PDA

View Full Version : Confused. Between a rock and a hard place

Carin
12-23-2007, 06:40 AM
man or woman. male or female. masculine or feminine. The traditional binary definitions of human form with respect to gender, genetic or expression. A recent post (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68636)asked for insight to "Why men feel the need to dress in women's clothes" - a binary question. One of many similar posts.

Practical scientific or psychological reasoning aside, I can only conclude that I was born this way. But what is 'this way'. Before you jump to definitions it was a rhetorical question, for only I can answer. Before you dismiss the asking, the answers that many would come up with impugn my character, and my integrity. It causes stress for me and those I love. It causes me to act as if I have something devious to hide.

Going to the office restrooms the other day, I looked at the signs on the doors, and instinctively had a gut reaction. Damn, I thought, neither of these doors feels right. But I picked one anyway.

Early conditioning succeeded in hiding this state as a reasonable state for me for many years. Yet like the worker bee finding the flower, or the baby sea turtle born in the sand and racing to the ocean waves, this instinct can not be repressed. Oppressed maybe, but not repressed. Suppression only inflames it.

The binary attributes have their purpose. Perpetuation of the species and the rites of social behavior validate the binary states. Does that make an in-between state a confused state, a defect, an anomaly? The contradiction of what feels so right on the inside causing so much grief on the outside is almost unbearable enough to restore ones faith in the practice of lobotomy.

In the big scheme of things there is far worse strife inflicted on some. But we are all little fish in a big pond, each dealing with our world as we see it. We can choose to express ourselves according to the binary rules, choose one or the other or both but not at the same time. It is easier to follow the binary rules. In this case at least we have a language to define what it is we are doing, and an abundance of models to leverage, from the binary sites of Mars or Venus. Or we can ignore the binary guidebooks. Challenge the binary rules, convince those that want to listen that it not all black and white, ignore those that don't want to hear. Eventually the wordsmiths will normalize a language I suppose. There is just that minor little issue of course, the risk of loosing everything.

But back to the bathroom doors. The building architects need to redesign and add another door labeled ME. Oh that there could be such door. Maybe we all could use it.

It has taken me many years to understand this much of who i am. Yet all can say is I am ME. Some mix, yes confused, of man, woman, male, female, masculine, feminine, from I don't know what planet. I can express myself better by appearance and presentation than with words. That appearance may look more feminine than masculine, yet it should not be judged as either. They say answers come from chaos so I suppose there is hope. There is much darkness along the path.

To those of you on the outside looking in and asking for answers, I hope I have conveyed in some small way that they are not easy to find from either side of the window. :confused:

Kate Simmons
12-23-2007, 07:27 AM
Looks pretty good to me from either side of the window Carin. I have come up with similar conclusions as yourself. What constitutes ME? A little bit of mystic and magic from both sides of the binary "fence" I'd suppose. This past year for myself has been one of exploration and amalgamation. I don't define myself as "he" or "she" any more but as a person. I don't feel I have to fulfill any set image or state and I am in full control of who I am and it's totally my choice as to which way I express myself. That's the easy part.

The hard part is that I've discovered that for me crossdressing is merely the tip of the iceberg. It has become mostly a spiritual issue and defining myself from that aspect isn't quite as easy as it may seem. My purpose is clear and so far I'm proceeding in a mostly positive character. It can be tricky, however, once a person gets past the initial stages and there are only raw feelings and instinct to rely on. What I've found is that being honest with myself and being true to myself is essential to move forward because self deception can be a great stumbling block to becoming whole. While emotions are essential for being human, managing them is another story and is really the key to spiritual growth. The adventure continues for now.:happy:

christina marie
12-23-2007, 08:07 AM
since finding this site and coming to know all the wonderful people here, i have lost a lot of my desire to know the reason why. at this point in my life, it is enough to just be able to accept myself for who i am. it fills me with confidence, you might even say empowers me, just to know that i am not alone. i am not a freak,pervert,wierdo,mentally defective person, or any of the other labels that have presented themselves along the journey to this place. i am me, nothing less,nothing more. for this, i thank you all! but i do agree, it is a long and scary road, i could understand it being even more so for those who feel a need to "fit in " in society. fortunately, my mother taught me at a very young age what the actual value of fitting in is(this is my opinion and please do not feel that i am trying to thrust it upon anyone, it is mine alone) at least for me. for any and all that tell me i must conform to some preconceived notion of how i should act,look or dress, i offer you a heartfelt :tongueout for those that have broadened their minds enough to look past the outside, and see the person within, i offer you all my best!

Angie G
12-23-2007, 08:39 AM
Wow that was well put hun if it wern't for the binary thing life would be easier for us girls and boy here :hugs:
Angie

Nicki B
12-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Nature doesn't do binary - it does variation. Historically, it was the Abrahamic religions which reinforced the binary view and 'outlawed' difference?

See the discussion from here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1062759#post1062759) for some other ideas???

Roberta Marie
12-23-2007, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Nicki B;1130895]Nature doesn't do binary - it does variation.

Also, the way that we sense the world around us is not binary. We sense light as an ifinite spectrum of color, and an infinite scale of brightness. Yet we most often describe it in a binary way, on or off.

Sound has an infinite variation of frequency or pitch and volume.

Heat has an infinite variation in tempreture.

Grace,
Bobbi

shirley1
12-23-2007, 08:29 PM
man or woman. male or female. masculine or feminine. The traditional binary definitions of human form with respect to gender, genetic or expression. A recent post (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68636)asked for insight to "Why men feel the need to dress in women's clothes" - a binary question. One of many similar posts.

Practical scientific or psychological reasoning aside, I can only conclude that I was born this way. But what is 'this way'. Before you jump to definitions it was a rhetorical question, for only I can answer. Before you dismiss the asking, the answers that many would come up with impugn my character, and my integrity. It causes stress for me and those I love. It causes me to act as if I have something devious to hide.

Going to the office restrooms the other day, I looked at the signs on the doors, and instinctively had a gut reaction. Damn, I thought, neither of these doors feels right. But I picked one anyway.

Early conditioning succeeded in hiding this state as a reasonable state for me for many years. Yet like the worker bee finding the flower, or the baby sea turtle born in the sand and racing to the ocean waves, this instinct can not be repressed. Oppressed maybe, but not repressed. Suppression only inflames it.

The binary attributes have their purpose. Perpetuation of the species and the rites of social behavior validate the binary states. Does that make an in-between state a confused state, a defect, an anomaly? The contradiction of what feels so right on the inside causing so much grief on the outside is almost unbearable enough to restore ones faith in the practice of lobotomy.

In the big scheme of things there is far worse strife inflicted on some. But we are all little fish in a big pond, each dealing with our world as we see it. We can choose to express ourselves according to the binary rules, choose one or the other or both but not at the same time. It is easier to follow the binary rules. In this case at least we have a language to define what it is we are doing, and an abundance of models to leverage, from the binary sites of Mars or Venus. Or we can ignore the binary guidebooks. Challenge the binary rules, convince those that want to listen that it not all black and white, ignore those that don't want to hear. Eventually the wordsmiths will normalize a language I suppose. There is just that minor little issue of course, the risk of loosing everything.

But back to the bathroom doors. The building architects need to redesign and add another door labeled ME. Oh that there could be such door. Maybe we all could use it.

It has taken me many years to understand this much of who i am. Yet all can say is I am ME. Some mix, yes confused, of man, woman, male, female, masculine, feminine, from I don't know what planet. I can express myself better by appearance and presentation than with words. That appearance may look more feminine than masculine, yet it should not be judged as either. They say answers come from chaos so I suppose there is hope. There is much darkness along the path.

To those of you on the outside looking in and asking for answers, I hope I have conveyed in some small way that they are not easy to find from either side of the window. :confused:

i want to get to a stage where i really dont give a damn anymore and i am slowly gettin there but it isnt easy - for me i wasnt girly as a child i didnt start crossdressing until around 12 but but after being caught out young i have never lossed the feelings of guilt - i love dressing when i do and have never felt theres anything wrong in what i'm doing but i worry about what people would say who know me even now and i want to go out soon - i have the added problem that i lack confidence in myself as it is so going out would be doubly dificult for me - i also drink alchohol quite a bit which isnt helpful false confidence is no good at all - i am planning on going to a tg help meeting in the new year which i think and hope will help - it gets me when people who've been out regulary say "we build are own prisons" meaning anyone could go out at anytime dressed if they want its not that simple i worry sick about what peolple ie neighbours, friends family think i wish i didnt - binary sex if i understand it right is a load of crap ! we are all nurtured conditioned into our gender roles from an early age - its society thats wrong when bringing up kids these days men dont need masculinity anymore other than to attract women - we dont have to go and fight in the trenches anymore like my grandad did - life has moved on but some traditions havnt - 100 years from now - well none of us will be around then so maybe we're just born too soon to reap the rewards of what some of us want or are doing now

trannie T
12-23-2007, 09:08 PM
The world is not black and white. It is almost entirely in the grey area between the two. The most masculine has a bit of the feminine and the most feminine has a bit of the masculine. There are few absolutes.

As the great philosopher Y. Bera once said, "When you come to a fork in the road, take it."