PDA

View Full Version : hormone timeline?

Micha
02-02-2008, 04:27 PM
Hello all! its been awhile since ive been here -too long. anyway, i started hormones a week ago, and aside from being a little more sane/calm, i am EXTREMELY curious to hear from others who are more advanced in the hormone timeline. i am wondering when yall started noticing changes, and not this official doctors timeline stuff. everything i read says "1-6 months you feel/look this way" . im looking for a little more detailed info, like when was the first time you noticed ANYTHING? its only been 5 days, but i think my nipnips feel tingly - am i insane, just hoping to feel something already, or what ladies, lay it on me, i want to know everything im going to feel everyday for the first 2 months! lol! really any info would be helpful, and id 'preciate it greatly

thanx all!
~Katy Greeneyes

GypsyKaren
02-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Everyone is effected differently, just like with any medication, so just relax, take your time, and let it happen.

Karen Starlene :star:

melissaK
02-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Everyone is effected differently, just like with any medication, so just relax, take your time, and let it happen.

Ditto. The 'breast fairy' takes her own sweet time . . . And while you're awaiting her, note your mood changes too. I think a lot of us have noted some mood swings or irritability going on or off HRT.

hugs,
'lissa

natasha
02-03-2008, 12:51 AM
I have read so many stories about how everybody feels and acts much more calmer. Is it because of the relief of finally getting to that point or is it because of the loss of T? Of course I would like to start hormones myself to become who i am inside but becoming more calm would be a definate plus.

melissaK
02-03-2008, 01:17 AM
I have read so many stories about how everybody feels and acts much more calmer. Is it because of the relief of finally getting to that point or is it because of the loss of T? Of course I would like to start hormones myself to become who i am inside but becoming more calm would be a definate plus.

I can't speak for the transmen, but transwomen report a major calmness when either E is taken or T is suppressed. The calmness is a reference to an absence of crossdressing anxieties, obsessive thoughts of cross dressing, related panic disorders and related depression.

It was this way for me. For the first time in maybe my entire life, the anxiety about wanting to crossdress or have SRS was completely gone. Not just put out of my mind by staying busy at work or a hobby or a chore - but really gone.

And I went off hormones and it all came back. And it hurt. And I went back on hormones, and it went away.

Some therapists believe the only effective treatment for gender disphoria and related anxiety issues is a program that includes cross sex hormones. (See, for example Anne Vitale's site and papers).

However, I have run into some girls on the board here who report they have lived a cross-gendered role in both dress and social roles, without any hormones or SRS and they claim they are content. I am not sure they had severe anxieties to begin with though, so perhaps what the therapists are referring to are different presentations of the problems.

If you are thinking of hormones for anxiety relief, go see a therapist for a few months first so you sort out your anxieties. They may originate from another unrelated condition - or be worsened by another unrelated condition. I think it was the famous transexual doctor turned tennis player Renee Richards who said try Xanax instead.

And as Karen pointed out above, hormones are different for everyone, and not to be taken lightly.

hugs,
lissa

Valeria
02-03-2008, 01:47 AM
I can't speak for the transmen, but transwomen report a major calmness when either E is taken or T is suppressed. The calmness is a reference to an absence of crossdressing anxieties, obsessive thoughts of cross dressing, related panic disorders and related depression.
Well, certainly not all trans women. Adding E and suppressing T certainly made me happy, but it had absolutely no impact on my inclination to dress as a member of my gender. But then, I didn't have obsessive thoughts about "crossdressing" or crossdressing anxieties beforehand.

It was this way for me. For the first time in maybe my entire life, the anxiety about wanting to crossdress or have SRS was completely gone. Not just put out of my mind by staying busy at work or a hobby or a chore - but really gone.

And I went off hormones and it all came back. And it hurt. And I went back on hormones, and it went away.
Taking estradiol and spironolactone didn't reduce my desire to have GRS one iota. When I went full time shortly after I started hormones, it merely confirmed for me that I was making the right decision and reinforced my desire to have surgery.

I have read in this forum similar reports to yours of people that have found that merely taking a testosterone blocker like spironolactone has killed their desires to crossdress (or otherwise pursue a transgendered lifestyle). I have not read such reports from people that have actually transitioned - while many people report that estrogen made them happier, none of the people I know that have been seriously pursuring transition have reported starting hormones as having dissuaded them.

Taking testosterone blockers did temporarily reduce my sex drive, though (now that I am post-op and on estradiol and progesterone, it has recovered nicely). In fact, that's the most obvious effect of taking a testosterone blocker - it reduces your sex drive. Whether or not that provides you with relief seems to vary widely.

GypsyKaren
02-03-2008, 02:32 AM
It was like Kehleyr said for me too, the main thing the hormones did for me was make me feel like I had the right blood inside me at last. It was never about clothes, transsexuals don't crossdress, we properly dress. I also never had any doubts or wavered about having my GRS, that was the icing on the cake for me and the best thing I've ever done.

Micha
02-04-2008, 12:53 PM
grr, i dont mean to offend any of you ladies, i appreciate the quick response- however nobody truly answered my posting. i want to know about your personal experience with hormones - when did you first notice anything at all from them etc. yes i said i was more calm - but not as a result of being on estrogen, more because i dont have to worry about that stage of my process anymore.

i guess what i really want to hear and get outa this thread is as i said before, those of you who have been on hormones for a month+ , when were your first changes noticed-physical or otherwise, (i know the "breast fairy" is busy and wont get to me for awhile, and i know it affects everyone differently).

thanx again for your input :)
~K

GypsyKaren
02-04-2008, 10:34 PM
It's really hard to say Micha, all of the changes came very gradually, they kinda snuck up on me. I suppose it was a couple of months or so when I first started noticing it, but I really wasn't paying that much attention to it because I was busy getting ready to have my SRS. I know of some who took a year before any real changes took place, that's why it's kinda pointless for everyone to give a time line, 20 people will give 20 different answers.

Lisa Golightly
02-05-2008, 03:48 AM
Hmmmmmm.... The 'breastache' started after about a month and half... nipple and breast growth after four... impotence around six, and I assume that'd include sterility too. Hope that helps.

helenr
02-05-2008, 11:17 PM
We all react so differently, don't we. I have been on spiro for most of a year. I am one who doesn't feel SRS is appropriate. The spiro has greatly eliminated the fetish stuff for me--there is a bit of a loss from the excitement of getting prettied up, and what ensues, but the time saved, the calmness,etc is a far greater situation. I did find the spiro and estrogen did produce some small girl titties--enough to cause me to stop, alas, the patch, though I may be one who needs the mental lift from them. Warning, if you are doing physical work regularly-like carrying stuff in your arms, watch out! super sensitive titties present! It can really hurt to bump against them. Frankly, that alone is enough of a deterrent for an agendered like me. What I truly don't comprehend is how testosterone is such an evil, creative hormone. Despite this 200 mg a day, I found, to my dismay, that a testosterone test indicates I am about 500 something-right in the middle of normal!Either spiro doesn't affect the total testosterone level or just the sexual libido. I don't want to go bonkers on meds at this stage of life (61) and just wish I could obtain an orchi,but you can't do that online. After being a frustrated TV now more TG,I think, or just an agender, I should get used to this status quo and live with it.
But a caveat for those who crave sweet titties--they grow and don't go back into a neat container like the Walgreens silicone jobs--if you want to grow and show, that's one thing, but as the expression goes---be careful what you wish for! helenr

tonette
02-06-2008, 12:31 AM
Has anyone tried and had any success with herbal homone treatments, specifically Evanesce and Feminole?
Tonette

stacie
02-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Herbals don't work save your money...
I have been on hrt for a little over three months now and have notice my skin is soft and creamy looking, I have breast growing and they are very tender, I did get some tenderness in my nipples the first night on hormones. I did feel normal after the first 24 hours. My hands and feet have a femm look to them and my body has started to take a more femm shape to it and my upper body muscle mass has shrank. And the last thing I cry a lot more over the little things..... It is different for everyone so the timeline your doctor gave you will help a lot, Plus it does take years for major changes to happen.

Anna the Dub
02-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I was on hormones for about 3 months before I noticed any breast tenderness. After about a year, I didn't really see any difference whatsoever. It was very disheartening. However, after I had an orchiectomy, changes really began to happen. I now have breasts (a proper A cup), body shape is very female too, skin is softer, I have lost a lot of muscle mass, legs thinner and smoother than before, arms too, 90% of my testosterone generated body hair has gone (except for lower legs and lower arms but these are weakening all the time), and my face has changed to a somewhat softer appearance, only slightly though. I have been on hormones now for quite a number of years. What they didn't do, however, is make one iota of difference to my facial hair. My electrologist has said to me though that when she zaps the hairs they really come out very easily. It may be faster for you, but it has taken me a long time to get where I am, and I still have a ways to go.

StephanieC
02-09-2008, 12:38 PM
As others have probably warned, everyone's experience will probably be different. But I think it's helpful to have feedback from others so you have some idea what is possible. But this is very much NOT a science.

First, some background. I'm not in any rush for development, and certainly not in the "upper half". Since I'm in my 50's, I didn't even know what was possible. But for some time, I've received complaints about my body as a guy...maybe people are using the wrong "baseline". So in early December, I decided to try herbals.

My regimen was two capsules twice a day. I have always tended to eat healthy so that continued plus I cut way back on the coffee (I cut waaaaay back). More water (which I previously distained).

By Christmas, I seemed to notice some change in the "upper half". Specifically, the difference between the measure at my nipples and the "band line" is 3 inches. Perhaps that is normal. But considering I haven't been able to workout in over 6 months and the fact that I don't do a whole lot of physical work, I had never noticed that before. But since that wasn't my objective (and the fact that as a guy I don't really notice those things), I discounted that. Plus the left is bigger than the right. I would think that muscle growth, if it was that, would be more balanced.

By the end of Dec, the hair on my legs, arms, chest, etc had grown soft. This I definitely realized because hair that regrew after shaving always used to chaff: not so this time. I also noticed my skin was softer. Even with hair, I could feel my skin was softer.

By mid Jan, I noticed my thighs had grown. How did I notice? When I put my legs together, the thighs were the first to hit. Ok, maybe it always did that. But I don't think so.

I now notice when my arms brush over my nipples in the shower. I never noticed that before.

During mid Jan-early Feb, it appears I'm at a plateau or things are just moving more slowly (or I'm trying to watch a tea pot boil).

Again, I don't know if my situation is atypical or typical. I don't even know if something is actually happening. But I think it is. And slow is a good pace for me. I understand GGs take up to 5 years to develop and that is ok if I follow that course.

This all gives me time to determine what I really want to do and for the world around me to adjust as I adjust.

I hope this helps.

Jennifer_G_2
02-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I have read in this forum similar reports to yours of people that have found that merely taking a testosterone blocker like spironolactone has killed their desires to crossdress (or otherwise pursue a transgendered lifestyle).

This should not be confusing, and a decent therapist would have told these people they are not transgender, but simply crossdressing out of sex drive/libido, and therefore would not have recommended hormones and/or T blockers, which indeed kill the MALE sex drive.

Here is a little hint my therapist told me, if you orgasm when crossdressed and "feel" like the desire is gone afterwards, the chances are very high that you are NOT transgender.

As a MTF TS, dressing as a male is what I consider crossdressed, as crossdressing is dressing as opposite gender, and my gender identify is female 100%.

Jen

Dalece
02-09-2008, 11:46 PM

Like Karen says, It might not show now but then all of a sudden it will take effect.

Jena11
02-10-2008, 09:45 AM
Everyone, this is good infromation, I am going to be starting Hormoes on Monday. I am not a person that likes to take any type of meds or drugs, but I need to do this. From talking with my doctor is is a slow process and most people get impatient. I am a very impatient person, but somehow with me starting my transition, I want to do what the doctor says and be healthy. It seems to work better for me doing these things slowing, I get use to it after a short time and then can focus on the next step. I figure since I am 40 and it has been a problem being a guy for that long that I can take whatever time is needed to be the woman that I want to be and hopefully find some happiness. I am planning on keeping a log when I start hormones to see for myself and my doctor how I progress. Jena.

StephanieC
02-10-2008, 10:32 AM
Jena, good luck on your journey.

I think there is one big advantage to taking things slow: people around you get a chance to adjust and you get a chance to adjust. One day you will just "notice" something different much like you might notice a hang-nail. How nice to have little "surprises".

The idea about keeping records is a great one. That way, you will know exactly that something is happening. I make this suggestion: take the measurements on a regular schedule, like every Friday, or something. Something to look forward to. And be aware of three things: 1) everyone is different 2) the body has a regular "rhythm"...a time of change, followed by a time of rest (plateau)...the timing is dependent on your genetic makeup 3) nature takes years to make changes. (GGs take five years or so to develop.)

Take your time and enjoy the journey. And if you're curious to know what's possible, look at the members of your family.
:happy:

melissaK
02-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Enjoyed the recent posts on this thread . . . despite it drifting from Micha's intended topic (Sorry Micha - I was one of the first to post and perhaps shift your threads intent. Online posting amazes me, we type one thing in a post, and everyone takes it different ways. It's like being in a Lit or philosophy class.)

So to try and answer Micha's intended post, the timeline question: my nipples got sensitive within a month. One day about 2 months in, I got bumped in the chest and yelped like a teenage girl - it was hard to explain that response away. Outwardly the nipples showed changes to my self critical eye within 2 months. It took four months for the changes to be worth comment by my SO. I had visible breasts - small but present. They look like maybe I used to lift weights and had some man boobs from it. I stopped there, (why's another thread).

I liked Jennifer G 2's comments about 'calming affect' and TS vs CDers. But, I must still be looking for a decent therapist then, because of the three I have invested a lot of time with over 25 years, none have pigeonholed me in such a manner. But, the comment is worth reflecting upon.

hugs,
'lissa

Micha
02-11-2008, 02:39 PM
thanx melisa for getting the topic back on track, and thanx to everone for their input (on the topic, or off it). i am a 25 year old m2f and i have been full time since early september 07. before then i was 75-80 percent since january 07 (because of work). i now have a job as a woman, almost have a boyfriend :) and nobody thinks or checks 2wice that im NOT a girl. i still have my male drivers license and it is funny when people check it -"this isnt you! oh my gosh it is!" lol! i feel fortunate thati am able to undertake this journey finally (i say finally, but i realize alot of folks wait a much longer time.) i only wish i could have been a little closer to puberty when i started hormones to take full advantage of a confused,changing body :).

i hve been on hormones for 2 weeks now, and i have just started the mood swings phase *sighs* i didnt think mood swings would happen so soon, but ill be happy getting home from work, then get pissed at something small and stupid for no reason (this doent happen often, a few times now).i think i probably am imagining other changes - my butt feels squishier, was it always so? i dont know! lol. thanx to everyone for theri input on this matter.

i have another question, but i will post a new thread for it, ciao!

Miss Tessa
02-25-2008, 07:54 PM
I started with Premarin.The old school yellow and purple oval pills. They worked fabulous and my breasts took off in the first week or two. I noticed a soreness in the breasts in the first 2 or 3 days I believe.