PDA

View Full Version : Mumbai India - experiances dressed?

mala
01-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi,

I am going to Mumbai on business and will have some spare time at the weekend and was thinking of going to a shopping mall/entertainment centre dressed as Mala.

Has anyone any experiances/input on going out in India. I am a v tall western women and will be wearing jeans or black combats with a t shirt or smart top. No OTT glam wear but I do not pass as a women although imho have a smart elegant look with long aubern hair which I wear up as well as down.

Thought it would be fun to go out en femme but am not fully switched into local customs re us special trans girls.

Love and hugs,

Mala xxxx

StacyCD
01-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Most of the time I don't care if someone sees me as a guy in a dress--I don't know them and I really don't care. However, India is a different and certainly less accepting country. I'd be very wary unless a lot of others have first-hand experience.

VtVicky
01-14-2008, 09:29 PM
...be very careful.

I've traveled a bit around the world, and except for Thailand, I would never crossdress in a third world country. There are places in this world that will execute you for crossdressing. I have no personal experience in India, so you may be OK. But, I would do a lot of research if I were you. Always remember that the status of women around the world varies dramatically between, and within, countries. And, if you think women are treated badly, you can imagine how the transgendered are treated.

But, regardless of which gender you choose to portray, the key to staying safe while traveling anywhere in the world is to not stand out. Your size and coloring will pretty much identify you as not local. So, I would dress as conservatrively as possible. (and in India I dont think that would include t-shirts unless you are under 30.) In any case I would recommend you save your crossdressing experimentation for a more familiar environment.

If you want to play with the CD experience while there, try shopping. Write down your sizes on a card and go shopping for women's clothes. When the inevitable: "Can I help you, Sahib?", comes up, refer to your card and ask for help for your "wife/girlfriend". If you are going to be there for more than a week or so, consider choosing material and a pattern, and having something made to fit your "wife's" measurements. They can do it very quickly, and cheaply, although not always very well made without a fitting..

Good luck.

chrissietoo
01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I would say the same to any woman in India...dress conservatively--it's a very (repressed) sexually conservative society, and it's prudent and kind to respect that.

When I was in India (for a year) I often wore a sari when alone. They are the most beautiful and feminine dress in the world! Consider wearing one.

There is a cd community in the city there, somewhat exploited and on the fringes, but also increasingly powerful and self-aware. I would make some inquires, perhaps find a club or meeting place, and meet some of the local girls.

They are wonderful and friendly, and might take you shopping or to a beauty parlor. Indian women are be sooooo soft and sweet and femme--and can pamper like no others! If one of the girls would take you to a friendly place, you surely fall in love with the woman inside you.

In a colorful city and with a strong TG community, it would be a missed opportunity not to connect with the awesomely beautiful and friendly girls there!

:hugs: chrissie

Sonia_cd
01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
...be very careful.

I've traveled a bit around the world, and except for Thailand, I would never crossdress in a third world country.

Good luck.

This may be a little OT, but it must be said. I am Indian and I resent the implication that India is a "third world country". Exaclty what constitutes "third world" to you? And exactly what do you mean by referring to India as such? And as crossdressers, I thought we would be more sensitive to using labels than most other people.

As for dressing in India, the concept of a third gender (eunuchs/hijras) is accepted and acknowledged. The concept of crossdressing is a more of an urban phenomenon and while you will get strange looks, a few lewd remarks, lots of laughs perhaps, you are not liable to be arrested. Having said that, I would not recommend it, especially if you are visiting the country. Safety of women is an issue we are fighting with right now and being a foreigner does not make you immune to risk. Unless you are in a group, please do not venture out. Pros vs. Cons, risk analysis, call it what you will, I strongly advice you to do that before you make you final decision.

Hugs,
Sonia

VtVicky
01-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Sonia, I did not intend for the "third world" reference to be prejorative.

Webster's New World Dictionary defines "Third World" as: "those countries and teritrories, chiefly of Africa and Asia, once thought of as being outside the worlds, or spheres of influence, of the Western capitalist nations and the Soviet bloc."

That aside, we do seem to have arrived at the same advice.

And, isn't it great that this forum has such an international reach that we can have these discussions with real time, on the ground, input.

docrobbysherry
01-15-2008, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't wear hose and a bra under my drabs during my days out. Because someone may see up my pants or down my shirt, when I have forgotten I'm wearing them. And u want to traipse around in drag overseas? I have traveled around the world many times and I think U should get some kind of award. Not sure if it's the award for naivety or bravery tho.
RS

chrissietoo
01-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Recently I read an article, or something, about a TG talk show host who's kind of the Oprah of India. I can't find the reference...anybody know?

Sonia_cd
01-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Recently I read an article, or something, about a TG talk show host who's kind of the Oprah of India. I can't find the reference...anybody know?

I think you refer to Begum Nawazish Ali. Although she has just kicked off her talk show in India, she is from Pakistan and has hosted her talk show there for quite a while now.

Violetgray
01-16-2008, 12:33 AM
Begum Nawazish Ali is Great! I love her and what she does, even though she is staunchly anti-American..

mala
01-16-2008, 03:52 AM
Thank you for all your input, it was exactly the kind of advise I was looking for. I hear very loudly the elements of risk and being as risk adverse as possible when traveling, I will keep Mala at home until I return.

Thanks again,

Love and hugs,

Mala xx

chrissietoo
01-16-2008, 09:03 AM
..... I will keep Mala at home until I return.

Thanks again,

Love and hugs,

Mala xx

Oh, let her come!!! Just keep her under wraps a little! :hugs:

Chrissie

JoAnnDallas
01-16-2008, 09:57 AM
Crossdressing in Japan is popular. They even have a Television show.

dianarg
01-16-2008, 10:10 AM
However, India is a different and certainly less accepting country. I'd be very wary unless a lot of others have first-hand experience.

I wouldn't be so sure as that, India seems to be very open, perhaps not like the us, but open nevertheless. Do some research, I guess it depends a lot on the city you are going to.