PDA

View Full Version : Shaving hell - please help!

Kimberly
04-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey!! This isn't anything major, it'll just make my legs look nicer, but:

Since going back to shaving, I can't shake this red "rash" that appears on the bottom half of my legs. It's not everywhere, and I can't really call it a rash. It's like, an irritation with the hair follicals, and is causing patches of red spots to come up.

It's not that painful, but not that attractive :p And was wondering if anyone had any advice for it? Lotions to put on, etc?

Thank yooo!

Like2BAspen
04-13-2005, 02:44 PM
do you use lotion after shaving and use short strokes and a good quality razor

Kimberly
04-13-2005, 02:49 PM
I use the second two, but not the lotion...

It's exactly how my girlfriend shaves - in the shower, so the water can wash off the shaven hairs.

Priscilla1018
04-13-2005, 03:49 PM
I have had good sucess with St.Ives moisturiser with aloe,it really helps.

Love and Hugs,
Priscilla

Sigrid
04-13-2005, 04:12 PM
I've just been doing a little research and have found these two promising tips;

From Tora Roberts Makeovers http://www.draag.com/tips/prep/shaving.html

"After shaving, splash your face for a minute with ice cold water. This closes the pores, and stops any bleeding. It should also reduce ingrown hairs and pimples."

She's really refering to shaving the face, but it may help.

The second tip, is to use hair conditioner, the same stuff you'd use after shampooing, instead of shave cream or gel. I don't recall the source off hand, I'll post it when (and if) I remember it.

I just returned from running errands and wouldn't you know it - bought a bottle of conditioner. I'll post and let you know the results.

~Sigrid

DonnaT
04-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Exfoliate, after shaving, also.

Julie York
04-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Good luck with your quest. I shaved my legs about 2 months back for a month or so and never did find out why some days they were fine and others they were very sensitive and not nice at all (red spots etc).

I have now left them alone and am in the middle of "stubble hell".

Seems there is a middle ground after they get over the shock of being shaved but aren't yet prickly but how that works is a mystery to me.

Aloe moistoriser does seem to work a little.

Halo
04-13-2005, 04:35 PM
I get the opposite to Kimberly - it's the tops of my legs that go all pimply.
I tried using Veet, but that makes it even worse on my thighs, and doesn't get all the hairs either.

I'm persevering, though. I presume the skin will toughen up slightly with being regularly hairless.
The exfoliating and moisturising sounds like a good plan, too.

DonnaT
04-13-2005, 05:02 PM
Waxing is best, but if you must shave then there are several things you can do to ease the razor burn/bumps.

Use a one or two bladed razor (preferrably one), not three nor four. You've probably seen the commercials that show how one blade bends the hair and cuts, while the next slices the bent hair closer to the skin. Well, each blade will do what the first did only they will slice the hair at a greater angle.

This leaves a sharp and weak hair tip that has a hard time pushing through the skin during regrowth, thus the hair curles under raising a bump. So the flatter the top of the hair tip, the easier it has emerging through the skin.

To help the hair emerge, exfoliate. This will remove the top layer of dead skin cells, making it easier for the hair to emerge.

Buy an Aloe Vera plant. Use the milky fluid from it on any razor burns, rashes or bumps. Just cut off a leaf and squeeze the fluid out. Save the leaf in a plastic zip-lock bag in the refrigerator until all the fluid is used up.

I use Aveeno Positively Smooth Shaving Gel and the Positively Smooth Moisturizer (both have soy extracts), which definitely retards hair growth.

Cissy Suzie
04-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Waxing is best, but if you must shave then there are several things you can do to ease the razor burn/bumps.

Use a one or two bladed razor (preferrably one), not three nor four. You've probably seen the commercials that show how one blade bends the hair and cuts, while the next slices the bent hair closer to the skin. Well, each blade will do what the first did only they will slice the hair at a greater angle.

This leaves a sharp and weak hair tip that has a hard time pushing through the skin during regrowth, thus the hair curles under raising a bump. So the flatter the top of the hair tip, the easier it has emerging through the skin.

To help the hair emerge, exfoliate. This will remove the top layer of dead skin cells, making it easier for the hair to emerge.

Buy an Aloe Vera plant. Use the milky fluid from it on any razor burns, rashes or bumps. Just cut off a leaf and squeeze the fluid out. Save the leaf in a plastic zip-lock bag in the refrigerator until all the fluid is used up.

I use Aveeno Positively Smooth Shaving Gel and the Positively Smooth Moisturizer (both have soy extracts), which definitely retards hair growth.

As a addition to the above NEVER EVER shave against the direction the hair grows ... that is just begging for ingrown hair. :eek:

Just a suggestion from your freindly neighborhood Cissy ;)

Sarah Ellis
04-13-2005, 05:37 PM
for years.... and a lot of them, lol, i am lucky in one way not to have too much hair but i have these horrible 'goose pimples' yep its like a freshly plucked turkey sometimes.. aaaarrggghh.. always moisturise when possible especially after shaving. waxing may be better but i have no experience of this yet cos it BLOODY HURTS lol.. may help, maybe not, love Satin xx

Shy Charlotte
04-14-2005, 01:30 AM
I was having major problems with ingrown hairs for a while when is shaved. I noticed better results when I shaved against the grain, but like Satin said, I'd get major ingrowth right afterwards. So I think start training your hair by going with the grain. I always go against the grain now, and after about 10 shavings or so I get nary an ingrown hair. Maybe my switch of shaving techniques helped too: Changed from a Satin Effects razor to a Venus (it actually has 4 razors instead of 1 or 2; stopped using that specialized women's shaving gel and now use a thick conditioner for lather (that horse shampoo brand); and when I shave against the grain, I apply just enough pressure so that the razor is barely touching the skin. I also go with long strokes, but that's just me.

Danielle1960
04-14-2005, 06:40 AM
I find thatwitch hazel works on the red rashes and only cost about 79cents a bottle. Another thing I hav'et ried yet is mixing a couple of asprin into a cup of water and applying with a cotton ball.
Good luck

MsMichelle
04-14-2005, 06:44 AM
Ladies one of the best ways to eliminate the red dots and the ingrown hairs is to invest in a good quality loofah and a real good quality moisterizer.
Give your shaved area's a good scrub on a regular basis while having a sudsy bubble bath after you have soaked for at least 5 minutes. Your skin will get a rather pink glow but in time the red dots and the in-grown hairs will disappear. After you pat dry, apply the moisterizer. I have been bare from nose to toes for 10 years and just don't get those dot or the ingrowns anymore.
One of the all round best moisterizers is a product by Curel called Extreme Care. They also make another just for legs which actually slows hair growth. The product is worth around $12.00 in Canada but works like a charm.

Michelle Renee

Kimberly
04-14-2005, 11:19 AM
Thanks for all the helpful advice!

I knew I could count on the girls on here... :)

Melissa A.
04-14-2005, 08:48 PM
I have not had any problems with my legs. I don't say this to brag, but to point out that skin sensitivities vary greatly from person to person. I have tried cream and spray hair removers, and have found that they burn my skin. Shaving seems to work best for me. I use lotion, and moisturize often. Also, to Donna: I have started using the Aveeno gel and so far like the results. Time will tell if it retards hair growth for me. Thank you. I think shaving is alot like make up. We need to experiment, try different stuff, and eventually settle on what works.

Good luck to all.

Hugs,

Melissa :)

Rachel_740
04-15-2005, 03:28 PM
Hey!! This isn't anything major, it'll just make my legs look nicer, but:

Since going back to shaving, I can't shake this red "rash" that appears on the bottom half of my legs. It's not everywhere, and I can't really call it a rash. It's like, an irritation with the hair follicals, and is causing patches of red spots to come up.

It's not that painful, but not that attractive :p And was wondering if anyone had any advice for it? Lotions to put on, etc?

Thank yooo!

Hi Kimberley,

My advice (and it might not be practical for you) is forget shaving and get your legs waxed girl. I've been having mine done for about six months now ( every 5 weeks) and the hairs are finer, weaker and not so many of them. A word of advice though, if you do decide to wax. My beautician did tell me this afternoon (while I was having them done) that a lot of people will shave between waxings (I don't) and that puts the hair growth back to where you were before you waxed.

Anne