle in sensitive areas.
After shaving, moisturise.
You won't get super smooth at the first attempt. This was the mistake I made.
Leave it at least a week before having another go. I'd wait till you can see the hairs again.

One thing to be said is that it's worth the hassle. There is NOTHING like the feeling of freshly shaved legs, especially when they are your own ;)

There are products out there that help heal the rash faster, but I'm a great believer in letting nature do what it does best. Besides these products are expensive, and one of them stinks apparently :)

Have fun!

DJ

Emma England
12-20-2007, 04:44 AM
I used to shave my legs, but there were problems of cutting myself and razor burn, plus the stubble grows back too quick which is also spikey.

I now have a full leg and underarm wax every 4 weeks. On Friday, I will also get my chest waxed too as my salon gave me a 3 for 2 voucher!

My beautician is always on at me to exfoliate and moisturize every day.

Stick with it. It will improve over the next couple of times as your skin adjusts to the new sensations.

JoAnnDallas
12-20-2007, 08:57 AM
One thing I have found is you need to use a good razer. I use a 3 blade razer and found with shaving cream or gel, it works the best. Then too, I am part Native American, thus don't have a lot of hair on my legs and chest anyway. And YES it is worth it. I shave my legs/chest/arms once a week and it is important to always use mortizer on your legs/chest/arms after shaving.

Patty
12-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I shave the whole body. I do it in sections (3) and all get done twice a week. Use a 3 blade razor also and it has a battery in it for vibrating. Use hair conditioner instead of razor gel. I use to be considered very hairy.

KandisTX
12-20-2007, 09:45 AM
One of the main causes of razor burn is that the skin was not properly prepared before shaving. I guess I have to thank my second wife for the following as it was her that taught me all about shaving my legs and the like. I shave from the nose to the toes and here is what I do to avoid the razor burn and such:

I shave in the tub, filling it with warm to hot water (not too hot, you do not want to burn the naughty bits). Soaking in the tub for a while allowing the water to “soften the skin” and make it a bit more pliable to the touch. Using a good shaving cream (Skintimates Shave Gel), and a new blade in my Venus razor, I am able to shave everything nice and smooth and without the nasty razor burn. Upon completion of the shave, PAT YOURSELF DRY DO NOT RUB, and apply a good skin lotion (something with Aloe, or Vitamin E or even plain old baby lotion works. You can also apply a generous coating of baby oil BEFORE YOU DRY OFF and trap some of that wonderful moisture in your skin.

There are two KEY items listed above. 1, soak in the tub to soften the skin and 2, use lotion afterwards. You will be amazed a how much smoother your legs feel and how much longer they will remain that way.

Kandis:love:

Jamies way
12-20-2007, 09:54 AM
I have been shaving everywear and everything for over a year now.. Your skin gets used to it. Try a good razor such as the Gillette Fusion - They are expensive but I get the closest and smoothest skin..
Good Luck.

Carly D.
12-20-2007, 10:10 AM
If you are in the shower trying to shave that can be tricky at best.. the one thing that they say on every razor and shaving cream women use is to use plenty of water.. my experience, and I go through the bloodletting process regularly like everyone else here, is to wait to shave the legs until the end of the shower.. and if you have a shower/tub, then put the plug in and have a sit down and shave.. I have tried to shave in the shower and while tricky it is doable.. anyway I have and still do on occasion get razor burn.. best thing for razor burn?? not sure, but time heals all wounds, how corny is that?.. as far as chest hair removal I do every spring, as a right of passage to the on coming warm weather, shave once a year because my chest hair starts to itch so bad, and it seems like my chest hair is falling out at that time (changing coats?).. but shaving my chest and shoulders and all is an excessive---ly hard thing to do because I look like I am the missing link between man and ape... I do shave to my near satisfaction and that's as good as it can ever be... p.s. when the hair grows back in, well let's just say you invent a new dance when that happens... the itch it..

Ðarissa
12-20-2007, 10:17 AM
I don't ever shave in the shower. Like KandisTX mentioned, I like to soak in a warm bath and after several minutes of laying back and relaxing, I then shave my legs.

Carla4Guage
12-20-2007, 10:25 AM
I guess that I'm the exception to the rule. I always shave in the shower. I have found that staying in the spray is extremely helpful prior to shaving. I have been using the female razor brand "Intimate" for the last year. I try to get EVERYTHING shaved twice a week. My wife does my back (when we don't get distracted) once a week. I do think that frequency makes things easier and less prone to redness. Good luck!