PDA

View Full Version : Hormone Help.

Jenna_whalen
01-10-2008, 07:31 PM
Ok Ladies, I have convinced my self to start hormone treatment, What do you recomend the best place to start is. And what the best hormone solution is?

Love Lots

Jennifar.

MJ
01-10-2008, 07:41 PM
to do this right you must see a gender therapist . you may need to talk to your doctor to get a referral.. once you have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder .. you can ask your doctor or therapist to start you on hormones

Jenna_whalen
01-10-2008, 08:09 PM
The only problem is, is that doctor just laughs and says it in my head, and ill get over it. So I am adventuring down alternative paths.

kerrianna
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
MJ is right Jennifar.

Hormones aren't something to play around with. They have a tremendous effect on your body and misuse can cause serious consequences, including death.

They WILL change your body, and not all the changes are reversable so you had better be sure you want this.

That's why seeing a therapist is a good idea. At the very least please go through a GP so they can make sure you have the best chance of success.

I'm sorry you guys don't have national medical in the States yet, because I know it keeps people from seeing doctors when they should. Up here (so far) I don't have to think twice about seeing my doctor for something like this. But hormones are not a trivial thing. Please be careful.

The only problem is, is that doctor just laughs and says it in my head, and ill get over it. So I am adventuring down alternative paths.

I just saw this after I posted.

Can you get another doctor?

A therapist is still a good idea. If a therapist agrees with that HRT is useful than your doctor can't laugh.

Failing that...insist...but do some research so when you see him he knows you are serious.

GypsyKaren
01-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Any doctor who laughed at me for anything would be my ex-doctor in 5 seconds, get away from that idiot and find someone else!

Like Kerrianna said, hormones are not to be taken lightly and can be quite dangerous, they can really toast your liver among other things. I self medicate now, but I still have my GP do blood labs on a regular basis, I strongly suggest you start with the right doctor.

Karen Starlene :star:

AmberTG
01-10-2008, 08:40 PM
Like I said the last time this question was asked, find a different doctor, one that will take you seriously. You may not be able to get the prescriptions without seeing a shrink of some kind, preferrably with experience in gender related issues.
You need certain medical tests, mostly bloodwork, to establish your baseline health before you do anything. It's the only way to know how the drugs are affecting your liver and other organs after you begin hormone therapy. Even if you decide to go DIY, you still need to get these tests done before you start. Better safe then dead.
I started my hormones on a DIY basis myself, until I could get the necessary prescriptions, but I had my bloodwork done before I started, and I was also seeing a shrink before I started.

Stephenie S
01-10-2008, 09:09 PM
See hon? Don't try to go it alone.

The right first step in any case is to see a gender therapist. I did not consider even mentioning this to my PCP until I got my diagnosis from my gender therapist. He wrote to my doctor and also wrote to my endocrinologist recomending me for HRT. I am sure that without those letters and recomendations I too would have gotten nowhere.

I agree that a doctor who laughs at you is probably not the right doctor. He/she should have at least told you what WE have told you here. He/she was probably as nervous about this as you were and just wanted the subject dropped.

My PCP said, "Oh boy, I have never had a transexual patient before. This will be an adventure for the both of us". Was that cool, or what?

Get thee to a gender therapist, dear. This is a big step and you should do it right. There is much at stake.

Lovies,
Stephenie

Jenna1561
01-11-2008, 01:08 AM
I just want to echo what others have said.

* See a Gender Therapist

* See a doctor who doesn't laugh at you

* If you can't find a good doctor, then your therapist should be able to recommend a few

HRT causes serious changes to a body and your body needs to be routinely examined for possible harmful side effects.

Jenna

Sharon
01-11-2008, 02:00 PM
You don't have to have a GP involved. What you need is a gender therapist, who will verify that you are TG, and an endocrinologist, who will order the appropriate tests and prescribe the appropriate meds.

That said, get yourself another doctor, no matter what.

Jenna_whalen
01-11-2008, 03:06 PM
Ok, I am seeking out a Gender Theperest, I am haveing a hard time getting a referal, to do so. So I am trying to find a way around this delima? But thanks for the help.