PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a place to get my ears pierced

KrissyTN
12-27-2007, 06:47 AM
After an incredible enfemme weekend away with my wife....she and I discussed me getting my ears pierced. As some of you know I have asked advice as to how long it takes for them to recover and from what I understand it's anywhere from 3 days to 6 weeks.

Anyway, our daughter is wanting to get hers pierced too and last night at Claire's at the mall my wife and I discussed it briefly. I didn't go through with it but it did raise the question....Is there any place that's better than others to have the piercing done? Would a mall store a la Claire's do just as good a job as any other place?

We are planning a trip to San Francisco in March and I may wait until I'm out there to do it as I will have about 10 days off from work. I work in a pretty conservative office and still not sure if I want to attract that kind of attention.

Krissy

Trish
12-27-2007, 08:13 AM
My wife did mine.

morgan51
12-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Just be sure they are sterile and the shop is clean also the equipment is sterile. Bad things can be caught from dirty equipment. M.

Toni Shelton
12-27-2007, 08:24 AM
I went to Wal-mart, at Walker Springs. The lady there was very gentle, and it didn't hurt. It took me 6 weeks to change mine. Now I wear hoops 24/7, in both ears. I change to bigger hoops, diamond studs, or dangle earrings. Good Luck

Amanduhrob
12-27-2007, 08:35 AM
Claire's did mine, and they turned out fine.

But if you're worried about doing it out in public, or the reputation of some kiosk type shops in the mall, go to a tattooist/piercing parlor. They're more heavily regulated.

CharleneCD
12-27-2007, 11:41 AM
Clairs did mine also and I am happy with how they did.

veronicagirl
12-27-2007, 03:58 PM
You can buy a cheap kit off ebay. The kits are wrapped, sterile and come with the cleaning solution. It does take 5-6 weeks to ensure the holes stay fully open. For work hours, get some 30 test monofilament fishing line and run a strand though the holes. Tie a knot in 1 end and pull that through from the outer part of your ear. Cut that off next to the knot. Cut the back piece off short. Replace with your metal ones when you get home. The metal ones should stay in totally for the first 3-4 days. Make sure you twist them and clean with the solution several times a day. ....and they will hurt the first couple of nights.

kim85
12-27-2007, 04:17 PM
TBH i dont think many people at work would take much notice there are pently of guys that i know who have both ears pireced ........ and i know 100% that not all of them are CDers just so long as its done correctly i have mine done at a tattooist/piercing parlor.

Scotty
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
I had my left done in a shop in a mall, did my second left myself.
Did my right ear myself, and I did both cartlidges myself.

Sterile needle, ice, hydrogen peroxide...easy as pie.

In fact my right carlidge had closed up so I re-pierced the skin night before last...home on vacation may as well.

Lilith Moon
12-27-2007, 04:34 PM
Had both mine done at a ladies hairdressers at a local town six months ago. She used sterile disposable equipment. Very professional job, less pain than a flu jab. The worst pain during healing was occasional slight soreness..healing took several weeks. During healing I twirled them several times/day and gently dabbed them with surgical spirits. No problems.

Lisa Golightly
12-27-2007, 04:43 PM
A piercing centre that uses hollow needles... less tissue damage, the needles are one use only, and the H&S is usually more stringent.

Sharon
12-27-2007, 04:54 PM
I went to a tattoo/piercing shop because I wanted somebody who knew what they were doing poking holes in me, as opposed to some sixteen-year old working part-time after school. Besides, I felt safer about sterization since they are so well regulated.

susanmichelle
12-27-2007, 05:44 PM
You can also go to somewhere like Claires, Piercing Pagoda, or if you want to do it yourself you can go to Sallys beauty supply they sell single guns loaded with pierced earings. you just mark the spot on your ear, position the gun in the proper location and press it together, it is fast like the pros and puts the back on as it goes thru. Just my :2c:

KrissyTN
12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Thanks Everyone....I like the idea of using fishing line to help keep the holes open during the day....I work in a pretty small conservative office...I'm the boss so I don't think that much would be said. Just got to work up the courage to do it though.

I appreciate everyone's input! Sounds like Claire's might be an ok choice if I decide to go when my daughter does.

Hugs,
Krissy

Lindahexi
12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Had mine done at Claires and I was the only guy in the place at the time, but I enjoyed the experience and lots of people were looking in the window at me; would definitely recommend them.

angelfire
12-27-2007, 06:26 PM
I'd suggest a piercing/tattoo place. A beauty parlor pierced my mom's ears crooked, and did the same to another one of my friends. I'd suggest the piercing place though, they are better trained.

hjt101
12-27-2007, 06:35 PM
I'm surprised, no smart alec remarks. So I'll add one. You should get them done in the middle of your lobes. :-)

But truely, go to a piercing/tattoo place to get them done. It will cost more, but they are regulated alot tighter than the mall places, so sterilization and cleanliness is alot higher. Most places do guarantee their work and will re-do it if you are not happy.

Sally24
12-27-2007, 06:39 PM
I had mine done at a well known body piercing place. She took her time explaining how to care for the new piercings and was very careful to try to get them balanced. I would also reccomend to keep something in the ears at all times for at least 6 months.

Good luck and enjoy your earings, I sure do!!

quiet_time
12-28-2007, 04:33 AM
As an avid fan of piercings, I am going to drop my 2 cents in here. Please get them done at a reputable piercing studio. While doing them yourself or having them done at Claire's may not result in any problems, do you want to take the risk?

A quick review and I will cover in detail if anyone wants to know more. The "gun" at Claire's/etc. can not be properly sterilized which means the germs/bacteria from the last person are coming in contact with your jewelry. Also the "gun" jams a dull stud through your ear while a piercer usues a razor sharp surgical one-time use needle. Also a piercer will have years of experience while a Claire's/etc. employee will have at most a few days of "training" and then whatever she learns as she does ears.

Just my advice and take it for what its worth, but I strongly advise everyone to see a professional piercer since its their career not their summer vacation job.

Joann0830
12-28-2007, 05:43 AM
Claires did both my daughters and Mine and yes they do it but you pick out your earings, most men that I know get the very small gold ball type or the very small black type pins which is masculine as they say. Good lock and it really is fast and simple Joann0830:heehee::love:

KrissyTN
12-28-2007, 06:39 AM
As an avid fan of piercings, I am going to drop my 2 cents in here. Please get them done at a reputable piercing studio. While doing them yourself or having them done at Claire's may not result in any problems, do you want to take the risk?

Just my advice and take it for what its worth, but I strongly advise everyone to see a professional piercer since its their career not their summer vacation job.

I don't want to sound dumb here....but how do I find a professional piercer? The phone book? Do I assume that all tattoo parlors have folks that know how to pierce as well?

Thanks for all your advice everyone!!

Krissy

Vicky_Scot
12-28-2007, 08:23 AM
Advice on a place to get my ears pierced?

On your ears.......:heehee:

Could not resist.

Ally K
12-28-2007, 08:27 AM
most tattoo parlors have piercers in them as well. Its pretty much standard. I've yet to get my ears pierced, I want to... maybe I'll do it next month.

Good luck!
xoxo
Ally

Paulacder
12-28-2007, 11:10 AM
Had mine done at Claire's also. The girl that pierced my ears said she done 15 to 20 ear pierceings a day. I thought to myself that she should know what she is doing, and she did, they turned out great. The downside to all of this is the six week wait before you can take the original studs out. Someone said something about fishing line, I would rather explain the studs in my ears if asked rather than, " What the f##k is that fishing line doing in your ears".??

KandisTX
12-28-2007, 11:17 AM
I had one done at the PX and the otherwas done at Claire's. As long as the person who is doing the piercing is knowledgable then you shouldn't have any problem.

Kandis:love:

quiet_time
12-28-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't want to sound dumb here....but how do I find a professional piercer? The phone book? Do I assume that all tattoo parlors have folks that know how to pierce as well?

Thanks for all your advice everyone!!

Krissy

Yes, 99% of tattoo studios will also have a piercer. You can start with the phone book, and here is the site to the Association of Professional Piercers. You can see if there is a studio near you on that list and you can guarantee they are going to be top notch.

Had mine done at Claire's also. The girl that pierced my ears said she done 15 to 20 ear pierceings a day. I thought to myself that she should know what she is doing, and she did, they turned out great.

I am sorry, but trusting someone who had a few days to train and then is turned loose on the public to pierce is just a scary thought. I am glad yours turned out fine, but if you decide to get any other piercings I strongly suggest you see a professional piercer.

Laura B.
12-28-2007, 02:27 PM
First set of holes at Claire's and then last week I got my second set done again at Claire's. I think they did an excellent job. If you are shy, a possible downside is you have to sit in the front window to get them done. Good Luck.

Darla in Pa.
12-28-2007, 02:57 PM
In the middle of the mall at piercing Pagoda, I had fun watching the peoples looks. I think there are more guys out there that would like to but are afraid. Since i had it done everyone seems to comment once and thats it. Really no big deal Darla

Rene
12-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Claire's is just fine, if you can not find a pro body piercing place. But you have to be prepared for lots of questions at work and with your friends. They will ask. But as long as you are confident with your decision they will be OK. The questions will only last a short time, but being able to wear beautiful earrings will last a life time. Also note that it takes six weeks till you change them, but over a year till you can take them out and the holes don't close up.