PDA

View Full Version : My awesome news!

Taylor105
01-28-2008, 09:08 AM
Kieron! You rock, my friend. :)

Kieron had given me a link to the GLBT center in Mobile, AL. It's a good six hour drive from here so I didn't figure on going there or anything. But I looked all through their site and found an online Yahoo group just for trans people. So I joined. I got an e-mail from this sweet MTF lady and she and her wife live right here in the same county as we do. So last night me and my roomie Craig met her and her wife at a local restaurant. I didn't want to say anything until I was sure that the night would be a success so I can now share that I had an awesome time!! It felt really good to hang out with someone who is in the midst of transition. Had I not known I would never have guessed that she wasn't born with female bits. I felt very fortunate to make this new friend and I want to thank Kieron. :)

Now here is my other news. I live in a HUGE college town. Anyone in the U.S. that knows anything about the big schools will have heard of Auburn University. It's one big mamba-jamba of a school. hehe The library alone is five stories and is the biggest uni. library in the country aside from Harvard.

Anyway, I got to thinking this morning that for a school of that magnitude they just had to have some sort of meetings for the GLBT community. So I did a google search and came up with a group. Anyway, here are copies of what I wrote and the response I got back. I am soooo happy. I think I may actually have a life here.

My name is Taylor A. and I am trans. Female to Male. I haven't
exactly started my transition yet but hope to start testosterone soon.
Anyway, I moved here from Texas almost a year ago now. I don't go to
the college. I couldn't afford to if I wanted to. hehe I have been
looking high and low for support of some sort. And not really just
support but more of just having and making some friends around here. I
don't know a soul and the lonliness gets really old. I live in Opelika
and am about five minutes from the college. I did some research online
to see if there was anything around here for the GLBT community and I
found your e-mail address under the AGSA (Auburn Gay Straight Alliance). I suppose people are only
allowed into the group if they go to the college but I would fit in really
well. :) I look like a student. ;) Anyway, I'm grasping at straws
here. I just want to find some people to hang out with that I can be
myself with. Thanks for your time, Taylor A

And this is the reply I got!!!

Hi Taylor,

You're more than welcome to attend AGSA; we have weekly meetings on
Wednesday at 7pm in room 202, Foy. We would love to have you. There also
is a graduate student group called Spectrum which meets every other
Tuesday at 7pm in Haley; they tend to have a more mature focus since
they're mostly graduate students seeking their PhD. If you would like to
find out the exact room number, the president's email address is
, and her name is Amney.

I look forward to meeting you. :)

Katie Lushington
President of Membership, AGSA

Doing the happy dance!!! :) Wow!! Could it be?? Taylor is going out and getting a REAL LIFE?? :)

Kieron Andrew
01-28-2008, 09:28 AM
YAY! i told you there HAD to be a group or something...glad you got off your ass and checked hehee!! good for you dude, i hope you get some buddies to hang out with, glad i could help...

oh and good for you meeting up with an MtF..Did you tell her about here?

So are you going Wednesday???

Emily Ann Brown
01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Awesome news hun...WAY TO GO !!!!

Emily Ann

Nicki B
01-28-2008, 11:14 AM
Nice feeling, finding other people, isn't it? :winking:

CaptLex
01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
I'm so happy for you, Taylor! See? We can never be sure until we try, right? I think it's really, really important to meet and interact with others who would get us and support us - online as well as in person. I'm glad you're expanding your sphere. Just wait till those guys and girls get to meet cool Taylor. :happy:

Devon James
01-28-2008, 12:03 PM
Awesome news buddy, I really hope it works out the way you want it to be. Patience is always rewarded, although you have to wait long sometimes. Keep us posted how it goes! :hugs:

Tristan
01-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Awesome Taylor!!!!

:hugs:

ZenFrost
01-28-2008, 02:16 PM
Way to go man! I'm so happy for you!

Victoria Anne
01-28-2008, 03:06 PM
I am so happy for you Taylor , I do hope it turns out to more than hope can allow , have a great time and keep us informed ok.

Tamara Croft
01-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Wow, finally some great news for you :bs: I bet you're doing a happy dance, and Kudos to Kieron :clap:

Sharon
01-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Very cool, Taylor -- I'm so happy for you. :happy:

Stargirl
01-28-2008, 06:12 PM
I am doing a happy dance for you, too. (spin, leap). Expand your horizons ! By using the good common sense you have been blessed with, life holds a series of new adventures. (I sound like a Fortune Teller).

DanielMacBride
01-29-2008, 07:51 AM
YAY! That's awesome news, Taylor :D

Daniel

Taylor105
01-29-2008, 12:11 PM
Thanks all!! Kieron yes I am going to go to the meeting tomorrow night. I'm nervous. I hope they like me. I mean I don't go to the university so I kinda feel like an outsider. It's gonna be all uni kids who already know each other. But luckily for me I'm really young looking. I know that at community colleges there are lots of middle aged students but at these big uni's there are more the kids straight out of high school. Okay, so I am a 34 year old (female-bodied) transman. Pre-t pre-op nad a scrawny little guy. I really hope they will like me. Please everyone send me some good vibes!! :) Taylor

Kieron Andrew
01-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Kieron yes I am going to go to the meeting tomorrow night. I'm nervous. I hope they like me.
Taylor, they'll love you, you are a such a sweet guy its hard not to!!

Please everyone send me some good vibes!! :)
We'll want a full report in the morning after! :heehee:

Lora Olivia
01-29-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow how cool is that. Kieron you do rock for helping Taylor out with this. I hope someday I can meet in person with other girls like me. :D :hugs: or any of you guys too!!!!

Kieron Andrew
01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
Wow how cool is that. Kieron you do rock for helping Taylor out with this.
anything to help someone so cool as Taylor, he rocks!...although i'd help anyone if they asked, and it was physically possible to do so

ZenFrost
01-29-2008, 04:16 PM
We'll want a full report in the morning after! :heehee:

:yt: And don't leave out any details! :smilep:

Felix
01-29-2008, 05:35 PM
I'm really pleased for ya dude ya deserve a break xx Felix :hugs::hugs:

Taylor105
01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
Thanks Kieron. That means a lot to me. ;) And yes, I am nervous and yes I will give a full report. Tonight's the night!!

Kieron Andrew
01-30-2008, 11:40 AM
Tonight's the night!!

[start father mode]Now make sure you iron your best shirt and pants, make sure wear clean undies![/end father mode] :p (only kidding have a great time!!!)

Taylor105
01-30-2008, 10:07 PM
I went the the group tonight and LOVED it

the people were so cool!!

a girl slipped me her number afterwards :heehee:
it was a crazy meeting
there were about 20 people there. I was the only tranny but most of the rest were femmy gay guys and butch girls. a couple of lipstick lesbians (you know the femmy girls)

they have a topic for the group

everyone sits in a huge circle

and it's like very intellectual

well anyway, the pre-picked topic for tonight was what people thought the difference between gender and sexuality was and how they related.

oh brother did I come on a night where I was in the hot seat many times

but it was very cool to have people to relate to. calling me Taylor and he. " made it clear from the beginning in the intro that i related as a straight male

anyway, after the group everyone goes to dinner usually. I didnt go tonight because im broke but they invited me and seemed bummed that I couldnt go

I will definitely go next wed.

Oh here was the real kicker!! There was a guy in the group who is in his last part of baptist seminary school

His brother is gay and he has a partner and two adopted children

he is there to try to understand things from our side of it

but he seemed to preach a lot and i could tell by looking at some of the others that he was getting on their nerves

like they would be having little whispering side discussions while he was talking

i listened very carefully and actually came right out in a room full of God haters that I am a Christian

I stood up for my faith. I also however stood up for people who I feel were born the way they are and therfore that is why they may feel antipathy towards people like him pushing the Bible down their throat. That someone like him could never understand that it isn't a choice for us because he has no idea how it feels to be anything other than a straight male in a male body.

this girl....the one who slipped me her number said...Okay...when I was born..God slipped my soul into my body. I'm a girl and I got a girl soul. Then she points straight at me. Taylor's soul is male and his body female. Did God make a mistake? I grinned at her.

But anyway, they seem like a kick ass bunch of people to hang with and I can't WAIT until next week

Hell, this girl...let me check her name again because I forgot, Theresa, told me to call her anytime and that they did more fun stuff than just go out on Wed. night. That they chill on other nights too. Woo Hoo!! I have a social life.

Oh yeah and two of the girls told me that if it made me feel any better that they both thought I was a really cute guy upon first sight.

Cai
01-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Oh yeah and two of the girls told me that if it made me feel any better that they both thought I was a really cute guy upon first sight.

Well, duh, you are a really cute guy! :p :happy:

I'm glad you had such a good time.

Stargirl
01-31-2008, 12:01 AM
I wish I could have been your Fairy God Mother, and slipped you a $20 to go out and eat with your new friends. You certainly have good powers of observation when it comes to people, and fairness ! Hugs, and I hope next week is even more fun.

ZenFrost
01-31-2008, 12:10 AM
That's great that it worked out Taylor! :bg:

Don't be too quick to judge though, just because someone doesn't like to be preached to doesn't mean that person is a God hater. I know I wasn't there and didn't see the situation for myself, but I know some people simply don't like to be preached to about anything, regardless of what their beliefs are.

Taylor105
01-31-2008, 05:26 AM
That's great that it worked out Taylor! :bg:

Don't be too quick to judge though, just because someone doesn't like to be preached to doesn't mean that person is a God hater. I know I wasn't there and didn't see the situation for myself, but I know some people simply don't like to be preached to about anything, regardless of what their beliefs are.

You are so right. I guess "haters" is not really a good way of wording it. Most of them stated they were athiests. Some stated they were evolutionists and still a couple of them stated they believed God was female. The one thing that sucked was this Baptist guy seemed to be taking up most of the group time.

At times during the group I thought of you guys sooo much. Like I wished you were there because I was nervous and not able to completely keep up with the topic. Like at times I felt like they were talking over my head. It probably didn't help that I took 2 mgs. of Xanax before I went. I was so nervous before I left I thought I was going to puke. That type of anxiety is what made me so isolated. I was afraid to go out and meet people and try new things. But I think next time if I'm nervous I will only take 1 mg. Because my brain got a bit foggy and I'm not stupid. I don't want to come off looking or sounding stupid. One of the questions was "What is the difference between sex (meaning sex of the body) and gender and how could the two not relate?" Basically I said that for me my gender was my "being". Who I feel I am on the inside. That the "sex", body, did not match up. And that it never has. For me, they are completely irrelevant. I thought of you Zen. And Lex and Kieron among others. I was like "I wish my buddies were here to help me field these questions". Of course every other person in the room with the exception of me was in their early to mid twenties. They all were students there except of course of the Baptist seminary guy who had to be about my age. I didn't give away my age to the group. I want them to not think I'm old or something. haha Anyway, that's about all I can think of for now. :)

Felix
01-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Well done my friend and keep up the good work sounds like the group will help ya xx Felix :hugs:

SirTrey
01-31-2008, 08:50 AM
Taylor, dude....That is REALLY great news....SO glad you had a good time.....I've said it before and I will say it again...got a problem, ask the Bulldog.....HAPPY for you that you have a group now and a social life!! **Hugs, Trey**

Kieron Andrew
01-31-2008, 08:51 AM
I went the the group tonight and LOVED it

the people were so cool!!
YAY! brilliant, Taylor is getting friends...

a girl slipped me her number afterwards :heehee:WTG dude pretty girls giving you numbers already eh! charmer you!!

it was a crazy meeting
there were about 20 people there. I was the only tranny but most of the rest were femmy gay guys and butch girls. a couple of lipstick lesbians (you know the femmy girls)Great that you felt comfortable dude!, Do they know of any trans groups?

they have a topic for the group

everyone sits in a huge circle

and it's like very intellectual
you sure it wasnt an AA meeting lol *ouch* dont hit me lol

well anyway, the pre-picked topic for tonight was what people thought the difference between gender and sexuality was and how they related.

oh brother did I come on a night where I was in the hot seat many times

but it was very cool to have people to relate to. calling me Taylor and he. " made it clear from the beginning in the intro that i related as a straight maleGeez you really do pick the right nights dontcha!! lol

anyway, after the group everyone goes to dinner usually. I didnt go tonight because im broke but they invited me and seemed bummed that I couldnt go

I will definitely go next wed.
YAY! Taylor is going to dinner!! :heehee:

But anyway, they seem like a kick ass bunch of people to hang with and I can't WAIT until next week

Hell, this girl...let me check her name again because I forgot, Theresa, told me to call her anytime and that they did more fun stuff than just go out on Wed. night. That they chill on other nights too. Woo Hoo!! I have a social life. YAY! Taylor gets to hang with some cool people....

Oh yeah and two of the girls told me that if it made me feel any better that they both thought I was a really cute guy upon first sight.just look at him getting all the girls around him already lol

C.J.
01-31-2008, 09:59 AM
Hey Taylor, from reading your posts I just want to tell you well done...and writing that first email took a lot of guts. I hope to be able to do that someday too (meet up IRL with people who are trans-friendly/trans themselves!) but right now I don't have that kind of courage. Your topic is inspiring to me and it's given me a little boost of the courage I need. Thank you.

All the best, man.

- C.J.

CaptLex
01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Glad you went, despite your nervousness, and I'm glad you met some cool people. And dude, you're a fast worker . . . you got a phone number already?! :^5:

Sounds to me like that seminary guy's primary purpose for being there was to preach, not listen and learn. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good for you for taking that first step. Hope you make lots of good friends . . . we knew everyone would be charmed by you. :kiss:

Taylor105
02-02-2008, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys. I so much love you all....in a brotherly type of way of course. hehe Except for Miss Emily Ann :love:

I didn't do anything to get this girl to give me her number. lol I was just myself. And I can't wait until Wednesday. My doc appointment yesterday went awesome too. I made a couple of vids about it so I don't feel like typing it all back out. haha Here are the links to the vids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8JuYs40ULs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66VBx_G04-U

As far as the preacher guy goes? I was told that he doesn't come very often.

I have networked with a couple of trans guys I have met on youtube though and even if there is no trans group around here I will be able to meet some bro's in person soon enough. The other cool thing this girl who gave me her # and e-mail said was that I now make their little rainbow family complete. :) Anyway, thanks again for the encouragement. Life is looking really good right now. Hugs!!

waspookie6
02-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Wow Taylor! You have been so honest about yourself and life with the video's - when stumbling over the other picture post I kept thinking "I would never know..." lol

I think this is all working out like it is supposed to for you. The timing of things - seem to fit just right. You can also articulate what many can't or won't, this is how we can change our perceptions and get others to do the same!

Have fun at the next meeting and so glad to hear the first one was a challange. If it wasn't you may very well have been bored...
:happy:

wanttobejoe
02-03-2008, 02:39 AM
Taylor, nice to hear that everything went well and you're making friends. :thumbsup:

Taylor105
02-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Wow Taylor! You have been so honest about yourself and life with the video's - when stumbling over the other picture post I kept thinking "I would never know..." lol

I think this is all working out like it is supposed to for you. The timing of things - seem to fit just right. You can also articulate what many can't or won't, this is how we can change our perceptions and get others to do the same!

Have fun at the next meeting and so glad to hear the first one was a challange. If it wasn't you may very well have been bored...
:happy:

Thank you. :) In my videos I can be really silly but that is all a part of who I am. I have had people tell me that they like my sincerity in my vids. I really appreciate that feedback because one thing I want to do in life is inform people. Whether it be through silly videos or whatever means it takes. I just want people to know that trans folks are just like everyone else. :)

Taylor105
02-07-2008, 10:03 AM
I went to group last night and I was pleasantly surprised that the president of the group had gotten ahold of one of the professers in the engineering department and invited her on my behalf. This professer is a mtf who lives full time as a woman. It was awesome to meet her. She's a really cool lady. She gave me her card and wants me to e-mail or come and visit her in her department anytime I want. Apparently, she never comes to the group so it was kinda cool that she came just to meet me. She also wants to help me out with getting in touch with her endo who she says is really awesome.

After group there were ten of us who went out to eat together. We went to a kick ass Chinese restaurant. One of those little hole in the wall places that you wouldn't even give a second glance to if you weren't introduced to it by someone else. But those places are usually the best!!

This weekend they are going to have a movie night and show two trans movies. I believe we are watching "Southern Comfort" and "A Girl Like Me". I have the second movie. It's a Lifetime movie. Very very sad. :( I haven't seen "Southern Comfort" yet. I do know what it is about though. Again, it's sad. :( Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that I am having a great time building a network of friends. :) Thanks again for the encouragement to get my butt out of the house and meet people. :)

Kieron Andrew
02-07-2008, 10:12 AM
I went to group last night and I was pleasantly surprised that the president of the group had gotten ahold of one of the professers in the engineering department and invited her on my behalf. This professer is a mtf who lives full time as a woman. It was awesome to meet her. She's a really cool lady. She gave me her card and wants me to e-mail or come and visit her in her department anytime I want. Apparently, she never comes to the group so it was kinda cool that she came just to meet me. She also wants to help me out with getting in touch with her endo who she says is really awesome.

After group there were ten of us who went out to eat together. We went to a kick ass Chinese restaurant. One of those little hole in the wall places that you wouldn't even give a second glance to if you weren't introduced to it by someone else. But those places are usually the best!!

This weekend they are going to have a movie night and show two trans movies. I believe we are watching "Southern Comfort" and "A Girl Like Me". I have the second movie. It's a Lifetime movie. Very very sad. :( I haven't seen "Southern Comfort" yet. I do know what it is about though. Again, it's sad. :( Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know that I am having a great time building a network of friends. :) Thanks again for the encouragement to get my butt out of the house and meet people. :)WOW! Taylor it sounds like you've really landed on your feet, im so glad you are starting to make friends, maybe theres a group you can go to SCC with one year, (getting a head of myself but hey its good to look to the future)

CaptLex
02-07-2008, 10:37 AM
I'm so happy for you, Taylor . . . and happy for them too 'cause they get to meet and hang with cool mister you. :cool:

Enjoy, hun! :hugs:

Tristan
02-07-2008, 01:59 PM
That's so awesome, Taylor. So glad you found pple you can talk to and hang out with. :hugs:

mistunderstood
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Good to hear things are looking up for you. About time. Well keep up the good work.

ZenFrost
02-07-2008, 04:31 PM
That's great that you're making friends Taylor! :bg:

RevMoonSerpent
02-07-2008, 04:43 PM
I'm really happy for you Taylor. It's good that you are finally getting to a high point in your life with your new friends. Considering how lonely you were when you first moved. I hope things stay this way for you and that your friendships continue to grow.

Taylor105
02-08-2008, 09:24 AM
I'm really happy for you Taylor. It's good that you are finally getting to a high point in your life with your new friends. Considering how lonely you were when you first moved. I hope things stay this way for you and that your friendships continue to grow.

Honestly? I've been lonely my whole life. My whole world was in this screen. I was terrified to step out into the world as myself. So it is just surreal now that I have, and people actually like me. :)

Now I'm trying to step over the hurdle of jumping out into the world and get a job. It's hard when you have such a fear of failure. Silly huh? But if I am ever to get on T and someday get top surgery I need to get over it and get a job.

The trans lady, Dr. Thomas, has e-mailed me and she says she wants to help me to find a job that I will get accepted as ME! She is the coolest lady. She has kind of already taken me under her wing. I think that's pretty amazing because as a professor at the University she must be really busy. Yet, she is taking time out to help me and befriend me. Anyway, hugs for all you guys and gals!

Tristan
02-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Honestly? I've been lonely my whole life. My whole world was in this screen. I was terrified to step out into the world as myself. So it is just surreal now that I have, and people actually like me. :)

Now I'm trying to step over the hurdle of jumping out into the world and get a job. It's hard when you have such a fear of failure. Silly huh? But if I am ever to get on T and someday get top surgery I need to get over it and get a job.

The trans lady, Dr. Thomas, has e-mailed me and she says she wants to help me to find a job that I will get accepted as ME! She is the coolest lady. She has kind of already taken me under her wing. I think that's pretty amazing because as a professor at the University she must be really busy. Yet, she is taking time out to help me and befriend me. Anyway, hugs for all you guys and gals!

I'm so happy things are going well for you Taylor. A tip on the job stuff. I really hate meeting new people lack self esteem, etc, so when I finished school I went through a temp agency and got a temp to hire job. There was a short interview the temp agency but I wasn't as nervous since in a way they weren't hiring me directly. The temp to hire place that I got on at didn't really interview me that much it was more we'll try you out for three months and if it works we'll hire you. For me that process just seemed less intimidating.

Taylor105
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
I'm so happy things are going well for you Taylor. A tip on the job stuff. I really hate meeting new people lack self esteem, etc, so when I finished school I went through a temp agency and got a temp to hire job. There was a short interview the temp agency but I wasn't as nervous since in a way they weren't hiring me directly. The temp to hire place that I got on at didn't really interview me that much it was more we'll try you out for three months and if it works we'll hire you. For me that process just seemed less intimidating.

Thanks Trist!! You have some really good advice there. :)

waspookie6
02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Taylor, this just keeps getting better and better.
Next thing you know we won't hear from you much because of work and going out with friends...wait, that's a good thing! :happy: