PDA

View Full Version : Is watching a daytime soap opera considered feminine?

Traci_Ann CD
12-31-2007, 03:32 PM
I have watched the daytime soap opera The Bold & The Beautiful since high school (I graduated HS in May 94). At this same time, I also watched Young & The Restless, and also All My Children, off & on.

I still watch B & B as much as I can (since I work 4 day/10 hour shifts, I'm able to watch on Mondays with Mondays being the only weekday I have off) and keep up with the show through CBS.com, other B & B message boards, etc and also the different soap opera magazines at the super market. Now I watch Y & R off & on but not full time anymore like I used to and no longer watch AMC. Pretty much...B & B is the main one I keep up with. I started watching daytime soap operas because during HS, I never had a summer job and therefore...was at home during the day, taking care of different chores, etc.

When I'm at Wal-Mart or any other stores, I like to pick up a Soap Opera Digest or Soap Opera Weekly and read what's coming up with the show and check out the different pictures of soap opera actresses.

Is this considered feminine? If it is....I'm okay with it. I'm just curious to know.

Any thoughts?

charlie-50
12-31-2007, 03:41 PM
NO girl i dont think so ..hell i like watching cooking programs ..i dont think its make me any more fem...charlie...:hugs:

MarciManseau
12-31-2007, 03:43 PM
No it's just boring :)

Hugs, Marci :hugs:

Kate Simmons
12-31-2007, 03:56 PM
I don't know if it's considered "feminine" or not. I do know I can see one show and then not see it for six months and and still be basically in the same place when I watch it again. Also, it seemed just about everybody on them had the name "Megan" in the mid 1970's.:happy:

charllote34
12-31-2007, 03:59 PM
I think it would be like saying is watching football ( soccer ) a masculine thing to do!

Bethany_Anne_Fae
12-31-2007, 04:05 PM
Why would watching a soap be feminine?

heck, i've been watching that very same soap off and on since its debut, and ten years before I even considered dressing up.

So .... no

I DO wish they would get rid of the whole Brooke Logan/Ridge on again off again storyline. Thats one dead horse pureed with a whip.

*hugs*

Zara

joann07
12-31-2007, 04:23 PM
In college, I used to watch General Hospital a lot because the women were soooo hot.
This was back in the late 80's when Emma Sams a pretty big star on that soap as well as on Dynasty. OMG! She was soo hot. :drooling:
And that English accent of hers was icing on the cake.

StacyCD
12-31-2007, 04:35 PM
Probably not. A lot of 'prime time' shows Dynasty, Dallas, etc.. could just have well be on at noon and then they would have been called soaps! The plots, actors, etc. would all be the same but the name changes because of the time the show airs. Go figure!

Ruth
12-31-2007, 06:11 PM
I enjoy some of the soap-type series that have plots consisting mostly of relationship problems, and that is kind of girly, but like you say, I'm OK with that. Also in film I enjoy a lot of what the guys call chick flicks (period romances like Jane Austen etc.) and find war and action films totally boring. But again, that's what I like and I'm not troubled about it.

sterling12
12-31-2007, 06:13 PM
No, I think it's just a waste of time! I don't think wasting time qualifies as masculine or feminine.

I am told that you can stop watching that Soap for 1-2-3 years and if you happen to catch a random program, it's like you never left. You can pick right up on The Plot.

I've always been a short story fan, I think it's a Genre' that writers from The U.S. excel at. When I watch the plot on a Soap, I find myself always thinking, "get to the point, your just wasting time with meandering dialog that doesn't add anything to The Story."

Yeah, the women are "hot." But, if they are any good as actresses, you'll get to see them on primetime in just a couple of more years. And you won't have to put up with crappy dialog.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Scotty
12-31-2007, 06:15 PM
I was in an infantry unit once upon a time and used to watch soaps with my wife all the time. We had a favorite. Not sure I could do it again unless I was self-employed!!

Stormgirl
12-31-2007, 06:25 PM
Who freaking cares? Good Grief!

Stormgirl
12-31-2007, 06:26 PM
I was in an infantry unit

Army or USMC? Please tell me you were a Devil Dog!

SherriePall
12-31-2007, 06:37 PM
My wife thinks so. She gets upset if I talk too much about the soaps around other people. BTW, I cried at Luke and Laura's wedding.
Semper Fi!

Stormgirl
12-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Semper Fi

PLT 2093 Parris Island

docrobbysherry
12-31-2007, 06:58 PM
I don't know if it's considered "feminine" or not. I do know I can see one show and then not see it for six months and and still be basically in the same place when I watch it again. Also, it seemed just about everybody on them had the name "Megan" in the mid 1970's.:happy:

So THAT'S the reason my older girl had 32 "Megans" in her class in high school!
RS

Nicole Erin
12-31-2007, 06:59 PM

Christ Marci, the poor lady lives in Kansas! One has to pass time SOMEhow!

But yes, watching soaps is definately a feminine thing.

It is even MORE feminine if you hate some of the characters or do like my wife and yell "GRRR! I hate that Wh*re!.... she knows he is marrying [some lady] but she is sleeping with him!"

I just say "Yeah, some nerve!" :rolleyes:

Lanore
12-31-2007, 09:42 PM
I stopped watching soaps a long time ago. They never die and they are all related to one another.

Lanore

kimmy p
01-01-2008, 01:59 AM

You beat me to the punch.:happy:

vivianann
01-01-2008, 02:08 AM
yes I think so.

Carly D.
01-01-2008, 10:04 AM
I used to watch soaps until 9/11 happened, then I just stopped cold turkey...

irmichelle
01-01-2008, 05:54 PM
I know more guys that watch soaps than women. Feminine? What would this world be without victor and nikki.

Hali
01-02-2008, 11:40 AM
it depends on the soap opra..

-Bold and the Beautiful....girly/femme
-Prison break (if we can call it a soap in this category)...neutral/masculine
-Cookery programs....neutral/femme/masculine
-American Idol (not an opra persay)...neutral/femme
-Opra show.......house wife kind of femme/(married men on special occations)
-Desperate house wives.......vindictive female/vindictive
men

hey all of the above is based on my own opinion and i can go on-and-on .....he..he....bye.

Stephenie S
01-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Who freaking cares? Good Grief!

OMG, Yes!

Scotty
01-02-2008, 07:05 PM
Army or USMC? Please tell me you were a Devil Dog!

PM On it's way....