PDA

View Full Version : Women & Compliments

Serena
01-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Do women more tend to like compliments from guys, about hair or nails, or just think it's weird and give us that "look"? I often will get compliments about my hair or anything else, whether girlish or not. When I was at the bowling alley the other night, the lady serving my drinks complimented me in some way (don't remember what) and she had these beautfiul fake nails in that I loved. I often notice those things about women but I usually don't say anything. But I just wanted to tell her that her nails were really pretty, but I kept debating between myself if I should or not, afraid of what she would think and the looks from people around me. What do you ladies think?

By the way, I am talking about being in guy mode.

Carrie
01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Miss Serena,

I love to receive compliments from guys or girls and I'm not afraid or embarrassed to compliment them either.

My theory is: treat others as you would like to be treated.

~C

MJ
01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
i could never complement a gg on her look while in drab .. it's kind of odd saying stuff like :- hi i love your nails , or omg i love that dress / suite / skirt /top .. or those are great shoes . guys just don't say that . and then i was afraid she may find out i like to dress up too .. just admire her from a far and dream i could be her ..

linnea
01-21-2008, 09:51 PM
i could never complement a gg on her look while in drab .. it's kind of odd saying stuff like :- hi i love your nails , or omg i love that dress / suite / skirt /top .. or those are great shoes . guys just don't say that . and then i was afraid she may find out i like to dress up too .. just admire her from a far and dream i could be her ..

While I agree that "guys just don't say [such things]," I have found that I feel comfortable, in male or female mode, complimenting GGs on an outfit or other aspects of their appearance if I know them pretty well. I probably wouldn't compliment a restaurant server or some other person whom I had very little knowledge of or acquaintance with.
When, in drab, I have complimented women, I have gotten very nice responses.

Stormgirl
01-21-2008, 09:58 PM
I'd never compliment a woman ever.

Nicole Erin
01-21-2008, 10:26 PM
If I know the woman I might say something nice like that but never to a stranger. Some people just don't take compliments well cause maybe they are so used to being put down that they don't know how to react to nice words.

Jenna1561
01-21-2008, 10:34 PM
I used to be much like everyone else and did not ever compliment women. But I am making more of an effort to do just that, whether I'm enfemme or drab. I was in a Target last week in boy mode, having just had to purchase a new suit for a funeral, and the slaes clerk at the register had gorgeous hair in varying shades of red. I know I can't do it justice in words, but it was very appealing. So I got my confidence up and told her that I thought her hair color and style was very striking.

She gave me a great big smile, said thank you, then admitted that it was a mistake and she'd been trying for something different, but this was the result. I told her mistake or not it's very striking and really looked good on her. We chatted a bit more as she finished ringing up my purchases.

I felt good for complimenting her and making her smile and I'm pretty certain she felt a bit happier after I left.

Don't be afraid to compliment anyone - it'll make your day and probably theirs also.

Jenna

Mitzi
01-21-2008, 10:57 PM
I compliment ladies if I think they look nice. Recently told a young lady (a stranger) how pretty her eyes were. She was startled momentarily, then smiled prettily and thanked me. Mostly they smile and say thank you, occasionally they'll say I made their day. They probably get compliments on whatever caught my eye, and may be flattered a guy would notice.

But we older guys generally don't seem to be as self conscious about complimenting ladies.

But I never say anything about shoes, no matter how sexy/pretty...somehow that feels like I'm giving myself away.

Mitzi

Genifer Teal
01-21-2008, 11:02 PM
I recently complimented a woman at work for a certain perfume she was wearing. I even mentioned it by name. She was impressed. I could tell she appreciated the compliment - especially coming from a guy. I think perfume is something women hope guys will like. As for explaining how I knew it I simply said a past girl friend wore it and I liked it so I remembered it.

Actually I almost bought it for myself so I was quite familiar with it. There are about 4 fragrances I can identify by scent. I've owned 3 of them. I just pegged a boss at work to be wearing another I know. I haven't found the right chance to compliment her on it.

I think any compliment to a woman is great. I know how they make me feel. I'd love to make someone else feel good too.

Gen

JaytoJillian
01-21-2008, 11:12 PM
I tend to be less specific when in boy mode. Most women seem surprised if a guy just notices something different, or admires a certain color. In my opinion, getting too specific can spell trouble for a guy in the workplace, so I tend to keep it generic, unless I have a personal relationship with the individual to whom I'm paying the compliment .

Jill

Brenda1423
01-21-2008, 11:16 PM
I've complimented women of all ages about all kinds of things, hair, dress, nails, perfume, and had never had a poor reaction. They all were happy to know someone noticed.

Megan70
01-21-2008, 11:21 PM
I have never had a time while I was in drab and complimenting a woman on anything that she didn't gush with joy and appreciation. They love it. One time I was leaving an office building and a young woman receptionist was behind the lobby counter with the most terrifically made up eyes , with shadows and liners mascara etc, that I'd ever seen. I couldn't let it go unmentioned to her since I am a makeup freak, so i though " how do i pull off complimenting her eyes without seeming to know too much from experience?. I told her I used to be a professional make up artist for CBS in NYC for 3 daytime soap opera for ten years.
She blushed and ate it right up.

Stacye Rose
01-21-2008, 11:44 PM
I compliment both men and women on anything about their appearance I find nice looking. I've always been free complimenting omen on their hairstyle, haircolor, nails, clothes, and/or shoes. At some point I determined it was sexist only to compliment women on their appearance. To counter this I began to compliment men on ties, haircuts, shirt colors, and the like. I very rarely have any negative feedback from anyone to whom I offer a compliment.

Everyone likes to be noticed in a positive way. By offering compliments in this way I've started many conversations, learned a great deal from many people, and made some very good friends.

just my:2c:

MsToriJones
01-22-2008, 01:06 AM
I like compliments from either men or women.

Now one way to do it so as not to say "hey I am cd" or "I am gay" (or make them think either right or wrong) is to try changing how you say it

Your nails look lovely
Your nails make your hands more beautiful
your hair compliments your face
that dress looks fab on you (even though you know you want to wear it)
those shoes make your feet look sexy
the color of that top really sets your eyes off, it is beautiful

Things along those lines. you compliment what you like in a way that is "society accepted"

But if you are in Raleigh and see me about, say it how you feel ;)

Kate Simmons
01-22-2008, 01:14 AM
I never hesitate to issue a compliment to anyone. Ladies (of all types) love it. With guys, I'm a little more tactful and usually do it in the form of a question like:"Hey, did you get a new haircut? It looks good." They feel less self conscious that way but the point is made that I did notice.:happy:

chrissietoo
01-22-2008, 01:43 AM
Well, if I'm in the right mood, with a pure heart, I'll say about anything! Sometimes eyes, or a smile, or just a way of being, and if I'm enthralled, and can say it without being creepy, I'll give a compliment.

I remark on the looks and dress of girls at work all the time. We're architects and fashion conscious, so that's a good excuse. I've shown enough interest that I get included in girly discussions.

I'll also remark on clothes or jewelry of other women, too. I find it exciting, and sometimes I can see they find it enticing, perhaps wondering, "Hmmm, he really seems to be so VERY appreciative!"

xoxo chrissie

Jennaie
01-22-2008, 01:48 AM
As a dresser I am very much aware how much effort it takes to look nice as a female. I don't miss a chance to compliment a woman when I see that she has taken an extra effort to look nice.

I always see the blush, but I know the compliment made her happy.

Today, I went into the store and the girl at the counter said to the other girl, (this is the man that always makes me feel pretty).

Phyliss
01-22-2008, 04:35 AM
Time was, I'd put off any compliment I might get, sorta turn it into a negative. "Nice suit" ..."Oh, must be that I just got it back from the cleaners"
Always had to add some sort of excuse. Now, it's more like, "Nice suit" ... "Thanks" Took a very long time to simply take the comnpliment and enjoy it.
As for giving out compliments... I do that quite often, lately. Really a load of fun. Noting a nice set of nails on a woman I will make a comment about how nice they look. Or make a complimentary remark about their eyes and how nice they are.
The reaction of people when they get unexpected positive feedback for their own efforts at looking nice is a nice thing to see. A bit of fun sometimes at seeing a young lady blush at the thought of some "old geezer" like me being able to appreciate what they've done.

AmandaM
01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Just tell her she cleans up real nice. :eek:

Lisa Golightly
01-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Don't know... A male compliment tends to go... 'Your hair looks good'... so I reply 'Thanks'... and then comes the 'blind' line... 'Yeah, less frizzy than usual'. (Pass the frying pan).

crunchysoda
01-22-2008, 04:40 PM

I agree w/MJ, about it being "weird" for a "guy" commenting on something so specific as nails, shoes, or skirt/top.
If it was something general like "you look really great tonight", THAT is different.

From another GG the specific compliments would be "normal". I think it's about "relating", I dont relate to a guy in that way and it would seem weird to me, "Why is he so interested in my black mary jane pumps??" , "errr ok thanks!?", the "average" guy just isnt into women's shoes at all. They are more likely looking at my boobs or ass than my shoes.

But it's whatever you are comfortable expressing you know?

Brenda1423
01-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Jill and John were driving down the road and John swerved slightly to go past a pretty blonde jogging.

Jill said, "Did you see her?"

"Well, yeah." Said John.

"That really gets me.

I've never understood that about women.

She was wearing a necklace, two bracelets, hoop earrings, her nails were freshly polished with Salerno Mavala nail polish, she'd recently spritzed Chanel behind her ears, and she was wearing Yves Saint Laurent lip gloss!" Jill said.

"You noticed all that?" asked John.

"Yes I did. You didn't?" replied Jill.

John said, "Not exactly. All I noticed was that she had legs all the way up to her very well rounded cute little butt."

KayHenderson
01-22-2008, 05:01 PM
I do compliment women if something about their look is particularly attractive. There are certain colors and styles that just look good on some people, and I do notice and often comment.

An earlier poster said it may become easier to do so as we age. Part of that may be that we're not perceived as threatening or trying to come on to the other person.

I've noticed that I've become friendlier and more open with everyone - male and female - over the last couple of years, and they do appreciate it and open up.

Eugenie
01-22-2008, 05:04 PM

Recently, I came out to an ex work colleague. We are both on early retirement plans and since we were no longer working together, I felt that she could handle my coming out. She did. She really reacted very positively.

She made one comment, though, that has made me think...

"Ah ha!!! Now I understand why you were often telling me that I was well dressed... I knew it wasn't a seduction attitude, but I couldn't figure out why you were complimenting me then..."

So it may be true that making compliments to a GG without having some hidden (but obvious to a woman's intuition) sexual idea behind your attitude could feel strange to that GG...

But x-dressing may not be the first thing that will come to her mind...

:hugs:
Eugenie

carhill2mn
01-22-2008, 05:28 PM
When I am in "male mode", I frequently compliment women! Virtually everyone loves a compliment. It is all in how you do it so that it is not misconstrued. I love it when I receive compliments when I am presenting as Carole. Interestingly, they are always from other women!

Stargirl
01-22-2008, 07:32 PM
As a GG, I love to be complimented by anyone who is sincere. And I am especially happy when a man knows that my dress is an older style. Or if he says "ah. Mary Jane shoes". I usually get comments in las Vegas. I have had older couples say they like my silly hats.

Audrey34
01-22-2008, 07:47 PM
I always compliment women while in male mode. I've usually gotten some great responses. One of my co-workers, a very nice lady; just had her hair shortened and done up as a nice bob. I told her how pretty it looked on her and her smile could have lit up the room! She was very happy I noticed, because she told me her husband didn't!
-Audrey

charlie
01-22-2008, 07:50 PM
I have complimented women all my life and only received thanks for it. If a woman looks pretty then I always tell her so. It is only since I have been dressing (last year) that I realize how neat compliments are. It seems that the compliments I get are for my outfit, shoes or dress, but I like them anyway. And why not. If I have taken the time to put together a good looking outfit I like it when someone else gives me credit.

Serena
01-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah I agree with most of the stuff replied to this. It did help me some. And generally I've been more comfortable complimenting my friends, at least the closer ones, on stuff like hair, or even nails. Usually the ones I know won't care, at least to a point. I know if I was a woman I'd liked to get complimented by anyone. But with certain women as like, my waitress, or cashier, or whatever, I can usually tell if they'd accept a compliment and now I'm wishing I would have complimented that woman. I feel more comfortable if they try and make slight conversation but I would've said something along the lines of "Those nails look really pretty." maybe even add "This might be a weird compliment from a guy but..."

Pamela Julie
01-22-2008, 10:08 PM
A while back while shopping at WM, a gg in her late teens or early twenties was shopping and had bright pink and purple hair that looked really good on her. It matched her clothing and everything about her. I complemented her on her hair, without it sounding like a come on . I really made her day. I am sure few 58 year old men make any nice comments to her about her hair. I seldom speak to strangers while shopping, and was overcome by how nice, what I usually look at as weird, looked on the young lady. She knew I was sincere. I think complements are welcome if sincere and are not threatening in any way.

Pamela:happy:

Andrea's Lynne
01-22-2008, 10:46 PM
....when we give one another well-deserved compliments.

I make it a point to compliment women on their appearance. I've only received smiles and "thank yous" when I've commented on a pretty woman's nails, or outfit, or whatever......and maybe sometimes a smile and a little blush.

And I think that's part of the point.

And I reserve my most heart-felt complimetns for the beautiful woman who agreed to be my wife! She's a dream come true.

CaptLex
01-23-2008, 11:12 AM
I compliment both men and women on anything about their appearance I find nice looking. I've always been free complimenting omen on their hairstyle, haircolor, nails, clothes, and/or shoes. At some point I determined it was sexist only to compliment women on their appearance. To counter this I began to compliment men on ties, haircuts, shirt colors, and the like. I very rarely have any negative feedback from anyone to whom I offer a compliment.
:yt: Ditto! I don't hesitate to compliment men ("nice tie" :thumbsup:) or women ("that's a great color on you") and I've never gotten strange looks or comments from anyone - just a smile and a thank you. I think if people put in the effort to look good and it pays off, they should know someone noticed it.

Kieron Andrew
01-23-2008, 11:15 AM
:yt: Ditto! I don't hesitate to compliment men ("nice tie" :thumbsup:) or women ("that's a great color on you") and I've never gotten strange looks or comments from anyone - just a smile and a thank you. I think if people put in the effort to look good and it pays off, they should know someone noticed it.

Ditto! although i get called gay occasionally when i do it to men lol