PDA

View Full Version : Womanly Smiles...

KateSpade83
01-22-2008, 07:22 AM
Ever go out in full drag and then when other women look at you they smile? - Did you ever make a friend of a woman because of it? How did it later turn out when they found out you were in drag?

There are some really pretty women that have smiled at me!

Eileen
01-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Kate smiles between women are so sweet! So far I have not met and become friends with another woman. It has however lead to a number of very nice conversations.

Eileen

JoAnnDallas
01-22-2008, 09:13 AM
I have had women smile at me when I was out en fem. Never knew if they were being friendly or were smiling at me because they had read me. LOL

jenniferj
01-22-2008, 02:02 PM
I think that women tend to smile when they encounter each other; if they walk by and don't make eye contact, they don't seem to smile.

I have been out a few times over the years, and have received and given a number of smiles. It really feels nice.

-jj

Brenda1423
01-22-2008, 02:10 PM
I went to our local Walgreens yesterday in drab and the middle aged checkout gal was just doing her job and not overly friendly. I went back today dressed as Brenda and she was very friendly and smiled more. She didn't stare at me as though she "made" me. She definately saw me as another woman. Had lots of smiles when Brenda from other women too.

Nicole Erin
01-22-2008, 02:54 PM
I get smiles sometimes from strange women in drab or en femme.

jenniferj
01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
In guy mode, I can usually extract a smile from a woman walking toward me if I nod/bow my head slightly and smile (not leer) - but it seems to be a very different smile.

I was walking across a parking lot as JJ one summer afternoon and saw a youngish woman with an infant in a baby carriage. I couldn't resist looking into the carriage at the precious thing and the woman caught my eye and smiled the warmest smile I have ever received. It as though we women shared a special secret or friendship. I assume that she didn't make me, or at least didn't care. It was one of the nicest things I've ever felt.

-jj

DonnaT
01-22-2008, 07:02 PM
I too get smiles when in drab mode. A nice smile begets a nice smile in return, usually.

Nicki B
01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
Women smile at each other, all the time?

When they smile at you, it usually means they're treating you as one of the tribe - but it's highly likely they've read you, as well (women look at each other very competitively). Just make sure you smile, too? :)

stormrider
01-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Because I like to be friendly to everyone, I usually am the first one to smile no matter how I am dressed. That usually brings a smiile in return(and I have never gone out looking like anyone other than who I am).

Michelle

Rachel Morley
01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
Women smile at me all the time .... I can't figure out if they are giving me the "you're one of us" smile or that that they are subtly laughing at me because it's a "knowing smile" and they're thinking .... "I just know that's a guy" :thinking: Either way I'm OK with either of these because I'm just so happy that I don't get any ridicule or confrontation. :o

Leah B
01-23-2008, 01:41 AM
I think a lot of women like to see a guy in drag. Men so rarely validate femininity, and to do so in the open view of others requires bravery. Femininity is devalued in this culture (in men AND women), but there are still a lot of feminine women. I suspect some women are conflicted by it - not like feminine men are, but still. To see a man reject the Holy Grail of Masculinity can be refreshing.

It's a convulted theory, but I suspect some smiles stem from this. Perhaps it can be explained simply as "honorary membership." Even if you don't pass, just making an effort can count for something.

Stormgirl
01-23-2008, 02:16 AM
No and no

No smiles for me for women - just contempt :Angry3:

Littlej10
01-26-2008, 04:40 PM
When walking I am never sure if the smile is because I have been read but is friendly anyway. A few weeks ago I was dressed and driving my motohome through a little town and stopped to let a young woman cross on a busy road, the smile I got was megawat compared to similar situations when in drab - I felt the female inner circle had just embraced me.

Amy Hepker
01-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I believe that most women do smile at one another and then through knives when their back is turned. You will never know what a womam is thinking just with a smile. If you feel it is a really friendly smile, you could try talking to them. It could be that they have already figured out you are a guy. You know it makes most women proud to be a woman when they see a guy dressing as one, because they know they really do have it made, and if guys are dressing like girls, it's because they have a better life.

noname
01-28-2008, 05:39 AM
It's a combination of reasons.

Firstly, women rarely smile at men. It's an invite to most guys.

They either smile because of passing or because of being read. Now we don't know if it's because they are hiding a laugh, or think it's cute. In any case I'm thinking it's because we are not viewed as the guy who's going to ask them out, or take their smile as a come on.

I've had met many more women and interesting people from not going out in total drab.

Nicki B
01-28-2008, 08:49 AM
No and no

No smiles for me for women - just contempt :Angry3:

What a sad, unhappy post.. :sad:

tamarav
01-28-2008, 09:14 AM
We, as a collective group, have inflicted the worst pain on ourselves than any outsider could ever do. Women smile at women as previously said as an acknowledgement and as a friendly thing. We as newly minted women have a tendency to see this friendly gesture as an attempt to see through our guise when it is so much less than that.

I smile all the time because I enjoy it and smiling at women in a non-leering manner when in drab always gets at least a meek smile. Women are much more open that men have or ever will be. I dress and work with women daily and now see how much more of tight group women are. They accept women (or newly minted ones) as peers and someone to talk about. We (collectively) talk about the shoes, the tight dress, the nice figure, whatever but we notice things. Men hardly even nod at one another, much less smile, it is taken as a sign of weakness possibly.

As new women we tend to act like victims 99% of the time, actually looking for criticism, I know I did for years. I looked down and hardly ever made eye contact. Now I strut my stuff proudly and meet everyone with a smile. Amazing results, even if you are visibly a man in a dress. You have the confidence to be among others and the balls to pull it off. My license plate holder reads "It takes balls to wear a dress" and that always elicits some comments from the people that read it.

Be proud, hold your head up and smile at anyone you feel like, especially women, they appreciate it.

Ooops, got carried away again......

Sally2005
01-30-2008, 12:48 AM
I believe woman smile at anyone who they percieve as not being a threat. Grandpa's get smiles, kids do, married men, other woman, fathers do...etc. Single desperate looking guys don't (because we all know what they are thinking!). :-) :love:

bonita
01-30-2008, 09:13 AM
It truly saddens me that you might take my smile as ingenuine. I do not throw knives. I share joy, happiness and love as much as possible.

JoAnnDallas
01-30-2008, 09:43 AM
One evening, I was exiting a convience store when this GG walks in. I stopped in my tracks, so did she and to my surprise she looks down to my heels and then back to my face. Not knowing really what to do I do the same thing, then she smiled at me. I smiled back and we then continued to walk past each other. I got the feeling that I had passed some kind of fashion inspection... LOL