PDA

View Full Version : TV vs. TG vs. CD vs. TS

tgirlinva
02-06-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm not sure what the "official" definition of each respective category is....A lot of people confuse TV/TS/CD/TS being one of the same, but I don't think it is. Can anyone clarify? Correct me if I'm wrong, but are most CDs on this site married to a genetic woman?

MJ
02-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are most CDs on this site married to a genetic woman? . i think your stereo typing.. being a ts as in transsexual i still like women and would marry the right one . don't assume just because i wear a skirt i like men . We are all different

Cai
02-06-2008, 01:13 PM
Crossdresser - someone who wears clothes intended for members of the opposite gender, used in everyday speech most often for MtF people. Most crossdressers are heterosexual.

Transvestite - a crossdresser with fetishistic tendencies (American), used interchangeably with crossdresser (British) (I think, correct me if I'm wrong there). Again, most transvestites are heterosexual.

Transgendered - an umbrella term for anyone who does not conform to a strict binary gender expression. This includes transvestites, crossdressers, transsexuals, genderqueers, genderfluid and bigendered people, androgynes, and sometimes intersex people. Transgendered people run the whole gamut of sexual orientations.

Transsexual - someone whose birth sex does not match their gender orientation. Transsexual people can have any sexual orientation, but like in the cisgendered community, most are heterosexual (when looking at mental not physical gender). Transsexual people may have an unusual gender expression, or they may strictly adhere to the expression expected for people of their mental gender.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are most CDs on this site married to a genetic woman? . i think your stereo typing.. being a ts as in transsexual i still like women and would marry the right one . don't assume just because i wear a skirt i like men . We are all different

But MJ, she wasn't even talking about homosexual TSs. The question was if most of the CDs are married to women. And while I can't speak for the current relationships of the members here, I can say that most of them are heterosexual.

There's no need to get offended, you weren't even in the original question.

darla_g
02-06-2008, 01:38 PM
Hi Cai,
just had a question. Many years ago a interviewed a number of Transsexual patients for a psych class paper i was working on. The thing that amazed me is just how precisely this same question came out among everyone I spoke with and in some cases I didn't even ask the question, but this explanation was immediately offered up. I am just curious if this is sort of a natural byproduct of the whole interview process (which i understand can be quite hellacious for some people) Not a criticism mind you just a question because it sort of surprised me so much that it was always so precise and uniform an answer.

Cai
02-06-2008, 01:56 PM
It's a by-product of the general population not understanding the words that are needed to describe transsexual/transgendered people. I hear a lot that transgendered means a person who lives as the opposite gender but no surgery, and that essentially only post-ops can be transsexual. This is such an exclusionary definition that I don't think many people in the trans community like it.

kerrianna
02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
I've seen 'transgendered' used by well meaning shows like Barbara Walters when describing people we more readily identify here as transexual, so it's one of those hit the tail of the donkey things.

I had to learn all the terminology, and then deconstruct most of it because it just gets in the way more often than not.

Thus... the only 'vs' I would use in describing people here are poetic verses. :D

:hugs:

Kayla_CD
02-06-2008, 03:35 PM
Transvestite - a crossdresser with fetishistic tendencies (American), used interchangeably with crossdresser (British) (I think, correct me if I'm wrong there). Again, most transvestites are heterosexual.

I've never heard that definition before. If that's true maybe I can finally label myself, whether or not that's a good idea. But, I think the word "most" in there is important, as there are many bisexual and gay transvestites and crossdressers.

But, really I think that if you asked each person on this site to give a term that describes their gender or reason for dressing you would have way more variety (and adjectives) than these four terms.

Fab Karen
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
"most crossdressers are heterosexual" - what scientific study has evaluated this?
You'll also need to explain the "cisgender" term as most people have never heard of it.

Kate Simmons
02-06-2008, 04:23 PM
I dunno, terms and designations confuse me and they are constantly changing anyway. I usually only use these terms for reference or simplicity myself so others have a general idea. In any event, I accept my friends for who they say they are. I guess technically you could say I'm a CD, not a TS in the TG community who has LGBT friends. Years before I ever heard those terms, however, I was a TV and before I knew what that was, just a "tomboy". In reality, I'm a person who has many friends in a great community.:happy:

flacindycd
02-06-2008, 04:25 PM
I FEEL WE ARE MOSTLY "BIGENDERED" look it up at wikopedia,at least thats what is closest to my view ,,,just my 2 cents worth........... maybe this comment wont get deleted...

tamarav
02-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Damn, I seem to be missing my label....

Cai
02-06-2008, 04:35 PM
"most crossdressers are heterosexual" - what scientific study has evaluated this?

I was able to find this as an example of a study:

In fact, most transvestites are heterosexual while only a small minority are bi-sexual or exclusively homosexual.

This latter statement is supported by the results of a study done by Dr. Wardell Pomeroy (co-author of the famous “Kensey Reports” and director of the San Francisco based Institute for the Advanced Study of Human Sexuality) which found that 68% of crossdressing males are exclusively heterosexual while only 50% of non-crossdressing males are exclusively heterosexual.

You'll also need to explain the "cisgender" term as most people have never heard of it.
Sorry - I've gotten so used to using those sort of terms that I forget people don't know what they mean.

Cisgendered refers to anyone whose gender identity and physical sex are the same, regardless of their sexual identity.

tgirlinva
02-06-2008, 04:59 PM
This post wasn't meant to offend anyone. I find labels very counterproductive, so I wouldn't necessarily like to designate individuals under this or that label. However, I feel like it's part of my process of discovering myself... and this is a great site to find individuals who share the same feelings or at least have been there. My exposure of the transgendered community has been very limited and from what I understand is that:

CD/TV are equivalent terms wherein an individual dresses up for pleasure, something part-time.

TS - individuals that have breasts and/or live full-time and/or have had the surgery.

TG - general term including CD, TV, and TS.

Eugenie
02-06-2008, 06:18 PM
There is indeed a great confusion in this matter? There are so many terms and so many situations that it is difficult to make sense of all this... And consider that we are somewhat "educated" on this subject, imagine the public at large facing all these names:

Crossdresser, Transvestite, Transgender, Transsexual to which we might add some other available popular terms such as Drag Queen, *******.

Like many people I don't particularly like classifications as they tend to be very arbitrary. But I think an enlightened arbitrary classification would be better than vague categories based upon crude when not rude approximations...

Perhaps some here have found a serious research done in that naming process, if not a group might start working on the subject and then propose a set of definitions to the community.

:hugs:
Eugenie

CaptLex
02-06-2008, 06:23 PM
TS - individuals that have breasts and/or live full-time and/or have had the surgery.
Breasts don't enter into the equation with transmen. :p

sissystephanie
02-06-2008, 06:35 PM
This post wasn't meant to offend anyone. I find labels very counterproductive, so I wouldn't necessarily like to designate individuals under this or that label. However, I feel like it's part of my process of discovering myself... and this is a great site to find individuals who share the same feelings or at least have been there. My exposure of the transgendered community has been very limited and from what I understand is that:

CD/TV are equivalent terms wherein an individual dresses up for pleasure, something part-time.

TG - general term including CD, TV, and TS.

I think you might find it pretty hard to offend most of us on this Forum!

Your definitions are partly correct! Although CD and TC might be equivilant term to some. the word Transvestite is generally used by the media in a derogatory sense. Meaning a person who dresses in the clothing of the opposite sex for sexual purposes. I am a Crossdresser and rather proud of it. But I do not do it for sexual reasons! I do not consider myself to be a Transvestite.

A Transexual is a person of one gender, either male or female, who wishes to live and be the opposite gender. These are the people who go the expense of having surgery to achieve their aims.

Transgender: a term coined by the media, and very incorrectly applied to all.:p The normally accepted definition is: a person who like to be the opposite sex in every way possible. Now that would apply to TS people, and quite possibly to TV's. But it would in no way apply to me, or a lot of other CD's. We dress because we like to, and for no other reason. I crossdress and proudly, but I am also proud to be a man!

Sissy/Stephanie

Outwardly a girl, but there is a man underneath!

PS: I don't know how many times I have answered this question on the Forum! If more of you would take the time to research the question as I have, maybe it wouldn't get asked so often. Of course I admit not many would want to spend all the time that I have put in getting the correct definitions.

Kayla_CD
02-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Transgender: a term coined by the media, and very incorrectly applied to all.:p The normally accepted definition is: a person who like to be the opposite sex in every way possible. Now that would apply to TS people, and quite possibly to TV's. But it would in no way apply to me, or a lot of other CD's. We dress because we like to, and for no other reason. I crossdress and proudly, but I am also proud to be a man!

As a transvestite, I have to say that I do not want to be the opposite sex. I like the act of dressing (mostly as a fetish) but I also like my masculine side, I would never want to be a woman.

I'm not saying this just to be another poster who pokes holes in everything, but to prove the point that labels like these are so very reductive in how they define us.

MarinaTwelve200
02-06-2008, 07:55 PM
As there are SO MANY different variants on those definitions, it is best to define your term in the text, brfore you use it. For ME, I define CDing as simply dressing in the clothing of the opposite gender for ever WHAT reason. A general term for that element we all have in common.

A TS (Transsexual) to ME is a person with the BRAIN of the other gender and a desire to BE the other gender---(so they CD) A TV (Transvestite) Is simply a more formal term for CD, but usually reserved for those hetro guys to whom CDing may have a fetish/erotic connection.

I am what I call an "Escapist" one who CDs to "relax by dissociating from ones normal identity and gender.

I usually prefix my terminology when I discuss CDs and CDing. One might be called an "Escapist CD", a "fetishist CD", a "Thrill seeker CD", a "Taboo Tripper CD", a Transexual CD", etc.

I am leary about using the term Crossdresser by itself, for as I mentioned above, it has so MANY "official" and "personal" definition variants, like the word WITCH, for example. Does one mean "Witch" as a "Devil worshiper" a menber of the "wiccan" religion, or any pagan religon? Or "Witch" as a magician or scorcer, or a Herbalist or a "wise woman" or a "psychic"

With terms like CD or Witch, you may find yourself talking to another and both parties have a completely different idea of what is being said in the conversation.---Define your terms first or else no one can be sure that they are on the same page.

Nicki B
02-06-2008, 08:45 PM
A Transexual is a person of one gender, either male or female, who wishes to live and be the opposite gender. These are the people who go the expense of having surgery to achieve their aims.

Sissy, transsexuals can be pre-op, post op, or non-op - the key thing, surely, is they need to transition, usually with some form of medical intervention (i.e. hormones, surgery).

There are two definitions of transgender in common usage - one very narrow one, almost exclusively used in the USA, to indicate someone in the process of transitioning, i.e. pre-op TS. The other, much more widely used both in the US and the rest of the world, is as an umbrella term as Cai said, covering all of us (up to but not always including intersex people)?

Also - 'tranny' is used as a shorthand, often for transgender... But it can be a little like the 'N' word - fine if used between ourselves, but it may be perceived as derogatory when used by others? :hmmm:

shirley1
02-06-2008, 08:49 PM
i could be wrong but i think a crossdresser and transvestite are excactly the same thing in britain - its just a more up to date way of labelling someone - maybe the term cder came from america - either way i prefer it - the term transvestite just conjurs up images of guys walking around in stocking and suspenders high heels - thats fine but not every cder dresses like a rocky horror show preformer !

jayme357
02-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Tamara, your response should be framed and posted for all the world to see. Label, who me?????????????//

deja true
02-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Well, obviously we-ve used up almost all the terms we know in this thread and pretty much every poster has a slightly different take on each of them. That's why I tend not to use any of them unless a comment or post is about someone who definitely self-identifies with one of them. I think my most used terms recently were "transmen" ('cos, by and large that's what they mostly call themselves), and T-person (it seems inclusive enough when I'm speaking generally) and not-girl (as a general term for those who want to present female but say they are adamantly male). Like others, I don't much like labels, 'cos as we see here, nobody can agree.

Terms, schmerms! What ever happened to "gender gifted"? I liked that one.

respect (for every stripe of T-ness) and love

deja

Jennaie
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
Damn, I seem to be missing my label....

It's sticking out the back of your blouse. Here, let me help.:heehee:

Valeria
02-06-2008, 11:28 PM
Transsexual - someone whose birth sex does not match their gender orientation. Transsexual people can have any sexual orientation, but like in the cisgendered community, most are heterosexual (when looking at mental not physical gender).
FWIW, I think that the sexual orientation of trans women splits fairly evenly between three major categories (straight, bisexual, and lesbian), with the occasional person that considers herself pansexual or some other variant.

No, Cai has it correct. A transsexual is someone whose birth sex (as crudely determined by their external genitalia) does not match their gender. How they choose to deal with this situation varies widely (not only from person to person, but also over the course of their lives).

Cai
02-06-2008, 11:33 PM
FWIW, I think that the sexual orientation of trans women splits fairly evenly between three major categories (straight, bisexual, and lesbian), with the occasional person that considers herself pansexual or some other variant.

Well, you'd know better than I would; I know more about the trans male community.
I do know that the percentage of gay and bisexual trans men tends to be higher (about 10-15%) than in cisgendered men (about 5%, I think).

I think you said my point better though, Kehleyr - I was just trying to point out that transsexual people come in sexual orientation varieties just like cisgendered individuals. The fact that trans women are evenly split makes that point even more clear.

Vicky_Scot
02-07-2008, 05:53 AM
The OP just goes to show how society has this need to label everything.

Society would label me a CD or TV if I am lucky. The labels they most likely would give is Weirdo, prevert, freak etc etc.

If society wants to give me a label then so be it, but please remember it is just so they can use it to justify their opinions.

Xx Vicky xX

Fab Karen
02-08-2008, 04:39 PM
The point is, the study tells you about that group of people, in a complex subject like this you can't then say it's true of all/most people under this category. Bias can play a role in studies, http://www.glbtq.com/social-sciences/cross_dressing_ssh.html
and it should be obvious that Tri-Ess has bias concerning the subject.

Stargirl
02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I have a friend who feels he has equal male and female sides, and wants to dress one way one day, and the opposite the next. He also has "spells" when he's mainly guy mode, but the female persona is always there as a constant companion. Sounds like an interesting way to live. In female dress/persona mode, the male side is present in the "background". I have read several posts from men who don't mind certain chores when dolled up, or in an apron, but in "guy mode" the same chore has no appeal. Some experiences are hard to define. Seasons and emotions can affect how we express our genders, as well. I can't imagine why psychiatrists would try to "cure" people who are happy being themselves. I suspect that many S.O's and relatives want a "cure" for their CD's. How scary. A "cure ?" Ha Ha.. What we need is our own TOWN.

Cai
02-08-2008, 05:35 PM
Karen, every study is limited by the people choosing to participate in it. If you eliminate studies based on that fact, all sociological and psychological research is useless.

Tri-Ess wasn't the one performing the study, it was Dr. Pomeroy, in conjunction with the Kinsey Institute that ran it. So the bias wouldn't be that of Tri-Ess at all.

But,

Dr. William Stayton, Head of the University of Pennsylvania's Department of Human Sexuality and himself a therapist for crossdressers, reported "People associate crossdressing with effeminacy and being gay and the fact is most of them are not gay. They are very definitely heterosexual. " In fact one of the most difficult areas for crossdressers was how to deal with the women with whom they wanted to be involved.

Abstract: One thousand and thirty-two male periodic cross-dressers (transvestites) responded to an anonymous survey patterned after Prince and Bentler's (1972) report. With few exceptions, the findings are closely related to the 1972 survey results. Eighty-seven percent described themselves as heterosexual. All except 17% had married and 60% were married at the time of this survey.

Subjects were 455 transvestites and 61 male-to-female transsexuals, all biological males. A 70-item questionnaire was used, along with other structured questions concerning preferred and usual sex partners...
Six percent of transvestites reported a male as their usual sex partner; 25% of the transsexuals reported a female as their usual sex partner.
(Meaning, only 6% of transvestites in this study were actively gay men, and 25% of transsexuals were actively lesbian)

I know the journal articles were from the Archives of Sexual Behavior, but it doesn't seem like very many of the psychological journals do studies on crossdressing and transvestism. (At least, not in recent years, and not that treat crossdressing and transsexualism as anything but untreatable mental disorders)

I used SpringerLink (http://www.springerlink.com) to find those articles, if you're interested in looking for yourself.

trannie T
02-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Labels make it easier to describe people or things. When describing human behavior though, it becomes difficult. We are individuals. Each one of us is unique. While I am a "heterosexual part time crossdresser" that phrase barely begins to describe me.

Nicki B
02-08-2008, 07:36 PM

Indeed - and there are a few asexuals around, as well..

Fab Karen
02-08-2008, 11:27 PM
This isn't about one person being right. You can do studies on select groups, whether CD's, women, black people,etc. and not be able to accurately state "70% of women ( or whatever group) are..."
"preferred" & "usual" leave a lot of room. There are admirers for example who call themselves straight, yet most of society would think of them as at least bisexual. And it should be obvious how easy it would be for bisexuals to pretend to be straight. Maybe it's more accurate to say MANY CD's are heterosexual.

Cai
02-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Maybe it's more accurate to say MANY CD's are heterosexual.

Of course - what did you think I was saying? :strugglin Most, many, a large percentage, a sizeable group of: it all amount to the same thing.

Nadia-Maria
02-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Even if I am "technically" a CD, I consider myself rather as a TG.
Obviously I am not a GG, although I wish to live mostly as one.
So I must be a TG.
I love to be considered as a TGirl.

StephanieC
02-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Frankly, I'm late to the game. These categories of CD/TS/TG/TV have all been rather unknown to me. Maybe it's the way I was raised or being "busy with life" but I have never really thought much about this, especially as it pertains to me.

Growing up, I used to hear terms that were mostly derogatory for the categories. And the term "intersexed" was totally new to me until recently.

I think labels can be both good and bad. The good: they make us feel we are not alone...that there are others like us. I remember a psych class long ago, where they made it clear that there was no absolute for the definition of "normal" (vs abnormal) behavior. The bad: they "pigeon-hold" a person. Who is totally one thing or the other? Being mortals, we are usually a mix of things. And, more importantly, we may grow and change.

So, although the question is a good one, I wonder how much difference it makes. If tomorrow, my external appearance changed from male to female, would I as an individual change? Would my likes and dislikes change? Would my jokes get any better? Sure, some superficial things would change but the core of what I am is more than my appearance.

Just my opinion...

Violetgray
02-09-2008, 03:28 PM
Wow this thread has turned out to be very interesting! Just a few observations I've made..

1.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the word transvestite is actually a clinical term for a fetishistic crossdresser. Someone for whom crossdressing grants a measure of sexual satisfaction. I don't think the term itself is derogatory, just that people don't like the concept of crossdressing.

2.) Transsexuals are not defined by any sort of surgery. A man who is only attracted to men is gay. If he's a virgin, having never had sex with a man, that doesn't make him any less gay. So, its reasonable to say that for a TS, not having actually had surgery or hormones doesn't make them any less a TS, as they still feel as though they are the opposite gender.

3.) Many is NOT the same as most. Most means more do than don't. If I said that 45 out of 100 rubber nipple salesmen will come up and stab you with a sharpened herring, that's many. Now if I said 75 out of 100 will, thats most. Follow me? That having been said...

4.) FabKaren, your point is interesting, I've never heard someone challenge the notion that most cd's are straight before. However, I think we can reasonably assume that the majority of cds/tvs are straight. Not many, but most. Even a sexual orientation poll conducted here on crossdressers.com reflects this, and I consider us a fairly reliable source. Also, I think that in some cases we can say "most" about a specific group. For example, here in America, I would say that most of the prominent hip-hop artists in this country are black. You don't even need studies to tell you that. I know that in my experience, most of the non-ts tg people I've met are hetero men, with a fewer amount of gay men.

Fab Karen
02-11-2008, 05:19 PM
"4.) FabKaren, your point is interesting, I've never heard someone challenge the notion that most cd's are straight before. However, I think we can reasonably assume that the majority of cds/tvs are straight. Not many, but most. Even a sexual orientation poll conducted here on crossdressers.com reflects this, and I consider us a fairly reliable source. Also, I think that in some cases we can say "most" about a specific group. For example, here in America, I would say that most of the prominent hip-hop artists in this country are black. You don't even need studies to tell you that. I know that in my experience, most of the non-ts tg people I've met are hetero men, with a fewer amount of gay men."

i.e. "most black people hate country music." MIGHT be true, but what proof is there? I'd err on the side of "many". In MY experience, most of the non-ts tg people I have met aren't heterosexual ( btw, there are also bisexual people & pansexual people, not just gay or straight ) - really this assumption is just the other side of the coin where many people assume MOST CD's are gay.

Nicki B
02-11-2008, 05:31 PM
Karen, if you used the
... syntax to define what you're replying to, it would make your post so much easier to read? :nerd:

Violetgray
03-08-2008, 02:04 AM
i.e. "most black people hate country music." MIGHT be true, but what proof is there? I'd err on the side of "many". In MY experience, most of the non-ts tg people I have met aren't heterosexual ( btw, there are also bisexual people & pansexual people, not just gay or straight ) - really this assumption is just the other side of the coin where many people assume MOST CD's are gay.

With the rapper analogy as with cd's, there's a little more data to go on. With the rapper analogy, you can simply go into any music store in america and see the ratio reflected. With respect to the cd/sexual orientation ratio, most studies suggest that most cd's are hetero. Whether people are gay or bi or other ultimately makes no difference when talking about whether there is a hetero majority. In fact, I've yet to see a study that suggests otherwise. I'm willing to believe that most of those you know aren't heterosexual, but it could be a regional thing, or like minds seek each other out (not to assume I know what your own preference is). But by and large, most human efforts to keep track of such a thing suggest that the majority of cd's are straight men..

tvbeckytv
03-08-2008, 04:54 AM
Wow this thread has turned out to be very interesting! Just a few observations I've made..

1.) Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the word transvestite is actually a clinical term for a fetishistic crossdresser. Someone for whom crossdressing grants a measure of sexual satisfaction. I don't think the term itself is derogatory, just that people don't like the concept of crossdressing.

i believe in america this notion has been creeping in to pseudo psycho babble.
it still means what it means though... someone who cross dresses.

TGMarla
03-08-2008, 10:32 AM
Breasts don't enter into the equation with transmen. :pTouche! Well done, Cap. He scores!

Anyway, there is a bell curve that can be made of any demographic. If you want to break down areas of the curve and apply labels to them, that's fine, but it's splitting hairs. I say that I am transgendered (TGMarla) because simple transvestite or crossdresser doesn't cover the whole spectrum of who and what I am. So I'm in one of the grey areas between crossdresser and transexual. But since I'm not going to transition, probably ever, I cannot be classified as a pure transexual, either.

So labels, while not completely useless, are inadequate at best in describing many of us. You can use them if you want to, but they're a bit over-rated when it comes to truly describing us.

EllenTheWonderGirl
03-08-2008, 10:46 AM
who loves men. I don't call myself "gay" because of my internal, underlying belief in self.

Basically, I'm a female who loves men, but wasn't born with the "right" equipment.

Such is the circus that calls itself life!

Amy Hepker
03-09-2008, 05:25 PM
CDs are just crossdressers. A transvestite or TV is the same thing, you can also be transgendered if you are a female in a male body and a transsexual is one who has had the operation. You don't have to be or you can be any of the above and be married.

Carrie f
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM

Thank you hi24home, I always thought the two were interchangable. It's the fetish angle.

That's probably one reason crossdressers sometimes get classified in a negative light. Sites like alt.com have categories for cd and cd's are often shown as gay, into bdsm and more.

NicoleScott
03-09-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm heterosexual, a part-time dresser. I don't wish to be female or live as one full-time. Since I have a strong attractions for certain femenine things (in particular high heels, deep red lipstick, and long eyelashes) some may call me a transvestite, but I have always preferred crossdresser. To me, it sounds more like a lifestyle choice than a clinical diagnosis. Labels Schmabels.

Valeria
03-11-2008, 01:57 AM
a transsexual is one who has had the operation
No operation is required to be transsexual - I know of many pre-op/non-op transsexual women and men (some who are members of this very forum). Transsexuality has to do with your gender identity not matching the sex you were assigned based on your genitalia - it's not inherently about how you've chosen to address this mismatch.

Some people who have transitioned argue that after you are post-op, you cease to be transsexual (because your internal gender identity, external gender role, and genitalia all become congruent). I think it's more accurate to describe myself as being transsexual (since my body has switched anatomical sex) and cisgendered (since my gender identity has remained constant since birth).

But that notion's probably a bit too esoteric for this thread. :p

Anyway, outside the artificial environment of forums like this one, I don't apply any of those labels to myself. I'm just a woman, like any other.

Dalece
03-11-2008, 02:37 AM
Boy I'm confusted Labels and all I hope the label on my panties is in the back. Are we gurls or not. I'm very confused on this. Seems we can't live a life style without labels:confused:

tricia_uktv
03-11-2008, 04:38 AM
Boy I'm confusted Labels and all I hope the label on my panties is in the back. Are we gurls or not. I'm very confused on this. Seems we can't live a life style without labels:confused:

Oh but most of us here do! Its the outside world which likes to label us. I could either be fetish transgendered, transvestite or transsexual depending on which definitions are used. Try to find a label for that little lot.

bgirl
03-11-2008, 08:30 AM
I think you asked the wrong question on this forum.
After you get everyones opinion of what all the definitions and designations are. And all the experts have weighed in on whats what, forget all the labels and just be who you are.
Not everyone agrees on what everything means.
Gender and identity and sexuality are all complex. All of us have a different mix of all those things. You are unique!! What we all share is the desire to present as a female. Or to feel feminine and/or dress in feminine things.
This girl doesn't fit so easily in any compartment.
Why,.. I turned out to be to big for my closet,.. let alone a compartment!

Autumndawn
03-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Who needs the labels? Will they be on Tax forms? I.D. papers?
I would like to offer a snapshot of how my journey has evolved with my softer side. Maybe someone here could find a "label" for me?

This "pink fog" has been, at least for me, enlightening, frightening, pleasing, and vexing.
I have dressed for a long time. Initially it was for simple sexual gratification. I always felt so ashamed afterwards that I couldn't get the clothes, makeup and nails off of me fast enough. Then came the transition of just enjoying being "enfemmed" in clothes.
The chance to work on the voice, practice the makeup, and practice all the delightful mannerism's. For example, how to kneel down to pick up a dropped item as opposed to just bending over. The one thing I found out that practicing a woman's walk is very empowering. It's like for me learning to ride a bicyle once you've learned you can get on any bike and do it. I get heels on, or lingerie, and I'm walking the walk.
I always considered myself straight. Maybe it was that I was trying to convince myself so? I've been to clubs enfemmed and enjoy a man's attention. I enjoy the way a man initially physically contacts a woman, a touch on the shoulder, or upper arm.
Now, I dream/desire about being a woman. Waking up one morning and finding I was a full woman with everything! I wonder what all would change aside from the basic parts. How would my face change, my hair? Would I be as tall, shorter? What would end up needing work on if any? Chuckling to myself about having to dress in man's clothes in order to go out to get the "right" clothes. I do find that thought rather amusing.
I'd wear the new clothes out the store! Next stop would be a makeup and getting the new hair taken care of. Of course I'd have to find a job too! The culmination being going out and actually being able to be a woman with other women, and espeically a woman to a man, not a forced imitation.

CaptLex
03-11-2008, 09:36 AM
Not everyone agrees on what everything means. Gender and identity and sexuality are all complex. All of us have a different mix of all those things. You are unique!!
Yup . . . agreed.

What we all share is the desire to present as a female. Or to feel feminine and/or dress in feminine things.
Nope . . . not exactly. I would say what we share is that we want to explore and present as something different from how we were physically born - at least part of the time.

deja true
03-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Autumndawn!

D) all of the above

E) some of the above

F) who cares?

You're call!

Karin A
03-11-2008, 09:52 AM
I have a friend who feels he has equal male and female sides, and wants to dress one way one day, and the opposite the next. He also has "spells" when he's mainly guy mode, but the female persona is always there as a constant companion. Sounds like an interesting way to live. In female dress/persona mode, the male side is present in the "background". I have read several posts from men who don't mind certain chores when dolled up, or in an apron, but in "guy mode" the same chore has no appeal. Some experiences are hard to define. Seasons and emotions can affect how we express our genders, as well. I can't imagine why psychiatrists would try to "cure" people who are happy being themselves. I suspect that many S.O's and relatives want a "cure" for their CD's. How scary. A "cure ?" Ha Ha.. What we need is our own TOWN.

Stargirl... that's how I feel too!

Autumndawn
03-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Exactly dear! "gigle"

Fab Karen
03-11-2008, 04:40 PM
With the rapper analogy as with cd's, there's a little more data to go on. With the rapper analogy, you can simply go into any music store in america and see the ratio reflected.
But by and large, most human efforts to keep track of such a thing suggest that the majority of cd's are straight men..
I'd like to know what store you can go into to SEE ( & know ) the ratio of the sexuality of CD's.
Keep track of a group of people who in the majority are hiding from society? & then avoid personal bias of the small number that can be studied? I'd put as much faith in that as the guy who "studied" human skulls to "prove" black people were inferior. I think MANY is a more logical choice.

darla_g
03-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Damn, I seem to be missing my label....Isn't that one of those tags like on the pillow or mattress you're not supposed to tear off (hehe)