PDA

View Full Version : At the Emergency Room

Krystenw
01-13-2008, 09:51 PM
I was on duty the other night in the ER when we had a guy come in today that was in a go cart wreck. When I went in to get him to CT his head and neck, I had to have him sign a form to give him IV contrast. He was hurting pretty badly and his wife asked if she could sign it for him. So I let her, No big deal.
When I started to push him over to x-ray the blanket that they had him covered with didn't quite cover his feet. I couldn't help but notice that his toenails were painted a bright red. I grabbed another blanket and covered him up a bit better and his wife looked at me and told me thanks.

Later in CT when I was starting his IV I could tell that he had shaved his arms and later found that he pretty much shaved everything else as well.

I didn't say anything to him, but I sure would have liked to.

Later one of the nurses asked some of the other nurses why a guy would want to do that and I told her to look it up in her nursing books under obsessive compulsive disorder. And then I told her at least it wasn't killing him like her smoking was killing her.

She said that it wasn't the same thing and turned and walked off. One of the other nurses said that she would rather date a guy that painted his nails then one that smoked.

I guess it's a pretty small world.

Priscilla Ann
01-13-2008, 09:55 PM
To me this just shows how different people are. We all have different things that do and don't bother us and lots of time it really just doesn't make good sense.

Nicole Erin
01-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Kristen, you should have showed the nurse YOUR toenails :heehee:

SIDE NOTE - I would rather date a smoker if I were dating cause at least she would not give me a hard time abotu it.

Krystenw
01-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Right, She would have loved that. Besides, mine are maroon.:heehee:

goofus
01-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Obsessive compulsive disorder? Say what? +?

Jilmac
01-13-2008, 10:38 PM
I don't know anybody who has died from wearing women's clothes or painting their toenails.

Jill

Niya W
01-13-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't know anybody who has died from wearing women's clothes or painting their toenails.

Jill

Know one that came close. Wife was pissed that she looked better than her. They went out to bar and men kept on hitting on her. Thought wife was going to kill some :)

susie evans
01-13-2008, 10:46 PM
you are very kind and i love your new avatar

:hugs: susie

MsToriJones
01-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Obsessive compulsive disorder? Say what? +?

hey it stopped them from bring "rude" to the man....none of you should be treated any different even if you show up to the hospital enfemme....ANY nurse that would treat you different needs to take a class on having class.

Niya W
01-13-2008, 11:14 PM
you would think that they have seen alot . BIg deal painted toe nails

jennydl
01-14-2008, 03:21 AM
I think I would have smiled and winked at the wife

Angie G
01-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Krysten Nice story I like your hair in your avatar hun. I think it makes you look younger :hugs:
Angie

Melinda G
01-14-2008, 12:21 PM

Maybe not, but it has been shown to cause extreme euphoria, and a sense of well being in those who practice it. :D

robin247
01-14-2008, 02:08 PM
Question is, was the wife more imbarrassed or the husband having to go to the hospital and having the staff notice his nails were painted and probably was wearing some lingerie.
It was nice of you to cover him up for the wifes sake but it sounds like the wife is very uncomfortable that her husband is a crossdresser, hope she can get over that.

StacyCD
01-14-2008, 03:49 PM
I have several close friends who work in the hospital and say that they see it all every day! Painted toes or a bra are really no big deal to them. I've been told that the patients are generally very worried out being 'outed' by their hospital visit but that in reality unless your neighbor is the classless nurse then you're probably more worried than necessary. Not to say that you won't be outed but I think it is more rare of an occurance than we fear.

Katrina
01-14-2008, 04:49 PM
It's funny...actually it's not...but I had to go to the ER two weekends ago. I took a few minutes before we left to remove the purple polish from my toes for the same reason. I ended up "staying" the weekend. I'm ok now, btw.

bEEb
01-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Well at least he wasn't wearing the dreaded "Dirty underwear"...
That my mother feared us kids might have on a visit to the ER .

Miss Petra
01-14-2008, 05:26 PM
My visit to the ER resulted in visibly stunning my old school Chinese fresh out of med school doctor who was female when she saw my painted toes. The doctor was the one that removed my socks checking for something I dont know what. Nurse came back and commented how much she loved my toes and asked where I had them done. I commented I did them myself! She was amazed at how smooth and shiny they were. I gave her some tips I learned here at the forum soak polish in ice water etc.. We ended up having a great conversation and showed her some pics of petra that I carry in my wallet. But I was there for Kidney stones so it did make the stay in the ER a little bit more bearable.
When the ER doc returned she came back with Socks for my feet which she had the nurse put on. After they were rolled me away on the gurney up to the hospital I got a subtle wink from the nurse I winked back and wiggled my now covered painted toes.

HUgz,

Petra

Melissa Cross
01-15-2008, 08:20 AM
I was recently in the hospital for surgery and numerous doctors, nurses, aides etc. obviously saw my shaved legs and arms (I didn't have any nail polish on). Only one person asked me about my shaved legs and that was a physical therapist. He asked me about it while we were discussing me being a bicycle rider.

Think about how many patients hospital employees see in a day or week. I'm sure they must have seen everything.

Melissa

TreKidation
01-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Even lacking the patient's name or other form of identity it is still inappropriate for any medical professional to discuss a case such as this on the internet or in any other form. I would never discuss my patients like this - especially regarding an otherwise highly sensitive issue.

All you need is for this person to be a member here, read your post and, trust me, find out what it's like to be called into the risk management office.

Lay off such future activity as this - for all us professionals.

cyle_elise
01-15-2008, 01:16 PM

Jill

I find it amazing that anyone in the health profession can bring themselves to smoke. That said, a lot of people are judgmental whackos, but I am of course preaching to the choir :)

bEEb
01-15-2008, 04:14 PM
discuss a case such as this on the internet or in any other form.
Golly... which is the liable infraction we're talkin here?
:rolleyes:
"Painted toenails"... or "dirty underwear"?
Besides Kristen... YOU DID modify significant details of this story to protect the innocent? Didn't you? :D

Tina Dixon
01-15-2008, 04:26 PM
Way to tell them, and hey how many wrestler on tv do you see with lots of body hair?

bgirl
01-15-2008, 04:36 PM
I went to the er a few years ago knowing that I would be admitted for emergency intestinal surgery. I got so sick so fast that the idea of taking the time to take off the paint on my toes wasn't so important at the time. I was pretty much out of it by the time I got there. Sure enough, after I woke up from surgery, I remembered that I had my toes painted and was relieved that they had put anti-embolism(?) socks on my legs and my toes weren't very visible unless you knew to look. The nurses and docters never said a word to me. None of my friends, family visitors never seen them. I worried about it some as I lived in a small town then, (3,000 people).

If they could live with it then so could I.

SiobhanW
01-15-2008, 05:53 PM
they had put anti-embolism(?) socks on my legs and my toes weren't very visible

That was very sweet of them, showing that much concern for your feelings.

BTW Krysten, let me also congratulate you on your new look (per your current avitar), it does make you look years younger!

loki_uk
01-15-2008, 07:21 PM

Jill

Unless they were painting they're toe nail whilst driving

Dawn Marie
01-15-2008, 08:18 PM
Some people are so judgemental about something that has nothing to do with them. Being differnt doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

teresa jeen
01-15-2008, 08:38 PM
so sorry mom, ididnt have on clean underwear, but i sure looked stunning in my red nails. the girls at the er said .oh yeah the nurse told me thank you for shaving my leg for her, it saved a little time for her. with a wink she was gone.

Jennifer Lynndon
01-15-2008, 10:12 PM
If you have an opportunity to talk to him in definite privacy, you might want to provide some support.
Think about it.
If you were definitely outed, and were laying there thinking about it, and someone came to you and offered some nice words of support, I'd bet you'd really appreciate it.

Krystenw
01-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for your compliments. My wife decided I needed a new hair style after a little old lady said something to me in line at WalMart about passing a bit better if I had a better wig.

In addition, I have been in the medical field for more then 40 years. I know all about the kind of fines that can be imposed by violating HIPAA regulations.

I don't believe I have violated any.

I'm just trying to say that because of those same rules, you don't need to worry too much about going to the ER while not in Drab. That it doesn't bother the majority of the medical folks and those that it does bother will get over it eventually.

:sorry:

ericalynncd
01-15-2008, 10:21 PM
funny but true story.. I once had a girlfriend who came over. She had noticed I had watermelon in the fridge, asked if she could have some. Sure I said, at that moment the watermelon fell and broke her big toe. 6hrs at the hospital, all the dr's laughed.

Joy Carter
01-15-2008, 11:16 PM
[QUOTE=Krystenw;1158149]Thanks to everyone for your compliments. My wife decided I needed a new hair style after a little old lady said something to me in line at WalMart about passing a bit better if I had a better wig.

I second the compliment Krysten. it makes you look younger.:D

I have been admitted twice in the ER and I was so sick, I didn't care who saw my under ware. I'm sure the nurses have seen about every thing.

ladyEileen
01-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Dear heart, I love your story and I feel that telling us about it can help should we have to visit the er/hosp.

Thanks and you look WONDERFUL xxx

rachellegsep
01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
Had an experience myself at ER. Was admitted to for an ECG had to remove my t'shirt to fit the electrodes. The shaved boobs and nipple rings must really have been a sight:o. One of the paramedics present even knows me (but has said nothing about it). Luckily no underdressing at the time. I could see the expressions on the nurses faces (a real Kodak moment) but nothing was said.

CassieJ
01-19-2008, 08:44 PM
I would think the crazy places people get pierced would be a bit more shocking than a shaved guy or a guy in panties. The people that we all fear making derogatory comments probably do the same for people dressed in goth styles, heavy piercings, purple hair, etc... It goes for anything that is out of "their" ordinary. Ignore it and be yourself. Let them be miserable conforming to some "normal" they restrict themselves to.

I am getting really bold now everywhere but work. I wear heels almost all the time, even in guy mode (except work) and am typing this in 5" stiletto boots, pink panties, green plaid flair skirt, sweater top, bra and black wig. I didn't take the time to do makeup as I am not going out. Just waiting for the wife to get home.

CJ

linnea
01-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Thank you, Krysten, for your account of this event and for sharing your new pic on your avatar. You look great!
I have worried that I will have an emergency some time when I'm out en femme, but I worry much less after reading these responses.

raleighbelle
01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
I told her to look it up in her nursing books under obsessive compulsive disorder. And then I told her at least it wasn't killing him like her smoking was killing her.

I'm not so sure I agree with your first comment about the OCD, but I fully agree with the second comment. In fact, I would have taken it a bit further - 'at least it wasn't hurting anyone else, like her smoking was to others around her.'

EelKat
01-20-2008, 04:16 AM

Jill

good point!

smoking sucks, esp for folks like me who are alergic to the smoke and can't go half the places in public I'd like to go, just because it causes an ashma attack to be in the same room with someone who has smoke smell on their breath or clothes.

Ammdi
01-20-2008, 12:36 PM
good point!

smoking sucks, esp for folks like me who are alergic to the smoke and can't go half the places in public I'd like to go, just because it causes an ashma attack to be in the same room with someone who has smoke smell on their breath or clothes.
I had that same problem, until this: http://www.startribune.com/local/11606746.html (http://www.startribune.com/local/11606746.html) so things are getting better, but so far, the bars still smell like smoke. I am very sensitive to it. So I just stay at home. It makes it rather hard to meet potential girlfriends. Also, they CANT be smokers, it makes it too hard to kiss them......

AND Kidneystones are the worst! But the hospital staff did not comment on my pantyhose!!!! :happy:

MsJoann
01-20-2008, 01:09 PM
It would have made me frustrated seeing that and not being able to say anything. Too bad you couldn't make contact with him.

Krystenw
01-27-2008, 09:42 PM
Since I live a long ways from nowhere, we don't often see folks after we ship them from our facility. Then because of all the federal regulations we seldom hear how they end up.
The wife sent a letter to the administrator telling him how happy they were with the service they received when her husband was brought into the ER.
She mentioned several folks by name and the CEO came around and thanked us all for the work we were doing.
It's amazing what a warm blanket can do.

TxKimberly
01-27-2008, 10:50 PM
. . . It's amazing what a warm blanket can do.

It's even more amazing what a kind person can do. Good job sis!

Cai
01-28-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm very surprised at that nurse. I can't believe someone in the medical profession would judge a patient like that. I've had friends who went in much weirder situations than shaved legs and painted toenails. Lots of athletes shave their legs, anyway!

I hope if the medical profession really is that close-minded I can help change things once I get there.

Seville
01-28-2008, 02:18 AM
They are just as bigoted as the general population.

My red fingernails create a bit of a stir among the nurses and
doctors, but after reading Lacy Leigh's books, Let 'em look!

I'm sure they do many things I don't approve of.

LisaElizabeth
01-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Hi all,
As a health professional in charge of HIPPA for my office, I can say that as far as I can see, there has not been a violation here on the message forum. You can't link the story to any one person. No personal helath information was divulged, their anonymity has been preserved.
That being said. I think the incident is interesting, since it had nothing to do with why they were at the hospital! It also shows that there are some truly caring people out there, along with the traditional set of complete fools!!
Huggs to all,
Lisa Elizabeth

Aeslyn
01-29-2008, 02:18 AM
I have several close friends who work in the hospital and say that they see it all every day! Painted toes or a bra are really no big deal to them. I've been told that the patients are generally very worried out being 'outed' by their hospital visit but that in reality unless your neighbor is the classless nurse then you're probably more worried than necessary. Not to say that you won't be outed but I think it is more rare of an occurance than we fear.

I can identify with this fear. I had my nails painted a beautiful metallic purple since the end of october (that's when i stop wearing sandles for the winter). I had an appointment for a physical coming up a couple of weeks ago and kept telling myself, "oh, they are professionals in very tolerant area of the city." Told myself that right up till the day of my appointment... the guess what.
I freaked cause I was out of nail polish remover and scraped and scraped.
Funniest part is... the doctor turned out to be quite nice, gay, and I swear I could see the imprint lines of lace on the but of his pants from lace panties.
Irony eh?