PDA

View Full Version : Wow Name Stuff...

Syr_SwitchyGQ
12-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Okay..... this is fabulous...... :rolleyes: I finally got brave and brought up the topic of names to my parents. My mother systematically vetoed and shot down all of the names I personally liked, except for Guthrie, which I dropped awhile ago because I thought she'd hate it. (My father can't take this seriously and so he's laughed at all of my name ideas... that's a totally different issue altogether.)

But OMG...... my mother actually really likes Guthrie, but hates Tobias. I picked Tobias because I wanted a "normal" name that she'd like better, but no, she likes the odd sounding name. :doh: I was so afraid of telling her about Tobias because I've been using it for awhile now (without her knowledge) so I didn't want her to shoot it down. Well, she shot it down, but I'm not anywhere close to as upset about it as I thought I would be. Probably because she liked my original name. :blink: I'll never understand parents.

Oh, and she would actually really prefer me to keep my initials R. E. J_____, but we can't find an R guy name that any of us like. Any suggestions? (So far we've vetoed Randall, Robert, Rodger, Ralph, Rory, Ryder, Russell, Reuben and Raymond.)

ZenFrost
12-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Rupert? I had the same name talk with my mother and she vetoed everything, but came up with things like Rupert and Eugene...

How about Reno, Reeve, Rude, Rufus... okay okay, I'll stop naming characters from Final Fantasy VII. Um, Roric? Renji? Rock? Remy? Rex? Rudy? Rover? Ronon? Rodney? Richard? Ron? Robin?

Mariah
12-23-2007, 09:59 PM
Richard is a nice name that starts with R *^_^*.

keris

Syr_SwitchyGQ
12-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Richard is a nice name that starts with R *^_^*.

keris

:sad: Sorry.... another one that has been vetoed... only because that's my uncle's name.

christina marie
12-24-2007, 12:09 AM
Robin is my given middle name, and is rather androgynous, might keep Mom happy...:happy:

caderemington
12-25-2007, 12:19 AM
I like Remy :happy:

Syr_SwitchyGQ
12-28-2007, 03:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I appreciate it. :happy: However, since all the important people in my life can't agree on what names "fit" me and which they like and which they hate, I think I'm just sticking with Tobias. My mother and father will hate it for awhile for sure, but I'm the one who has to live with it, not them. (I suppose one could argue that they have to use it, but since they call me by my girl name 90% of the time now anyway I'm not sure it matters.) I was hoping allowing them in on the process would encourage them to use my chosen name, but I'm not getting anywhere with it, so I'm gonna keep the name that speaks to me, and that's Tobias.

CaptLex
12-28-2007, 10:00 AM
I was hoping allowing them in on the process would encourage them to use my chosen name, but I'm not getting anywhere with it, so I'm gonna keep the name that speaks to me, and that's Tobias.
Good for you, hun. :thumbsup:

Emily Ann Brown
12-28-2007, 10:02 AM
I think you look like a Tobias !

And if it makes you feel any better, I'm 57 and I don't understand my parents either.

Emily Ann

ZenFrost
12-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone... I appreciate it. :happy: However, since all the important people in my life can't agree on what names "fit" me and which they like and which they hate, I think I'm just sticking with Tobias. My mother and father will hate it for awhile for sure, but I'm the one who has to live with it, not them. (I suppose one could argue that they have to use it, but since they call me by my girl name 90% of the time now anyway I'm not sure it matters.) I was hoping allowing them in on the process would encourage them to use my chosen name, but I'm not getting anywhere with it, so I'm gonna keep the name that speaks to me, and that's Tobias.

You can always change your name to one thing but have a nickname or two that people call you by. That way, you don't have to pick just one name. :winkp:

TeaPirateFox
01-20-2008, 04:37 AM
Congrats on the definate name decision. Its always good to have the one that speaks to you no

I've been told I should have picked Loki or Dezu. But...Maxik will always be mine.

And the nickname things true. My friends who are having a hard time understanding the change when they met me in my brief brief girly stage (its a long story) have settled on calling me by my middle name. Blue.

But you know your path, so the best to you my friend.