PDA

View Full Version : does anyone ever...

eden_medea
12-24-2007, 11:41 PM
... feel akward talking about things like history, politics, world events and traditionally male intellectual pursuits? these topics have always been a big part of my life but since i've come out and been dressing practically full time i am starting to feel like they are compromising my outward expression of femininity... women have come a long way though, I guess I should realize that these interests really shouldn't compromise feminine allure... but i guess it is the old cliche that girls should be beautiful but not too bright to be attractive (not that i believe this, but I feel a lot of men might) playing on my subconscious...

Stephenie S
12-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Come on sweety, enter the 21st century where the rest of us live.

Those stereotypes belong back in the 1950s.

Lovies,
Stephenie

jaina
12-25-2007, 01:03 AM
I don't play dumb for anyone. I don't even dumb it down when someone in the room can't keep up. Someone there will explain it to them.

sandra-leigh
12-25-2007, 01:35 AM
I don't play dumb for anyone. I don't even dumb it down when someone in the room can't keep up. Someone there will explain it to them.

I've spent a couple of decades answering technical questions from people at all different levels; figuring out what skill level they are at and answering in terms they will understand becomes completely automatic after awhile. It isn't "dumbing it down", it is finding effective ways to communicate. Different people have different ways of learning.

Kate Simmons
12-25-2007, 01:45 AM
Nah, when my CD friends and I get together, we talk about everything and anything. It's not uncommon to be talking about the world situation in one breath and cute hairstyles the next.:happy:

1950sclothes
12-25-2007, 02:27 AM
Women talk politics, too. Look at all the female political commentators and MPs.

Dalece
12-25-2007, 03:20 AM
no talk to ggs males other cd about anything and everything. what ever comes up

Bethany_Anne_Fae
12-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Male or female... there shouldnt be any subjects that are relegated to ONE gender ;)
*hugs*
Zara

Angie G
12-25-2007, 10:18 AM
Woman are bright and that a good thing and I'm proud to be a part time woman :hugs:
Angie

Eugenie
12-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Women speak about all subjects nowadays, well almost, they avoid boaring stuff on ball games and car engines, which don't interest me either...

We have long discussions on political subjects with my best friend, a GG whom I have often at home while "en femme".

:hugs:
Eugenie

Ashley Williams
12-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I didn't realise that in the 21st Century there was seen to be any great divide any longer about what people talk about.

Small talk can be about anything in mixed company - and there is perhaps a split where men are more likely to talk about sport and women about fashion and celebrities, but on important subjects I wouldn't worry.

Surely being more feminine is more about your attitudes to things, rather than the subjects you talk about.

Anyway - hope that you all have some wonderful conversations on a variety of subjects this holiday season.

All the Best

Lesley

eden_medea
12-25-2007, 11:54 AM
i guess i shouldn't be ashamed of being angry towards the establishment just because i'm a woman now - expropriate the spiritual and economic expropriators! drain their blood n drink it!

bridget thronton
12-26-2007, 01:34 PM
I teach college age students (and I have a college age daughter) there is no intellectual topic that young women avoid discussing today.

Nicole Erin
12-26-2007, 03:16 PM
... feel akward talking about things like history, politics, world events and traditionally male intellectual pursuits? ...

I feel uncomfy with them regardless of my "mode" cause those things don't interest me period. I don't keep up enough to really know about them anyways.

But as far as talking about things that are "manly" I avoid them en femme.
It just sounds ridiculous to be in a room full of CD's and they are talking about their cars or how powerful their computer is.

Nikki A.
12-26-2007, 08:06 PM
How you're dressed does not reflect on your intellect. If you're interested in the subject and have something to say then what is the difference.

jennifer41356
12-26-2007, 09:29 PM
to me that is a stereotype and I would hope we would be past stereotyping people:straightface: