PDA

View Full Version : A serious update

Christina Louise
01-25-2008, 10:11 AM
A recap (so that you don't need to bother with my other posts): I'm in my 50s, am totally questioning my sexuality/sexual orientation, and want to resume CDing with a view to taking things a lot further than before.

On Tuesday I went to the Samaritans - for those outside UK they are an organisation that let you speak to someone via phone, email or face-to-face about ANY problems you have in your life that you feel you need to talk about to someone, and a first name is all they want from you. I talked for about an hour about all the various thoughts that have been going through my mind recently. I had hoped that just talking to another person about these things might feel like having a load taken from my shoulders but unfortunately it didn't. It did however prove that I am not so closeted that I daren't speak about CDing to anyone, keeping it my dirty secret.

I figured that a step that I might take is to go to a gay bar for the first time in my life, and googling yesterday revealed a pub 2 miles away. I've walked past it many times and so went out for a walk today just to confirm that it was the one I thought (just checking the name, not going in). I went by a different route than normal and I found a Gay, Lesbian, TG ... centre that I didn't know existed. After a brief hesitation I went inside to ask if an appointment was required to talk to someone; of course it wasn't and I soon found myself chatting quite openly about my CDing and other related matters. And I was told what was happening locally and that I should see about going along just to get an idea of things . The reason that I'm mentioning all this is that I have gained sufficient confidence to get a toehold into the type of social life that I've been wanting to join but was too afraid, and now that the closet door has swung open ever so slightly it is down to me to grab hold of the opportunity.

If I can do this then it means having got past the biggest obstacle of all. Usually when I get the seed of an idea in my mind then I just have to go through with it; I hope this is no different.

Eileen
01-25-2008, 10:36 AM
Good for you Christina! Those first step can seem so difficult, but they are behind you now! Enjoy your journey of discovering your true self! It can be a wonderful experience!

Eileen

Cara Allen
01-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Christina, trust me!

Get into a nice outfit, do your makeup, and get thee over to that bar! You will have a really nice time! No one bothers you at a gay bar. People are friendly, and sympathetic. You are likelky to be the center of attention (good intentions.) However... if it's a rough trade bar, find another place. There will be plenty of others. One way to find out would be to just wander in 'en drabbe, for an ale. If it looks like any other bar, and the patrons are pretty much average looking, you're good to go! You might ask the bartender if TG's are ever stopping in. Usually, the bartender will say, "oh yeah! All the time," or "Oh not much, but we're OK with it." Go home, change and come back before you change your mind!!!!

Also, inquire from the LGBT group of organizations you might be able to join. In no time, your social calendar will be so busy, you won't know what to do!

carolinewalker_2000
01-25-2008, 11:51 AM
Well done Christina; sounds as though you have taken the first step on the pathway to the future!

uknowhoo
01-25-2008, 12:01 PM
Hiya sweetie! I'm so gratified to hear of your peeking out of that closet door! That how it starts! It's okay to take baby steps t first, hopefully most of them will be forward. It is, btw, the first steps which are the hardest. Getting out n about as Christina may well be old hat to you in a few months or a year- and it all starts with these first few steps. Having this community, and now that TG centre as resources will make this potentially daunting effort alot easier. Thanx for posting, and please do keep us informed. xoxo Tammi oh yeah... you go girl!! :D

Sabrina Flowers
01-25-2008, 03:43 PM
Hi Christina. it is nice to hear that you are having the courage to peek out your closet and seeing yourself for who you want to be. grab the oppartunity with both hands if you can. I have heard that there is a great T.G happening in Bournemouth and a few meeting places in surounding areas.
Do keep us informed of your outings and happenings.

Natty_W
01-29-2008, 05:49 PM
I'm a Dorset TGirl too. Please can you tell me where the GBLT centre you discovered is?

Christina Louise
01-30-2008, 02:25 AM
I'm a Dorset TGirl too. Please can you tell me where the GBLT centre you discovered is?

It's near The Triangle in Bournemouth, this is their website (includes a map):-

http://www.rainbowbournemouth.co.uk/index.htm

p.s. i would have PM'd or emailed this to you to make sure that you get the info but you've haven't reached 10 posts yet.

Natty_W
01-30-2008, 03:48 AM
Thank you.

I've reached 10 posts now :happy:

Fab Karen
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
Good going.
"I am what I am
and what I am needs no excuses"

MonicaDD
01-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Dress to the nines, very nice and sexy and go to that bar, it will be the best time you ever had, Im with you. Monica.