PDA

View Full Version : Where am I going wrong ?

Suzy Harrison
01-31-2008, 12:36 AM
There’s a saying that goes something like:

“ You’d be paranoid too if you knew the whole world is against you ! “

Well I’m reaching the stage where I think I’m ether getting paranoid or I’m just not reading reality right….. Yes we’re back on the passing theme again !

When I first started to go out on public in August of last year I seemed to be invincible. I could go out as often as I liked and would never get read. I’d even go out of my way to be served in a store by a teenage assistant, just to see where my boundaries were – I never had any problems.

Then for no apparent reason things seem to go downhill. I got read several times, but I accepted at the time that no one is ever going to be 100% successful at a 100% of the time.

But things seem to be going from bad to worse and I can’t see why. I’m wearing the same things, going to the same places – but with different results than when I first started.

A day ago I was out in public and I was read twice in a period of 10 seconds !. I was passing a group of guys sitting outside a coffee shop when I heard the comment “Oh there goes a real man!”. Seconds later this guy was walking toward me – staring at me and grinning from ear to ear – almost braking into a laugh. I just couldn’t see how he could read me – and I was wearing sunglasses at the time so there wasn’t much to see facial wise. Yes I know I should have stopped there and then in the street and asked him what the problem was. It’s easy to say that now, but I was in shock at the time and just couldn’t believe what had just happened a few seconds earlier – and now this.

I’ve gone over the photos I took before I went out and can’t see anything different in my looks to the other occasions I’ve been out. I’ve even spoken to a Transman friend of mine on this site, who has met with me late last year and he can’t think of anything about me that gives me away either.

The only thing I can think of is the way I walk – but I’m sure I’m doing all the right things, but I can think of nothing else at this stage.

I know someone is going to say passing isn’t everything – but it sure beats being embarrassed in the middle of the high street ......

Kate Simmons
01-31-2008, 01:02 AM
I dunno Suzy, I probably would have taken that as an off handed "compliment" myself. In a lot of ways, it takes being a "real man" to have the guts to do what we do. Most men are too unsure of their own sexuality to even attempt it. You look fine my friend.:happy:

Nicki B
01-31-2008, 01:31 AM
Suzy,

No one can tell if you 'pass' or not from a still photo. It obviously bothers you, so try filming yourself moving in front of a videocam?

But honestly, very, very few people pass 100% all the time.. And most of them are on hormones and have their own hair.. :sad: Please, don't obsess about passing? The difference may just be you didn't notice people 'reading' you before? Women particularly are very good at seeing, but not reacting. :hmmm:

Isn't the problem more 'do I get unpleasant comments'? So, be prepared to be read, and to throw a little 'shade' back? (Along the lines of "Well you're no gentleman, certainly..") Watch how genetic women deal with men behaving badly?

If anyone wants to be rude - make it their problem, not yours? You have every right to just be yourself, so act confidently, even if you don't feel it... :hugs:

breanna53
01-31-2008, 07:27 AM
i don't know. I could pass look wise, but i do not have the femme act down. my mannerisms would be what gives me away.

Lisa Rose
01-31-2008, 08:39 AM
I think it comes from exposure. (No I don't mean your slip is showing or your thigh highs have fallen down.) I mean the numerous times you've been out or the numerous times the other person may have seen what they thought was a cd/tv/ts.

I don't try to pass but 99% of the time I'm wearinjg a skirt while in public. Some days nothing is ever noticed or no comments. Other days I can't get out of the car without a negative look or comment. I do my shopping at a Super Wal, going once a week. Except for the clerks (and even some of them I never see twice) I've yet to notice the same people in the store. This means that I've been seen by not just the few that are in the store at the time but my exposure is multiplied by the number of times I've been to the store.

You're simply being seen by a new group of people each time you go out. Given this fact, the odds of being 'clocked' increases because of others awareness and experiences of 'seeing' a cd/tv/ts in public increases. There's more of us 'out there' ( I hate that cliche) and more and more people are seeing us.

Stop woring about it. Just accept the fact that you are you and you are different from the 'normal' crowd. If someone notices, 'So What".

Chari
01-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Hi Suzi, Sorry that you feel a bit down about being read. Your pics look very femme, so perhaps it is a non feminine mannerism or physical movement that you'll have to change. Also, maybe traveling with a friend will detour some of your fears and confrontations. You have gotten this far, so please don't give up doing what you enjoy. Keep your confidence and attitude high! Continue practicing and studying all the fem things GGs do naturally. IMO, It is very sad that society decides what is "right" for everyone, rather than let each of us enjoy who we are. Keep us posted as to your progress.

Big Hugs2U, Chari

Lissa Stevens
01-31-2008, 10:30 AM
My guess would be your attitude. When you got read once or twice it shook your confidence and then you started to think you would be read. Then you didn't have the same attitude as before so it became easier for you to be read. That's my 2 cents. BTW I think you look wonderful.

suzy
01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Suzy,

Sorry...but I can't determine any reason from your pics why you wouldn't pass. You look very feminine and leave no doubt in my mind that you are a lady.

I think the idea of filming yourself is a good one. I also believe that you should not worry about what other people think anyway. This is an attitude and not some kind of a game to see if we can fool people. You are who you think that you are. You are who you are to you and you should love it.:2c::hugs:

paulaN
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
My first thought was you look great and should not have any problem. my second thought was what Lisa Rose has said, you keep getting seen by the same people and they have cought on. Lissa S also had a good thought, beeing rattled can throw everything out of wack. That happened to me just last week on one of my few outings. So try not to get rattled and have fun with it. That is what I try and do. But it is easyer said than done. Good luck and once again you look great as always.

kimmy p
01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
Simple odds sweety, some people are more observant than others. You've just ran into several in quick succession.

jennifer41356
01-31-2008, 12:03 PM
With me , I always feel if someone suspects its because of the wig, I used to have long haired ones but over time they get ragged around the neck because of the heat generated from my neck , so i have a shorter style and really havent had any problems, so maybe its the hair..:2c:

SANDRA MICHELLE
01-31-2008, 01:28 PM
Your presumption is that you are going wrong and that's where you are going wrong! Understand? You look really good and who cares what the "jerks" think. I would have said to them "I beg your pardon", "who do you think you are". If they questioned it say that you did not critiscize them for what they look like and you don't feel they have the right to critiscize you.
At any rate you look great and if I ever get to Australia I would definately look you up.

Mitzi
01-31-2008, 01:56 PM
Suzy...

I think jennifer41356 has a point. When I saw your going out pics, I didn't notice anything obvious to give you away. But after reading her post, it does strike me that your hair, while attractive, can draw attention. Maybe that's what causes some to look more closely...also my :2c:

I recall when I first started going out, it was such a thrill, I wasn't concerned over others' reaction, but am much more aware now.

Mitzi

Emily Ann Brown
01-31-2008, 02:14 PM
At the risk of sounding like a bitch....SO ???!!!

Did you have fun while out? Bet ya did, even with being read.
Did you get arrested or anyone scream and draw a crowd? Not that you mentioned.

My gut feeling is you gave yourself away by looking "guilty"....easy to do when you get read the first time during an outting. If you were not selfconscious you may not have known you got read.

Shake it off and try pumping gas or try a new store. Bet things are quite different this time.

Emily Ann

Di
01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Mitzi and Jennifer might have nailed it. The three most important things are acting confident..( not the nervous looking around ect) and I am sure you do not do that....you have been out plenty. Dressing for the occasion. ( not wearing clubbing clothes to the mall ect) and I can see that is not an issue the third is the wig. Very important
to look natural and not wig like.........and if it is older it might need replaced. Please do not let this detour you....it is just a bump in the road.All the girls gave you great advice....please do not beat yourself up over this and continue to be yourself and enjoy.

Stargirl
01-31-2008, 02:29 PM
You look fine. You didn't do anything "wrong". People who are jerks are so silly when they target crossdressers. I agree about the wig. You deserve a new one for day time. The one you are wearing would be great for a club. You have a lot of support here. I am so glad that we help one another. I am a GG but I am an honorary sister, Aunt, friend to each of you. You help keep me feminine, upbeat, and young. Hugs

karynspanties
01-31-2008, 02:59 PM
Honestly, and I am not trying to be an a!#hole, because I know I do not pass, but I looked at your pics and I saw a man dressed as a woman. The vast majority of us think we look good (I know I think I do when enfemme),but the reality is that we look like men dressed as women. Sorry, but that's the truth. I have been to bars during crossdresser nights, and though most do look very good, there are very few that can actually pass. We are not women, our bodies are not built like womens. For instance, in one picture your forearms are showing. Well....those are a mans forearms and could never pass as a womans. Facial features, mens are differant, they are more squared off and chiseled. Womens are more rounded and soft. Skin texture has alot to do with it too. As I said, I am not trying to hurt yours or anyone elses feelings, but facts are facts. If we go out, we will get read. It's all part of crossdressing. Just my :2c:

deja true
01-31-2008, 03:10 PM
I agree with all that the girls have said, but I too think Jen said it first. Some good advice from Renee Reyes (a terrific website) revolves around the whole package being "age-appropriate". And I think your blond locks might be a little too 'Drew Barrymore' for the rest of your presentation. Most older gg's tend to have shorter hair for the ease of taking care of it. Try a shorter cut like a modified shag and maybe in a different color, a more real color like dark blond or auburn. You'll note on the street that ladies of a certain age generally do not dye their hair yellow-blond. Also, a shag can be styled to curve in a bit under the chin, helping to make your neck look a little thinner.

Not trying to be critical, but I'm much happier with myself in my short dark do than I was with the blond rag I started with.

Respect & Love

deja

joann07
01-31-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Suzy,

You look fine.
Just need to do a little fine tuning with a few things which the girls previously mentioned.
I know its tough and you feel that you're you're alone out there, but the girls have made some good observations.
Just keep practicing and don't let anyone get to you.
Don't give those people the satisfaction by reacting because that's what they want.
Keep your head up by ignoring it and be confident in yourself.

Hugs!

Bobby Anne
01-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Getting read is half the fun. Otherwise I would be one more dull woman to add to the pile.

Nicole Erin
01-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Hmmm OK, here are my thoughts -
For the looks, while I love the wig, it might be a little younger than you would need to wear. That might give it away. Otherwise you look good.

Now for the akward thing to figure out -

When people first start doing anything, they are really careful about how they go about it. At first you were probably very particular about your mannerisms and walk and whatever. But as you got more comfy, you may have gotten careless about your act. Now I don't KNOW this I am assuming.
Sometimes when people get OVER confident, they get careless. Did that happen to you? If acting femme does not come natural, you may need to pay a bit more attention. I don't know, I have never seen you in person...

Now for the "read" thing. We have all talked about passing and such. Sometimes people may know we are CD but just not say anything. Sometimes people like to make a scene. This may have just been an unlucky day for you.
I know I have had good and bad days of passing or at least not hearing anything. One time I was out and got more laughs than a bearded lady at the circus.

But dont worry, whatever is wrong can be fixed. Your looks are good, you just need a wig more befitting of your age if you are to go out and better pass. Of course if possible, try it on in person while made up.

Kristen Marie
01-31-2008, 05:58 PM
For this past year I struggled with wigs. Not only just the color, but also the look and feel of it. I am really happy with the one I have now and I've received so many compliments on it I have to wonder what my old ones looked like. A friend of mine got a new blond wig with some black roots and she looks AMAZING and she looked great before.

I would try out that next, especially since it seems to be affecting your confidence......

Alisa
01-31-2008, 06:03 PM
Suzy,
I have to agree with Nicki. It's ok to look at stills but the video camera tells the real story. Walking is the hardest I think.

Love,
Alisa

Ps. This link has been very helpful.

http://www.biomotionlab.ca/Demos/BMLwalker.html

MJ
01-31-2008, 06:14 PM
hi Suzy
i can't see anything wrong with your look . maybe your trying too hard
and you know for a year you had it good maybe it's your time to go through some self esteem building time . and yes i have had my share . you look fine a little neat and tidy . just keep doing what your doing don't let it bother you . you always look great

slamddoger
01-31-2008, 06:17 PM
have you thougt about makeing anpoment to a wig shope for new wig .and to make up place to show new make up that would look good on you

KatGRL774
01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Quite honestly, I would have read you too. I don't know if that's because I've seen so many CD's on websites (or because I am one) - but that face shot would have me scratching my head if I saw you in public...

First - you are a man, so you're fighting against reality here to try and create an illusion. The thing for me that 100% tips my brain into saying, "something's not quite right" is the hair. It looks quite obviously fake, too blonde, not the right texture.. etc. If you could find a wig that looked totally real on you then you would probably break that barrier into "passable".

Your face isn't bad, your makeup looks good - but that hair invites the mind to question everything else. Good luck..

~Kat

darla_g
01-31-2008, 06:32 PM
you know i do agree with several of the points made earlier. i asked my wife for a GG opinion and she pointed out a few things. Now keep in mind (and i think this goes for everyone that has given you feedback that all of this intended to be constructive and helpful to you for your goals)

Her point was that the mannerisms in your pictures are very exaggerated and not particularly ladylike. The wig could be a little bit bet styled as well. If you are out in public are you reserved or more demonstrative? these are things that may draw excessive attention to yourself and then people start really examining you and finding fault. But she did add this is no different from a woman for instance that is clearly overweight and wearing something either too young or too tight for her body. Similar type of reaction.

From my standpoint you look 100 times better than me, but then again i am not trying to make my way out in public. I think you;ve got yourself really upset now and a lot of it is your criteria. It;s not like you judge whether its a complete success or failure by incidences like you mentioned. Sure you were unhappy about some of the reactions, but inside weren't you happy you just did it? I think you should take this as a learning experience and really assess what you want from your dressing and your appearance.

Good luck and keep posting your adventures! It seemed like in your previous posts that you seemed to be enjoying yourself soo much! Don't let that stop.

Aeslyn
01-31-2008, 07:02 PM
As for the comment made :thumbsup: !! Salandra was right. I'd would look at the "real man" remark more as a compliment than anything whether the guy meant it that way or not. It does take guts to go out dress. I'll admit that most of the people on here have more guts than even I (the big ex-rugby playing navy boat driver) have and I truly admire them for it.

But what is so important about "passing" and why? Isn't "passing" lying. You aren't really a woman so when you make others think you are then haven't you lied.
This thought has actually brought up a major question for me and I think I might post on it.

Truthfully, just be who you are cause that is more beautiful than anything you are not.

docrobbysherry
01-31-2008, 07:21 PM
I probably have more wigs than shoes! (Anyone believe that?) Some wigs just look WRONG with some of Sherry's outfits and looks. But great with others! I usually can't tell at the time, looking in the mirror. But I can by looking at her pics later. Don't feel bad. There's plenty of GG's walking around that have no clue either!
RS

Nicki B
01-31-2008, 07:34 PM
But honestly, very, very few people pass 100% all the time.. And most of them are on hormones and have their own hair.. :sad: Please, don't obsess about passing? . .

Holly
01-31-2008, 07:55 PM
Where are you going wrong? Letting other people decide of you are having a good time or if you belong. Suzy, you have a perfect right to go where you want, do what you want and wear what you want. Do you know what I notice in your pics? The sparkle in your eyes just isn't there. Honey, crank up that attitude; you're a fine person, worthy of respect, and proud of who you are. Now, go have some fun!

Wendi {LI NY}
01-31-2008, 08:16 PM
Hi Hon,
Listen passing is so overrated,but the word you are looking for is blending with other ggs. What are they wearing ? Slacks + blouse maybe ? Sometimes the chothes we wear give us away . Mind you I love a nice skirt and blouse but if I am out in the daytime ,I wear what most ggs are wearing not dress or skirts ,but slacks and blouse . Age appropriate chothing and make-up is a must. I do agree with Dee,It is time to get a wig that blends with your look and age .I do like your wig ,but it may make you stand out?
Hugs Wendi
SOrry ,It is only my opinion.:2c:

Jennaie
01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
It's very difficult as others have said to critique someone from a couple of pics.

I do think the hair is "Too Blond" for you. I would try a darker shade of blond. I agree that perhaps a wig that is a bit shorter may help as well.

Remember to "look up" when your walking, holding your chin up and having a constant big smile on your face.

I agree with others that the very best thing you can do is have someone video you so that you can study yourself and see where you need improvement.

learning how shade and highlight with makeup is also very helpful.

Always dress your age and the same as most the other women where you go.

Good luck.

deja true
01-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Suzy Please get back in touch here. We know you're feeling down, but none of us want to hurt you.

I realize it's probably some very weird late hour in Aussie-land, but we'll all keep checking back to hear from you.

Truth only hurts for little bit. Lies hurt forever. Believe me, I know.

Please sister,tell us you're okay.

Respect & Love

deja

Angie G
01-31-2008, 08:41 PM
You look fine to me hun :hugs:
Angie

Julogden
01-31-2008, 09:49 PM
I know someone is going to say passing isn’t everything – but it sure beats being embarrassed in the middle of the high street ......

Hi Suzy,

Here's my :2c:.

Yep, you're right, I'm going to say it, passing isn't everything. For years, I was a member of 2 support groups, went to the meetings and social activities, hung out in clubs where lots of CD's hung out, I've seen hundreds of MTF CD's up close and in person, and I've seen maybe 2 or 3 who were pretty much passable, and they had undergone electrolysis (didn't have much beard to begin with), used their own long hair, had a naturally slender, female shape, weren't too tall and at least one was on prescription hormones. There may have been cosmetic surgery involved too. Actually, calling them CD's may not be totally accurate, most CD"s don't go the extremes that they did to look female.

And I've met non-passable CD's who go out in public anyway who were as happy as can be, the same as many here. They don't pass, but they're tolerated, which I feel is better than passing. Doesn't meant that going out in public when you're not passable is easy to do, I can't bring myself to do it, but it's what needs to be done if we want to let the world know we're here and that there's nothing to fear. TS's are a different subject entirely, but I've known TS's who weren't passable either, but it didn't stop them.

It's impossible to judge whether someone is passable from just a photo. Yes, in some cases, a photo will tell if someone is really NOT passable, but it's possible to look really good in a photo and not be remotely passable, so posting a photo here and asking if one is passable is a big waste of time, IMO. We can all suggest how to refine your looks, but we can't tell how you carry yourself, whether your voice is feminine or if you speak in a feminine manner, whether your body English and mannerisms are feminine, etc., there's a lot involved in passing.

About all you can do is make sure that everything is as good as you can make it without going crazy, and then get out there like you have been doing. Your time would be better spent working on accepting that you're going to be clocked on occasion than worrying about why you can't pass 100% of the time.

All that said, some things are a bit more important than others when trying to pass. Hair, face and voice are probably 80-90% of the equation, from what I've seen. The other stuff is important, but if your hair and face look very female and your voice sounds female, most people will overlook a lot of other things.

Anyway, regarding your situation, the main thing I would suggest is what some others have picked up on, your wig could be better, as it looks a bit wiggish. If you don't know how to style it, take it to a salon that does wig styling.

You already know that you are capable of going out in public and doing just fine, so get back on the horse and have fun again dear!:happy:

Carol :hugs:

Michelle (Oz)
01-31-2008, 09:51 PM
Hello Suzy
I was over in Perth 2 weeks ago and spent a very pleasant day en femme with my wife at the Carousel Shopping Mall before returning to the East. We helped the WA economy a little too. Sadly, Burswood Casino (again en femme) didn’t help my finances either.
I have followed your adventures with great interest and, to an extent, a little jealousy in that you have the capability of passing somewhat more than me. Given the heartache that you now feel about getting read, I think that my lack of ability to pass has put me in a better place. I am constantly read but have the confidence not to worry about it. In fact, I have only had two bad reactions in more than 100 outings, neither of which was embarrassing.
As Bobby Anne said, getting read is half the fun. Face reality and enjoy it. If you aren’t concerned about being read then you will be much more relaxed and let the fun follow. At the same time, I enjoy being totally femme and try hard to look good and walk femme though I haven’t worried about the voice to date.
An alternative to passing is to blend but again that limits your scope for wearing what you want to wear. I’m 57 but I recently purchased a long layered brown wig and wear it with strappy tops and skirts an inch or two above my knees. This is how I dressed at the Perth Mall. I love the look and the feel of the hair on my shoulders and back, and the sun and breeze. I know that I am attracting more attention resulting in more people reading me but I accept that trade-off since I like the look and the reactions of the public really are good. I do pick the occasion though and, for example, will be more conservative in dress when flying over the next 2 weeks.
The bottom line is to enjoy the honesty of not passing and be freed from the fear of being read. Hope this makes sense.
Michelle (Oz)

Celeste
01-31-2008, 11:31 PM
Hi suzy,I think you look fine,every time I see your avatar I think it looks great to.Two things I can think of are, in your avatar and your close up, the wig is pulled down real snug and looks fine,then in the pic with the pants it seems to be riding up in the back slightly,maybe this happened the other day.I also liked the dress better,kind of a snugger fit,anyway I admire you a lot for stepping out even though their are the lingering jerks here and there,its a challenge not to let them stay in your thoughts.

Kate Simmons
02-01-2008, 02:54 AM
Suzy, I looked at those pics you posted again and I will say again, you look fine. I get a great deal of joy and happiness for you when I read about your adventures en femme and I know you enjoy it. The important thing is have fun being yourself. The reaction from the public is the least of my concern. They are such "front runners" to begin with.

Even good looking celebrities get "panned" all the time, especially when they go to some function and some "critic" picks apart their appearance and what they wore. What do they care anyway? They are rich and swimming in money and the same people who agree with the critics will not stop watching the movies they make or watching them model clothes on the runway. We are "rich" in a different way and are admired for our boldness and willingness to be ourselves regardless of all the hoopala. We inspire that boldness in others which is really nothing to sneeze at because it shows we are not afraid to be ourselves and we show what we are really made of.

Being an individual takes guts no matter what one does. For myself, that is what doing this is all about and the fact that it is totally my choice makes it all the better. As much as "normal" people criticize what we do, there is one thing that cannot be argued. The world is a little bit prettier every time we go out and do this and that is our claim to "fame". Think about that.:happy:

Genifer Teal
02-01-2008, 05:57 AM
From reading your post it became obvious you are concentrating too much on passing. Do your best to act female and the rest will come. My attitude is if their first thought is - Hey that's a man - I want their second thought to be - Maybe, but he/she looks good. You need the confidence to work what you got and not care what others think.

When I saw the pics my first thought was - no real problem here. Your choice of clothes is good. Their fit is appropriate. One thing that did strike me a bit is the wig. Some girls here seem to agree. I don't know if styling could help. Maybe the color - while nice - is too striking. I would try a different color that is more age appropriate.

It's like following GPS directions. You are headed in the right general direction, just a little off track. Once you recompute a new path, you will get there. You are doing just fine!

Hugs - Genifer

Nicki B
02-01-2008, 06:59 AM
I'm a bit worried that so many people are mentioning Suzy's hair - of course being blonde will get you looked at, but the idea that a few cm's adjustment here or there will make you passable is a bit, well.... People usually make up their minds on the whole package, at a distance? Like I & others said, you can't tell from a still photo..

And there are plenty of women of a similar age to Suzy out there, wearing their hair bright blonde, even some wearing wigs - why should you have to dress dowdily, if you don't feel it? :strugglin

And I've met non-passable CD's who go out in public anyway who were as happy as can be, the same as many here. They don't pass, but they're tolerated, which I feel is better than passing. Doesn't meant that going out in public when you're not passable is easy to do, I can't bring myself to do it, but it's what needs to be done if we want to let the world know we're here and that there's nothing to fear. TS's are a different subject entirely, but I've known TS's who weren't passable either, but it didn't stop them.

There's a difference, isn't there, between 'passing' and being 'passable'? :)

and there's a balance too, between 'blending' and not expressing yourself as you want the world to see you? ;)

All that said, some things are a bit more important than others when trying to pass. Hair, face and voice are probably 80-90% of the equation, from what I've seen. The other stuff is important, but if your hair and face look very female and your voice sounds female, most people will overlook a lot of other things.

IMHO voice is only a few percent - get the other things right and people will discount what they hear, when they get up close, unless it's totally discordant and grates..

Suzy Harrison
02-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Thank you all so much for reading my thread and for your replies.

Nicki B
02-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Mlle Erin made a good point about after a while getting relaxed being out - and loosing concentration as far as mannerisms and ‘the walk’ is concerned. I think it’s possible as I do normally feel fairly relaxed out there, so I might not be keeping an eye on my female walk.

IMHO, relaxing is a good thing? Lose the learned male mannerisms, definitely, but putting on female mannerisms will look just that - put on? :hmmm:

Simply get used to walking with your palms facing slightly forward - that changes the whole set of your arms, hips and shoulders, by changing your elbow angle? (Try it in the mirror, see what I mean) :)

Mitch23
02-01-2008, 12:12 PM
I have a similar hair issue. the wig i have at the moment I love, but I am aware that it is a bit 'bright' and may draw attention to me. I've also been out a few times drab and wearing unusual clothing like my fave woolly hat and I picked up on several glances and some comments and sniggers that i thought were directed at mw but probably were not. People do this for all sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with the 'tranny radar' which is usually in our own heads anyway. I like a bit of comment and banter anyway - it would be so boring if no-one took any notice!

Mitch

Julogden
02-01-2008, 06:08 PM
IMHO voice is only a few percent - get the other things right and people will discount what they hear, when they get up close, unless it's totally discordant and grates..
Hi Nicki,

Not looking for a fight, but I strongly and respectfuly disagree with that. I've known TS's who were completely passable in all respects except voice, and they were consistently clocked because they didn't sound quite right. Voice is VERY important if you want to pass.

Carol

SherriePall
02-01-2008, 06:33 PM
Suzy -- I know I'm joining this fray a little bit into it, but I have to ask, are you really sure you were clocked? Were the guys at the coffee shop talking about you or someone else (either passing by or someone they know)? Was the guy smiling and almost laughing, smiling because of you? He could have been thinking of something funny or just heard something which brought the smile to his face. Unfortunately, I have done that at the most inappropriate times (while listening to someone's misfortunes, for instance).
We often are so self-conscious that we automatically assume that the actions of others are about us. Kind of paranoid.
Whatever, keep your chin up, go out and have fun.

jennifer41356
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
I think you would look very cute with an auburn hair color,
in that last pic, your makeup looks great and you have a cute face....dont let it get you down:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Jennaie
02-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I think you would look very cute with an auburn hair color,
in that last pic, your makeup looks great and you have a cute face....dont let it get you down:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Honestly, I can't really tell what hair color would look best on you but I do know this, For myself, I found that my natural hair color was a good place to start.

bemusedwife
02-03-2008, 06:07 PM
Suzy,

I think you are a very brave person, good for you dear.

Julie

Dita_B
02-04-2008, 07:03 PM
Hello Suzy... I have not been on the forum for a while and I am sorry I missed your thread...

I have read all the posts and there is some really good advise here IMHO... especially concerning attitude.

I respectfully do not necessarily agree with the wig issue though... I think you should wear what you feel great in and if it is blond combined with micro mini, so be it...

However, you will attract more attention, and if you have a weak point in your defenses in regard to being read, perhaps it is time to perform a review of the way you present yourself... Being clocked is part of the game, so if you want to reduce your exposure, tame down your looks a bit and you'll see things will change immediately...

Now, if you don't want to adjust your looks, you'll have to adjust your attitude against unwelcome comments. I have calculated that I have been out in public over the last year more than 150 times for at least 4 hours at a time in full public view, not in my car but walking the Malls among other people in the peak hours... And as you know, I am 6' - 2" on my bare feet and I walk on my high heeled boots as much as I possibly can... (They start to hurt after 4 hours straight)...

So I know I don't pass all the time, despite the fact that I pay extreme attention to my mannerisms... But my bad experiences I can count on my two hands... My worst experience was lately when I walked out of the Mall in the down town core on a Saturday afternoon and a group of young guys came up the stairs while I was going down, and they started saying: "that is a man"... And than when they had passed me, they shouted from behind echoing all through the mall: " A GUY!!!" ...

You know what? I couldn't care less... Of course I cared, but I was not going to let them ruin my experience out there. So I calmly continued getting down the stairs on my stiletto heels without slipping and walked calmly out into the street. And I think nobody cared, because I didn't notice anyone taking offense because of me, perhaps the only offense was against the shouting by itself...

I think attitude is everything. I have learned that in the clubs I have been and observed the drag queens attitudes... People prey on your weaknesses and you communicate yours with your attitude as well... When you show yourself strong and self assured, chances for harassments diminish as rapid as snow in the sun...

I react normally to stares and comments as I would react in drab... when they stare, I stare back and when they comment, I comment back... But it depends on the situation, I am not going to get into a discussion with some rowdy guys in a packed Mall on a Saturday afternoon...

So in resume, in my opinion, I still think you look like a drop dead gorgeous, your wig is fine and you should keep up the good work. Don't let a few bad experiences ruin your day, just focus on all the good ones and the successes you had...

:love: Dita.

Nicole Erin
02-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Suzy, first of all, don't despair about this.
You know the only thing that was really off was maybe the blonde wig. But that is easily fixable.
I think you look more nautural with curly brown hair.

Gyod you look better than I do, which may not be saying much but anyways...

The things that may have gotten you read are probably all fixable.
We have all seen CD/TS who will just look like men no matter what but you are not one of them.
Did it ever cross your mind that maybe that guy recognised you from a time he may have seen you in drab? Or, just maybe, he thought you were HAWT and was checking out the fine looking lady quite close. I imagine even though he "read" you, he STILL thinks "what a fine looking woman!" ;)

I think you are wanting to go run and hide a little too quickly. I know you are hurt cause god yes it does hurt to get read. But don't get so discouraged.

Suzy Harrison
02-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I now think I know where I went wrong the other day and it also explains how I seem to pass face to face in shops, but not at a distance in the street.

It's the walk.......

Today I set up my video camera and took many videos of my walk. I also remembered back to that day when I was walking past the coffee shop with all those guys sitting outside. I had felt a little nervous at the time and exaggerated the swaying hips just a little. Well on camera that exaggeration comes across quite badly - and it's this I believe that got me read.

It's funny because looking at the videos, I find I walk much better in heels than flat shoes.....

tamarav
02-12-2008, 01:21 PM
Since we have to co-exist with all the other people out there, we sometimes feel uncomfortable because we read into the situation our own discomfort.

Hold your head up and star in your own show. I have people come into my salon daily, half never figure me out the other half start the immediate big ass smile that says, "you are a guy in a dress". I smile back because they are in my domain, not theirs. Pick your own domain, keep it as safe as possible and have fun.

The fool smiling might have been a deeply closeted CD who was saying to himself, damn, gotta get home and dress.

Your sis, through thick and thin,

Tami

Nicki B
02-12-2008, 01:47 PM
It's funny because looking at the videos, I find I walk much better in heels than flat shoes.....

Heels do that.. :) Watch how genetic women in slacks and flats walk?

Lissa
02-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Firstly i have to say that I have never gone out dressed fully except for under things and what not so i give you all alot of credit who do. I hope to someday soon go out but i know i will not pass so I need to find a suport group or place where it will be excepted. If any of you can help with that i would apreciate it. Anyway here is my point as long as it doesnt efect your job or family I woulnt worry about it much. My reason for not dressing all the time is my kids, and the fact that I am self employed in construction and it would destroy my business. Sometimes i want to just get a job where noone knows me and go somewhere were I can be me all the time male or fem but it is imposable we need my income. So my point is be glad that you can do as much as you do sone of us cant and we want to. :sad::sad: someday i hope to find a safe place to dress and express my fem side. lissa darn cant get spell check to work!