PDA

View Full Version : Self-storage

ashgagal
01-28-2008, 10:30 PM
Hi folks..so glad to have found this site...just a question for the girls who still have to hide (like me!)- Have you ever used public storage/self-storage? Do they require an ID? More importantly, do they send ads and flyers to the house saying, "HEY ASHLEY come rent some more storage from us...etc"??

Thanks bunches!

Farrah
01-28-2008, 10:45 PM
Hi folks..so glad to have found this site...just a question for the girls who still have to hide (like me!)- Have you ever used public storage/self-storage? Do they require an ID? More importantly, do they send ads and flyers to the house saying, "HEY ASHLEY come rent some more storage from us...etc"??

Thanks bunches!

Good question!!

SandyR
01-28-2008, 10:51 PM
Heheh........I guess if you rent the place in enfemme.....they might send mail addressed.....that way.

SandyR

vikki2020
01-28-2008, 11:39 PM
Don't know how they work, but I might find out soon enough.Our house was to small the day we moved in, and I am totally running out of hiding spots! It's getting to the point where I have to stop and think---"now where did I stash that new top"?Plus, I suffer from CRS---Can't Remember S***!

Mitzi
01-28-2008, 11:40 PM
I had a unit in a public storage facility for years. I rented it en drab and kept my femme stuff there.

Every now and then, they'd send a notice to my home notifying me of a rent increase, or some special event, like an auction of delinquent renters' stuff.

The manager went into all the units once to install a security system (by removing the hinges, I believe).

My first lock was faulty, someone got into my unit a couple of times and swiped some stuff. I had a collection of tg magazines so whoever it was probably knew the stash was for a crossdresser.

Overall, it was a good arrangement. My wife knew about the unit, so the mailers were a bit awkward, but not a real problem.

Mitzi

MsToriJones
01-29-2008, 12:26 AM
you could always use a PO Box and make sure you always pay the bill on time. Tell them the way to contact you is via phone and give them a number your SO won't answer.

just a few suggestions

docrobbysherry
01-29-2008, 12:36 AM
I carry things to and from my work place quite a lot. Always use the Goodwill bags I have saved. Many people have stopped to chat with me. So far, no one has ever asked what's in the bag! Simple to answer if they did. They r big bags, too.
RS

trannie T
01-29-2008, 05:12 AM
I had a storage unit years ago, I did not use it to hide clothes but for regular storage, I got a statement from them every month for the rent.

tamarav
01-29-2008, 05:28 AM
While working for the University of California and living on a sailboat, I travelled up and down the coast working on different campuses. I would rent a storage locker at each new marina to store my femme items. I even used one to dress in a few times, scared to death someone would catch me and demand ID and such. Funny how I did that for so long.

Now that I am ashore and have a stable home environment, I built a whole studio with more mirrors than a dance hall and almost enough storage to satisfy me.

Storage lockers do work well as long as your "stuff" remains safe and doesn't get damp or moldy, as it had a tendency to do in a marina locker. Just don't stuff a wig in a bag while it is still damp from spray or whatever and pull it out a month later. Use your imagination on that one, think of a coffee cup half full sitting in the garage for a month.....

Your sis,

Tami

KelliBennett
01-29-2008, 06:47 AM
I just moved all my things into a local self storage for a few reasons. First my collection was getting to big to manage in house. Second it was getting mushed in the suitcases and boxes I had it in.

The space I have is 10x5. I purchases some free standing closet organizers and turned the space into a pseudo walk in closet. It is nice to see what I have and be able to find it. I usually only have time for a couple of outfits anyway so I just take what I need.

As an added bonus I can use the unit number like a shipping address.

Lastly it is indoors, climate controlled, and they even said without me asking, they don't mail anything to the house. And I can pay in advance. Right now I am good for 6 months.

So far all is well and no one has said anything to me.

Kathy Renee
01-29-2008, 09:06 AM
For years (never seems to end), I have used Public Storage in the summer to store my daughter's stuff when not in college. I did virtually everything via the internet with them. Used my email address as the point of contact as well as my cell phone. I do not think I have ever received anything in the mail at my house.

I would suggest checking out some of the storage companies on-line and call them. Tell them you cannot rely on regular mail and will have to use email and cell as your points of contact. Also, rent the space in your male name. I do not see the advantage or anything to gain from renting the space in your fem name.

terrigurl
01-29-2008, 09:07 AM
They did ask for an ID, so I showed it to them.
As far as ads, I don't get any.
As far as the bill, I have them send an email reminder.
And the phone number I gave is my cell phone.

Bonnie D
01-29-2008, 09:23 AM
I use a public storage locker to store the stuff I rarely use. They are in boxes and they are indoors in a climate controlled facility. I had to show them ID so I used my male information. I gave my office phone number and my UPS mail box as my mailing address. I used a credit card that is separate from all other cards I have. It uses that mail box as a mailing address too. The monthly rental charges are automatically charged to the card and the card bills are sent to my mail box. Also my credit card only has my initials and surname on it so when I order things on-line no one can tell my gender.

Bonnie

Kathleen Ann Trees
01-29-2008, 05:29 PM
I did some research on this just last week. A 5' x 10' indoor locker in the Chicago suburbs was $58 per month. Not bad. Haven't decided yet if I want to do that. Eventually, I have to do something. The kids are getting old enough to start looking through stuff when we aren't home. I don't want them to find 25 pairs of size 12 shoes. The rest of the stuff can be my wifes.

Kathleen Ann

Beth785
01-29-2008, 08:30 PM
I have a storage unit as well. It's a garage stall inside a card lock chain link fence. I met the guy the day I rented the unit, but that was it. They don't send statements, but they do have my address and phone, I'm sure just for reminders if I don't pay my bill on time. It's funny to see how many of the other units have the company's security lock on it, as in they haven't been paying their bill!

Stephanie-L
01-29-2008, 11:09 PM
I also have a 5x10 indoor storage unit that I keep almost all my femme things in. I gave them my cell phone # and have never received anything in the mail from them. The only downside is that I can't get to my stash easily, especially late at night. I have even changed there a few times and have never had a problem......Stephanie

ehren
01-29-2008, 11:13 PM
good (clandestine) advice here, I was wondering where else I could hide my stuff (garage is being integrated for other stuff too). . .thanks!