PDA

View Full Version : getting clothes to fit better ?

shirley1
12-26-2007, 10:12 PM
was just wondering i am currently about 155 pounds and 5ft 10 i used to be a lot slimmer around the waist when i was younger and would probably have comfortably fitted into a dress size 1 or 2 sizes smaller - but all or most of my weight is on my stomach so unlike ggs who put weight on around their hips skirts if they dont fot right ie are slightly spacious around the waist seem to drop down and i have to keep pullin them up - presumably then i need to loose the weight around my waist then i can drop down a dress size and my hips will be wider compared to my waist - the only trouble is i will then be underwieght again for my height - used to be about 134 pounds but was too thin for a guy then - is it just a case that you just have to get used of wearing tight clothes - of course i guess it doesnt matter if your stoppin in your own pad but if you want to go out dressed the need for comfort and fit usually must become more important

KateSpade83
12-26-2007, 10:17 PM
You're still skinny for your height and weight. I'm 5'4" 149lbs today and a size 4 to 6. No use going below size 4 because clothes are harder to find!

Post a pic of your body in the Pic Section so we can see how slim you are!

shirley1
12-26-2007, 10:36 PM
as soon as i sort my camera out i will do no probs - i live in england so are sizes differ slightly i dont think i am size 4 or 6 - i wear british sizes 12 and 14 which i think is about 8 to 10 in other places - believe it or not i am an average size in womens clothing in this country a lot of women aspire to be what we call a perfect 10 - but i certainly dont want to put weight on anywhere as womens clothes look good on me because i'm slim !

KateSpade83
12-26-2007, 11:34 PM
I like staying skinny too, as my male and female appearance greatly improved when I lost weight. Now sometimes Lotto clerks ask for my ID because they think I'm a teenager when I'm 38! This only happened after I lost all my weight! I also stay skinny to be fast on a bike!

Marvina Martian
12-27-2007, 12:19 AM
Having a consistant workout program is very important to fitting the clothes you want! I'm 5'6" and am currently at 140lbs. My racing weight was 125lbs so I have a little triming to do still as well ;)

Keep working on it!

veronicagirl
12-27-2007, 04:24 PM
As a guy, it's great being 6'4",,,,,but.... I guess I should say I'm at least lucky to be able to wear a gal's 12 shoe.

sissystephanie
12-27-2007, 05:21 PM
I am 5' 10" and weigh 170 Lbs. Size 16 usually fits me pretty well, but I take a lot of my things to an Alteration Lady who fits them to me to look feminine. I asked her first if she would alter female clothes to fit a man, and she said as long as I paid for it, she would do whatever was needed. It really doesn't cost that much to have your clothes fit properly!

Sissy/Stephanie

Sometimes I look like a girl, but I'm always a man underneath.

Sarah89
12-27-2007, 05:51 PM
Right now im about 5'8 and weigh 105 pounds approx, so I dont have a problem in that area, yet,...probably got a few years before my metabolism slows down and im going to have to make effort to be thin :p
I dont actually know how I look in a real decent feminine outfit yet, but i would presume my figure would look alright because of my weight.

Sally24
12-27-2007, 06:45 PM
If you're a taller girl than skinny is better! I'm 6' and weigh between 150-160 (depending on how close to the holidays it is! LOL). Things fit alot better on me when my waist is as skinny as possible. You also have to factor in the weight that real breasts, hips, and butt would be if they weren't just padding. If you can't lose the weight, at least try to tighten up the muscles to make it as trim as possible.

shirley1
12-27-2007, 07:31 PM
yeh what i've learned is something my sisters told me about womens clothes they vary a lot in size from one make to another thats where i guess women have the advantage over most of us caus they can try things on i order most of my femme clothes off the net so its very hit or miss as to whether an item will fit right - at 5 10 i am fairly tall for a girl so the arms can be a problem sometimes too short - but i still think i look better in femme clothing because i am still fairly slim i would imagine its harder to get clothes to fit if you are on the larger size and less choice - women say that dont they

docrobbysherry
12-27-2007, 09:22 PM
I'm about 5'10" and 155 lbs. now. Up from 150 because of the holidays and the cold. Yeah, even in SoCal it's cold. 37 degrees this AM.
Anyway, I quit working out because my arms and legs looked too muscley.
(Is that a word?) But, I do a lot of crunches, because of my bad back, every morning. Keeps my waist tite! I wear size 8 to 12. Almost never have a problem with too tite waists, usually the opposite! However, my chest is too wide for most unstretchy tops. I use a corset, which helps me fit into some things I normally couldn't. It takes 5" off my waist also. Do u have one?
RS

shirley1
12-27-2007, 09:44 PM
I'm about 5'10" and 155 lbs. now. Up from 150 because of the holidays and the cold. Yeah, even in SoCal it's cold. 37 degrees this AM.
Anyway, I quit working out because my arms and legs looked too muscley.
(Is that a word?) But, I do a lot of crunches, because of my bad back, every morning. Keeps my waist tite! I wear size 8 to 12. Almost never have a problem with too tite waists, usually the opposite! However, my chest is too wide for most unstretchy tops. I use a corset, which helps me fit into some things I normally couldn't. It takes 5" off my waist also. Do u have one?
RS

no but maybe thats what i need to get or a waist clincher then i could fit into slimmer skirts but my hips would still be the same ie wider compared to my waist thats the problem i think as i said in my original tread when women do put weight on they put in on around their hips and thighs men tend to put it on around stomachs so if your like me and have a big tummy but your hips are still small the skirts will just fall off you if theyre in any way to big - womens clothes are designed for women after all not men so i guess we have to make the more feminine shape ouselvses

sterling12
12-27-2007, 10:53 PM
A few things for you to try. 1.) Buy a sewing machine, learn how to sew and start modifying your clothes. I think this is one of the main reasons that teen Girl's learn how to sew.

2.) When and if you buy things on Ebay, at least in The States, people who sell clothing to CD's always give us the measurements. There is so much variance in clothing sizes, a particular size means just about nothing. Learn your measurements and buy by that criteria.

3.) To get an "hour-glass shape," which looks great with a lot of things that CD's favor, you will have to make "modifications." Ideally you want the Bust and the hips to be about the same measurement and the waist to be 6-12" smaller. With a true corset and hip and butt pads, I measure out at 40-30-40. If your smaller or bigger in the chest, you would just adjust your figures from the bust size.

Your tallish and slim, that makes it easier for you. It's a lot easier to build out the hips, rather than to reduce the waist. I think if you try the Mods, you'll be very pleased with your results.

Peace and Love, Joanie

bEEb
12-28-2007, 08:01 AM
at 6ft. 200 some ... + the added winter poundage... It's always a struggle to appear girly. Corsets are nice. But not very useful without a "corset tightener".

Violet
12-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Great suggestions above!

And, I'll tell you, Shirley, getting women's clothes to fit can be a nightmare for us GGs, too! A lot of the women in my family tend to put weight on in the tummy area; my mom, aunt and grandmother all have no bum or hips to speak of, and all their weight is carried in the stomach. It drives them just as mental as I am sure it drives you!

Body shapers can be a god-send. Tons of places have them and they are like a modern, spandex corset that will suck in and shape the area you'd like to de-emphasize. I happen to prefer the ones that look almost like a strapless swim suit, because then you don't really have to worry about anything bulging out of the bottom.

Also, like some of the ladies have said, tailoring is KEY. If you ever watch any sort of make-over show (I'm thinking of "What Not To Wear" specifically) they will always tell you that tailoring is one of the best ways to get clothing to fit properly.

AmandaM
12-28-2007, 01:29 PM
I wear a 16 only because of too much muscle mass. I also have a small gut. My lower half is a size 14. I am dieting and want some of the muscle to come off with the fat. My goal is to become at minimum, 14 on top. Misses clothes are most abundant from 14 and down, so the choices are limitless at that size. I do a lot of endurance exercise and no weights.