PDA

View Full Version : Why do you need a female name? Part two.

Wickanne GG
01-04-2008, 06:21 PM
In the “why do you need a female name?” I had some enlightening responses.

Pretty much everyone on the Internet has an alias to protect their privacy. If you have a ‘male’ name and you change it to a ‘female’ name to use, for example, on this forum, would you select a different ‘female’ name to protect the privacy of your first ‘female’ name?

How important is your ‘female’ name to you? Does it have a specific mean to you or do you change it to suit your mood?

DanaJ
01-04-2008, 06:29 PM
When I had my first total head-to-toe salon makeover, it was the very first time I had seen myself totally en femme. The girls at the salon "christened" me and came up with the name Dana, and well - I liked it. So I wouldn't change it now, it really is my name on the forum and the rare times I use it outside the forum.

Daintre
01-04-2008, 06:36 PM
My femme name is very important to me, more so than the one I was saddled with at birth. In my day to day life Jenni gets more mail than my drab self. I was diagnosed years ago as a TG, when I finally embraced that, Jenni became very important, so much so that I feel Jenni is "me" the drab hangeronner is the alias, but I need it for legal matters.

MJ
01-04-2008, 07:10 PM
well My femme name is very important to me too . you see it is who i am . and i never thought about changing it to protect myself until a few months ago now i do use another name when at another web site

Julogden
01-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Nope, I use the same female name for everything in my online activities related to gender stuff, but I don't use my last name very often for privacy reasons.

I chose the name Carol back in the 1970's, been Carol for all gender-related things for over 30 years now. I chose that name because of several Carols I've known and admired, so I decided that was the name for me, just felt right. That's the only female name I've ever used.

Carol

Shelly Preston
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
The only time this seems to be of any use whatsoever is when someone is using their female name 24/7

So this is of little relevance to most CD's

Only TS's & GG's are protecting of there first female name

I dont see what is to be gained by asking this question ????

Tamara Croft
01-04-2008, 07:40 PM
I dont see what is to be gained by asking this question ????Confusion maybe? :heehee:

Angie G
01-04-2008, 08:26 PM
I love my female name it is me. If I was to get a legal name change it would be to Angie The name has special meaning to me. :hugs:
Angie

Babette
01-04-2008, 08:48 PM
My female name has a very important meaning to me. It was given to me by my wife several years ago. My parents were hoping for a girl before I was born. They had planned a very similar name as well. I have no reason or intention to change it.

Babette

Mariah
01-04-2008, 09:04 PM
I use a alise for everything no matter if it's my "male" area's my "computer" area or my real self area. and only give out my name when I get to know the people enough to know most will not stock me. :P lately though I'm getting rid of some alise I mean 5 is too many lol *^_^*

keris

melissacd
01-04-2008, 09:19 PM
The answer is yes, Melissa Paige is important to me so it is a name that I want to protect.

When I started I did not have a femme name, I used some auto generated name from an ISP I had at the time. As I became more accepting of my femme side I decided that it was time to have a femme name (much as the other CDs that I saw out there in Internet land). Prior to that I did not care.

For reasons that I do not understand, Melissa popped into my head and it stuck, there was no special reason I chose it, it was a name that found me. When I considered changing it all of my CD friends told me that I shouldn't, they all saw me as a Melissa (whatever that means) so I stuck with it. At one CD forum that I signed up with they required a proper last name so I decided to choose Paige because I found Paige Davis of Trading Spaces quite hot and stylish - so I figued why not. The admin of the board said that she really liked the name Melissa Paige and the rest is history. It is now my femme name and yes it has become important to me. ...

As I grow and evolve my femme persona Melissa becomes less a name and more a part of who I am.

MichelleOBrien
01-04-2008, 10:06 PM
My name just seems to fit me. it's important of course, because it's part of my identity. However, I see no need to keep it a secret from like minded people. those who are not so openminded, however, not only don't know my name, but have no idea of anything about me. personally though, once I come out to the world officially, everyone will know and I won't care.

Michelle O'Brien

Wickanne GG
01-04-2008, 10:09 PM
The only time this seems to be of any use whatsoever is when someone is using their female name 24/7

I didn't know that...and it would seem from PM that it is not case.

I am not so sure about that.

Also from private chat and EXPERIENCE, what you state in not fact.

It's probably about as relevant as seeing toilet questions 3 times a week on here. Like any question, there is a reason it is asked.

Respectfully,
Wickanne

Julogden
01-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Hi Shelly,

Clearly, Wickanne is trying to understand us better. Education of Wickanne, a friend, is what is being gained.:2c:

Carol

Genifer Teal
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
Without reading any other replies, here is mine.

First, I chose a female name back when I started on line in chat rooms. The first chat room had a picture icon alongside your name. I would not want to be called by a boy name in public. Even though I was not out yet, The chat room had a pic of me, so a female name seemed more appropriate. A boy name in public would not match the female image I try to create.

Now as for my names signifigance, I have been out so much in the NYC club scene that a sizable number of people know me as Genifer. Names are not dynamic they are static - like IP addresses should be. It would be difficult to change my name even if I wanted to (but I don't). For example, over the last two times I've been out, 4 people that I didn't know already knew me as Genifer. I may have met them once briefly but didn't remember them, or they had heard or were told about me. That is cool. I like that I am memorable and having a memorable name to go with that helps.

A boy name just wouldn't work the same way with the femme image I have created. I could imagine someone's thoguht process - wow he looks good enough to almost forget he's a man. Using a boy name would be re-enforcing a part of me I'd rather they overlook. Maybe a gilr name is just eough brainwashing to help them overlook the boy part of me. Either way, I have created a persona that enough people know so I would never want to change it.

Gen

Gen

Staci
01-04-2008, 10:45 PM
I only use Staci for online stuff. I never go out so don't use it there. I'm not that attached to it. So if for some reason I felt I wanted or needed to change it I could. I have used this name for about 3 or 4 years now. I actually used Angela for a while but not only were there a lot of them but once a person got real ornery about it on a website because it was her name. So I changed it.

Valeria
01-05-2008, 02:30 AM
Pretty much everyone on the Internet has an alias to protect their privacy. If you have a ‘male’ name and you change it to a ‘female’ name to use, for example, on this forum, would you select a different ‘female’ name to protect the privacy of your first ‘female’ name?
Well, I'm TS, so I'm not sure I'm who you are interested in. But I think that it will come as no surprise when I announce that Kehleyr is not my real name. It's just a pseudonym I use here to protect my privacy. I do use my real first name on some other forums, and some of the people here (including several of the mods) know my name.

How important is your ‘female’ name to you? Does it have a specific mean to you or do you change it to suit your mood?
My real first name was given to me as a pet name by my mother when I was a child, and my middle name was her middle name (and is a multi-generational family name). Also, it's the name that my life partner (among others) has known me by since I was a teenager. So it's pretty important to me.

I would never change it. It's who I am. I'm just using an anonymous username here for privacy.

Dalece
01-05-2008, 03:11 AM
I use my fem name outside when I'm dressed and a woman. my male name all you do is drop the ce on the end.

Fab Karen
01-05-2008, 06:07 AM
To put the shoe on the other foot, if you gave birth to a GG child, why would you want to give it a female name?

kim85
01-05-2008, 06:11 AM
To put the shoe on the other foot, if you gave birth to a GG child, why would you want to give it a female name?

Some people dont, i want to name my first child alex girl or boy......

Kate Simmons
01-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Not for this place so much. This is kind of like "Cheers" where everyone knows your name. I used to use a few different ones on different sites but dropped them in favor of the current one.:happy:

Wickanne GG
01-05-2008, 09:21 AM

I'll try that shoe on :D

I have 5 children...4 boys and a girl. My daughter (27) has a unisex name, actually it was always used as a male name up until I named her now I hear it quite often. You have no idea how many, "But that's a male name!" I heard her first 5 years. Some think I named her to fit in with the four boys until they find out she was my second born. She has so much respect for her older brother that she named her first born (a daughter) after him, Alex. As for the other three...one has a unisex name. I think my issue with names was I was an "A-holic"...three of my children have names starting with "A".

Pamela Julie
01-05-2008, 04:28 PM
My male name can also be a female name. I chose Pamela several years ago and added Julie early last year. For my femme self I needed a name that was distinctly female to keep my two sides distinct from each other, although my femme side is deeply entrenched into my male self. I always use Pamela Julie as my femme name and only alter it for web sites that will not accept it for whatever reason.

TxKimberly
01-05-2008, 04:54 PM

I would SOOOO much prefer to see honest curiosity and questions like this than your typical "what kind of panities do you like?" type question.

How important is my fem name to me? Going by another first name would not be a tragedy for me. I wanted a pretty name and Cinderella seemed just a touch over the top, so I thought Kimberly was a nice happy medium.
After I chose it I discovered that a million other crossdressers had the same idea. I could live with a different name but stick to it pretty much for convenience sake. Changing my name now would be a royal pain. Screen names would have to change, email would have to change, people I have built up friendships with would have to adjust. It's just wouldn't be worth the hassle. My last name on the other hand is my mothers maiden name and therefore has true meaning for me. That I would not be willing to change.

linnea
01-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I think that this is a very interesting question. The names that I use--there are several--all mean quite a bit to me. The one I use on this forum means the most. I use it here because despite their anonimity the people who frequent this forum have been very helpful and supportive of my struggles and triumphs as a crossdresser. I am very grateful for that. Consequently, I use the name that is most reflective of my femme personality and presentation. If I were able to live en femme 24/7, it is the name that I would use.
Thank you for asking.

Ashley Williams
01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Nope, I use the same female name for everything in my online activities related to gender stuff, but I don't use my last name very often for privacy reasons.

I also use the same name everywhere - the privacy of not using your surname is surely sufficient, isn't it?

The irony for me is that everyone is always spelling my real name the female way. I have turned up for jobs and for hotel stays and found they have been expecting a woman. I have never yet offered to change my clothes to match the name, though.

For many the irony is lost, though, because names like mine seem to be spelt any way people feel like it at the time, so the significance is not realised.

Hey ho!

prettieboy
01-05-2008, 08:39 PM
i am a real cder. dont have one never thought about a name until this sitethis site. i hope this helps

Danielle Hyatt
01-25-2008, 01:15 AM
I just have a female name just for fun no one konws that is Danielle Hyatt:D

trannie T
01-25-2008, 01:55 AM
I use a female name which I change depending on my mood. I only use it when I'm en femme and most people I encounter have a horrible memory for names so little notice is taken if I change it occassionally.

crusadergirl
01-25-2008, 01:59 AM
I don't believe i need a female name, but it just wouldn't feel right using my real name when i look like a girl. Plus some stripper is using my nick name as a guy so i won't use it. As for the names i use i like Kirra it's always been my favorite female name. I use Siren as well and Eris but i will stick with Kirra that name does mean alot to me.

Jocelyn Quivers
01-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Good question. As of now here is the only place I rally participate at so it does not matter too much. My femme name is of great importance to me, it is who I am. So whenever I plan on going out to events and support groups I plan to keep it.

Angela Burke
01-25-2008, 09:06 AM
It just seemed appropriate that as I was dressing as a girl I should have a girls name. I can't remember why I named my female self Angela as it was a long time ago. I can only assume it's because Angela has the same first two letters as my male name.

JoAnnDallas
01-25-2008, 10:04 AM
To me having a female name because it would sound werid to be all dressed up and tell someone, "Hello my name is John or Bruce or Bill". You will get some real odd looks if you did. LOL I sure it could out you real quick. I seem to pass somewhat and my female name helps in this.

Raquel June
01-25-2008, 10:10 AM
I really don't understand the question. If you're putting so much effort into trying to be femme, spending tons of money on clothes/forms/makeup/etc, why would you use a boy name? Aliases are free, and you can be whoever you want!

If most of us were TG in transition to be totally femme 24/7, I guess that would be a different story -- you would either want to go by your real name or legally change your name to something feminine and go by that.

But for many CDs, this is just another side of them. Maybe there's a fantasy of being 100% girl for some, but it's still a two-sided thing -- there's guy mode and girl mode, and each have a name.

I chat with some other CDs on IM, and a couple of them use their regular guy names or guy-ish screen names. It's pretty strange chatting with the CD named "bluedragon" or "Jack Daniels" about panties.

To be honest if I were super passable, I'd like to go by my guy name; it's a cute name for a girl. I actually know a girl that has my same first and last name.

Kathy Renee
01-25-2008, 10:37 AM
“….would you select a different ‘female’ name to protect the privacy of your first ‘female’ name?”

No, I do not change my female name for privacy. My female name is my identity while enfemme, just as my male name is my identity in drab. For privacy I do protect last name, address, phone numbers, email address, etc. Mostly because I am deeply closeted and for safety.

“How important is your ‘female’ name to you? Does it have a specific mean to you or do you change it to suit your mood?”

Yes, my female name is very important to me and, No, I do not change it to suit my mood. I had always liked the name Kathy and used it as my fem name forever. Paraphrasing from another thread regarding naming: I learned a few years ago that some baby name personality study defined Kathy as a dark-haired woman who is quiet, friendly and very kind which fits me very well. While signing up for CrossDressers.com I decided that I needed a middle name. I always liked Renee. I looked up Renee and one source said that Renee meant reborn or born again. I considered my acceptance of my fem side a rebirth. Joining CrossDressers.com was a rebirth of sorts as I have begun to step out of the closet. My first and middle fem names are very precious to me.

Pippilotta
01-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Name is identity. Consequently my female side needs a female name. That's really the only thought I had about this matter. As for the name itself - well, there is a little bit of self-irony in it, which might be healthy.

Jilmac
01-25-2008, 10:50 AM
Wickanne, I answered your first post and I will answer this one as well. I have been dressing for almost 48 years but it has only been the last twelve that I have been calling myself Jill. When I started dressing seriously at age 15, I was just a boy in dresses. My given name is William and i have gone by Bill my whole life. When I was 16 I attended a halloween party as a girl. A GG friend helped me with my transformation and also suggested using a girls name for the party. She also suggested just changing one letter in my male name (Bill) to make it a female name(Jill).

At first I was against it because I didn't want anything that sounded close to my boy name so I chose Holly for my party name, after a girl I had a crush on at the time. In private, my GG friend would call me Jill and I never objected to it because it was just between her and me. She eventually married another guy and we lost contact and then I was just a guy in dresses again.

I went through my first marriage dressing but without a femme name and also hiding from my wife. In my second marriage I dressed in private but was getting the urge to meet other dressers through an underground newspaper. I needed a first and last name to place the ad so I chose Billie Holliday, who was a blonde actress from the 40's and 50's. I went by Billie in my ads and used that name for several years until I started receiving mail at home addressed to Billie with my real last name. MAJOR OOPS!:eek:

I immediately stopped all correspondence with the paper and sent phony change of address notices to everyone who sent mail to Billie. Then I was faced with the task of smoothing things with my wife. I rented a PO Box under my real name but in a different postal zip code. That's when I decided to go back to using Jill as a femme name for all correspondence related to my dressing. Jill has been my alter ego ever since. When I started going on line, I wanted a handle that would contain my femme name but would not appear conspicuous to anyone in my family. After numerous tries, I came up with JiFem9ll, which, if spelled out properly, would read Ji Feminine ll.

My wife recently passed away and I no longer have to worry about other family members accessing my account, but Jill has become so much a part of me that I can now feel comfortable using her name or my male name.

Luv and :hugs: Jill

ElaineB
01-25-2008, 11:06 AM
My name was so important to me that I trademarked it! Nobody else can use it now. It's mine Mine MINE! :devil:

Now seriously... It has no importance, whatsoever. Elaine is just a name I picked at random. If it means anything at all, it just goes with an image I had in mind of what an Elaine would look like.

Melinda G
01-25-2008, 11:18 AM
Why do I need a female name? Well, do I look like a Chuck, Harry, or Fred?

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/411/a48vn1.jpg

Nicki B
01-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Do I need an alias for an alias??? :strugglin

No.

KimberlyS
01-25-2008, 12:19 PM

My femme name is of little importance to me. It is only an alias I use to interact with others on line and with other CDers in person when enfemme. I have used a femme name to make others comfortable. I would rather be using a male alias. But there is the pain of changing all of my online aliases and that has been the main reason for not changing.

When shopping I use all of my male credit cards and ID. Including the CC's for the femme stores that I have cards for.
And interestingly all of the CC's for femme stores that I have were applied for in store while enfemme with my male name, ID, and information. And I have had no problems at all.

To me, I am a male that likes to wear femme clothes and it is not a big deal. A goal in my CDing is not to be as girly and womanly as possible. To me I am just aliening my feminine male self with the feminine clothes society has taught me that should be. But to the CDer that has a need to feel and be girly and womanly, and present ones self as female, I can see to them it would be different. Their femme alias would mean a lot more to them.

I just want the acceptance from all of society to be who I am an wear the clothes of my choice without an impact on my family.

NatalieBliss
01-25-2008, 01:39 PM
I am just a dude who likes to wear women's clothes and present female. So I guess I don't need a female name I just want one for the times I feel a bit more girlie than boyish. Also with public outings on the horizon I will fit in a bit more with a "hey Natalie" from my lovely gg friend than a "hey (boys name)

Bethany_Anne_Fae
01-25-2008, 02:37 PM
I dunno, I guess if you looked at this from the other side.... imagine one of the Spartans from the film 300 comes running up all tough-like and screams... "I AM JENNIFER!!!"

It just wouldn't be so.... effective lol

*hugs*

Zara

LisaLedoux
01-25-2008, 02:46 PM
It just seems so logical that I would use a woman's name while I am being the woman that I really am. I went through a number of names trying to determine ones I liked, ones I felt comfortable with, and/or ones that had some meaning. Which ones were "me". My first name is one I like and feel comfortable with, my last name is in honor of a woman who I admire and wish I could trade places with. My middle name...it just sounds feminine.
...Lisa Kimberly Ledoux

Laura Greenhall
01-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't need one - it's just quite a cool idea!

Laura

Lisa Golightly
01-25-2008, 04:23 PM
Lisa was the name my parents wanted to give me if I was a girl... That's why I use it. I don't use any other name.

Wickanne GG
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
I haven’t been ignoring this thread. I have been sitting back and reading your responses…all valid, all appreciated and interesting. I am now going to ask the same questions in the FTM section because one of the things I like about this site is the diversity of answers…positive, negative…it’s all good.

Do I need an alias for an alias??? :strugglin

No.

I don’t know if you do but I do know that there are some who feel they do need an alias to protect an alias…they have their reasons.

:love:
Wickanne

Amanduhrob
01-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Break my name down phonetically, and you'll see it's tongue in cheek.

ashlee chiffon
01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
would feel silly being called by my masculine name when fully dressed...

SweetCaroline
01-25-2008, 07:01 PM
I have a life long connection to my name, so any other name would be inappropriate for me. And no, my man name, Pete, isn't related in anyway. I don't wear Pete's clothes when I'm Caroline, why should I wear Pete's name. Only once have I ever used it as an ailias (at a political forum that pushed me over the edge, long story but I wanted to teach them a lesson), otherwise, I have no problem if people know Caroline is Pete and Pete is Caroline. There is very little difference these days anyways, other than the way we dress, so no alter personality thing for me here.

It's mostly a matter of expression and personal history. I'm presenting myself as Caroline Emily Anderson, I am Caroline Emily Anderson. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Priscilla Ann
01-25-2008, 07:40 PM
Neither my many male names nor my many female names matter that much to me. They do seem to matter much more to other people who need a label to hold on to.

linnea
01-25-2008, 09:39 PM

We could probably ask the above-quoted question about many thread inquiries, but I don't mind that people ask. It's a big part of what keeps the forum going--conversation. Actually, I think that it's interesting because I am aware of protecting my privacy and the need to use aliases for that purpose.
Most of the time I use my favorite fem name--Linnea--because that is the name that means the most to me. However, I have taken precautions on other sites by using a different name or two. And even here I have taken the precaution of not posting a picture (although I may go back to using a snapshot of Linnea again).

shirley1
01-25-2008, 11:05 PM
i dont really have a femme name as such i used shirley as my password without thinking about it - i am caught between names (lorraine, sandra and dawn) but i havnt really bin out much yet - but as i am plannin on going to a tg meetin next week i ill then need a definate name because other girls will not want to call me adrian my real name - it wouldnt suit me in femme and i dont like adrienne - so i think i'm goin for lorraine i really like it slightly more than the other 2 i think - but then again you can always change it as you havnt been christained with that name like your real name !

Eva Marie
01-25-2008, 11:38 PM
If I may respond the original question with a question, why do we need female clothing?

Wickanne GG
01-26-2008, 02:13 PM
If I may respond the original question with a question, why do we need female clothing?

I cannot answer your question. That is something an individual has to answer and I am sure it will vary with each individual.

Wickanne

Jenn2716
01-26-2008, 03:04 PM
I think that any tg person who doesn't use their femme name in public probably has no issues with using their femme name online.

However, any t-girl who is know publicly by their femme name, may wish to maintain some form of privacy and us another femme name online.

Personally, I've always used a femme name online, and also on the couple of occasions that I have interacted publicly enfemme. However, I tried several girl names and never really felt that I've gotten it right yet. In the last 12 years I've used: Jennifer, Jenni, Ciara (briefly), and now Jenna. I haven't had any issues changing my name, because I've never really made any online friends who have become attached to any of my previous names.

I would have liked to have used the name my mother would have given me had I been born a girl, but ironically that is my wife's name and it would be kinda silly to have both of us with the same name. I guess I'll keep on searching for the right one and just use Jenna for now.

Wickanne GG
01-26-2008, 03:26 PM
I think that any tg person who doesn't use their femme name in public probably has no issues with using their femme name online.

However, any t-girl who is know publicly by their femme name, may wish to maintain some form of privacy and us another femme name online.

Personally, I've always used a femme name online, and also on the couple of occasions that I have interacted publicly enfemme. However, I tried several girl names and never really felt that I've gotten it right yet. In the last 12 years I've used: Jennifer, Jenni, Ciara (briefly), and now Jenna. I haven't had any issues changing my name, because I've never really made any online friends who have become attached to any of my previous names.

I would have liked to have used the name my mother would have given me had I been born a girl, but ironically that is my wife's name and it would be kinda silly to have both of us with the same name. I guess I'll keep on searching for the right one and just use Jenna for now.

You look like an "Arabella". :D

i dont really have a femme name as such i used shirley as my password without thinking about it - i am caught between names (lorraine, sandra and dawn) but i havnt really bin out much yet - but as i am plannin on going to a tg meetin next week i ill then need a definate name because other girls will not want to call me adrian my real name - it wouldnt suit me in femme and i dont like adrienne - so i think i'm goin for lorraine i really like it slightly more than the other 2 i think - but then again you can always change it as you havnt been christained with that name like your real name !

Adrian is a great name...think about famous moments in movies...no not that movie ;-) I was thinking "Rocky". You could stretch it out to her correct movie name...Adrianna

Thank you all for your responses :-)

Wickanne

Jenn2716
01-26-2008, 03:48 PM
You look like an "Arabella". :D

Wickanne

Arabella - that's a name I never heard before? Where does it come from?

Amy Hepker
01-26-2008, 03:52 PM
I have used Amy for many years. I when I am dressed enfemme my name is Amy. Someday as I start to come out, I will no longer be John, I will be Amy.

Wickanne GG
01-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Arabella - that's a name I never heard before? Where does it come from?

I don't know where it comes from. I only know that "bella" is the Italian feminine for "beautiful", but I don't know that it is an Italian name.

I can tell you were I saw it. One night, about 30 years ago, I got home from a late-shift and was watching some very odd black-and-white movie...not much choice of movies in those days. I was about to turn it off when the characters did a scene in a cemetary and "Arabella" was on a grave maker. I have never forgotten that name. It was so beautiful and thought if I ever had a daughter I would name her "Arabella". When my daughter was born, blonde hair and almost screaming her lungs out, the name just didn't seem to "fit" her so I gave her another name...lol.

I finished watching the movie because of that name.

Wickanne

tommi
01-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I just prefer to think of my femme side as Tommi I don't go out so it really is no big deal but I felt I deserve to call myself by a name that atleast sounds
fem.

Taffy
01-27-2008, 05:58 PM

Ooooh, I soooooo disagree. I have been using exactly the same name everywhere on the web since February 7th, 1997 and it is hugely relevant to me. I have a site, created pages for other's doll sites, post in various groups, participate in chat rooms and get the bulk of my email addressed exactly to me. All of the LGs know me as Taffy and I am very protective of my first name. My name is part of me and it is the label by which I am identified.

...would you select a different 'female' name to protect the privacy of your first 'female' name?
Absolutely not. I wear one of those gold "name" rings on my right hand all the time with "TAFFY CHEERFUL" clearly readable as the letters. In fact it has it twice, so no matter which way it turns around, it is still readable. I actually have a problem with folks who change their name as often as one would change their socks. Esther Dyson, in her book Release 2.0 made an empassioned arguement for "persistent pseudonymity" as imperative for the development of any sense of community online. It is only by recognizing an individual over time that we come to understand and appreciate where they are coming from. With anonymity, which comes from constantly changing names, we never get to that state...

Anna the Dub
01-27-2008, 06:07 PM
My female name is my name now. I changed it legally years ago. It is my name. I don't use any other, anywhere. However, I do not give out my surname.

Wickanne GG
01-27-2008, 06:44 PM
...Esther Dyson, in her book Release 2.0 made an empassioned arguement for "persistent pseudonymity" as imperative for the development of any sense of community online. It is only by recognizing an individual over time that we come to understand and appreciate where they are coming from. With anonymity, which comes from constantly changing names, we never get to that state...

Wow, great point. I had never thought about that side of it before.

Thanks to all for your great replies :D

Wickanne

Aeslyn
01-27-2008, 10:18 PM
My female name has a total personal meaning to me... I love it.
My friend is using it in a story he is writing and it has Celtic connections which is my ethnic background [I am Scotish(mother)/Irish(father)]. I do play online games using the name Aeslyn which is till now was my only online female persona, though i'd always tell people that only my character was a girl, that i was really a guy. So, when i came here I just used the name i was used to using.

Farrah
01-28-2008, 09:05 PM
I use 1 or 2 names depending on where I am. I mostly use Farrah though.

Jenna1561
01-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I have used Jenna for many years now, both online and in RL when I'm presenting as a woman. When I was young, I named my femme self Rebecca/Becky and I really like that name and used it until I married. My wife had a pair of twin sisters who passed away shortly after they were born. Even though she didn't know of my femme side, I thought it would be disrespectful and hurtful to her and her mother, so I changed my name to Jennifer. That lasted for about 2-3 years, then I changed it to Jenna and have used it for the last 18 or so years. When needed I use my real surname with it because that is who I am.

On a side note, I never really liked my male name and when I started college I just started having everyone call me by a nickname. I chose one that was short, rugged, and masculine. Thinking back on it, I probably chose it to "beef" up my image and not draw attention to my "sensitive" nature as many people would describe me.

Jenna