PDA

View Full Version : Drug Abuse and Crossdressing

Sapphire
01-05-2008, 03:29 PM
With crossdressing such a source of happiness and contentment for so many subscribers to this site, it would be interesting to get views on how many or how few of us have had problems with drugs or alcohol. It strikes me that a possible benefit of crossdressing is that it is so enjoyable and fulfilling, even when practised only in private and with limited frequency, that drugs and alcohol must hold very little attraction by comparison.

celeste26
01-05-2008, 03:34 PM
My guess is that the drug abuse would be of the nature of hormones and other types of pseudo hormones without Doctors approval. Rather than the normal types of drugs we typically think of drug abuse.

SiobhanW
01-05-2008, 03:36 PM
Certainly it has the same potential for addiction, and I am probably addicted. But it's the only addiction I can lay claim to. I don't take any drugs (and never have), I don't smoke, and only drink socially (and then only beer or wine).

I think sometimes it can replace an (more?) unhealthy addiction. But you see this all the time with addicts, who shift dependance from one "substance" to another. For example, the drug addict who becomes a fervent born-again Christian.

Scotty
01-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I'll admit that many years ago when I first came oiut to myself I smoked a lot of MJ, and it gave me great insight and courage to put the dress on, but I still dressed anyway - just MORE when I was stoned.
I don't need it, rarely ever touch alcohol or MJ, was just a phase of life I went through to resolve some issues and they resolved nicely, I got great insight into myself, resolved a lot of life issues and got back on the train of life.

I don't recommend doing it, it cost me an $85,000 a year job b/c it gave me a bad attitude (Side effect).....Only when I watched someone else destroy their life did I realize I was doing the same.

JaytoJillian
01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
I drink occasionally... I haven't been "drunk" in more than ten years, and I dont do any drugs at all. CDing is a high for me.

MarciManseau
01-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Never been a druggie and I only drink when we go out dancing, so it's like 2-3 times a month. I had too many other things to hide.

Hugs, Marci :hugs:

Deborah Jane
01-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Never done drugs, only drink socially! Completely hooked on crossdressing:D.

occdresser
01-05-2008, 04:45 PM
I have never used drugs, rarely drink, dress not nearly as frequently as I would like.

AmandaM
01-05-2008, 04:48 PM
I used to party hard in my 20's, real hard. Wayne's World style. Probably hiding from myself.

MarinaTwelve200
01-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I think that those of us especially the "escapists" who CD for stress releif are less likely to do drugs or alchohol to excess. I think that a LOT of alchoholics and druggies could benifit from CDing, as I beleive that the "escape" and "stress releif" I get is the same thing that the adicts are looking for, but a lot more healthy.

Unfortunately, such types see CD as being "gay" and dare not get involved in it. Conversely, how many misinformed CD types go to drugs and alchohol because they are horrified with the same CD=Gay misinformation, and drink or toke in an effort to supress it?

jennydl
01-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Hi,I've never tried drugs and drink rarely(one or two when out for a nice dinner)never smoked either.
jenny

MJ
01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
I think that those of us especially the "escapists" who CD for stress releif are less likely to do drugs or alchohol to excess.
I think that a LOT of alchoholics and druggies could benifit from CDing, as I beleive that the "escape" and "stress releif" I get is the same thing that the adicts are looking for, but a lot more healthy.
Unfortunately, such types see CD as being "gay" and dare not get involved in it. Conversely, how many misinformed CD types go to drugs and alchohol because they are horrified with the same CD=Gay misinformation, and drink or toke in an effort to supress it?

interesting Marina but i think we are born with this cross dress Gene , alcoholics and druggies are not ..

as for me Never done drugs, only drink socially! very rarely . and i guess i can say ex smoker 6 months now

tricia_uktv
01-05-2008, 06:45 PM
No drugs, but alcohol has been important to me. In the past I used it to try and mask my femininity and become 'one of the lads'; now, as I transition, I can't let it go but when the transition is complete I guess I will be able to.

luvbnjessica
01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
after being caught dressing at young age and having a very nonunderstanding mom,i turned to alcohol to hide my true self.after awhile alcohol wasn't enough so drugs came into play.after 20 years of using though I'm now into recovery. still hard to share my feeling and true self to others.I often wonder how it would have turned out if my mom would've accepted me.

androgyne
01-05-2008, 07:04 PM
I work in a busy clinic and many of the patients have what I would describe as a drug or alcohol problem. Thus, drugs are not exclusive to the trans community per se and seem to be a problem with all groups. The best we can do is limit prescriptions to non-narcotic and non-sedative drugs, since the potential for abuse is very high among these users.

and i guess i can say ex smoker 6 months now

Congrats! A great decision on your part. :hugs:

battybattybats
01-05-2008, 07:12 PM
interesting Marina but i think we are born with this cross dress Gene , alcoholics and druggies are not ..

as for me Never done drugs, only drink socially! very rarely . and i guess i can say ex smoker 6 months now

About 1 in 12 people are born with a gene that predisposes them to alcohol addiction according to a report I heard some time back on the science show on Australian national radio. 1 in 12 is a lot of people. I wonder if there is a crossdressing gene how many might have it?

I know of a few people who have abused drugs or alcohol as a deeply flawed and self destructive coping mechanism to deal with being gay or some other such so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number who do the same with crossdressing.

Myself, my drug is chocolate, which I not only use in significant quantaties but which I've read is particularly good for my health. And alcohol I take in only minute quantaties on rare occassions, I've never been thoroughly drunk.

Carroll
01-05-2008, 08:57 PM
As I sit here I am having a beer at home. I bought the 30-pack a month and a half ago and I have shared a few. I basically drink no more than 3 beers at gigs. I have never indulged in drugs, and my only addiction is nicotine and cross-dressing.

veronica
01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
i hate to burst your bubble but personally i have ingested enough alcohol and various drugs to kill a heard of elephants

:drink:

Mixie
01-05-2008, 09:33 PM
I smoked a lot of pot in my early, early 20's, and I began to smoke cigarettes too. It was a good way to both cope, and to punish my body as much as I was punishing my mind by not being myself. In the past few months that I have finally began exploring my femme side, I have been the healthiest I have ever been, both physically and mentally. Not that I'm saving money by buying clothes instead of pot, but at least I'm not sabotaging my health and future anymore :D And I'm just a lot happier.

Maybe it would be beneficial to your psyche if I admit that during my experimental days, I did try a wide cross section of drugs. None of the big life killers. No needles, no freebasing, but I did try a lot.

Mariah
01-05-2008, 09:43 PM
no drugs, but I should stay away from alcohol make me want to do something that is bad.

keris

Marvina Martian
01-05-2008, 09:59 PM
I can say that I am most likely the freak in the bunch.....I have never taken anything. I have never tasted alcohol, smoked anything, heck I don't even take aspirin unless I absolutely have to! And I'm not even Mormon (no offense anybody ;) )
I have always been an athlete and just believed in keeping my body as pure as could be.

christina marie
01-05-2008, 10:11 PM
somewhere out there is a beer can that says "you just won a million dollars" on the inside bottom. i am working on finding it!

AmberTG
01-05-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't think I'm all that unusual for people of my age group when I say that I've used a lot of drugs recreationaly and, when I was younger, abused my body occasionally with alcohol. I don't drink anymore, other than socially, I can't take the hangovers anymore. I discovered quite a few years ago that my body doesn't tolerate alcohol very well.
On the other hand, I spent 25 or so years smoking pot for fun, not to bury any problems. Believe me when I say that being stoned brought out the girl in me BIG time! Eventually, it just made me paranoid and put me to sleep, that wasn't any fun, so I quit.
I've never done anything that required a needle, I have a healthy fear of needles. I've also never done coke or crack, things like that. I have experimented with acid, mescaline, speed, hash, and PCP. Mescaline was the most fun, but I only did it a couple times. PCP was THE WORST! Like being super drunk, but you don't sober up for a while. I can see why a horse's eyes bug out when the Vet gives it PCP, it's a horse tranquilizer, in case you didn't know.
I also found out that you can talk to God when you take acid, scared the s**t out of me!
Funny thing, I did all these while in the Army back in the mid 1970s. Thankfully, things have changed since then.

Melissa A.
01-06-2008, 12:46 AM
I used to party hard in my 20's, real hard. Wayne's World style. Probably hiding from myself.

Me too! Wayne's world and Animal House style! I was probably doing the same thing. Though I did have alot of fun! Just a moderate drinker now. Grew out of it, I guess.

Hugs,

Melissa:happy:

Lisa Elaine
01-06-2008, 01:41 AM
In the last couple years of college (I'm approaching 30 now), I used marijuana daily, played drinking games occasionally, and started what became a half-pack-a-day cigarette habit. I experimented with coke and speed as well. Since then, I've completely cleaned up ... no more drugs, no more tobacco, only the occasional beer or two. Also, I've just recently begun my journey into owning and wearing feminine clothing. What a wonderful time in my life! :D In fact, I just ordered my second pair of heels online earlier this afternoon. Traded in my purple haze for pink fog! :heehee:

LilSissyStevie
01-06-2008, 02:02 AM
Clean and sober since August 18, 1978. Crossdressing since 1958.

Lilith Moon
01-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Smoke MJ occasionally...a few times a year, usually at rock music events. Tobacco...not at all since I gave up in my 30s. Occasional alcohol drinker, to relax and never enough to get drunk...yuck. Mushrooms and similar...have tried psychedelics and had some interesting experiences but then moved on.

My point...tried stuff and enjoyed but they are not an important part of my life. In my early CD-ing days I would sometimes have a stiff drink to give me some courage to walk out of the door but now I prefer the CD experience by itself...drugs/alcohol are not a part of it.

morgan51
01-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Clean and sober 14 yrs now. Will try to stay that way no nocotine fo9r 7 yrs. CD for a couple , much more enjoyable and healthier too. Morgan:hugs:

DonnaT
01-06-2008, 08:51 AM
I smoked MJ for about a year while in the Army. One guy said he didn't like wine, but said he'd try it if I tried a joint. It took several before getting a buzz. Stopped after getting married.

Never had a problem with addiction or abuse, besides tobacco. Quit that in 1985.

One of my four brothers is predisposed to alcoholism, so he doesn't drink after discovering this. So, I do believe there is a genetic predisposition to at least alcoholism.

Nicki B
01-06-2008, 08:55 AM
i think we are born with this cross dress Gene , alcoholics and druggies are not ..

IME people abuse any substance because there is something deeply lacking in their life... And that can frequently be the failure to address their trans feelings?

It so often links to depression (IME the trans disease) and unhappiness. Finding your real self - and liking it - can be a successful way to fight out of that?

(No tobacco now for nine weeks. Explains so much, dunnit? :heehee:)

Suzie S.
01-06-2008, 09:06 AM
Well, the 'Animal House' description fit me to a T in my youth! I did enjoy alcohol to it's fullest. :o Although, I can truthfully say I have NEVER done, or will do any type of drug, not even weed. It just never interested me.

Fortunately I straightened out quickly, settled down, and met my dear bride! :happy: I still enjoy having drinks regularly, but learned that getting completely s**t-faced isn't real cool.

Raychel
01-06-2008, 09:25 AM
My mother was a smoker, and back when I was just a young lad, When all the cool guys were smoking, I tried one of my mothers cigarettes. One puff and I was coughing and gaging like crazy. I said to myself "this is not cool" never again did I touch a cigarette. I have had a drink or two in my life. The animal house description would certainly fit me, Up until I met my now wife. Then we settled down and made a life together.

Sure I have a drink now and then, But only on rare occasions now. Certainly not a problem.

MsJanessa
01-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I'll admit that many years ago when I first came oiut to myself I smoked a lot of MJ, and it gave me great insight and courage to put the dress on, but I still dressed anyway - just MORE when I was stoned.
I don't need it, rarely ever touch alcohol or MJ, was just a phase of life I went through to resolve some issues and they resolved nicely, I got great insight into myself, resolved a lot of life issues and got back on the train of life.

I don't recommend doing it, it cost me an $85,000 a year job b/c it gave me a bad attitude (Side effect).....Only when I watched someone else destroy their life did I realize I was doing the same.

Ive been in recovery now for over 12 years---I used to do my CDing alone and in private---now go out dress and meet others all the time.

Veronica 1
01-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Very interesting timing for this thread. I have been drinking daily for years now, 6-8 beer a night and lots more on weekends. I have recently been thinking that I am going to quit and today is day one of my new lifestyle. I even managed to walk past the liquor store to the grocery store to buy pop instead of beer. I am using my need for shoes and clothing to support my faith that I can kick the habit. I have also gone the party drug route but gave that up years ago but will still have an occasional toke, just one or two is enough for me for an evening. Now I just have to kick the tobacco habit, that will be the hard one for me.

DonnaT
01-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Best wishes Ronni.

Kimberly Marie Kelly
01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Never smoked tabacco, Never took drugs and maybe had a drink a dozen times in 51 years. The drinks to make my friends confortable at parties they gave. My addiction is soft drinks, Coca Cola. Hence my weight problem. Don't need drugs or alcohol to have a good time.

Cd'ing also is an addiction of sorts, I can't stop it. But for me I'm single and it does not hurt anyone and it provides a comfort to me.:happy:

orchard
01-06-2008, 03:44 PM
There was a time my blood could have been bottled and sold in the package store. Now I drink fairly moderately, but I do think that there is a strong link between the booze bender and my t-life. When I am not honoring myself I tend to drink more, but then, the same thing seems to happen if I am not honoring myself in other ways. This is a good thread, and worth talking about.
thanks
orchard

sissy_she_boy
01-06-2008, 04:12 PM
I used to party a lot when I was younger. Mostly cocaine, pot, meth and alchohol. But since I started dressing more often I have found that it gives me the same high as drugs without the hangover the next day (giggles). Lately I only have a drink evey now and then. I can't even remember the last time that I was really drunk. To me, dressing is a much bigger rush than drugs ever were.

kisses
sissy dana

MJ
01-06-2008, 04:27 PM
About 1 in 12 people are born with a gene that predisposes them to alcohol addiction according to a report I heard some time back on the science show on Australian national radio. 1 in 12 is a lot of people. I wonder if there is a crossdressing gene how many might have it?

I know of a few people who have abused drugs or alcohol as a deeply flawed and self destructive coping mechanism to deal with being gay or some other such so I wouldn't be surprised if there are a number who do the same with crossdressing.

Myself, my drug is chocolate, which I not only use in significant quantaties but which I've read is particularly good for my health. And alcohol I take in only minute quantaties on rare occassions, I've never been thoroughly drunk.

IME people abuse any substance because there is something deeply lacking in their life... And that can frequently be the failure to address their trans feelings?

It so often links to depression (IME the trans disease) and unhappiness. Finding your real self - and liking it - can be a successful way to fight out of that?

(No tobacco now for nine weeks. Explains so much, dunnit? :heehee:)

thank you both ..i stand corrected

Veronica 1
01-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Best wishes Ronni.

Thank you.

Slip Affinity
01-06-2008, 05:34 PM
I've never done drugs and never will. As for beer ... I've never met a beer I didn't like. I just like some better than others. :drink:

Suzy Harrison
01-06-2008, 05:41 PM
I've never smoked, never taken drugs and have never been that bothered about alcohol.

When I go away on my work visits, I have a bar fridge in my room full of booze, which the company will pay for - but I rarely take anything from it.
I must be content with what I have I suppose.

Sapphire
01-06-2008, 07:03 PM
Very interesting timing for this thread. I have been drinking daily for years now, 6-8 beer a night and lots more on weekends. I have recently been thinking that I am going to quit and today is day one of my new lifestyle. I even managed to walk past the liquor store to the grocery store to buy pop instead of beer. I am using my need for shoes and clothing to support my faith that I can kick the habit. I have also gone the party drug route but gave that up years ago but will still have an occasional toke, just one or two is enough for me for an evening. Now I just have to kick the tobacco habit, that will be the hard one for me.

I wish you every success.

Chiana
01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
My parents were both 3 pack a day smokers. My Dad was an alcoholic and my Mom was an enabler. So it would have been easy for me to go down that path. I have heard alcoholism tends to be hereditary. And my first year at college, I tried to prove it. I did drink way too much but then I backed off from that after my freshman year. I have never smoked a cigarette or smoked anything else. Absolutely no recreational drugs other than an occasional mixed drink or a beer. I really don't like the taste of beer, anyway. And for the most part, I am reluctant to take aspirin, sinus medicine or anything else like that. Gee what a boring person I've become. My Dad was always the life of any party he went to. He just wasn't that much fun for those of us who had to actually live with him.

lori m crawford
01-06-2008, 07:24 PM
yes i used alcohol all tine i am a women in my head i live wear is no drs that can help have live as a male all my life bet getting of hidding it my dr saids live with it i am killing my self by drecking but so what myby that is they it is so to be i am 54 had a long time to thank about it

Jessika Paige
01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
hmmm...drugs...never heroin or extasy. never found peyote. aside from these, i'd have to check the yes box. nurse shot me a blue tip once. only dance with the needle. had a freebase problem..9 months...i survived. coke free 15 years. hallucinogen free 15 years. now i drink wine, toke a little and smoke like a chimney.
cding is just as expensive but way more fun and when the rush subsides you have something (beautiful clothes) to show for it.

JacquiUKTV
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Way back in my early/mid twenties, my long-haired rock'n'roll days, I fell into the habit of smoking cannabis whilst dressed. It greatly intensified the "thrill" of the whole thing....whilst happily stoned, I wasn't just dressed as "Jacqui", I really WAS her, y'know?

In retrospect, that wasn't such a smart move. For me, intensifying the experience in that way made something that might have remained a whim, a mild inclination, into a craving....which later on threatened to drive me to contemplate (variously) transition or suicide. The mechanism is fairly obvious I think, but nonetheless, thirty-some years later I'm still trying to lay it to rest.

Most of the posts here indicate that many of you are smarter than I was....you don't do drugs.

And to those who may feel tempted....please don't do it. You'll be creating future probs for yourself that may have consequences you can't easily undo.

:love: Jacqui.

shirley1
01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
this is too close to home for me - i drink too much at times smoking yes but thats not such a problem as it doesnt change your mindset - alchohol however does - i've been a heavy drinker for years since my late teens - somehow it has interwoven itself with my cding - i started cding a few years before i started drinkin - but in recent years particulary since i have been livin on my own i find it helps to mask or numb any feelings of guilt or apprehension i have about my cding - in fact the few times i have ventured out late at nite dressed have been after consuming a fair amount of alchohol - i dont recommend it ! anything that you can see as stressful to deal with in life can caus problems where drugs are concerned you just have to learn to deal with it - knowone said life would be easy !

JacquiUKTV
01-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Far be it from me to endorse drug-use; this may prove interesting:

It would seem that some research is being done at Johns Hopkins University (under properly-controlled conditions) into possible beneficial applications of hallucinogens with regard to obsessive/compulsive behaviour; in contrast to the ravings of that irresponsible lout Timothy Leary.

To anyone that's interested: google "The psychedelic shaman" and take it from there.

Sorry to rant....I just happen to have seen too many talented and good people, some of them close friends, destroyed by the "drug-culture".

Perhaps something good will emerge after all?

:love: Jacqui.

HalloweenDragon
01-07-2008, 12:32 AM
I try my hardest to stay sober, except for smokin ganja. I quit EVERYTHING else except smoking herb. I used to do anything that people gave me.
Alchohol, cigarettes, meth, coke, LSD, exctasy, pills......seriously.

I just quit alchohol a second time. I quit cold turkey. I have always been an addict of something. I had to even extend my sobriety to caffiene due to the feeling I now receive from those "rushes".

Recently if I even take a Vicodin, I get so horny and turned on, my poor love can barely handle me! For me, sobriety is best. And after doing so many drugs for so long (started when I was 12, quit when I was 30), I still find myself okay with pot and nothing else. To each their own!

Good luck to anyone who needs help. Seek it before others seek it for you!

Joy Carter
01-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I was one of those groupie drinkers. I only did it to be in with my buds. At the tender age of twenty four, I got into a scrape with two nitwits when I was intoxicated. It could have been bad, as I could have been arrested. That made me see God that night, and quit drinking to get drunk. I drink socially or a little at home. Plus I never smoked.
As far as dressing being an addition, no ! It's just who I am, and I enjoy every minute of it. :D

Jessika Paige
01-07-2008, 01:45 AM
i honestly belive my drug experimentation stemmed from my gender confusion. i was dressing before kindergarten, playing and sleeping with dolls till around 8 when, unbenownst to this day by my family, i was molested by a neighborhood boy 3-5 years older than myself. not raped, manipulated and explored. he also introduced me to adam & eve catalogues and weed. from there my life spiraled like in "go ask alice". i have older, deeper wounds as well that may have also been contributing factors but i'll save them for another time. just wanted to explain that most of my drug use was me seeking acceptance of anyone. anyone at all. :(

Megan_Girl
01-07-2008, 02:32 AM
My alcoholism helped me ruin 20 plus years of my life. From 16 to 37 ...."prime dressing years" ...:D. I would'a been HOT too...:heehee:

Booze, drugs, and anything else I could find to change the way I felt in my own skin was my way of living. It was down hill all the way. But the road I have traveled has brought me to today.

Ten years ago my best thinking got me to AA and AA has saved my life. It has taught me "how" (Honest Open Willing) to be comfortable in my own skin. Today I'm happier than I've ever been.... and I often cover that skin in satin and silk. :tongueout

XXX
Megan

Mixie
01-07-2008, 02:48 AM
It has been said in this thread that drugs have been an escape for people who have been denying their own CD or TG desires, so I think this question needs to be asked. Is CD'ing the answer? Or is it just another step on the way to a more untimate existence? And if so, what would that existence be?

Mitch23
01-07-2008, 03:47 AM
i was addicted to internet porn before I came out as a crossdresser. It was having a very negative effect on my relationship and probably was leading to breakup. Dont do it now and am a much more attentive and reliable partner

Mitch

Trish
01-07-2008, 07:44 AM
I have two expensive hobbies, crossdressing, and old cars, I can't afford drugs.

Angie G
01-07-2008, 09:33 AM
I have not done weed in years And almost never drink nowdays. I must be a happy Crossdresser. :hugs:
Angie

Nicki B
01-07-2008, 10:08 AM
It has been said in this thread that drugs have been an escape for people who have been denying their own CD or TG desires, so I think this question needs to be asked.

IME, alcohol is more commonly used as a refuge?

Is CD'ing the answer? Or is it just another step on the way to a more untimate existence? And if so, what would that existence be?

TBH I'm not sure what you mean, here - I presume you meant intimate existence, but could you explain a bit more?? :strugglin

But to fill the gap that people attempt to fill with drink/pills/whatever, you first need to understand what that gap is?

Don't confuse this either with the many folk who use alcohol for 'dutch courage' to get themselves out of the door, to socialise - there are an awful lot of those, too, who need to calm their nerves?

Mixie
01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Well, I used the word 'Ultimate' on purpose, but in retrospect that was probably a poor choice.

Here's what I'm asking: Is crossdressing the answer which gets these people, and I am included, to stop taking drugs (like pot and alcohol) and feel better about themselves? Or is crossdressing just another addiction used to hide a deeper issue which still needs to be resolved?

I ask this because I have come from a very abnormal background. Because of this, and because of the way my outlook, personality, and views diverge from 'normal' peoples' views, I have learned the skill of diving inward to address my own issues as a person. Ideally I would like to find out why I have a desire to cross dress. But maybe I'm shooting for the stars on this one.

Nicki B
01-07-2008, 05:24 PM
Here's what I'm asking: Is crossdressing the answer which gets these people, and I am included, to stop taking drugs (like pot and alcohol) and feel better about themselves? Or is crossdressing just another addiction used to hide a deeper issue which still needs to be resolved?

I don't think there can ever be only one answer, to that - we are all different?

Ideally I would like to find out why I have a desire to cross dress. But maybe I'm shooting for the stars on this one.

Join the club, hun. :) Look at the number of threads around this question... I don't think there's going to be an easy answer, soon?

For you, if you have an answer that makes you feel better about yourself - isn't it worth having? :strugglin

Mixie
01-07-2008, 05:55 PM
You're right, Nicki. Here's what I'm thinking now:

I have always been effeminate, and yet from an early age I felt like I shouldn't be. I remember when I was about 5 years old my grandparents gave me a barbie doll. I really liked the doll, but I immediately pretended like I didn't because I knew it wasn't my role to like it. I never played with it, and I eventually gave it to my cousin who was a girl. I wished I had played with it though.

So, maybe I never would have been a CD'er if I had never restricted myself, and having restricted myself so intensely and for so long, I guess it probably turned into CD'ing. So now all I can do is support myself as best I can or else face the possibility that bad things might begin to happen to my psyche if I don't start accepting myself for who I am.

Raquel June
01-08-2008, 05:40 AM
I've met several CDs, and the vast majority of them are borderline alcoholics, but maybe that's because I go out to CD-friendly bars and the average person at a bar is obviously going to be drinking. I know a couple CDs who are really nice but are definitely alcoholics and possibly suicidal. The only CD I can think of who doesn't drink excessively is arguably psychotic (the only jerk CD I know) and smokes a lot of pot.

I'm clinically depressed and somewhat schizophrenic (social dysphoria, blah blah). Anti-depressants never did me any good at all. I drink a little too much... I probably have 5+ drinks one or two nights a week at a bar or with friends. I've been suicidal a couple times in my life, hospitalized for it once. I've tried coke, DXM, ecstasy, and I've smoked weed maybe 5 times in my life. I've always stayed away from LSD, heroin and crack. I don't really have a problem with drugs, they just aren't really something I enjoy all that much.

The only drugs I ever really liked were ecstasy and Ativan, and I like them a lot (especially X), but I've heard X can permanently depress you if you take too much (although I doubt it'd be a problem if you don't take multiple pills in a 48-hour period), so I only ever took it once. I don't want to be dependant on Ativan (but it really helped me with severe anxiety and panic attacks when I ended a 12-year relationship), so I never even finished my prescription for it.

I don't see crossdressing as something that's going to solve any problems. To the contrary, I think it makes you happy while you're doing it, but not completely happy (you're never as feminine as you want to be), and then you obsess over it the whole time you're not dressed, which for most of us is the vast majority of the time. But drugs aren't going to solve anything, either. So it's all about moderation. Alcohol, drugs, and crossdressing are all things that you can (hopefully) be responsible with, and they're all things that you can go overboard with.

You should at least attempt to approach crossdressing in a healthy way and think of it as a fun thing. I don't think there are many people here who are dressing up like a girl strictly because they think it's fun or funny -- I know I have issues that run a lot deeper than that. But I do worry about people who totally hate their male self and obsess completely over being a girl, because even with surgery you'll never be totally happy with your femininity. Hell, I've never met a GG who didn't have issues with her own femininity. You have to learn to accept yourself. If you think "I'll be happy when I'm a little more girly," you're never going to get there.

Accepting yourself certainly doesn't mean you have to stop crossdressing or stop trying to be more feminine. You just have to understand that if you're a troubled person, just like drugs and alcohol, crossdressing isn't going to bring you true happiness or inner peace.

ShortSkirtCindy
01-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Hello Everyone,

Friend of Bill W. here....approaching 18 years without a drink "One Day At A Time" (AA'er)

I guess I don't fit the "Crossdresser Norn" in respect to the other Members of this Forum, LOL.

Have A Great Day:)

~~Cindy~~

shirley1
01-08-2008, 09:02 PM
intersting reading these threads - i didnt start drinkin caus of my cding - but its like i said become mixed up in it now - alchohol does give you dutch courage - and as someone who really is wanting to go out in public for the first time i dont think i could do it without some drug - my only hope would be that eventully it would become so natural to me after a while that i wouldnt need any help from any drug - maybe its wrong but then again some guys cant chat a girl up without alchohol ect - i think its knowing where to draw the line a few beers for a bit of confidence no problem but to get too wasted would be stupid - i once got totally drunk and walked down to my local store dressed - but i was that wasted i didnt really get anything out of the experience other than total paranioa when i sobered up - lets put it this way i never went to that store again for at least a year thats not what i wanted to get out of it !

dhampir
01-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Beer hasn't really helped my crossdressing, it has increased my waist size. I used to smoke mj and probably would again, probably better for my waist. I am really boring these days, no drugs, maybe a couple glasses of wine / week.

However, as a past user of lsd and shrooms, I don't think God likes to have these lumped into the category of drugs and it makes her a little angry. ;-)

Fab Karen
01-14-2008, 10:12 PM
CD'ing doesn't cause drug use- some people who happen to CD use drugs. BTW, alcohol is a drug also, maybe the most subtle one in our society- it's considered "adult" to drink, and kids ( 18-30 ) think they're supposed to get wasted, "how cool."
Life has ups & downs - I live sober now & I've learned to experience the feelings of living.
A tip: Don't use alcohol to fix depression. It's a depressant & take my word for it, there's nothing worse than feeling depressed AND being drunk.

HalloweenDragon
01-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Unfortunatly, I used to use EVERY drug I could get my hands on. I can definatly say that I never had the guts to fully start exploring the other side of me until I had used a lot of drugs. I used to wear my girlfriends clothes when she left for work, but that was the most. Where I grew up it was the WORST thing to act like or become anything associated with being gay. I am in a relationship with a woman, and she knows my bi-curiousness. I have been with quite a few men, but I still prefer women. I did wonder about my sexuality for quite a period.

After I used exctasy for the first time, I really really wanted to "run out in public" in my new found openess with "the other side". The more I used it, the more open I became at inappropriate times. Meth, alcohol, and prescription pills helped out with the whole mind state also. People that run into me now will say they saw this coming, but wondered how long it was going to take me to realize it.

When I finally sobered up from everything, except the green leaf, I found myself kind of hollow. I have since then filled that gap with music, and being more honest with those around me about my crossdressing. I still have a long way to come out, I do have a almost 9 year old son, so I do not know what life has in store. I take it one day at a time, and try to feel as SEXY as possible, because that is what makes me happy.

Tasha T
01-15-2008, 12:55 AM
I'll just come clean here.

I used to smoke pot from time to time as a teenager into my early 20's, but I haven't done so in the past 17 years. I do not miss that stuff at all. It turned me into a dummy.

I never tried any of the harder drugs like cocaine, crack, heroin, lsd, etc., and never had any desire to. However, I did experiment with "head rush" (some kind of liquid glue I think) and it just killed some brain cells and gave me a headache so I quit doing it. What I ever thought I was going to get out of that I'll never remember.

As far as drinking goes, I am a very rare and light drinker and have not been drunk in 17 years thanks to a traumatic experience that inspired me to give up that hopeless way of life. Some of my drunken "lowlights" included: vomiting in my sleep, driving drunk, being so hungover I slept face down in barn full of cow manure, having sex with a woman who claimed I got her pregnant to try and trap me into marriage and then when I called her bluff sent two guys to beat me up, and...having sex forced on me by a guy (that was the traumatic experience).

Lastly smoking. I grew up vigilantly hating smoking and vowed never to smoke even once, but I did. Never habitually or all that much, but just from time to time over the course of my life. I still have a smoking fetish while dressed up, but I haven't done it in six months and am trying to either stop doing it or do it only on a rare occasion.

That's pretty much it.

Lilith Moon
01-15-2008, 08:34 AM
There seem to be some preconceptions being aired in here. For example...

All drugs are addictive. Not so. Cannabis and LSD are examples of none addictive drugs.

Drugs are an escape from something or to fill some deficit in our lives. Not necessarily. There can be other reasons for taking drugs. I regularly take caffeine as a stimulant..in the form of tea and coffee.

:2c:

Raquel June
01-15-2008, 09:18 AM
There seem to be some preconceptions being aired in here. For example...

All drugs are addictive. Not so. Cannabis and LSD are examples of none addictive drugs.

I certainly didn't see many comments to that effect.

Smoking pot is probably much more healthy than drinking, but a lot of the people arguing for how great it is are the "wake and bake" types. Pot isn't exactly addictive; you won't get withdrawal symptoms from going off it, but it can alter you permanently. Habitual smokers have a very easy to recognize stoner laugh and just act differently than others. Long-term users often have depression problems if they try to quit.

I know plenty people who smoke pot now and then on the weekend (maybe once or twice a month) who are fine. There are people who are pretty much predisposed to be stoners, though. When they try it, they absolutely love it. It's purely semantic whether you call them addicts or just compulsive users. They usually get to the point that they're smoking almost every day, often multiple times a day. These people have a problem no matter how you look at it.

LSD is similar. People used to try and scare everybody and say that LSD would kill you. LSD isn't really very bad for you, but the people who really like it still seem to have major problems. I've never met anyone who did LSD more than a couple times who didn't strike me as a total nut. To a lot of these people, drugs become their religion and they're often trying to evangelize.

NYsong
01-15-2008, 11:59 AM
There are people who are pretty much predisposed to be stoners, though. When they try it, they absolutely love it. It's purely semantic whether you call them addicts or just compulsive users.

Thats me in a nutshell, to be honest. The only reason I am not a full-blown stoner is because I have nowhere to smoke. At first this annoyed me, but I now realize how much better it is this way. Stoners stink, I greatly prefer to be a casual smoker now.

I find that for myself, smoking pot makes me want to dress about 100 times the normal amount. Another good reason not to smoke at home. The one time I did, I got as dressed up as I ever had, and even went outside when my neighbor was outside. I look back at that instance as insane, but I didn't get caught, and I loved every minuter of it, so no harm done.

Just as a review: I am not an addict, but being stoned and dressing is a wonderful thing to me. I also do not think my very casual smoking hurts me, as I am a straight A student with a thriving social life that consists of stoners and anti-stoners. So say what you will, but I do not consider myself a bad person for smoking weed any more than I do for crossdressing.

suzannecarr
01-15-2008, 02:35 PM
i partied in high school and some in college!(couldnt handle the college thing though so i had to stop getting wasted and start studying!( smart thing to do ! i did have an experience when i was a senior ,where i took acid with several friends( all girls) i was kinda dating one of them but they basically convinced me that i was a girl, took me back to my supposed gf s house and dressed me up ( i was the same size as her) we actually went to a party and let me tell you it was something i will never forget, i wont go into details and no i didnt have sex with anyone , its just that being in the state of mind that i was and the fact that they were staying right with me , ( i had also just gotten a perm and my hair was kinda long ) so all in all i was hit on several times and they really got off on it! i can remember at some points in my life though getting high because i felt i couldnt handle the fact that i was different and i did try to dull my senses for a couple of years with beer just about every night! i no longer drink or do any drugs i am happy to say and actually my life is so much clearer and easier now that i dont ,so, thats all i got , there is actually more but bottom line i think we all know that its just a way to mask things and facing who you really are is the important thing, suzanne

Raquel June
01-15-2008, 03:17 PM
I wasn't trying to sound all that judgmental of marijuana/LSD. I drink just about enough to get drunk but not have a hangover about twice a week, and I smoke pot probably once every two months. Obviously the alcohol is much worse for me.

I find that for myself, smoking pot makes me want to dress about 100 times the normal amount. Another good reason not to smoke at home. The one time I did, I got as dressed up as I ever had, and even went outside when my neighbor was outside. I look back at that instance as insane, but I didn't get caught, and I loved every minuter of it, so no harm done.

I dunno, but I think that's pretty hot :)

I don't really like the tunnel vision associated with being high or being all spaced out, but if I was, I think it would be great to be dressed up with a cute CD and just lie in the grass at sunset staring at the sky listening to something peaceful and melodic...

i took acid with several friends( all girls) i was kinda dating one of them but they basically convinced me that i was a girl, took me back to my supposed gf s house and dressed me up...

OK, your story wins.

Celeste
01-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I wish I could turn back the clock and never have used anything.When I smoked weed and drank,I thought it was the best time of my life.I really had no idea it was cheating me out of expanding myself or many other life goals.Month by month dependency crept up, and like myself many don't see it coming.I wasted so much money and time I find it hard to look back on.After not using anything for years,I see how selfish and unfair it was to others by showing them a chemically altered version of myself.

Dressing is entirely different and a true reality that I wouldn't want to distort by the use of anything.I don't see it as a replacement for using because rather than putting something harmful in my body, I'm putting something nice on my body.