PDA

View Full Version : What Does the Future Hold?

Mary Morgan
01-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Some of us more mature ladies remember a time when the only sources we had to learn about our femininity were "The National Enquirer" pulp magazines, bad jokes, and crossdressing comedians on Monty Python, Benny Hill, or The Boys in the Hall. Today there is a wide ranging open discussion of gender. One can learn so much so fast, and avoid some of the fear and self-loathing many have experienced.

What do you think the state of crossdressing or transgender acceptance will be in ten years, in 2018?

Kate Simmons
01-24-2008, 06:45 AM
I'm reading nothing past 2012 Louise. There are reasons for this but most folks would not understand or believe it. Simply put, the program is winding down. Expect to see all manner of strange happenings in the next few years.:happy:

Joanne f
01-24-2008, 07:03 AM
Well you do not look old enough to remember Monty Python and Benny Hill ,
but i think things have changed a lot in the last 10 years, as i think that it is a lot more accepted with a lot of young people now if one of their friends wants to cross dress and i think some of this has to do with the fact that it would not be so unusual to see a teenage boy wearing a skirt which is helping to push the boundaries a bit more .

joanne

DAVIDA
01-24-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm reading nothing past 2012 Louise. There are reasons for this but most folks would not understand or believe it. Simply put, the program is winding down. Expect to see all manner of strange happenings in the next few years.:happy:

Yes Sal, some people think that is the end. Others think that it is the beginning!

Phyliss
01-24-2008, 07:22 AM
I'm reading nothing past 2012 Louise. ...

Ya mean I won't be able to collect my social security?

I wouldn't begin to predict anything beyond the next 10 minutes much less the next 10 years. I'm just gonna enjoy the ride, it's been fun so far.

Cara Allen
01-24-2008, 07:28 AM
I was about 12 when "Psycho" came out...

That was enough to cost hundreds of dollars in therapy, and a fearful purge of all of my water baloons at a tender age. Then puberty struck hard, and Cara was back with a vengence. The guilt over possibly being psychotic was too much to deal with. When I get to heaven, I plan to corner Alfred Hitchcock about that one, and demand my money back.

When I was still younger, I remember finding out about Christine Jorgensen. I stole off to the library by myself, and wondered, and wondered...

Anyway, back to the question. My therapy is done through a gender clinic, and my therapist tells me that the unbelievable number of patients with gender issues is overwhelming the entire medical community. He feels this is just the tip of the iceberg.

In 10 years, assuming that they don't come up with a pill (and you can't fix what is not broken, so I doubt this,) we are going to be as commonplace as gays and lesbians are today.

HR departments within Companies are currently struggling with what to do to cover themselves, right now.

I hope that we are accepted, and commonplace.

erickka
01-24-2008, 07:29 AM
No one really knows exactly what the future holds for any of us, so I just plan to enjoy the ride as long as I can.

beth ann
01-24-2008, 07:55 AM
No one knows the future. We must enjoy the present and pray that we have many more years of joy with our families and friends.:D beth ann

Dawn Marie
01-24-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm hoping that society will be more tolerant of us, but right now I just want to see if I can get my wife to be more tolerant of my dressing.

Christina Louise
01-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Here in Dorset, England, I don't see more TGs out and about now than I did 10 years ago (i.e. very, very seldom). Also, it's about the same in the media now as it was then. And that's despite the exponential growth of internet access. Therefore, as much as one would want it be different, it will probably be much the same in 10 years time too.

Teresa Amina
01-24-2008, 08:55 AM
nothing past 2012

That might be just you, better go get one of those pre-paid funeral packages :D

Samantha B L
01-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Certainly the future holds greater acceptance. I live in Wisconsin just a little ways from the twin cities area in Minnesota. There are mini-mall buildings nearby which have Transgender Restrooms. I don't think you would have seen that 25 or 30 years ago. I think these buildings were built recently. And it was in this forum earlier last year that someone posted the news that in New Jersey,I can't remember if it was the governer or the state legislature has passed some sort of ruling about discrimination in state housing where crossdressing is concerned. It could take it a long time for changes like this to filter down,but it's a start.

I enjoy Benny Hill and Monty Python but I don't like the way that CD/TG/TS people are portrayed as being at best buffoons in these and certain other TV shows. I remember that when I was like 11 or 12,which was in the late sixties there was starting to be just a little bitty bit of acceptance in some circles,of Transgender Issues. But as with other things,it took 10 or 15 or more years for this to filter down. As I'm sure many of you remember those "letters to Ann Landers" dominated the landscape for a long time to come.

I'm not so sure that society is going to become more tolerant of crossdressers,generally speaking. But we will become more visible like in the cable TV news networks and the Newspapers. So I'd say that 2018 should be interesting.

Vicky_Scot
01-24-2008, 09:08 AM
I think in 10 years time someone will be posting the same question on a crossdressing forum.

MJ
01-24-2008, 09:31 AM
=beth ann;1165482]No one knows the future. We must enjoy the present and pray that we have many more years of joy with our families and friends.:D beth ann

beth is right yesterday is history . all we have is today thats why it's called the present . and god yes pray we have a tomorrow , some people won't be here tomorrow .

Kathy Renee
01-24-2008, 09:35 AM
As Salandra mentioned above, we have to get past 2012 but that is not a topic for this forum. I marvel at the progress that has been made for the transgendered particularly in access to information. The most important change that I have seen in my 50 years of CDing is the opportunity for sharing information either by a wonderful site like this or the various support groups that have developed. I am not too optimistic about what advances will be made in the next 10 years. Certainly there will be advances in information sharing. However, there are many issues and challenges that the world faces and I am not sure the transgendered are in most peoples top 10 list.

Mary Morgan
01-24-2008, 09:51 AM
Maybe a transgender/crossdressing free-world leader will step forward and solve all of the major problems and be stylish at the same time. LOL.

Jackie67
01-24-2008, 09:53 AM
My Moto Is , Yesterday Is The Past, Today Is The Present, And Tomorrow Is The Future. So Live Today , Let Yesterday Go ( You Ain't Gonna Change It) And Pray That Tomorrow Holds A Better Time And Place.

Sharon
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
What do you think the state of crossdressing or transgender acceptance will be in ten years, in 2018?

I think the question that should be answered is "what will you do in the next ten years to improve acceptance."

Jilmac
01-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Louise, As another midwest girl I can say that growing up in Milwaukee I can't recall ever seeing boys or men wearing female clothes in public. But I go back even farther than the comedians you mention. I remember seeing Milton Berle in drag in numerous sketches on his tv show. Curly of The Three Stooges also did drag, but as others have said, they were always portrayed as buffoons.

I think crossdressing is slowly coming of age but acceptance is still slow in coming. I think perhaps a national rally would help our cause greatly. Perhaps an event like Milwaukee's Summerfest, only it would be TG sponsered. We can show the world that we are serious about our lifestyle, and proud to be seen in public. I know there is pridefest for the gay community, but the TG community needs our own recognition. Then maybe the future will look brighter for all of us. Luv and:hugs: Jill

Littlej10
01-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Jackie67 got it about right but I think we should also work to make tomorrow better so that we are all more fabulous and more appreciated for the joy we can bring.

docrobbysherry
01-24-2008, 11:37 AM
When I see, " Makeover, CD/TV Version", or something similar,offered on the tube, I'll know TG's r moving toward being acknowledged. Acceptance will be the next step, and that could be WAY down the road!

I don't expect to see either in my life time. 2012, 2018, or what ever!
RS

JoAnnDallas
01-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Here in the states, we have had our first Transgender Soap Opera. 10 years ago that would not have happened.

Julogden
01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi Louise,

Regarding the USA, I think acceptance could go either way. While tolerance is on the increase, so is intolerance. Currently, I'd say that the tolerance is growing faster than the intolerance, but there are some very determined, powerful, organized and well-financed folk on the intolerant side, and they bear watching.

You never know what is going to happen.

Carol

Nicole Erin
01-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Honestly, I kind of doubt acceptance will progress too much, maybe some, but there will probably be more protection for the transgendered under the law.

I also think more people will be aware of CD/TS.

Lisa Golightly
01-24-2008, 03:45 PM
The unique thing about humans is they have an equal propensity to regress as progress. I'll be happy with status quo.

pamela_a
01-24-2008, 04:00 PM
2012.... isn't that when the hyperspace interplanetary bypass is scheduled to be built? If that's true I hope to be enjoying a quiet meal at Milliways (and I will try to not forget my towel) when it happens. So, so long, and thanks for all the fish.

In all seriousness, I agree that although we should plan for tomorrow we can't count on it. As for the acceptance for which everyone is searching I believe that can only be found on a person by person basis. "Society" may someday hopefully decide it no longer cares what manner of attire you choose to wear but, to me at least, acceptance is different.

First and foremost we must learn to accept ourselves for who we are...and I think that is the most difficult task any of us have to face.

-Paula-

charllote34
01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
This is not the end but the beginning of the end to quote Churchill !!

Deborah Jane
01-24-2008, 04:52 PM
The future for Crossdressers is perfect! After the Earth is invaded by a Crossdressing alien super race in 2012, we are left in control of our planet. The devastation predicted by some some is actually a war caused by our leaders who refuse to accept the superiority of crossdressers over their narrow minded way of thinking. After the war ends the human race starts to understand the error of narrow minded thinking and with the help of the crossdressing aliens becomes a far more tolerant race, allowing itself to concentrate on improving the lives of all species sharing this planet and eventually exploring the Universe.....
Thats my prediction!! But remember know one can predict the future...It just happens.

StayceeCD
01-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Guess 2012 is the new 2000!

Fab Karen
01-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi Louise,

Currently, I'd say that the tolerance is growing faster than the intolerance, but there are some very determined, powerful, organized and well-financed folk on the intolerant side, and they bear watching.

Carol
Yes, they took control of the party currently running the country. This is one of many reasons why voting is so important.

Genifer Teal
01-24-2008, 05:47 PM
2012.... isn't that when the hyperspace interplanetary bypass is scheduled to be built? If that's true I hope to be enjoying a quiet meal at Milliways (and I will try to not forget my towel) when it happens. So, so long, and thanks for all the fish.

-Paula-

Paula - Please save me a babel fish. When the dolphins pack up and leave it's time to get the heck out of here. Until then - live on.

Gen

Nicole Erin
01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
Guess 2012 is the new 2000!

Maybe, of course they predicted big things for 1984 , 1992 [THAT was going to be it! The end of it all...] 2000, now 2012.

For the alien race taking over Earth -
So do we get to be leaders then? Me and all the other fat girls will start our own group! Yeah!

Nothing would be tragic at that point, some things, however, would be a drag. Get it? "Drag"? HAHAHAH gyod I am so hilarious!

Veronicalynn
01-24-2008, 06:48 PM
What will the next ten years be like? I found out in the pass year that changes come apond us very quickly, almost over night. That is why I am living my life one day at a time. I don't think that those who are closed minded are going to change their minds any time in this century. Maybe in the next life.

Hugs to all,

Veronicalynn

:GE:

androgyne
01-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Younger people seem much more tolerant of the trans community and many young guys seem interested in TS women. Assuming the economy doesn't collapse, then I'd say the future looks good. :p

trannie T
01-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Society in general is becoming more tolerant of 'non-traditional lifestyles.' If the trend continues it should be easier to be transgendered and out. Our accepance as crossdressers should improve. Assuming we survive 2012.

bimini1
01-25-2008, 06:08 AM

All I know is a Mayan calendar gives it up around that time but I used to think CD would become one of the coolest things a man could do as opposed to one of the most horrid by society's standards. Now I am not too sure about that.

It seems like there is a serious backlash going on to all of the info about it in the media. The more they expose it the more people are going to voice their opinion about it which is mostly still quite negatvie at least where I am it is. In fact I personally have never heard anyone say anything positive about it at all, which is quite disconcerting. I just wish I could find the acceptance but often I think of it as the same way most people do, perverted, sick, etc.

All I know is I did not ask for this I just showed up on the earth one day and before I knew it I was a CD. Some days I love it some days I just hate it and wish it would go away, but I guess that goes with the territory.

Kate Simmons
01-25-2008, 07:05 AM
It's not all bad. We are here to experience our feelings and emotions. We are all a mixture of both male and female. How we deal with our particular mixture and how we balance it determines how well we do. One of the keys is truely knowing ourselves and using that knowledge in a positive and value added way. Works for me anyway.;):happy: