PDA

View Full Version : "click, click" theres no place like womanhood,..."

deja true
02-07-2008, 07:08 AM
GG's, SO's, Real Girls (not the synthetic mannequin kind). ..

I'd really like to hear from you on this quote from suzannecarr(post 103) in the Would you really want to be a woman? thread.

"click, click" theres no place like woman hood, theres no place like womanhood", girls(GGs) always remember this, everytime that you leave that house looking awful, or halfway fixed up, remember somewhere theres a guy standing in front of a mirror, going nowhere but looking ready to go to the opera, dancing, etc.) so remember to look marvelous while you can( one day you wont be able to wear that dress!))

I have the same feeling. It doesn't mean that you have to spend an hour to get ready to go on a 15 minute errand (though we probably would). But doncha just hate that slovenly look you see so much these days in the suburban malls?

Does living with a CD make you a little more conscious of your own presentation in public or around the house? Are you aware of how jealous we are of your innate femaleness and how sad we are if you don't take full advantage of it?

(total) respect and (inquisitive) love

deja

Michelle 51
02-07-2008, 07:28 AM
I,ll agree that a lot of women don,t dress up as much as they use too but in all fairness we all live hectic fast paced lives to-day. Its just go go go work,kids,do this,go there not to mention the comfort factor so i really don,t blame them.We on the other hand get as much enjoyment out of getting dressed as we do being dressed(me anyway)so its part of being a cder.Go to a special event like a reception and you can see that the ggs still know how to do it.

Daintre
02-07-2008, 07:49 AM
I'm sorry but this is just so wrong. We are not living in the 50's and June Cleaver wears jeans today. If you want to primp in front of a mirror and wear billowing dresses, go for it. The world has changed and it has become a fast paced race. I see women who work a full day wearing smart office wear, go home fix supper, run the kids all over, and OH my goodness they are wearing casual clothes. That is where we are today. Women still wear dresses when they feel a need to. Jeans, slacks, dresses...they are just clothes, and what a woman chooses is her decision.

deja true
02-07-2008, 08:09 AM
No, no, no, Jen... I'm not talking about June Cleaverism. I like a woman in pants and tops or other casual clothes. But I don't like to see women who are as sloppy and unkempt as some of their beer-bellied, scratching husbands and junk food munching kids! Casual clothes can be worn with grace and style as well as cocktail dresses. I just wanna see combed hair, touch of gloss, coordinated outfits (not plaid pants with a paisley top), a smile.

Maybe I've been going to the wrong mall?

deja

Samantha B L
02-07-2008, 08:48 AM
It's just an opinion but I think that the women's fashions of the past couple of winter months are real cute. I've noticed that some of what TG/TS/CD guys wear tends to be different than what real GG's wear. Basic clothing and hair styles change about once every 10 or 15 years with small changes happening all along and in between. At least I think so. Well,a lot of people,I guess,look like slobs at least part of the time. But why dress up to go to the mall or home depot?!

Bonnie D
02-07-2008, 08:50 AM
I agree, but I would have to apply it to everyone. So many men just don't care what they look like when they go out. For most it is all about comfort. We look at it differently because we are envious. I often think that if I was ftm I would think the same thing. Can't men dress a bit better and please get in shape. Can't I dress better and can't I get in better shape as a man that is.

Bonnie

Chari
02-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Life for most of us has become more demanding, hectic, and a bit confusing. Whatever I'm wearing, I always take a few moments to try to present myself as the best I can. We have all seen men and women, regardless of size, shape, or age, that are neat and clean while others appear to have crawled out of a dumpster on the loosing end of a cat fight. IMO, you have only one chance to make a first impression!

Chari

Angie G
02-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I think GG'S want to look the best they can but it's not always possible. Don't Nit pick when you have never been in a real woman's shoes they don't always have it that easy.
some woman have think going on in their lives you could hot even imagine so give them a brake hun :hugs:
Angie

CaptLex
02-07-2008, 10:25 AM
I often think that if I was ftm I would think the same thing. Can't men dress a bit better and please get in shape.
You read my mind, Bonnie. I was actually thinking of starting a thread saying the same thing. :^5:

Sandra
02-07-2008, 10:28 AM
I get p***** off being told I should wear this or that because I am a GG.

Just because I don't get "dressed up" all the time and only wear makeup on special occasions, does not make me sloppy, unkempt, looking awful or half way fixed. I wear what I feel comfy in and if that's a pair or jeans and a top thats doesn't "coordinate" then I'm not bothered, so long as I am clean and tidy I don't give a toss what other's think.

Does living with a CD make you a little more conscious of your own presentation in public or around the house?

No why should it ?

Sheila
02-07-2008, 11:03 AM
No, no, no, Jen... I'm not talking about June Cleaverism. I like a woman in pants and tops or other casual clothes. But I don't like to see women who are as sloppy and unkempt as some of their beer-bellied, scratching husbands and junk food munching kids! Casual clothes can be worn with grace and style as well as cocktail dresses. I just wanna see combed hair, touch of gloss, coordinated outfits (not plaid pants with a paisley top), a smile.

Maybe I've been going to the wrong mall?

deja

I have walked away from this thread twice ............. maybe I should have kept on walking but what the heck .............

How dare you, attempt to tell us what to wear, how dare you ............ you have never ever walked in my shoes ...,......... at the moment some days it takes me all my time to just get dressed ............. yet still I manage to maintain the home, feed the family, do the shopping, clean the house, pay the bills and the other hundred things a woman does each day.

I so appreciate the support the GG's have had in this thread thanks Angie, Jenni and the rest of you

Jess

kerrianna
02-07-2008, 11:22 AM
:rolleyes: yes Jess and Sandra... where have we seen this thread before?

Deja True, I'm getting deja vu reading your 'suggestion' or question. Every once in awhile the FAB GGs here get this little barb that they should dress nicer to please...who?

Ahem...not even going to answer that. You know who you are.

I sometimes think that some CDers have no frickin clue how much work women do keeping things running, and then to suggest they might make more effort to look pretty while doing it? Because when the CDer dresses up look how much effort they put in.

Yeah, well, do it every minute of every day, hon, while trying to get everything done. See how practical that is.

And here's something else some of you might not think about. Some women don't want or need that unsolicited attention from inappropriate men who think it's okay to hit on pretty women, no matter where or when. I'm sure some of you gurls have found out what that's like when you go out. Imagine living with that 24-7. From when you were young.

One reason men dress slovenly is because it WORKS for them.

Well, maybe it works for women too. People have lives to live you know. So live and let live. You want to look gorgeous, go for it! Don't expect others to live up to your expectations.

Alison Anderson
02-07-2008, 11:27 AM
My gosh! what a contentuous thread!
For every "attention grabbing female" I see at the mall there are ten that are just casual, "blending in" ladies just like the men! I see guys that are "dressed to impress" I admit I don`t take as much notice of them but the women are what the most of us are looking at so CD`s are biastly critical.
GG`s don`t need to be "dolled up" to be at the local store and going about everyday buisiness, they are naturally atractive to males or the males are victims of an out of date concept.

docrobbysherry
02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Ok, I'm ready for the consequences, here goes!

I wonder if when women AND men lose their figures as they get older, they also "give up" trying to look good?

I understand everyone is busy and in a hurry these days, but really! They still have mirrors don't they? How can people leave home looking like they do in shopping centers and restaurants these days? I don't mean busy mothers and dads, as much as the "20+ something" age men and women I see out.

Don't know, just a thot is all!
RS

kerrianna
02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Sherry, who decides what looks nice?

Speaking of twenty-somethings, I personally think some of their piercings and tatoos are unsightly. But their peers don't. Am I more right than their peers?

Aren't we just talking about judging others by our own book then?

What gives anyone more right than another to judge whether someone looks decent or nice?

Stargirl
02-07-2008, 11:52 AM
I lived in the rat race. No money for nice clothing, because rent and food came first. (No sad violins, please). Even with my hectic life, I still combed my hair, and didn't saunter into work at the dry cleaning shop in a holey T shirt, and oversized jeans and tell my boss "just live with it, I have my rights, you know". My ass would have been fired. We have a difference of opinion on the discussion here, that's all. I suppose some people think it's ok for a four year old boy to wander into the mall wearing a sleeveless t shirt and shorts, in bare feet in the dead of winter, because (as his mama says " Junior wants to be tough, JUST like his daddy".) If Health and rehabilitative services tell her that "Little Junior's" health is being compromised, and junior kicks the security guard in the shins (chip off the old dad block ?) well, I guess mama can always hire a lawyer and go on tv to tell her tale of woe. "My Child Has His Fashion Rights".
Most malls have signs. They require shoes, and shirts, and so do a lot of eating establishments. Are they violating the right to "free fashion expression ?" I certainly couldn't wander through a mall dishevelled, in my nightclothes. "Oh I just don't have TIME to get dressed, officer. And, besides, I have my rights !"

kathy001
02-07-2008, 11:53 AM
At the risk of stirring the pot more, GG's ponder this for a moment.

If the public at large say back in the 50's could look into the future to the present day, they would have no other choice but to draw the conclusion that the vast majority of the women of 2008 were cross dressers. I won't even mention what the Victorian Age public would think of today's trends in women's clothing!

Androgony is alive and well today. Jeans are becoming the U.S. version of those old Red Chinese andogonous MAO suits both sexes were required to wear after the communist revolution in an effort to solidify their communist agenda.
Sure fashions along with women's roles have changed over the decades but for crying out loud i just can't and never will understand why the vast majority of modern women dress like slobs today, purposely play down and even hide their femininity with those horrible clunky combat boot type shoes, no hose, no makeup, etc. etc. etc.

And further more why do modern GGs absolutely refuse to wear skirts more often! The only saving grace for me at least of women wearing jeans is the very occasional glimpse of camel toe, shapely hips or VPL! But this is typically the exception to the rule.
I don't buy that baloney that jeans are more comfortable.
I've worn both skirts and jeans and skirts win hands down in the comfort department.

Alison Anderson
02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
En drab I hate the way I look, Ill fitting clothes, daggy crap, I know I want to look better but I wont buy " fat clothes" and I`m trying to lose weight but Rome wasn`t built in a day! should I stay home until I am handsome again!?

jaina
02-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Ok, I'm ready for the consequences, here goes!

I wonder if when women AND men lose their figures as they get older, they also "give up" trying to look good?

I understand everyone is busy and in a hurry these days, but really! They still have mirrors don't they? How can people leave home looking like they do in shopping centers and restaurants these days? I don't mean busy mothers and dads, as much as the "20+ something" age men and women I see out.

Don't know, just a thot is all!
RS

It astounded my how much time "busy" people have in America, Canada and to a lesser extend England have in their day. People Europe and Asia generally walk for 20 minutes to 1/2 an hour to a train station twice a day. They usually shop for groceries 5-6 days a week rather than load up at the supermarket once a week and still have time to take pride in their appearance, including busy moms and dads.

CaptLex
02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
If the public at large say back in the 50's could look into the future to the present day, they would have no other choice but to draw the conclusion that the vast majority of the women of 2008 were cross dressers. I won't even mention what the Victorian Age public would think of today's trends in women's clothing!
Who cares what they'd think? :p

Sure fashions along with women's roles have changed over the decades but for crying out loud i just can't and never will understand why the vast majority of modern women dress like slobs today, purposely play down and even hide their femininity with those horrible clunky combat boot type shoes, no hose, no makeup, etc. etc. etc.

And further more why do modern GGs absolutely refuse to wear skirts more often! The only saving grace for me at least of women wearing jeans is the very occasional glimpse of camel toe, shapely hips or VPL! But this is typically the exception to the rule.
You've missed the entire point - why should anyone dress to please you? You wear what you like, and let others wear what they like. It's that simple. :rolleyes:

GACountrygal
02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't buy that baloney that jeans are more comfortable.
I've worn both skirts and jeans and skirts win hands down in the comfort department.

Pfft :rolleyes:

Jeans ARE comfy. Between all the bending, twisting and odd moves I make while out and about (read I have 2 young children) wearing a skirt is ridiculous.

Comfort varies by individuals, so whats comfortable to you isn't always comfortable to someone else.

--------------------------------------

To get back to the OP...

I generally go out of the house looking like I just came out of a tornado. Between all the things that need to be done, I'm lucky to get into regular clothes, much less get dolled up for a run to the grocery store or the local range.

I have a husband who loves me for ME. He doesn't care how I dress or if my hair looks like I just stuck my finger in a light socket (with it being short right now it does that a lot :heehee:)

If someone is so shallow as to "judge a book by its cover", I think they need to be knocked upside the head :slap: There's more to life then this superficial stuff so many people get hung up on.

:2c:

Stargirl
02-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Life for most of us has become more demanding, hectic, and a bit confusing. Whatever I'm wearing, I always take a few moments to try to present myself as the best I can. We have all seen men and women, regardless of size, shape, or age, that are neat and clean while others appear to have crawled out of a dumpster on the loosing end of a cat fight. IMO, you have only one chance to make a first impression!

Chari

I understand what you are saying, clearly. I see people in a town nearby who are down on their luck. We have free clothing programs available to them, and free food. Many of them do turn their lives around, and help out at the shelters. The point that you made : we do the best we can. Most of us have empathy for people who have stressful lives. But we also want to see them take time FOR themselves.(The martyr thing just gets old, after awhile) There was a TV show years ago, called "Queen For A Day". Four women would relate a sad story, and the audience chose the "Queen" with applause. The winner would often cry as she got her crown, and money, hair styling, family assistance, etc. It sounds kind of hokey by today's standards, but it worked back then. Maybe I stray off topic a bit, but life is a series of changing circumstance.

Sharon
02-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Personally, I'm getting tired of these threads, and the arguements that result from them.

I don't know where some of you live, but I see very few women who dress poorly. They may wear jeans, and may have on a top that I don't care for, but they still look perfectly fine to me. And, also. does a woman always need to wear makeup when she goes outside? Gads, I wear makeup maybe twice a week at best(usually the day of and after my electrolysis appointments), and, Lord knows, I'm sure I look better with it than without. But I'm not out there looking to attract a man when I'm picking up dinner at the store. And I'm not out there to impress anyone either, particularly shallow, small-minded people who put more emphasis on the package wrapping than what is on the inside. :rolleyes:

kathy001
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
CaptLex Wrote:
Who cares what they'd think?

H'mm, so i take it you agree with the premise that modern women are cross dressers relative to the 50's and earlier? :D

You've missed the entire point - why should anyone dress to please you? You wear what you like, and let others wear what they like. It's that simple.

Well you've kinda missed the point i apparently failed to make. The fact is that the typical modern women of today is a slob, dresses more less for all practical purposes in men's clothing all leading the important fact that women are hiding their femininity. All i've done is to point these facts out!

So the modern GG life is too hectic and fast paced to look their feminine best? I don't buy it!

GGs answer these questions then:
-How long does it take to put on minimal makeup other than mascara? at least a quick brush of powder, blush or lipcolor? Most GG's today don't even bother with at least wearing lipcolor.
-How long does it take to put on pantyhose?
-How long does it take to put on a slip and skirt compared to wriggling into those tight jeans and adjusting em so they look just right?
-How long does it take to put on a pair of feminine walking shoes compared to putting on those combat boots or those dirty sneakers?
I could do all above in 5 to 10 minutes!

No maam's, IMO most GG's are purposely playing down their femininity! The real question is why?

By the way, most men myself included would be happy if the woman in their life dressed to please! If that were the case, i'd bet there'd be an exponential increase of short 'n tight skirt 'n heeled women walking around. But thats another moot issue as those days are gone also! :sad:

kerrianna
02-07-2008, 12:47 PM
OMG! :eek:

I wandered into Jurassic Park by mistake and the dinosaurs are loose!

Good thing I was wearing my sneakers today and not my heels, because it's time for this girl to flee to Sanity-ville.

It's all yours, mods. :p

CaptLex
02-07-2008, 12:57 PM
H'mm, so i take it you agree with the premise that modern women are cross dressers relative to the 50's and earlier? :D
Don't put words in my mouth, hon. I'm a big boy now, I can speak for myself. I never said I agreed with that point of view, what I said is that I couldn't care less what anyone would think of what women today wear. Big diff, see?

Well you've kinda missed the point i apparently failed to make. The fact is that the typical modern women of today is a slob, dresses more less for all practical purposes in men's clothing all leading the important fact that women are hiding their femininity. All i've done is to point these facts out!
No, I got it - I just don't want it. My point is that you seem to think you have a right to dictate to women what they should wear, according to your standards. Who died and left you boss? Regardless of whether their lives are hectic or they just enjoy wearing jeans and sneakers, it's their lives, their style, their clothes, their choice - they're not there to decorate the scenery for you, unless they choose to. Savvy?

By the way, most men myself included would be happy if the woman in their life dressed to please! If that were the case, i'd bet there'd be an exponential increase of short 'n tight skirt 'n heeled women walking around. But thats another moot issue as those days are gone also! :sad:
Oh lordy . . . welcome to the 21st century, Kathy. :p

Hang on, Kez, I think I'll join you. :blink:

Kieron Andrew
02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
Hang on, Kez, I think I'll join you. :blink:

:eek: *chases after Lex and Kez 'wait up'!!! 'Shakes head in disbelief at yet another thread in an attempt at judgement on others'

Kate Simmons
02-07-2008, 01:20 PM
Golly jeepers, I had a feeling how this thread was going to go but refrained from posting until now. With all due respect, I have to have all due respect. Everyone( both men and women) these days IS busy and always has a ton of stuff to do, if there was any indication of that in my own life when we had three children growing up. It is neither possible or practical to look like a fashion plate all the time just as it is not possible to know the circumstances of others.

Personally, I care more about my friends' and loved ones' well being than I do about their presentation, and thus the purpose of the question when I see them:"How are you?" The answer reveals a lot if we actually listen. I'm going to care about them regardless of how they look in any case. Being there for them has meaning.

As far as the issue of people's seemingingly "letting themselves go", we never know the full story to that either. Once again, concern for their well being means a lot and moral support goes a long way, even if we can do little to actually help.

While it is a fact that when we can look good we may feel a bit better about ourselves, it's not quite as important as caring about others and vice versa. I think Deja's real intention was to say that women have the innate beauty that many of us crave. Well, we all know that and of course the ladies always look nice but the real bottom line to me is the true beauty inside that we all have and that is not skin deep by any means.:happy:

amy2310
02-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Considering TG's do not want to be judge by what they do and wear behind closed doors, or in public, a lot of you have judge the GG's of the world by what they wear, not every woman can afford short skirts and heels, and reveling tops. And not every woman looks good in clothes like that, and most GG's myself included just feel much more comfy in jeans and a nice top.
Ever thought how impractical it would be to wear heels all the time, never mind how bad your back and feet would be. Dressing up nicly is all well and good for those that 1. have the money to replace make up and clothes and shoes 2. have the time to do so in the morning.. and the time during the day to touch up makeup.

Deborah Jane
02-07-2008, 01:30 PM
I wasn,t going to bother answering here and i,ll probably get burned for doing so!! I can understand where the GGs are coming from with this...
Example..My ex wife rarely glammed up for an average day..The reasons as seen by me!! [Or informed about later]
6.30am..Get up get showered, etc, wake up 3 kids to get ready for school.
7.00 till 8.00..Grab breakfast, make breakfast for kids, call kids again to get ready [i helped until 7.30 when i left for work]
8.10am..Taking kids to school, [2 schools and heavy traffic]
9.00am [if lucky]..Return home and get ready for children being dropped to her. [She was a childminder for a few years while training to become a midwife..Eg, studying etc]
All day looking after and amusing 2 small children [taking to the park, other group activities, etc]
2.30pm..Minded children collected followed by a quick tidy up of the house then go and collect our 3 children from school.
4.00pm,ish..Children back home [sometimes with friends] try and keep everyone happy.
5.30pm..I return from work and take over amusing the kids while she gets a meal ready for the family and attempts to get the house tidy.
During the course of the evening, we both had to make sure the oldist kids did their homework and also one of us put the youngest to bed.
She eventually managed to to start relaxing about 9ish in the evening, but still had to study for her midwifery course,s!!
[I,ve no doubt i,ve missed some things out, but i can understand why she didn,t "glam up" every day...
I know a lot of her friends live similar lifestyles, so i guess i can understand the views of the GGs here...Just my :2c:

Hell!! Why can,t people just live their own lives and let others live theirs as they want!!
I,m getting sick of some people trying to annoy the GG,s here while they are at least willing to try to understand us!!

Cookiecrumb GG
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
I dont want to say too much for fear of letting rip..:Angry3:

but i just wanted to add, i have seen some "slobby/slovenly women" sure. BUT i have also seen some bloody slobby/slovenly CDs too who dont seem to be arsed to take the time to look particularly feminine, just throw stuff together for the sake of wearing a skirt and make up and quite frankly put other CDs who take care of their appearance to shame. The OP makes it sound as if all CDs look like supermodels ready to attend a regata gala at a moments notice...

So u see it works both ways.

dont start hating on GGs and the fact that they dont wear a ballgown to a supermarket...when CDs are in drab mode do they wear tuxedos or formal suits all of the time? no, they wear jeans, joggers, t shirts because its comfy and practical.

raleighbelle
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Wow! Who am I, of all people, to tell other people how to dress or impose expectations on their dressing. As a cross-dresser, I keep trying to impress people with the idea that we should all be free to dress as we please (within reasonable limits, for instance people should wear tops at an eating establishment). In my ideal world, all woman (and many of us men) would all wear beautiful dresses and skirts all day, but I realize how both impractical it is and how many women don't like wearing the traditionally female clothing. But in some women's ideal world, all men would wear ties (gag!) and have very short hair etc. I have absolutely no interest in dressing like that as a male, and have no pleasure in dressing up as a male in any way.

I will also comment that in my opinion, though women in general often do not dress up real nicely, they do dress and present themselves far, far nicer than men do!

Tamara Croft
02-07-2008, 01:56 PM
All I have to say to this is: -

http://www.tamaracroft.co.uk/robinhood/EyesRoll.gif http://www.tamaracroft.co.uk/robinhood/EyesRoll.gif http://www.tamaracroft.co.uk/robinhood/EyesRoll.gif http://www.tamaracroft.co.uk/robinhood/EyesRoll.gif http://www.tamaracroft.co.uk/robinhood/EyesRoll.gif http://www.tamaracroft.co.uk/robinhood/EyesRoll.gif http://www.tamaracroft.co.uk/robinhood/EyesRoll.gif

Ok, so that isn't all I have to say... seriously people, infact of ALL THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM, who the hell are you to judge what we GG's wear? seriously, it's the biggest double standard I've ever :censor: read!!!

And you Kathy... stirring up the pot nicely aren't you, so I'll answer your rediculous questions and see what you make of them....

How long does it take to put on minimal makeup other than mascara? at least a quick brush of powder, blush or lipcolor? Most GG's today don't even bother with at least wearing lipcolor.

I can put my whole face on in about 5 minutes, but I'll wear it when I want to wear it, not when people like you dictate me to wear it... and we all know what happens to dictators!!!

How long does it take to put on pantyhose?

Doesn't take me any time at all, because I don't OWN ANY!!!!! If I'm going out, I wear trousers, nice ones, feminine cut, because I personally do not like skirts, I am not built to wear them, I do not look nice in them... it's quite simple... and again... don't dictate to me that I should wear them, you aren't me....

How long does it take to put on a slip and skirt compared to wriggling into those tight jeans and adjusting em so they look just right?

See above answer and I don't own a pair of jeans either, because I don't personally like them, they don't fit right on me and I won't wear them.

How long does it take to put on a pair of feminine walking shoes compared to putting on those combat boots or those dirty sneakers?

Oh wow, you really do not have a clue what it's like for a woman do you, I feel sorry for you, if you think that woman can walk around all day in heels, then you need to get with the program already, heels are bad for you back :rolleyes:

I wear what you call 'sneakers' and sorry, but dirty? mine are spotless and so are my damn boots!!!

Good for you, who cares? Stay like that all day do you? Run errands, do the monthly shopping, take AND fetch the kids from school? clean the house? all in heels and makeup??

Sorry, but I can't do it, I suffer with sciatica, hip, pelvis and joint pain from an accident, but I'm probably one of those slobs you see out, you know, the ones you sit here calling names, but you know absolutely NOTHING about them, whether they dress that way for a reason, maybe they can't afford to dress nicely... who are you to judge? I could judge you quite the same way, you are not a woman, you shouldn't be dressing like one, you are a man, who are you to be wearing makeup and womans attire etc... why don't you take some of your own medicine and be a man, wear a suit and tie everyday... no? well then shut the hell up!!!

No maam's, IMO most GG's are purposely playing down their femininity! The real question is why?

Why do we need to be feminine, you're doing it plenty enough for us!!!!!!

Shelly Preston
02-07-2008, 02:07 PM

Most women do dress to please

They dress to please themselves who are you or I to condemn them for doing so

I am sure if a lot of here dresses to please their partner the would never wear a dress again :eek:

I am sure you would prefer to go back to the dark ages where a womans place is in the home

I think you need to realise this is the 21st century

crunchysoda
02-07-2008, 02:09 PM
When I first found out about my bf (july/aug 07) I did wear makeup more often and get a little obessessed w/it (just my nature I get on kicks of different obsessions) and even bought a skirt =x.

I have yet to wear that skirt, it needs to be warmer and well I dunno just havent felt like wearing it.

I dont go to the malls, well very very rarely, they are just TOO much, that was something I did when I was a teenager, then it was an event, something to do w/friends.

Now for me it's mostly Target. I suffer w/severe anxiety/depression ect ect and even w/medication it is a daily struggle just to wash my face, brush my hair, put on clothes and face a new day. So do I worry about makeup, dresses and heels? HELL NO.

Should I? Do I feel guilty? HELL NO!

I have asked my bf "Would you like me to do my makeup" and he doesnt care either way, he says it's up to me.

I use to not be able to leave the house w/o makeup, and now it's a great thing to be able to face the world just as I am and not care what others think.

"click click womanhood", please give me a freaking break.

I am about to go to target today to get some errands done, Ill be wearing my uniform of jeans, tennie shoes, sweater/tshirt/sweatshirt or whatever is clean and my winter jacket. With my hair pulled back in a pony tail.

I make no apologizes for it. None at all.

Stargirl
02-07-2008, 02:10 PM
I think that in many cases, people aren't passing JUDGEMENT on the intrinsic value, or ultimate worth of another person. I think that an observation is made, and a frustration is expressed : "I wish people would not go around looking like hell when there is no excuse for it". YES, humans are allowed to dress as they wish, but on observation, some of us have noticed that humanity doesn't seem to care about a lot of things. No one suggests a fashion plate look just to fetch a candy bar at the general store, but who wants to see someone's buttox hanging out the back of a pair of really ratty cut off shorts ? OH ! wait, I see a big show of hands. This is getting scary !

Darla in Pa.
02-07-2008, 03:18 PM
No one should or does expect everyone to go out the door dressed to the max all the time. Everyones got there comfort zone WHO CARES? I see teens with there pants almost to there knees boxers might be falling off too. Do I have control NO Now if it was my kid i would pull them off in public and let him make a statement.
So it is all about our own set of values and preferences. My wife dress's for work everyday. She sure looks more comfortable in jeans as I do too. heels and dresses are fine for play but not practical for everyday life

waspookie6
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
There are interesting responses here from both sides yet it seems to come to perception of oneself and others surrounding them.

A strange observation of Architecture:
You are in a city and see a shimmering tower of glass, steel and concrete. It is aesthetically pleasing to marvel over, it was placed intentionally to reflect its surroundings such as the sun, clouds, lakes, mountains and the like. Its new and shiny. The entrance is huge and you can see two stories up as to what is just inside.

Next to it is an old building of brick and mortar. It looks outdated next to the much taller and prominent building. If you look close you can see where the glass is clean and wavy from the glass "sinking". The brick is free from graffiti, the age worn dark spots highlight crowns over windows and arches. Corners are weathered yet you can see it still is a hand-crafted piece placed with great care to the overall structure. The entrance shows solid wood doors with the warm tones wood gets as it ages. There is still gold paint outlining the glass on the doors in hand done scroll work.

They simply co-exist. One is newer and stands out more, the other backs it up yet still carries its own charm. They are both appealing in their own way.

While one may think they would rather do business in a place that is open with cables to hold stairs and glass, there is little for privacy. The gleaming marble floors reflect light from everywhere, it echos the sounds of hustling about.
The other may seem a bit drab though the soft creaking underfoot of weathered yet sturdy flooring is nothing you have to worry about slipping on. The inside offers more privacy without restriction. The old wooden benches offer a moment to sink into if you should want.

I think people are that way. Some are shiny and outgoing, standing out at first glance. They have their own quality that attract. Some are a bit more demure, seemingly old fashion yet they also have something inside that is attractive.

I wonder - why do we use the term "old fashioned" when referring to buildings and people? Isn't "fashion" just for humans?

Apparently not.

Sarah Rabbit
02-07-2008, 03:56 PM
let's see now. what do I want.

A show pony who spends all her time in front of the mirror primming herself.

or

A woman who got more to offer than just looks. Looks fade and clothes go out of fashion, but my wife will be there with me emotionally and mentally long after all of the 'Glams' drifted off into the sunset .

Sarah R. :bunny:

Nigella
02-07-2008, 03:58 PM
... no not the GGs, these sort of threads I for one am p****d that these threads keep appearing. They are so divisive, open to hundreds of interpretations and so unconstructive, that they should be banned.

Yes OK a little lightheartedness never harms, but when some-one presumes they have the right to show disrespect for a persons personal choice of attire, then that is a step too far.

We are forever saying how " society" won't accept our dressing, Why the hell should they when some of our own are telling others how they should dress.

Sandra
02-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Well

If we are slobs like you say then why do you want to be like us?

So the modern GG life is too hectic and fast paced to look their feminine best? I don't buy it!

GGs answer these questions then:
-How long does it take to put on minimal makeup other than mascara? at least a quick brush of powder, blush or lipcolor? Most GG's today don't even bother with at least wearing lipcolor.

I can do a full makeup in about 5 mins, but I don't have to and no one is going to tell me how I should look.

-How long does it take to put on pantyhose?

Don't like them so don't wear them, suppose thats wrong as well

How long does it take to put on a slip and skirt compared to wriggling into those tight jeans and adjusting em so they look just right?

I wear a skirt when I got out on a special occasion oh and I don't wear tight jeans I wear ones that fit just right. Don't want to make a spectacle of myself it would be classed as feminine would it

-How long does it take to put on a pair of feminine walking shoes compared to putting on those combat boots or those dirty sneakers?

Well if you had my problem getting shoes to fit right them you wouldn't be asking this question

same answer here as Tamara you do plenty for us but also I don't have to be all dollied up to be feminine

Well I guess next you'll want us to be at home waiting with the slippers and coffee when you get in and then tired to the kitchen sink all in high heels and the rest.

I don't tell you how to dress so leave what I wear up to me.

waspookie6
02-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I know my post will probably garner "can I have some of what you are taking?" but I don't mind - it is precisely what I thought of the entire thread.

There is one thing other women have told me about getting dressed up and such: they don't because they have been so hurt in relationships, they don't want anyone to notice them at all. I really can't recall how often I've heard that from GG's in their early 20's to 60's!

I tend to do that as well in a way - I need paint for my house then that is all I am there to get. My clothes have paint on them, my hair is pulled back, I'm clean but my shoes are sturdy for staying on the ladder. The gal who did wear heels, make up and dressed up to get paint? The paint counter folks took her for as much money as they could get (and I don't blame them, she wanted "designer" paint) where with me - I got four gallons of custom color paint for the price of two gallons. It didn't make sense to get paint if you get my drift.

I'd like to point out the dangers of women and high heels - anyone else can feel free to go into depth if they want. Right now we are waiting for authorization from my health insurance to get surgery on both legs for me from wearing heels too often in my 20's and 30's at work and its costing me now! My legs get swollen, the veins are blown and ugly, my arches are shot.

I've had eye infections from mascara. Manufactures don't always date those.

Never had acne as a kid but did as an adult and developed very sensitive reactions to make up. The kind I can use is expensive. I need groceries instead of make up.

hello
is this thing on?

Nigella
02-07-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by kathy001

By the way, most men myself included would be happy if the woman in their life dressed to please!

Dressed to please who? The woman in my life is there because of how I feel about her, not because she is dressed right.

Oh by the way in answer to my own question, Sandra does dress to please...

... Please herself

kathy001
02-07-2008, 04:42 PM
omg!! "Hell really does hath no fury like a woman scorned" :eek:

For the GG's who participated in this thread! :love:

First let me set the record straight. I've merely attempted to relate facts pertaining to modern woman and their choice of fashion as it relates to the historical record as an innocent observational bystander.

This is still a free country and anyone myself included can and does exercise the right to dress anyway they want. My intent is to not dictate but to present facts and question the why of it all. IMO its still something deeper than busy hectic lives. Women from the dawn of civilization have had busy hectic lives not to mention rearing many kids.
Having said that, something has and still is in the process of radically changing our social structure albeit its happening so slow some don't realize it.

Someone here mentioned something to the effect "why are men slobs".
Women, like it or not, have been the historic social stabilizing factor by keeping both society and yes also men civil. In some social areas, women have abbregated those responsibilities.
I can say this much, men in general left to their own valition will definitely continue to be even slobbier as long as women 'allow' it! Might have something to do with the male genome. For some of you older male members, think on how your mother made you wear a suit and/or a tie for Church on Sunday. Those days are pretty much gone except in certain Bible belt areas of the country.

All i'm trying to convey here is that our society and social fabric is changing along with divorce rates, whether its for the better or worse only future historians will say.

Daintre
02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I am closing this thread, It is going in circles with the anger level rising. There is no value in keeping this going, so settle down and go on about your business.