PDA

View Full Version : can buying clothes become an obsession ?

shirley1
12-30-2007, 06:19 PM
i am just interested to know if anyone else identifies with me on this - i have always found it difficult to clothes shop in womens stores so since i have been on the net which has only been for te last 4 months - it has made it a lot easier the only thing is i have spent a small fortune particulary on ebay - just today i put in abid for an item (ive got most items i bid on) it wasnt even a particulary feminine garment (a long black cardigan) but i was outbid at the last minute - at first i just thought oh well at least i've saved myself some money but soon after started feeling annoyed when i thought about the outfits it would go well with - so i am wrestling with my concience thinking look it was only an item of clothing you can get it some other time if your that bothered but also thinking get a grip this is becoming an obsession now - it just seems like every now and then i see a gg wearing something and its like i've got to have it - i know some people particulary women do suffer from shopaholic sydrome - anyone identify ? its just scaring me a bit caus its too easy to buy stuff now and you need money for other things as well !

joann07
12-30-2007, 06:26 PM
Oh yeah! It happens to me all the time.
Whenever I'm out and about, and something catches my eye, especially an attractive girl wearing a nice outfit or dress, I have to find it and get it.

Also, while I was out holiday shopping, I ended up buying more clothes (i.e. dresses, tops, shoes) for myself, but they were all sale. :)
Its so addicting.

Hugs!

charlie-50
12-30-2007, 06:27 PM
i am just interested to know if anyone else identifies with me on this - i have always found it difficult to clothes shop in womens stores so since i have been on the net which has only been for te last 4 months - it has made it a lot easier the only thing is i have spent a small fortune particulary on ebay - just today i put in abid for an item (ive got most items i bid on) it wasnt even a particulary feminine garment (a long black cardigan) but i was outbid at the last minute - at first i just thought oh well at least i've saved myself some money but soon after started feeling annoyed when i thought about the outfits it would go well with - so i am wrestling with my concience thinking look it was only an item of clothing you can get it some other time if your that bothered but also thinking get a grip this is becoming an obsession now - it just seems like every now and then i see a gg wearing something and its like i've got to have it - i know some people particulary women do suffer from shopaholic sydrome - anyone identify ? its just scaring me a bit caus its too easy to buy stuff now and you need money for other things as well !
Yes it is! im told its called the pink fog....:hugs:

JaytoJillian
12-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, if you have to ask...

Wendy me
12-30-2007, 06:32 PM
omg shopping ...... well i don't do on line shopping i shop in the stores .... lol a obsession?????... lol yes i have it .... a lot of times i am not even looking to buy something ......then a pair of omg to die for too cute heels ( i have a shoe thingy lol).....jumps out and i have to have them ...... and then it sets me off to find a outfit to go with them......don't worry your just as normal as me..........

Lindahexi
12-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Yes it can become an obsession; I do all of my shopping in the stores, no mail order or E-bay for me. I love the buzz of actually looking through the clothes and choosing them. I find it difficult to resist any garment that I really like, and I now have too many clothes and my bank balance is shrinking.

docrobbysherry
12-30-2007, 06:36 PM
I'm sure you'll get A LOT of posts on this subject. I started serious CDing after my separation, about 8 years ago. Since I spend a lot of time driving around the area, I used to stop at several favorite second hand stores. Then, I added a trip to the huge county Goodwill outlet once a week. Since nothing cost over $5, I bought everything and anything I liked! Goodwill also used to have specials, any piece of clothing for $1, and half price specials they still run. Money was never an issue, because it's all so cheap.

The result is; two complete rooms of every type/style of women's clothes, undergarments, shoes, etc. More than I could ever wear.
Needless to say, I don't do that much anymore! Maybe stop once a month. I do still often order wigs, forms, shoes, etc. online.
RS

Deborah Jane
12-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Yes Shirley it can become very addictive, i spend more on clothes now than at any other time in my life. The same as the others say, i often see an outfit and wonder how it would look on me, so i just have to have it.

trannie T
12-30-2007, 06:46 PM
I don't have a shopping problem! I don't! I can quit anytime I want! I can! Just one more pair of panties. I really need them. And that bra. And that denim mini skirt.

No I don't have a shopping problem. Much.

Phyliss
12-30-2007, 06:50 PM
For more years than I care to think about I would so want to buy some clothes. Fear and worry were my biggest "hold backs". Since I've slayed those "dragons" I'm making up for lost time, much to the pain in my bank account.

Sharon B.
12-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Guilty here, do most of mine on line shopping.
Every once in a while will head to the mall in drab attire with feminine undergarments on and shop.
The last time there I was shopping in Lane Bryant's store and the SA asked about the woman I was buying for and I confess to her the purchase was for myself, she offer to let me try it on but backed out, haven't been back since.

TammiHeartilly
12-30-2007, 07:21 PM
I've only just recently started shopping for clothes on the net (still too scared to shop in store...) but the more I shop the more I want! Plus now whenever I look at women I examine what they're wearing and imagine how I'd look in it. So yes, I guess you could say I am slowly growing an obsession too.

shirley1
12-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Guilty here, do most of mine on line shopping.
Every once in a while will head to the mall in drab attire with feminine undergarments on and shop.
The last time there I was shopping in Lane Bryant's store and the SA asked about the woman I was buying for and I confess to her the purchase was for myself, she offer to let me try it on but backed out, haven't been back since.

i tell you what i am the guy who up until recently ie before i had the net used to spend 2 or 3 hours walkin round shoppin malls looking into the doors of womens clothes shops then going to the pub for a few beers so on till i had the nerve to walk in these shops - when i did knowone took any notice - so for those of you that say the fear is the fear itself you are 100% right - now that i can buy online its like i am making up for lost time but i need to have a limit on what i spend !

Suzy Harrison
12-30-2007, 07:57 PM
I didn't used to spend much at all... then I started using ebay last May and spent just under $2000 in 3 months......

Then I started to go out in public - even worse !...... Then I got up the courage to start using the female fitting rooms - Even if there wasn't anything I was really interested in, I'd still pick up a dress or a skirt and go and try it on in the fitting room - just for the rush. But once I'm wearing it I'd just have to have it...

Honestly, the rail in my wardrobe now sags under the weight..

susanmichelle
12-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Yes Yes and Yes. I have one rod with male clothes on it. The other 2 rods are full of womens clothing not counting the other closet, plus the two dressers full of clothes. I cant go out without seeing something i cant resist and end up bringing that home too. Guess I need to get a bigger place soon or more closets. Maybe i need help with the pink fog too. LOL

Kieroney
12-30-2007, 11:19 PM
Great subject, and oh yea it can be a very huge addiction, I feel it has alot to do with one's personality, once I start wanting something, there is no stopping me on getting it, and that seems to be with everything just not clothing.

Marvina Martian
12-30-2007, 11:57 PM
:iagree:

I do however have a couple of little shopping secrets that I am willing to let you girls in on though.....
First when I see something on evilbay that I absolutely have to have I use this little service called Auction Sniper. Once you have signed up you will be able to have them bid on your item at the very last second, at the amount you tell them too! I win most of my auctions this way! :D
Second is to go to Goodwill on their Saturday sale day. Everything is 50% off! You can find some amazing stuff there too! We went yesterday and I saw some Lucky Jeans there for $3! Too bad they were 14's, I need a 6! :cry:
I ended up with two arm fulls of clothing for $53:BS:
I even took everything to the dressing room and tried it all on (they don't usually have attendants!). Good thing I was wearing my bra and matching undies under my drab clothes so I could see how everything really fit!

You can also try savers as they are basically a upscale version of goodwill....;)

Ready, set, SHOP!

Debbie47
12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I have more clothes than I can store. I do need to get rid of some older outfits but have a hard time finding the time to purge them. Shoes are my big problem. I just bought pair number 192 and pair number 193 will be in the mail soon! Debbie

Staci
12-31-2007, 12:03 AM
It definitely can become an obsession. I find that I have to limit myself on how much I will buy and when I will allow myself to buy my next item. If I don't do this I will just keep buying as there are so many cute items that I would just love to wear. Happy shopping.

xdresser4u2dressup
12-31-2007, 12:30 AM
OMG Yeeees ,

My femme clothes wardrobe would go on a bar at least 30ft long , Now shoes , Lets see I have at least 30 pair including sandals, Tights , MMM probably about 8 pair of different colors and Hose OMG Pantyhose I probably have at least 50 pair as i do go through them and wear everynight as well as at least 2 times a week . Nail Polish LOL , I have 10 different shades on the computer desk here . Now earrings Probably around 75 pair plus and 2 jewelry boxes as i have yet to put my jewelry armoire together . As of now i have so much I had to put most of it in totes and keep my favorites < winter and a few summer ones in the house .

I still order on ebay but its rare and if im looking for something in particular otherwise I wait and get it at Goodwill or Salvation army as you can luck across real good buys especially at the end of the year near tax season and the half off is not a bad deal either . I went out today and bought at least 8 gafrments and this happens a lot , My wardrobe constantly grows and i have to restrain myseldf and have often wondered do i need help .

Kellycd7
12-31-2007, 01:13 AM
Heels,..I go absolutely bonkers for at least 5" heels,..I love shopping for them, wearing them,..I admit it I am obssessed with high heels.....there,..I said it..:drooling:

ashlee chiffon
12-31-2007, 01:59 AM
all from my fav thrift store! Cheap and you can try them on and noone cares! Best place to shop bar none as there is lots of new stuff hardly worn, so sizing is perfect and the prices are so affordible, i have an overflowing closet!!! Once in awhile, i get affordible stuff on Ebay and from Newport, so buying clothes doesn't have to "break the bank"!
Shop around luv! There's always bargains!
ciao!

obsessedwithpantyhose
12-31-2007, 02:50 AM
skirts skirts skirts skirts skirts and more skirts ALWAYS short,, i LUV to show off my legs encased in pantyhose,,,, and heels r starting to become my other weekness,4 inch open toe strappy heels:D

i to have a few bottles of polish and i always have my nails painted bold colors,:D

shop goodwill and savers stores for bargans:D,, i even got a few nice skirts from walgreens, 2 for 12 bucks,,hope they bring them back this summer,,,,i look for skirts with pockets so i can wear them in public without a coat,, i only have 2 hands and im not one to carry a purse as i dont dress fully enfemme

YangGuiFei
12-31-2007, 04:25 AM
Of course it can! After all, there's so many types of clothes, all the colors, styles, shapes. Gotta have them all!

Priscilla Ann
12-31-2007, 07:32 AM
Yes, it can become an obsession. I am like Bre Rue. I used to shop at the Salvation Army Store on half price day. Now I have a closet with tons of stuff in it. I look at something and think...that might look good...it might fit...it's only $3.
I would buy about $20 worth of stuff at a time.

Luckily, the Salvation Army Store closed down so I didn't have to add another room on the house for my clothes.

Angie G
12-31-2007, 08:28 AM
I don't shop on line I go to the stores and I use something called Cash when the itte cash I have is gone I stop shopping. How UnAmerican is that. :hugs:
Angie

MsToriJones
12-31-2007, 08:52 AM
I don't shop on line I go to the stores and I use something called Cash when the itte cash I have is gone I stop shopping. How UnAmerican is that. :hugs:
Angie

No No How SMART is that

Oh to have such discipline

debbeelee1
12-31-2007, 09:34 AM
My SO and I share a 6' x 10' walk in closet. Before CD'ing, my drab share was about 30%. After 1-1/2 years of CD'ing, the closet is bulging at the seams and I'm thinking a adding an addition on the house for a 20' x 20' walk in closet. Mmmm, maybe that won't be big enough!:bonk:
We do shop at the thrift store a lot for 20 bucks, we can get a trash bag of about 25 pounds of clothes. If they don't fit, give them to Goodwill!

Carla68
12-31-2007, 09:57 AM
Well at least I'm not the only one. Since getting broadband internet I can't resist surfing for something new to add to the wardrobe (I mean boxes,bags and cases).Storage always a problem when your female clothes out number your male clothing by a huge percentage. Even going for cheap bargains the cost soon mounts up and always dread the credit card statement coming in.

So the BIG QUESTION is, if it wasn't for all of us shopping all the time what state would the womens clothing industry be in ??

Regards

Carla68

obsessedwithpantyhose
12-31-2007, 11:13 AM
if it wasnt for the men buying pantyhose they would go out of business:p

Sarah89
12-31-2007, 01:39 PM
Ive only been shopping for clothes once, and that was actually just last saturday :D. (Its pretty much been a year since i discovered the female part of me) so I wanted to step up from buying makeup , to buying clothes.
And I must say ..WOW what a rush, (Bought a cute top, a nice casual hat,3 pairs of pantyhose/tights , and a long skirt.
its only been 2 days , and..WOW its very addictive , I already want to go back to buy more stuff, and it doesnt help working in the stockroom of a dept.store :p so much beautiful clothes, and i cant go out to buy them because Im too scared:heehee:.

I never thought shopping was addictive...but next pay day , im going back into town to add to my currently small collection !!

So yeah , it probably could become an obbession , depending on the idividual.

shirley1
12-31-2007, 09:56 PM
well anyway i went to bed last nite couldnt get to sleep still angry about not gettin the cardigan i wanted off ebay - got up and managed somehow to order one through dorothy perkins dont know if youve got them in the sates ect and got one cheaper but better (a gg i work with has one excactly the same) i know where she shops now! - i got back into bed happy contented knowin i got what i wanted - yeh i have to stop buying for a bit now and i will but god i cant wait for that cardigan to arrive !

Eliza
12-31-2007, 10:00 PM
My Credit Cards would say Yes !!!!!!! :heehee:

Angie G
01-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Shirley I go shopping in stores with only so much cash when it's gone no more shopping. :hugs:
Angie
P.S. It can get easy to spend more then is good for you.

shirley1
01-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Shirley I go shopping in stores with only so much cash when it's gone no more shopping. :hugs:
Angie
P.S. It can get easy to spend more then is good for you.

yeh the problem is when you buy online with your flexible friend - there used to be an advert on uk television that called your visa your flex friend - yeh it is until its telling you what it wants you to pay this month - i'm not buying anything else for at least 2 or 3 months i dont need to i've got what i wanted for now - or at least until the next time i see a gg wearing something i want (she got to have it!)

Deanna2
01-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Can buying clothes become an obsession ?

OMG, I hope not - unless, of course, it's femme gear.

Eugenie
01-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Yes indeed, buying women clothes often becomes an obsession... While I spend as little time and monney on my male chothes (It is a necessity, not a pleasure) I can spend endless hours in women's section of department stores or browsing mail order catalogues (paper or on line).

Buying women clothes has become almost a compulsive behaviour for me... It is especialy irational as I rarely go out, at least not frequently enough to justify having such a full wardrobe... My often jokes about it...

The worst thing is that I can't throw away those that I don't wear anymore...

:hugs:
Eugenie

vineman
01-02-2008, 08:48 AM
I wasn't buying for myself. I could get my last girlfriend enough stuff. She would look different in every new outfit I got her. It had me wornding all of the time, what kind of look would she have it this and I had to find out. You can figure out the rest.

Michelle Reilly
01-02-2008, 12:51 PM
I go through stages where I just go crazy buying clothes. having purged a few times doesn't help when you have to rebuild from sctach.

Dawn Marie
01-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Shirley,
Yes I've been there. I get on ebay and see something I think I have to have and put a bid on it. Then I win it and now realize I need something to go with it. It is just a never ending cycle, I finally just put my foot down and say to my self, do I really need it and where would I were it too. And the second thing is can I afford to get it. Now I usually only buy when I know I have and excess of money and usualy don't spend too much. I have so many dresses and skirt outfits that I believe I have enough right now. Until I can get my wife to accept me as Dawn Marie, then we shall see.

Joanna-Louise
01-02-2008, 01:41 PM

hell and yeah, i love shopping... browsing looking and trying to image myself wearing said item.. Even tho i tend to use ebay and online stores (mainly because of my shift patterns) its better to goto the shops and see the items you buy first, see how they strectch etc etc etc...

Dont worry be brave, most SA's wont bother you and most hardly notice you even when paying ffor the item. Confidence does come in time, and me, i love it!

have fun and hope your confidence comes in time, remember were part female, who love to shop anyway :)

jo
xx

Fab Karen
01-02-2008, 02:01 PM
Why no, acquiring women's clothing doesn't become an obsession:devil:

KimberlyS
01-02-2008, 02:48 PM
"Can buying clothes become an obsession ? "

I think for some of us it can be, at least at times. And for me on-line shopping has been worse than in store. But I think for some of us, well at least me, shopping can be a substitute for getting actual CDing time. I am finding the more time I get to CD, get out and about CDing time, the less impulsive I am when I am shopping. The last few times I have been out all day for femme time and shopping, I have come home with a lot less and cheaper items also. And I still do all of the shopping and trying things on all day. I just do not feel a great impulsive need to have to bring something home. I am able to get more things I need or at least coordinate with other things I have.

I can still be a bit obsessive / impulsive with the clearance racks and second hand stores. Or is that just my natural gift of finding a good deal?

Scotty
01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
It was at first, but after HRT started it wore off, I have a few skirts, blouses, tons of different panties and tanks - but since I don't go out I don't need too many outfits I guess...