PDA

View Full Version : Pondering on academia being accepting

bi_weird
01-15-2008, 09:34 PM
It amazes me really. A year and a half ago I lived female full time. I wore girls clothes and had long hair which everyone wanted to play with. Yeah, I was more competitive than most girls, but people mostly ignored that. Today I wandered campus well aware that half the people I saw didn't know if I was a guy or a girl, and a decent portion of the rest were reading me as male. The really amazing thing is that I've never had a serious negative experience related to this transition. Never had someone call me "it", or harass me for presenting the way I do. Just a few friends implying that maybe I should dress more femme, or that I shouldn't cut my hair.
Now there's a lot of reasons, I know. First of all, it took me a year and a half to get this far - that's a long time for people to adjust during. I also moved halfway through, so no one has known me throughout the whole process. Then there's the fact that I switch hit, and wear girl's clothes some of the time.
But I can't believe that that's enough. I really expected to get comments today. Maybe they'll come. But I think part of it is that I live on a college campus, and odd things just slide there. Among undergrads, nonconformity is accepted and even encouraged. Among grads and professors, people really honestly are so spacey that they don't notice a lot of odd things.
Does anyone else feel this way? That colleges are the safest places to transition, because people have better things to do than harass each other? Or have I just been really luck so far. I dunno, whatever it is I'm glad. Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else had thoughts about this.

Taylor105
01-16-2008, 11:22 AM
I hear ya. I was wondering the same thing about colleges. I have never lived in a dorm so I don't really know what it would be like. But I live five minutes from Auburn University and love to hang out in their gi-normous library. People seem to accept me as a guy like it's no big deal. In my opinion people in colleges are just more open-minded these days. And that's a good thing. Just be you and the rest will fall into place. You're a great guy. And I know several guys who are transitioning in college right now and it seems to be going really well for them too.

Mariah
01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Don't know yet, kind of afraid to push the boundry here at my college. dang hillbilly state. but I do basicly wear all fem stuff anymore don't have mainy male cloths left *^_^*
(sorry if this was just for the men here.)

keris

Leo Lane
01-23-2008, 01:17 AM
Among grads and professors, people really honestly are so spacey that they don't notice a lot of odd things.

That's academics for you!

(Signed)

The King of Academic Spaciness

Drake
01-23-2008, 08:25 AM
Yeah! My college is really accepting too! Next year I'm gonna start wearing more guy clothes. I doubt they'd care. (Besides, the whole music department is known for being "weird" so it shouldn't be a problem.) :)

Felix
01-23-2008, 09:54 AM
Well I think definitely yes!!!!!!! I was at University during my middle thirties and I came out while I was there. It was like Utopia for me a safe have where anything goes. Nobody cares you can be totally yourself co who gives a dam!!! I really miss it now at this time when I'm going through all these changes in my life. When I left University I was so scared in the real world and an out lesbian. I was lucky then cos I had someone who loved and cared for me she was my strength and nothing bothered me. Now although my friends are superb it weired to explain but its not the same as having that someone special in terms of a partner. So yeah ya definitely in the right place xx Felix :hugs: