PDA

View Full Version : Food love it hate it - FtM Only Question

mistunderstood
02-05-2008, 12:43 AM
This is open to FTM'sonly please.
What is every ones favorite food and why?

Also do you have a healthy relationship with food(like do you eat right or do you pig out or not eat enough). :drink:

Cai
02-05-2008, 12:47 AM
I hate food. I hate what it does to my head. I hate the way I feel around it. I hate my inability to control myself - I either can't eat anything, or I have to eat everything.

I know it's not what you asked. But food and I aren't particularly good friends. I don't have favorites - I have food I'm allowed to eat.

mistunderstood
02-05-2008, 12:54 AM
No I was asking for the truth from every one. I am sorry food is a bad thing for you. I will keep you in my thoughts and wish that maybe that this might change for you. That is if you do not mind. Food is not fun for me some times too. For me I over eat.

DanielMacBride
02-05-2008, 12:58 AM
Wow...Me, I can't imagine NOT having a great relationship with food...I LOVE food :D Being vegan though I will not eat anything of animal origin, but that doesn't mean by any stretch that I am restricted to food that is not good!

If anything I have become MORE of a foodie since becoming vegan, because I also eat raw a lot and organic wherever possible, so have learned to appreciate good quality food :) I eat what My body tells Me I need to eat, so at the moment I am on something of a fruit kick because it's hot and sticky here and My body is telling Me I need to eat extra fruit (so fresh grapes, apricots, bananas, plums, nectarines, pineapple, mango and watermelon it is....)

My favourites.....hmmm...mushrooms of all types, dal, apricots, mangoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli....lol I even like brussels sprouts :D There is really no vegan food that I don't like at all - I will eat damn near anything if it's edible and animal-friendly ;)

My favourite not-so-healthy food would have to be the garlic mash I posted the recipe for on another thread (although the Guinness and Mushroom Pie is to DIE for)...I eat pretty much anything I want, but my trick is everything in moderation, if I want french fries I eat them, but only enough to satisfy the craving, then I go back to eating My regular vegan fare :) In the past I have been known to skip breakfast in favour of a cup of coffee if I was in a hurry, but I do try now to make an extra effort to take care of My body by eating regularly and eating the right kinds of foods :)

Daniel

Cai
02-05-2008, 01:01 AM
I wish it would change too. Sometimes. Other days I just beat myself up over it - why go through all the emotional pain to still be fat? (Logically, I know it's not true, I'm not fat, but...)

Alright, here's something nicer but on topic. One of my favorite things to eat (which I enjoy and doesn't send me into a guilt spiral) is whole wheat crackers with spicy mustard. :happy: My roommate thinks it's absolutely disgusting. :p

mistunderstood
02-05-2008, 01:05 AM
I will have to tell my room mate about the mustard and cracker thing. She will like that to.

DanielMacBride
02-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Alright, here's something nicer but on topic. One of my favorite things to eat (which I enjoy and doesn't send me into a guilt spiral) is whole wheat crackers with spicy mustard. :happy: My roommate thinks it's absolutely disgusting. :p

Mustard = GOOOOOOD *nomnomnomnom*.... :D

Daniel

Abraxas
02-05-2008, 01:12 AM
Okay, first off, a question to Daniel-- I've never tried brussels sprouts, but I've always been curious about them. What do they taste like and how do you cook them?

As for me... I usually tend to like healthy food better than junk food, but it's extremely rare that I get to cook it or go to a nice restaurant. I don't really like candy or cakes, ice cream, chocolate, anything like that. I'll have chips on occasion, but I usually eat Sun Chips rather than Lays or whatever. I just think they taste better.

I'd have to say my favourite food is Ahi tuna. I also love corned beef (and reubens).
And I love spicy food-- buffalo wings, jalapeno burgers (I love Fuddruckers' jalapeno burger. Yummmm), etc.
And Greek food. Gyros with fried mushrooms and baklava... Mmmm. And Persian food.

I have to say, though, that I do have a weak spot for pizza. I will eat pizza at any time. And I do love fried chicken. The only desserts I really like are Thai mango and sweet rice, and Creme Brulee. Mmmmmm.

I love fruit, and most vegetables (can't stand any kind of squash, though. It's a texture thing).

My relationship with food is odd. Sometimes I'll go all day, forgetting to eat because I just don't get hungry. Other days I'll be ravenous and eat everything in sight. Most days, I eat only a meal or two-- I can't eat very much in one sitting, though. It's like, even if I'm still hungry my body will tell me 'okay, that's enough.' Which is really annoying if I'm eating something I really like. So I don't know exactly what that's about.

Damn, now I'm really hungry. Mmm. I have vegetarian corn dogs in the freezer. :D Snack time!

Abraxas
02-05-2008, 01:14 AM
Ooh! I forgot something.
Sweet potato fries. They're SO much better than french fries. I wish fast food places sold them...

DanielMacBride
02-05-2008, 01:31 AM
Okay, first off, a question to Daniel-- I've never tried brussels sprouts, but I've always been curious about them. What do they taste like and how do you cook them?

What do they taste like....hmm, brussels sprouts LOL! Nah its kinda hard to describe, they are a little like cabbage but have more taste, and cook much softer when they are in a stew or soup. I have eaten them raw (but they are pretty much like slightly hotter cabbage that way), in stir fries (cut into sections so they cook fast enough), and boiled in a stew or soup (YUMMY). When they are part of a soup or stew they kind of disintegrate into the rest of it so they are not really obvious, but I like them anyway :) Dylan when he was small used to LOVE them, to the point where if we had stew with them in it, he would eat all the brussels sprouts and then say "I don't want my stew, it has no brussels sprouts in it!" LOL (to which the girls would all unanimously yell, "HERE! Have MINE!!!" and dump them into his bowl....) They are good with mash, too, I pile the mash onto a plate and top it with halved cooked brussels sprouts (I do still boil them for this but only till they are JUST tender, not till they are soggy). A bit of butter (well margarine) and pepper and they are great :)

The key with brussels sprouts is to NOT overcook them - I grew up hating them because they had always been boiled to within an inch of their lives and were incredibly soggy and tasteless, but as an adult have learned to cook them properly and to love them :)

Pre-vegan days, I LOVED sashimi tuna and sushi and ate LOTS of it, also used to eat a lot of doner kebabs with tabouli....come to think of it, I have always gravitated more towards healthy foods than junk, but I *do* have a killer sweet tooth - I LOVE chocolate (dark chocolate is best because it's not SO sweet and I can get vegan dark chocolate easily that is YUMMY, plus I can only eat a little bit at a time), and often make My vegan fudge to satisfy the craving for something sweet and chocolatey. But there again, I only have a small amount, just enough to keep the sugarmonster quiet ;)

Daniel

RevMoonSerpent
02-05-2008, 01:39 AM
This is a good questions. You made me think. :happy:

Food I love. Any type of chicken. My family keeps saying I eat so much of it that I'm going to turn into a chicken.

I do have an unhealthy relationship with food. I eat way too much and I just crave chocolate all of the time.

Abraxas
02-05-2008, 01:41 AM
Hmmm. I kind of figured they'd be like cabbage. I'll have to grab one next time I go to the store and try it. Do you peel them first?

Ooh. Another sweet thing I like, is flavoured honey that comes in little plastic straws. You squeeze it out one end directly into your mouth. It's delicious. Comes in a bunch of fruit flavours, as well as stuff like liquorice and mint. And honey's healthy, too (in small quantities). :happy:

And, I love broccoli (raw with some ranch dressing especially) and steamed carrots.

DanielMacBride
02-05-2008, 01:53 AM
I don't peel them unless the outer leaves are particularly icky looking (black spots or going yellow or anything like that) but that's a matter of personal taste, if I am going to use them in a stir fry I will take off the first two or three leaves just till I get to the fresher ones underneath :)

I don't eat honey, but I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE maple syrup....I buy the real, organic stuff and I use everywhere I would normally use honey (and a lot in baking, too instead of regular sugar). I am pretty sure I could just drink it out of the bottle, I love it that much :D

And raw broccoli with hot garlic dip is MY favourite way to eat broccoli (hot garlic dip is just soy sour cream with raw garlic crushed into it) :) Quick, easy and YUM.

Daniel

C.J.
02-05-2008, 02:05 AM
I HATE food. HATE.

The only reasons I eat -

1. Because I have to or else I'll get my butt kicked by my fiance. He makes sure I eat.

2. Food tastes too f***ing good to stay away from it for too long.

I always end up eating too much or too little. :sad:

Usually I pig out, then I go on a "must eat less" mindset and lapse into near-starvation portion sizes for a while...Then, I crave food...and pig out...then eat too little again...It's a cycle. I'm trying to get to a "happy medium".

- C.J.

durden
02-05-2008, 02:58 AM
I've always had problems when it came to making sure I ate enough throughout my day. Eating just never seems to be a top priority for me, which is obviously a bad thing. I don't really have any weight to spare, so my habit causes me to be lighter than I'd like. Right now I'm about 164 & I'm 5'10". But since the new year, I've self-promised to try & eat / eat healthy. So far I've been doing really well, eating at the key points throughout the day. I want to put on more muscle, so the better the better I am w/keeping up w/a good diet, the easier it'll be fore me to bulk up. & as far as favorite foods go, I love steak, vegetables [almost all kinds really] Mexican food, beer [cuz it's a food you know :D] & chili.

DanielMacBride
02-05-2008, 03:29 AM
Right now I'm about 164 & I'm 5'10". But since the new year, I've self-promised to try & eat / eat healthy. So far I've been doing really well, eating at the key points throughout the day. I want to put on more muscle, so the better the better I am w/keeping up w/a good diet, the easier it'll be fore me to bulk up. & as far as favorite foods go, I love steak, vegetables [almost all kinds really] Mexican food, beer [cuz it's a food you know :D] & chili.

Wow I'm the same height as you and I'm 69kg/about 152lb. I was quite a bit lighter in girlmode (my standard weight was about 60kg/132lb) but I like having a bit of extra meat on My bones now, and hopefully once I get T I will bulk up a bit more and lose a little bit of the padding I have around the middle and the rear LOL :heehee:

And beer is *definitely* a food....especially Guinness, My friends and I have a running joke because I love Guinness and they don't, that there is a blended cow in every pint (because it is so dark and thick), although that would mean it wasn't vegan :eek: :drink: :heehee:

Daniel

durden
02-05-2008, 03:52 AM
I dunno, maybe we are in a normalish weight bracket for our height. I've never looked it up, but I know a healthy weight range for guys can be crazy sometimes. Like [for example] somewhere in between 140-175 could still be considered healthy. I'll have to look up the specifics though.

Heh. A blended cow in every pint, huh? That's funny. Everyone always tells me that I'm crazy for drinking motor oil basically. It's a good thing that my car doesn't run on Guinness or else I'd be unscrewing the caps & snagging that stuff w/a straw. :D

Wow I'm the same height as you and I'm 69kg/about 152lb. I was quite a bit lighter in girlmode (my standard weight was about 60kg/132lb) but I like having a bit of extra meat on My bones now, and hopefully once I get T I will bulk up a bit more and lose a little bit of the padding I have around the middle and the rear LOL :heehee:

And beer is *definitely* a food....especially Guinness, My friends and I have a running joke because I love Guinness and they don't, that there is a blended cow in every pint (because it is so dark and thick), although that would mean it wasn't vegan :eek: :drink: :heehee:

Daniel

Abraxas
02-05-2008, 04:40 AM
Huh. Okay. Around here (Utah), the produce is terrible. The outside layers of most things don't look terribly appetising, which is why I wondered. It's so great when I can go visit my grandma in California and get real fresh, locally-grown produce. The stuff you get here tastes like sand for the most part. :(
Which is why, if I go for fruit, I usually buy it in jars (not cans; I seem to be allergic to something in them). Tropical fruit especially. I never buy frozen because once I found a beetle in a bag of frozen raspberries and it put me off. Ew.

As for height-versus-weight, I'm also around 5'10" and weigh about 130-135. But I have very small bones (it's impossible to find watches that fit-- my wrists are only about 6" around). I'm about 10-15 pounds below the weight bracket for my height, according to the doctors, but I'm not really underweight. My ribs don't poke out or anything. I'd love to put on more muscle mass so I don't have such noodley arms :) I eat a lot of vegetarian frozen food, like the soy 'chicken' and 'burgers' and things, to get extra protein. Plus, they're yummy.

Guinness-- Could never abide the stuff, but then I'm not big on beer in general. I like a good heffeweisen once in awhile, though, or Amber Bock. Sometimes Killian's.

Tobie
02-05-2008, 05:58 AM
I missed a thread about food? That makes me a bad foodie..

Yes, I said it, I'm a foodie. I ADORE food, which probably explains my extra pounds. :heehee: I love looking at menus online, recipes online. Looking at the pictures in food magazines. I love to cook, and I loathe my tiny kitchen because I really don't have the space to create my masterpieces in it.

As for favourites.. I love beef. I like mah dead cow, in its many cooked forms.

Drake
02-05-2008, 09:45 AM
I like practically anything with beef in it. Greek food is so great. I'm so happy I'm half Greek. Pastitso... mmm...

As for sweets, well, I'm happy I don't really like them much. I hate most candy and I hate cake. I do like chocolate and cookies though. Homemade Chocolate chip cookies are my weakness.

Oh, and if you wanna make yourself hate something, eat large quantities of it for a few days and you won't want it anymore. I did that for Boston Cream donuts.:2c:

CaptLex
02-05-2008, 11:39 AM
This is kind of a tough subject for me too 'cause I have a love/hate relationship with food. I won't bore you with all the details, but I'll boil it down to the fact that I know what I'm supposed to avoid (starchy carbs, because of my diabetes) and I really can't. I'm a carbaholic - my body craves it like an addict craves crack, especially during the winter blues. But if I give in just a little, it won't satisfy the craving and can bring on a complete overdose. One little bagel will soon lead to a big bowl of pasta or something equally destructive. :doh:

Also, I need to have a large variety of things to eat, so even if I'm good and I eat right, I soon get so tired of all that healthy stuff and can't even look at it without getting nauseous. So I go back and forth between eating right and falling off the wagon. :p

Kieron Andrew
02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
I hate food, i eat cos its a necessity to stay alive, but rarely any foods satisfy me or make me feel like 'oh i must have that', sweet cakey things although are my weakness if im having a good food day mentally

oh and the hardest decision of my day is actually deciding what to eat, because food holds no interest to me, i tend to eat the same things over and over because im lacking in imagination to want to eat

ZenFrost
02-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Sushi. Because it's tasty and fun to make.

And my relationship with food is just peachy.

Taylor105
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
I'm not going to to get all long winded on my answer to this. I have been battling anorexia for the last eight years. I am five foot three and have been as little as 74 pounds. Now I have been able to maintain a healthier weight than I have in years. Usually I would go from 80 pounds one year and then the next year I would be up to 105. Then the following year I would plummet back to the 70's. I have been at a "normal" weight now for two years. And it is a constant struggle. It is something that doesn't ever really ever release it's clutches on you entirely. Every day I have to make myself eat. And if it has been an extremely stressful day then food is always the first thing to go out the window. But I keep trying. I know that if I stayed in the up and down cycle I would be dead by now. Actually the docs say they think I've cheated death a few times. But I know I'm not immortal so I'm really trying so hard to do the right thing. I don't have any favorite foods. I only eat what I need to eat to keep myself healthy. I just have to say that for someone with anorexia there never is a moment where you will look in the mirror and say "yeah, I look okay. My weight is fine" I know I will always have a distorted way of looking at my body. I think I'm fat now at 120 but I have to remind myself that I thought I had more weight to lose when I weighed 74!! Anyway, I guess I did get long-winded after all. lol

Leo Lane
02-13-2008, 01:07 AM
I'm pretty skinny, but I eat quite a lot and I like food, specially Chinese food...and baked macaroni cheese casserole...and raspberries...and kiwi fruit...and bittersweet chocolate...and and and...

I'm a vegetarian, by the way.