PDA

View Full Version : Shaving tips for winter part-timers

Dolana
12-23-2007, 12:19 PM
Hey girls, Happy Holidays. I would really appreciate some advice on how to shave during the winter months without getting all those little pricklies and ingrown hairs. Having smooth legs and other parts is great for the first day or two, then I get a rash or numerous little ugly things. I know that repetition might cure that, but if I only shave every other week or so, I tend to run into problems. Should I soak longer? Use a better shaving cream? Any special razors out there that don't gnaw up the hairy legs so much? Any tips would be wonderful. Thanks!

Sedona
12-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Your shaving technique is probably good. I'd recommend regular use of a loofah sponge (or those exfoliating mitts), and be sure to moisturize well.

kay_jessica
12-23-2007, 12:36 PM
Your shaving technique is probably good. I'd recommend regular use of a loofah sponge (or those exfoliating mitts), and be sure to moisturize well.

Nothing else to add. Just exfoliate before and after shaving, then every time you shower. Also, if you have a slight growth of hair why not try a Silky Mit http://www.pointpharmacy.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=5569&cat=0&page=1

Remember to use a good moisturizer as well.

Hugs

Kay

windycissy
12-23-2007, 03:54 PM
Winter is the one season when I don't shave, I wear a lot of super silky opaque tights, they look so cute with calf length boots, and slacks most of the time in the winter...I wonder how many of the GG's out there also cheat on shaving their legs this time of year?

DaphneMiddleton
12-23-2007, 04:45 PM
There's a great razor made just for girls that I have used for years. The Intuition razor has a large handle which makes it easy to use in hard to reach areas. Also, it has an internal soap so that it lathers while you shave, no shaving cream needed! I shave twice a week and find that shaving regularly makes everything much smoother and it makes the shaving time a lot faster. It only takes about ten minutes to shave as long as I do it on schedule. I also use cocoa butter on my legs every night to keep them soft and femme.

kim85
12-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I wonder how many of the GG's out there also cheat on shaving their legs this time of year?

ill respond for you windycissy :devil: i normally dont shave as often during the winter months it makes my legs cold and when the hairs are short it hurts when they get too cold. TBH i dont have any tips i know that my SO has trouble with this due to the reason that male leg hairs are thicker than female and often goes through loads more blades than i do ..well did i now use veet bladeless

Kim
xxx

Angie G
12-23-2007, 08:32 PM
I have a track 4 razor i use on my legs And baby oil after shaving work for me hun :hugs:
Angie

jennifer41356
12-23-2007, 09:55 PM
I shave mine everyday, I have been using the quatro blades and find that i dont have nearly that problem, if I use the blade longer than 6 days , I can get the bumps and rash, so change the razor regularly:2c:

HalloweenDragon
12-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I also shave everyday, and I agree with changing the razor every week. I use this cocoa butter / lotion from Vaseline. It smells yummy, and it just coats my body the right way!
I do live in Phoenix (in the 18 years I've been here, it has snowed 3 times!) so maybe it is not as bad for me in the cold as it is for most... Trust me, I can not stand the cold BECAUSE of the chills. Nothing worse than getting out of the shower and a chill goes through you......there goes the smoothness!!!
I have found that shaving everyday helped my skin to "adjust" to having such coarse hair removal. I tried the razorless, and my skin is so VERY sensitive, it just did not work.
Good luck to anyone trying it for the first time! :happy:

Genifer Teal
12-23-2007, 11:30 PM
When I had more hair to shave, ingrowns were a big problem for me. The system that worked best was to moisurize EVERY day and not wait too long between shaves. I shaved at least once a week, maybe twice. Find your balance between shaving too frequently (which could irritate the skin more) and not shaving enough. I feel shaving helps exfoliate the skin.

The combination of shaving often and moiturizing all the time helped reduce my trouble with ingrowns - and I had many. After 4 laser sessions I still shave but it is a minor thing now.

BTW I love the Intuition Razor. It can be a bit clunky around the knee though. I am very boney there.

Gen

Dalece
12-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Jennifer has a good solution there the intuition is very good razor I use all over including the lower parts and chest well my whole body and only shave once to twice a week.

Scotty
12-24-2007, 01:14 AM
Don't forget if you get chilled and get goose bumps within a few hours, a day, of shaving - give it all up and wait a bit more - that seems to pull the hair out a bit.

I notice I can be smooth shaven, rub my legs together and it feels like silk but one shot of goose bumps and I feel the hairs, however slight..

Shelly67
12-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Talc - straight after shaving - works for me everytime.........cept when I epilate - OUCH !!:mad:

Mitch23
12-24-2007, 06:02 AM
I dont shave during the winter - just nice thick tights. Keeps my wife happy who doesn't like me shaving anyway

Mitch

Tonya_Crossdresser
12-25-2007, 06:26 AM
I shave each 5,6 days with foam of shave.

Andine
12-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Hi Girls!
Happy Christmas and have a great New Year!
I've been shaving my face for 50 years and it annoys me , and I wish I didn't have to anymore!
I decided to talk to the various clinics around my place in Canberra , and quickly formed the opinion that:
a) The technology mostly has problems, and probably won't work on any gray hairs anyway.
b) It is seriously expensive and sometimes painfull.
I tried depilatory cream on the face and it took a week to heal and was definitely not pleasant! I tried plucking some of the hairs out of my face and found that they grow about 1/8 " deep on my chin! Depilatory cream is OK for the armpits where its hard to reach, but the hair has to be 1/2" long first or it doesn't pull out. Pubic hair is the same, and again it has to be long if you want to use the cream.
Shaving sometimes causes ingrown hairs.
Shaving cream is expensive, and washes off all the time under the shower. ... I use "Baby oil " with a few drops of various essential oils like rosemary or lavender mixed in ... It lubricates the razor well, and leaves the skin nice and soft!
I went looking around the web and came up with this
http://www.shavenomore.com/?AID=1485042&PID=1659453
I've ordered a small bottle and will give it a carefull go ... Will report in a few weeks when I know wether it is showing any results.

In the meantime, I shave twice a day if I'm going out, and I shave my legs 3 times a week .. After all I'm a bike rider!

Regards

Kelli Taylor
12-26-2007, 05:11 PM
Obviously using very warm or hot water, soak for about ten minutes or longer if the water feels good. Next I use an exfoliating glove (sold at wal-mart or any beauty supply store) along with a body wash such as dove or caress and give my legs a pretty good scrubbing to remove any dead skin along with the skin that grows over the hair follicle. I also shave in both directions (with & against the hair growth). If you don't remove that skin that DOES grow over the follicle by scrubbing instead of just shaving, that's where the RED BUMPS that we've all come to detest is known as IRRITATION comes from. It has worked for me for about two years now. It took about a month to finally get to where I am today. Still have flare-ups now and then as our hair is more coarse the a gg's hair, but I've had women ask me how I do it because they can't even get their legs to look like that, is their exact words... Hope everyone had a wonderful CHRISTMAS.

KELLI

Eugenie
12-26-2007, 05:41 PM
I went looking around the web and came up with this
http://www.shavenomore.com/?AID=1485042&PID=1659453
I've ordered a small bottle and will give it a carefull go ... Will report in a few weeks when I know wether it is showing any results.
Can't wait to have your feedback on this one... Looks too good to be true... Well, let us know how it goes...

In the meantime, I shave twice a day if I'm going out, and I shave my legs 3 times a week

I do the same... I shave the hair on my body almost every day, legs, arm and chest. If I have to go out "en femme" on evenings, I have to shave again, at least on my chest. I alternate shaving and using a depilatory cream, but for that last way of getting read og hair, I have to let my hair grow somewhat. I do that from time to time...

It is quite annoying to have to go through all that to have a smooth skin...

I've not come around to go for a laser hair removal for two reasons; one is the cost the second reason is that I've been told it is rather painful...

That's why I hope that you will tell us that the solution you are testing works...

:hugs:
Eugenie

JRenee
12-28-2007, 05:39 PM
Can't wait to have your feedback on this one... Looks too good to be true... Well, let us know how it goes...

I do the same... I shave the hair on my body almost every day, legs, arm and chest. If I have to go out "en femme" on evenings, I have to shave again, at least on my chest. I alternate shaving and using a depilatory cream, but for that last way of getting read og hair, I have to let my hair grow somewhat. I do that from time to time...

It is quite annoying to have to go through all that to have a smooth skin...

I've not come around to go for a laser hair removal for two reasons; one is the cost the second reason is that I've been told it is rather painful...

That's why I hope that you will tell us that the solution you are testing works...

:hugs:
Eugenie

First, regarding the ShaveNoMore, there may be some "over-zealous marketing" involved with that product. See this link (it's also a very good website for evaluating hair removal stuff) http://www.hairfacts.com/makers/topical/ultrahairaway.html
With that said, please let us know how it works!
I too hate hate hate the little red bumpies and the itchiness.

Now for something constructive - my Panasonic Wet/Dry mens shaver, micro-screen style (about 90 bucks on Amazon) is very good at removing the stubble on my legs and chest. It's not irritating at all, and seems to leave a smoother "finish" on my skin. And, the stubble stays away longer than using the blades.
lordie! what us ladies go through to look good!

Andine
12-29-2007, 01:17 AM
Damn!!
Oh well the goop arrived yesterday .... I'll give it a go for a week and see what happens. I got one bottle to try it, nothing ventured nothing gained, I guess. Smells like water with someting in it, but at least its not perfumed.

I'll let you know what happens.

Regards

SandyR
12-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Shave, and shave often. works.......really it does, and its fun!

SandyR