PDA

View Full Version : A small step for a girl, a giant leap for me

Christina Louise
01-14-2008, 10:43 AM
PLEASE - I APPRECIATE YOUR POSTINGS BUT I'M NO LONGER LOOKING FOR CLIP-ON EARRINGS. I GOT MY EARS PIERCED.

I hope you'll indulge me talking about a couple of things I did today. They're both very trivial for most of you girls but they are 2 small steps on a road to fulfillment for me, so I hope you don't find this too risible.

I'm toying with the idea of getting both ears pierced (from the forums here clip-on earrings would seem to be too painful to wear for any length of time) and I went to see how much that would cost at a beauty salon. It's obviously quite common for men to get their ears pierced these days, but can you imagine what it's like being in your 50s, going into that type of place for the first time, and asking the question out loud in front of several strangers? (I haven't yet committed myself to having it done)

The 2nd thing was buying pantyhose from a supermarket, though I cheated by using the self-service checkout. I was going to upload a photo of me wearing them just to prove it but I haven't got to the stage of shaving my legs yet and so the pictures are a bit too gruesome for public display. Tomorrow I will wear them under my jeans all day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

UPDATES:
posting #30 = ears now pierced
Also body hair removed.
And have bought heels when high st. shopping.

posting #42 = my 1st pic having bought my 1st blouse for 2 1/2 years

Farrah
01-14-2008, 10:49 AM
Go ahead and get those ears pierced girl. Congrats on your purchase. It is so exciting to go buy your own things. Whether the self check or a sales associate.

Kathy Renee
01-14-2008, 10:56 AM
Good for you Christina. Wasn't that fun. It gets better and better. Enjoy!

Dee Jay
01-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Clip ons aint so bad, the big problem is getting them these days.
Ear piercing is permanent, so not for me. Clip ons just leave a small dent.
As for the pain.... I kinda like it. Itr's not too bad and it's a constant remeinder that you have them on... It's still easy to forget you are wearing them... Don't ask me how I know ;)

As for buying stuff... yes the self serve is great. problem is that whenever I try to use self serve for anything girly, it goes wrong and the assistant has to come and put it right.
It never goes wrong when I'm just buying dof food... only girly stuff :)

As Farrah said, it's exciting buying your own stuff, no matter how you buy it.
I wish that I was brave enough to try stuff on in the shops. This way I'd avoid buying more than I need and then having to take most of it back later... Double the trouble :)

DJ

Christina Louise
01-14-2008, 11:23 AM
I've been having a look around the local shops for clip-ons but there don't seem to be any. Oodles of the other sort, which is why piercing is tempting.

Buying stuff... in 2005 I did go into high street stores and charity shops and bought some women's clothes, and felt guilty each time during that 2 weeks. But that was a long time ago and so it currently feels like starting from scratch, although the experience is invaluable. I'm currently losing weight before I start to dress so that the major shopping is still several weeks away.

Farrah
01-14-2008, 11:31 AM
I'm trying to lose weight as well, so I can look better dressed.

AmandaM
01-14-2008, 11:33 AM
Clip-ons can be adjusted, you can bend them a bit so they don't pinch so much. Try it on a cheap pair first. Just a little bit does a lot, so don't bend them too much at first.

Dee Jay
01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
I've been having a look around the local shops for clip-ons but there don't seem to be any. Oodles of the other sort, which is why piercing is tempting.

I've been having the same trouble with shoes and found loads of outlets online...
I just searched google for clip on earings and was amazed at the amount of retailers there are.
It's a shame that my wife isn't too keen on my having "accessories" :( I could spend a fortune... if I had one to spend :)

I'll stick with my one pair for now.

DJ

Lois1234
01-14-2008, 12:26 PM
I went in on my 50th birthday and got a femme haircut and both ears done (one hole in each) in a town with a population of 1400. It really wasn't that bad as all the girls were very polite. A very good friend (GG) even bought me a set of hoops for Christmas. I say go for it.

Lois

bonnielad
01-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Hi there,
Regarding piercing your ears. If there is a tattoo parlor in your town you might want to go there. It might be more expensive than a placea t a mall, but they are certainly more open to alternative lifestyles. I say go for it. Chances are, you're the only one worried about it though. The nylons are a tuff one. It sounds like you really WANT to have the check out person see you buying them. So I Nsay go for it. Be brave; you can do it and just think of the rush. Maybe you could go to a store away from fwehre you live the first time.

Sandra
01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Hair dressers also do ear piercings and most likely cheaper than a beauty salon.

Chances are, you're the only one worried about it though.

Yep I agree, they are not bothered who gets their ears done so long as they get your custom.

Have them done. :)

Deborah Jane
01-14-2008, 02:53 PM
You,re right "clip ons" are getting harder to find:( I,m thinking about getting my ears pierced too, but haven,t even asked about it yet. Go for it:thumbsup:

StacyCD
01-14-2008, 03:38 PM
Christina Louise,

I asked my SO if she would mind if I pierced my ears and she responded by giving a set of beautiful earrings for pierced ears! So at 52 I'm having my ears pierced (soon--had to wait to get back from family vacation). I've worn clip-ons for a loooong time. Certainly, there are a lot nicer earrings for pierced ears. Get your ears pierced, hardly anyone will notice!!!

Christina Louise
01-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Piercing is getting more tempting with each post. The price list from the salon has it at £15 (must be per ear) - do any UK girls think that that's about average? (wonder if they do 3 for the price of 2 lol).

Have worn the tights bought yesterday under my jeans all day so far and the crotch area of the jeans feels so cavernous that I keep checking that they haven't fallen down.

Also went into Superdrug to buy some nail polish, just simple red nail polish. The sweat was starting to appear on my brow as I entered the shop; 2 women were looking at the shelves opposite to those I wanted and, since the aisles are narrow, I had to wait a couple of minutes till they had gone; then, when I did get to look, there wasn't anything like what I wanted. So a quick exit having bought nothing. 5 minutes later I realised that I'd been looking at the nailcare items rather than the beauty items in the next aisle. What an idiiot!!! But I shall make amends tomorrow...

Odalisque23
01-15-2008, 09:02 AM
I was gonna suggest Claire's for clip-ons, but then realized that everyone complaining about not being able to find them was located in the UK. You probably don't have Claires, but maybe there is a similar sort of inexpensive chain-boutique there?

Re: piercing, oddly I was visiting with my mother over the holidays, and while toying with my hair, she asked if she could take me to get my ears pierced! (My mother knows nothing about my crossdressing) I didn't say "no"... still, I don't think it's for me, and clip-ons are plentiful 'round here.

There are a few websites that deal specially in clip-ons, too, like Cliptomania - http://www.cliptomania.com .

uknowhoo
01-15-2008, 09:03 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself, Christina. :hugs: It's okay- even normal, really- to be kinda freaked out at first. It gets just a lil bit easier each time. Before too long, you'll be shopping and paying the cashier with little or no angst. That's just the way it goes.

Oh, and you needn't apologize for wanting to share something like this. It's a big deal for you, and we're here to support each other, right?

In summation... it's all good! :hugs:

Good luck (and good nerve :D) in your quest to be free to be yourself.

xoxo

Tammi

JoanAz
01-15-2008, 10:09 AM
Once you have purchased something the next time it is easier,,,REMEMBER they are there to sell you things.
I just purchased 10 Leggs Sheer to the waist Q+,,they are hard to find sometimes...:happy:

Angie G
01-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Christina what are you waiting for I 59 Last year I got both ears pierced and love it the clip-on earring hurt my ears big time. Now I wear earring all the time. And buying hose is no big deal hun so relax and just do it. :hugs:
Angie

Chari
01-15-2008, 11:03 AM
It all gets easier with each outing and purchase! As your confidence grows, you will become more independent in your needs. When you decide to get your ears pierced, you will have to keep the studs clean and in your earlobes for about six weeks for a proper healing, but you will have more of a variety to choose from - clips and pierced! As for clothing, keep a list of what fits and you feel comfortable wearing. When you buy clothes to try on at home, get a receipt for an exchange or refund. Notice what GGs are wearing in your area and age group and try to copy them. Don't over dress, but try to blend in both with outfits and makeup. It all takes time and a lot of practice to get the right look!

Enjoy, Chari

Victoria Anne
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Christina I have two piercings in each ear and wear gold ball stud over diamond stud evryday with now comments from others and it will get easier to shop for your self so put your big girl panties on and go get those ears pierced you won't be sorry and just think how many more ear rings you'll have to choose from! oh I'm 47 so don't worry be happy have fun.

Patricia Johnson
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
Hey Christina, I hear your concern about the piercing, Hae you tried the magnetic earrings they sell at the mall. The look just like pierced earrings but they use a magnet to hold them in place. I would suggest trying those, they sell them at the mall where you would normally go to get your ears pierced and they allow you to try piercing before really trying peircing.

Sandra
01-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Piercing is getting more tempting with each post. The price list from the salon has it at £15 (must be per ear) - do any UK girls think that that's about average? (wonder if they do 3 for the price of 2 lol).

I don't think that is for each ear hun prices are usually for both dam expensive if it is Have you looked at Claire's they do piercing.

My SO paid £5.50 including the studs at our hairdressers, and the beauty salon we go to charges from £8 -£10 depending on whether you have plain or coloured studs

Jilmac
01-15-2008, 12:05 PM
I hope you'll indulge me talking about a couple of things I did today. They're both very trivial for most of you girls but they are 2 small steps on a road to fulfillment for me, so I hope you don't find this too risible.

I'm toying with the idea of getting both ears pierced (from the forums here clip-on earrings would seem to be too painful to wear for any length of time) and I went to see how much that would cost at a beauty salon. It's obviously quite common for men to get their ears pierced these days, but can you imagine what it's like being in your 50s, going into that type of place for the first time, and asking the question out loud in front of several strangers? (I haven't yet committed myself to having it done)

The 2nd thing was buying pantyhose from a supermarket, though I cheated by using the self-service checkout. I was going to upload a photo of me wearing them just to prove it but I haven't got to the stage of shaving my legs yet and so the pictures are a bit too gruesome for public display. Tomorrow I will wear them under my jeans all day.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Christina, I can see that you are taking baby steps, and that's just fine. there is no hurry for one to feminize ones self. I too am toying with the idea of having my ears pierced. Clip earringe can become uncomfortable over long periods of time and I have a large selection of pierced earrings which belonged to my wife. I don't know what is available in the UK but here in the States there are several options from which to choose.

There are the beauty shops which cater mostly to women. Some tatoo parlors also offer piercing. There are also jewelry kiosks in some of the major shopping malls which offer on the spot piercing. I intend to check all these options for price and quality. At this point in my life I am retired so I wouldn't have to answer a lot of questions about pierced ears in the building trades where I worked for over 40 years. Now I am a retired widower and free to do as I please.

The biggest problem I can see at this time is financial as I am living solely on Social Security and have to budget my money wisely. As for buying pantyhose, I get them at my favorite supermarket along with my groceries. I also buy cosmetics, lipstick, and other feminine items. There is no self service checkout at my store so I go through the regular checkout and they scan my feminine items along with everything else. That's enough about me. i wish you good luck on your decision to get your ears pierced. Luv and:hugs: Jill

Ruth
01-15-2008, 12:27 PM
It's funny because I've been thinking about ear piercing just recently, must be New Year resolution time. I've got just 3 pairs of clip-on ear-rings, and they are all reasonably comfortable, though I don't wear them all day.
But the appeal of piercing is that I could then wear ear-rings all the time, even if my regular day wear was not a feminine style.
I am in my fifties and a little worried about this step, but I think I'm going to do it.

PheonaP
01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
"Claires" is pretty much global now and there are a number of "Claires" shops in the UK. The UK website is http://www.claires.co.uk they have a whole page dedicated to ear piercing.
Go for it hun. :hugs:

Amy07
01-15-2008, 05:33 PM
As far as buying your own nylons, I remember the first time I did that at the store too. Went to a local drugstore (pharmacy), picked out a pair of suntan and black pantyhose in queen size. Paid for my purchase and left...what a great feeling! See you around the forums, Christina Louise!

StephanieH
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
:2c:I had my left ear pierced way back in the early 1980's when I was a rock star (ha!), had my other ear pierced a while back and my wife and younger daughter never batted an eye about it. My wife knows and is supportive, my daughter's too young so we're not going there - she just thinks I'm still trying to look like a rock star guy.

A word about Claire's, they generally use very small post studs to pierce the ears with, and they lead to trouble and get infected easily. Go somewhere else and get a thick post stud, it'll be a whole lot easier down the line. Stick with real gold or sterling posts until the holes are plenty healed up.

It's always fun buying your own things, congrats on taking that step, it opens up a whole pandora's box (literally) of fun, especially in lingerie departments! :D

Dawn Marie
01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
I first got mine pierced when I was 35 and now will probably have to get them done again seeing as they have closed on me. I'm now 53. Just go and do it you will enjoy the benefits. Just think of all the earrings you could be wearing. And every thing does get eaiser as you grow in your journey. Just keep taking those baby steps and soon you wiil be out and about.

Michellebej
01-16-2008, 12:29 AM
I get my earrings at Antique shops, Yardsales, and flea markets. You can find some absolutely lovely ones from the 30s and 40s!!!

Love

Michelle

Christina Louise
01-16-2008, 08:17 AM
Poole, Dorset
10:30am Wed 16th Jan
Had my ears pierced and here's the proof:-

60150 60151

(sorry about the picture quality - ever tried photo'ing your own ears???)

Went to Poole where there was a local branch of Claire's and went in just to ask how much. Was also told that it could be done straight away but I chickened out. Went for a walk around town for 1/2 hr just to clear my head (didn't notice any men with any ear adornment) but usually when I get the seed of an idea I just have to go through with it. So back to the shop to get it done. Didn't realise that you have to sit in a chair right in the middle of their shop window whilst they fill the forms, do the preparation and finally the piercing. But I stayed calm, chatted with the girls (though when asked why I wanted it done, I just said about it being a new year so time to try new things) and everything was fine. And, of course, no-one took the slightest bit of notice when I walked home.

Just to complete the shopping, immediately after the piercing I went into Boots and bought some nail polish - didn't try to hide it when going to the pay desk and just treated it like buying anthing else. And as a bonus went into a more local and smaller branch of Boots to buy the nail polish remover that I forgot 1st time.

Update a few hours later: have now painted my toenails, they look so sweet.

Christina Louise
01-25-2008, 09:03 AM
This post was not appropriate for this thread

Cara Allen
01-25-2008, 09:47 AM
As for buying stuff... yes the self serve is great. problem is that whenever I try to use self serve for anything girly, it goes wrong and the assistant has to come and put it right.
It never goes wrong when I'm just buying dof food... only girly stuff :)
DJ

That's sooo true! I found this really awesome pair of casual pennyloafer 4 inch heeled black pumps (ON SALE!) at the local superstore, Meijers. Bless them for stocking bigger sizes. Anyway, I am all set, and head for the self serve... I also picked up some mascara. I scan the mascara, no prob...but the pumps wouldn't scan. After a sec, I asked for help... Im pretty much over the nervousness when someone sees that I am a guy buying some femme thing, and it's actually fun to watch the recognition on their faces...

Anyway, the lady found the right scan bar (I didn't see it..it was inside the box,) I thanked her, paid, and was on my way.

My point is (and I always get there, eventually) I wanted those pumps!!! I would much rather have them, than not have them and sulking out of the store feeling depressed. We need to shop, and the clerk is just an employee who sees this stiuff all the time. We are lots more pleasant than many of their lady customers. We are glad to be able to shop!!!

Merry
01-25-2008, 09:56 AM
Christina, Go ahead, don't worry that!!:hugs:

Teresapantyhose
01-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Can be very nerve-wracking. I haven't gotten to the point of the piercings yet but have bought alot of pantyhose and tights over the years. Don't even sweat it!! You'll know it's great after you shave your legs and put them on - you'll have a hard time going back to the old way.

JoAnnDallas
01-25-2008, 10:19 AM
I mention once about getting my ears pierced and behold to my azmasment my wife offered to pierce my ears for me. I declined at that time, but vacation is coming up next month, so thinking of seeing if she is still willing and having her do them the evening before we leave.

Christina Louise
01-25-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm due for a bit of fun on 1st Feb - now that I've got rid of all my body hair and also keep my toenails painted, both for the first time in my life, I've been told to turn up for a medical to do with the state benefits I receive.

Now, should I underdress with panthose as I have been doing? and should I buy some new silk panties just for the occasion? :laughing:

Nicki B
01-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Clip ons just leave a small dent.
As for the pain.... I kinda like it.

Honey, you're definitely not doing it right... :hmmm:

NatalieBliss
01-25-2008, 01:25 PM
It's always great to hear that others are making progress on the road to happiness. For the record I don't think self-check outs are cheating. Dealing with a cashier can sure be a rush though. :D

Here's to the small steps that lead to bigger ones! :drink:

Sabrina Flowers
01-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Hi Christina. well done on getting your ear pierced, I was going to say that Claires is a great place to get clip-on earings, but you beat me to it by getting them peirced. I bought most of my clip-ons and other jewllery from Claires and BHS and must have about 30 pairs.
Buying the tights and fem underware can be a bit nerving, but I have bought them from Marks and Spencer, BHS and other stores with no problem. Gives me a bit of a confidence boost.

bgirl
01-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I am 57. Have both ears pierced and always wear rings in my years, I have had my 1" hoops in for the last couple of weeks. I have noticed a trend in my area for men of middle age to start wearing both ears pierced. Usually they have studs but I seen a few others beside myself sporting hoops.

Would you believe I dont like to wear my male hoops when I present female?
When I am a girl I want to be a girl!!

Rachel Morley
01-25-2008, 08:41 PM
We've all been there Christina. Every journey starts with a first step. Keep slowly pushing your envelope and before you know it you'll be buying pantyhose en femme .... (like in perhaps 6 months time? ... or even less!) :happy:

Christina Louise
01-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Despite a bad experience from a young shop assistant in another shop, I did buy a blouse today just to get an idea of my current size - this is my first clothing purchase (other than pantyhose) for 2 1/2 years. This is also the very first time that I have posted any picture of myself dressed to any extent at all.

I've been feeling a bit down the last couple of days and wearing it reminded me why i like CDing. The bead necklaces were purchased on the same shopping trip.

Kales
01-29-2008, 05:55 PM
You mentioned self checkout.. I love using self checkout... lets me purchase items with less conflict. Just in case I put myself in the state of mind that its for a gift and accept that others would likely think the same ;)

Congrats though. I admit after reading the piercing thread I really want to get mine pierced also... I have been considering it a lot.

ronna
01-29-2008, 06:18 PM
Christina-Louise,
here's my advice (then I'll be looking for some myself):

I buy all my clip on earrings from www.cliptomania.com
They have fabulous styles and I have been satisfied with all my purchases.

I have one pierced ear, my wife did it for me 32 years ago. Back then guys didn't wear two earrings like they do now. I don't wear one but now I think I need the other one pierced to match. I don't think she would do the other one.

Nylons, well, just buy pantyhose at the drugstore for a few dollars, fancier ones from www.stockingirl.com.

You can't lose!

charlie
01-29-2008, 06:29 PM
I found clip on earrings on ebay for 5.95 + 3.50 shipping for 12 pairs. They also included 2 free pair. All colors and different shapes! The magnetic earrings sound like a good idea though. I will have to check them out.

Christina Louise
02-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Apologies for this being effectively a blog...

Last night (Weds 6th Feb) I went to a monthly get-together of CDs, partners and admirers - my first time. I was in drab (of course) but when one of the girls came to the bar I got the nerve up to offer to buy her the drink explaining that my motive was to do with me being very closeted. The closet door was thrown wide open because she invited me to come to the tables where the other girls were sat, and I spent the rest of the evening (approx 5hrs) chatting.

It was wonderful and the girls were so friendly considering that I was a complete stranger. I want to go each time from now on and it currently seems inevitable that next time I will have to dress, which will be my first time in company as well as out and about.

Feeling so happy... :D