PDA

View Full Version : long haired freaky-kind of people need not apply

sandra-leigh
01-14-2008, 10:52 PM
This afternoon while I was getting some fast food, there was a woman who seemed to be looking over at me an unusual amount, and some how or other she was often in my way, stepping into the same space I was planning to step into several times (the opposite direction from where most people would have turned.) And she's looking over at me in my long (male) coat, and looking over at me, and all she can really see of me is my head and (straight) hair.

And I said to myself, "Oh great, she sees how long my hair is, and she's staring at me because I'm a cross-dresser!"

And then she turns to me and excuses herself, and asks me whether I am a musician (no, not even slightly), explaining that I look a lot like someone she's seen before. (I'm pretty sure I've never seen her before, the nose piercing was distinctive). At which point I said to myself, "Oh great, just what I need, a groupie! :eek: "

But it goes to show you: even when people are looking hard at us, cross-dressing might be the last thing on their mind. We get oversensitive or even paranoid sometimes!

The incident also reminded me of a movie I was watching last night, "Calle 54", a lovely documentary about Latin Jazz. In one of the performances,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0R7ZAGb6P0
the drummer (unquestionably male) has lovely thick shoulder-length hair with a bit of a wave to it; when I saw a quick peak of it from behind, I temporarily forgot the rest of what I had just seen and said to myself, "That has got to be a woman!" But it wasn't, it was just a guy with great hair, which looked very natural on him.

In turn, seeing him reminded me of some performances I have seen, such as Nana Mouskouri's tours, in which one or two of the greek musicians had somewhat similar shoulder-length hair.

So it would seem that it is socially acceptable to have below-the shoulder hair, even in what we would think of as traditionally very macho cultures -- at least if you are a musician!

vikki2020
01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Well, that title caught my eye---that song was like our anthem "back in the day". I don't think long hair on men ever completely went out of style.We all had long hair as teens,and around here, it's a pretty common sight,always has been.Not to much on us "older hippies", but the freak flag still flies!:happy:

Jilmac
01-15-2008, 12:15 AM
I guess it really doesn't matter who the person is, or what he/she does for a job. I once had a probation officer (a guy) with hair down to the middle of his back. So I guess if it doesn't interfere with anything or offend anyone, the length of a persons hair is a matter of personal preferance. Jill

sandra-leigh
01-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Well, that title caught my eye---that song was like our anthem "back in the day".

LOL. Well, you can tell what was on the radio when I was young and impressionable :heehee:

Angie G
01-15-2008, 01:18 AM
Now my hair is on my shoulders but back in the 70's it was was longer :hugs:
Angie

Odalisque23
01-15-2008, 01:54 AM
But it goes to show you: even when people are looking hard at us, cross-dressing might be the last thing on their mind. We get oversensitive or even paranoid sometimes!

Really good point. Although my crossdressing isn't in itself what has made me so overly self-conscious... I've always been a freak on some level, and growing up in a small conservative town definitely hardened me to antagonism. Oddly, in those days I had to grow my hair down to my shoulders to fit in!

sandra-leigh
01-15-2008, 02:18 AM
o I guess if it doesn't interfere with anything or offend anyone, the length of a persons hair is a matter of personal preferance.

It would be interested to turn that around and ask:

Have people here experienced job difficulties from management/ supervisors because of their hair length? Other than for realistic safety reasons, that is. If so, about how long ago was that? How about serious flack from co-workers (e.g., being called names because of the length of your hair) ?

I cannot recall now whether any of my supervisors ever said anything about my hair. Possibly when I worked for a "management consultant" firm about 25 years ago -- the sort of firm that required that men always wear suits and ties because of the image of professionalism it projected to the customers. (I did get a natter or four over my clip-on tie, or over not being suit-y enough.) It hasn't mattered for my jobs since then.

Lilith Moon
01-15-2008, 08:19 AM
And then she turns to me and excuses herself, and asks me whether I am a musician (no, not even slightly)

That reminds me of a recent occasion when I was out having a beer with my daughter. A group of guys watched us come in and order...I knew they were especially interested in me and I do occasionally get "the look" in drab mode because of my shoulder length, but thinning hair.

Eventually, one of them came over and asked..."Sorry about staring but we placed bets when you came in. It is a little game we play. My mates think you are a musical conductor, I reckon you are in IT. Would you mind telling us what you do ?"

I told him (IT) and he offered to buy me a beer from his winnings. :D

But I am learning to play keyboard...

JoAnnDallas
01-15-2008, 09:20 AM
I remember years ago, before either my brother-in-law or I got married an incident happen. We have been friend since high school. Anyway, one weekend we were at a night club and he kept eyeing this person with lovely long blonde hair. Finially he said he was going to ask her to dance. When he tapped her on the shoulder and she turned to face him, here was a GUY with a blonde mustach looking back at him. My brother-in-law excused himself and came back and sat down. I could not contain myself. I had to laugh, which made him mad at me, but at the time I did not care.

Kali
01-15-2008, 10:09 AM
I have long hair, but the most common comment I get is "Wow. What kind of Harley do you ride?"

Cheyenne Skye
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
LOL. Well, you can tell what was on the radio when I was young and impressionable :heehee:

Now was that the original Five Man Electrical Band or the Tesla re-make from the early nineties?

KatieC
01-15-2008, 03:05 PM
So it would seem that it is socially acceptable to have below-the shoulder hair, even in what we would think of as traditionally very macho cultures -- at least if you are a musician!

Or if you're a programmer like I am: Past shoulder length, more-gray-than-black hair, and no one ever bats an eye because I'm a software engineer. :heehee:

trannie T
01-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I had short hair (my supervisors usually thought it was too long) all through my working career. After retirement it has grown, now I have a ponytail. It is a lot of work when I get dressed covering it all up with a wig.

pamela_a
01-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Now was that the original Five Man Electrical Band or the Tesla re-make from the early nineties?

90's??? Tesla died in 1943. Besides, what does electricity and magnetism have to do with the song? :D (yea, I know, I'm old)

And it's "long haired, hippy type, freaky people need not apply" for those who might not remember.

:hugs:

-Paula-

Lisa Golightly
01-16-2008, 03:57 AM
I tend to hope that they're thinking 'shaggable'. :)

Kali
01-16-2008, 08:32 AM
http://www.fivemanelectricalband.ca/signslyrics.html

V1
And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you
woah!

Chorus:

Sign Sign everywhere a sign
Blocking out the scenery breaking my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

V2
And the sign said anybody caught trespassing would be shot on sight
So I jumped on the fence and yelled at the house, Hey! what gives you the right
To put up a fence to keep me out or to keep mother nature in
If God was here, he'd tell you to your face, man you're some kinda sinner

Repeat Chorus:

Bridge:

Now, hey you Mister! can't you read, you got to have a shirt and tie to get a seat
You can't even watch, no you can't eat, you ain't suppose to be here
Sign said you got to have a membership card to get inside Uh!

V3
And the sign said everybody welcome, come in, kneel down and pray
But when they passed around the plate at the end of it all,
I didn't have a penny to pay, so I got me a pen and a paper and I made up my own little sign
I said thank you Lord for thinking about me, I'm alive and doing fine

© 1970, 2002 Five Man Electrical Band

sandra-leigh
01-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Or if you're a programmer like I am:

That's my excuse too.

Besides, somewhere or other, I have a badge/pin that says,

"I am an artist. Your rules don't apply to me."

Wendy me
01-16-2008, 01:47 PM
And I said to myself, "Oh great, she sees how long my hair is, and she's staring at me because I'm a cross-dresser!"

you know i meet people every day some times with mixed results mostly good .. my hair is 3/4 of the way down my back .... never once did i think that i might be read because of my hair ....

lol i am me thats who i am and i am a people person be confident in who you are and just a bit chatty and you will be surprised in who you might be talking to.....

Dawn Marie
01-16-2008, 03:18 PM
This was me back in the 70's. In drab mode of course.

sandra-leigh
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
my hair is 3/4 of the way down my back .... never once did i think that i might be read because of my hair ....

And I don't normally think/worry about being read by strangers -- I've done the "guy in a skirt" and "guy in a dress" bit several times, and worn noticable forms in drab many times. But when someone is standing there looking at you and looking at you, you react rather than thinking clearly about the situation calmly.