PDA

View Full Version : A trainset or a doll?

Sapphire
02-08-2008, 09:11 PM
How deeply do we identify with being feminine? Most of us are drawn to the clothes and makeup - but what about the maternal instinct? I suspect that for many of us when we were young boys it was a trainset we wanted for Christmas and not a doll. Our crossdressing seems to spring from sources more associated with the trappings of femininity than with the biological role for which women are equipped by nature. Did you also most definitely not want a doll for Christmas?

shirley1
02-08-2008, 09:55 PM
i played with cars definately wasnt interested in my sisters dolls - in fact i hated the color pink as a young child - but in saying that i was never into playing contact sports like football or rugby - hated games lessons at school - maybe its caus i would sooner have done trampelening with the girls by the time i reached secondary high school - no i never craved girly things until much later on - but then again my cding never really started till i reached 13 or 14 - but saying all that i was a child of the 70s and i dont think there was so much differation between boys and girls things back then as there is today - and girl power hadnt been invented - i mean if there had been brat dolls back then maybe i would have wanted one ! my younger sister just wanted my toys ! so maybe i just thought my toys were cooler !

Susan.
02-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I was not the doll type either. I acted like a boy when... I was a boy.

AmberTG
02-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Trains for me, it's been a lifelong love affair with trains. I tried to get my sisters to let me play with them with my GI Joe and their Barbies, bit they weren't interested in that. Ah, the traumas of childhood!:heehee:

TGMarla
02-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I did the train set.

MarinaTwelve200
02-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Trains 4 me too----Indeed even now. I just bought a HO gage 4 4 0 Locomotive, like in the old west, just a day or two ago.

Like for ME and other "escapist" CD types, CDing may not be necessarilly about feminine things, but rather becomming "NOT ME"---and what other person is any more not me than a "woman". I'm talking identity ESCAPE here rather than some "female self".

Samantha B L
02-08-2008, 11:07 PM
I had a Lionel Trainset. But I remember when I was 7 or 8 I wanted a Betty's Beauty Parlor set so bad it took me an hour or two to get the idea out of my head when the TV commercials for it would come on local TV.

docrobbysherry
02-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Like for ME and other "escapist" CD types, CDing may not be necessarilly about feminine things, but rather becomming "NOT ME"---and what other person is any more not me than a "woman". I'm talking identity ESCAPE here rather than some "female self".

Not trying to hijack the thread. It's just that Marina explained EVERYTHING about my CDing in just a few explicit words. Sherry is as far away from being Robert as I can get!
CD

PS: Not trains, fire engines, actually!

ericalynncd
02-08-2008, 11:20 PM
I had a trainset, hated it. never could get the tracks together just right. I also had an easy bake over, it was so easy.

Angie G
02-09-2008, 01:18 AM
Before I started dressing Iwas just in to boy toys :hugs:
Angie

Jennifer Brooks
02-09-2008, 02:18 AM
Train set. Even though I had a doll that I took everywhere until the age of 5 (I still have him), I would have wanted a train before a doll. Funny enough besides still having my doll, I still have my first two train-sets.

kerrianna
02-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Did you also most definitely not want a doll for Christmas?

I most definitely did want a doll for Christmas!

So much so that when I was told "boys don't play with dolls" I ran outside and screamed and cursed God that he had made me a boy and that I should have been a girl and that I hated being a boy (gee...this sounds kind of like how I am today :p).

I was such a whiny kid and so devastated... my parents (my mom I think) gave me a doll (and THE doll I wanted - very un-Barbie - more real) after all. Cuz Santa cares. :happy:

I had her for years, and dressed her and loved her very much.
And when I discovered my tomboy friend had a Barbie I insisted I get a companion and we play Barbie's and she thought I would buy Ken, but I got Midge instead. :D

I had boy toys I liked too (no train set - that was my dad's perennial Xmas wish which he never got either), but it was the girl stuff that I really fussed over. Easy Bake oven too. :happy:

Kate Simmons
02-09-2008, 05:23 AM
Trains ,yeah but I always managed to make my sister's dolly the engineer, not to mention that my little brother's GI Joey felt strangely compelled to try on my sister's Barbie's clothes when they were not around. Okay, maybe I was one "warped" little kid bit where there is a "will" there is a "way" you know. Gotta love it.;):happy:

Lidia_tv
02-09-2008, 05:28 AM
Oh God, among all of the toy cars, I actually HAD a doll, too

Dalece
02-09-2008, 05:28 AM
I had train sets still do. But had a teddy bear named mikey, he finally gave in on age when i was 20yrs old had him since I was a baby. By the way there are real GG engineers working on the railroads.

Michelle 51
02-09-2008, 05:40 AM
Interesting post .I wonder what a post would show.all guy things here also.No trains but trucks, etc .Never was interested in dolls etc or other girl stuff.Its all about the cloths and feeling femme once in a while for me

Dawn Marie
02-09-2008, 07:11 AM
Well, I guess I must be in the minority, because I did play with my sisters dolls and other things. And I always seem to associate with the girls than the guys. I was never much into sports, though I did play baseball,but back then my real passion was gymnastics. And I use to collect porcelin dolls until my last divorce when the ex took all of them, now that ticked me off.

Deborah Jane
02-09-2008, 08:04 AM
I loved playing with toy cars when i was a kid and i love playing with real cars now. I can,t remember ever wanting a doll, except "Action Man".

CamillaCD
02-09-2008, 09:21 AM
It was trains for me too. Still love to watch those engines where you can see that it is a locomotive and not just another passenger car. The bigger the better.

darlagirl
02-09-2008, 10:57 AM
It was trains for me. But, when I was about 7, I wanted a doll house really bad for Christmas.

My parents did get me one. I don't remember much about it, but I don't think any dolls came with it. I have no idea how long I had it either.

I'm sure they were glad when I lost interest in it.

Darla

Billie Renee
02-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I really liked my life size Shirly Temple walking doll that I took everywhere with me so she could walk beside me.

Dalece
02-10-2008, 03:33 AM
It was trains for me too. Still love to watch those engines where you can see that it is a locomotive and not just another passenger car. The bigger the better.

I was asked when I did work for the railroad if I still play with toy trains, I said no I play with the big ones:lol:

Joy Carter
02-10-2008, 03:46 AM
My mom put me in nursery school while she worked. I recall they had a kid sized kitchen set. The girls played there, and only let the boys in to pretend eat. I recall many a times being told boys don't play with..........etc etc etc.:rolleyes:

Anna the Dub
02-10-2008, 04:24 AM
I didn't want dolls but I didn't want train sets either. I never really encountered dolls as my sister wasn't interested in them. I was more into games where anybody could play, and I did like role playing games with my friends, where I would quite happily play the female. I know that I did want a bike at one stage, and I really, really wanted a girls bike not a boys. In the end they couldn't afford to buy me a new one, so I got my sisters bike (she had outgrown it). I was pleased.

Jere Oneil
02-10-2008, 10:58 AM
As a boy, many of my friends were girls(more than boys) and I played with dolls a lot. I even had my own drink and wet doll. I often wore one of my cousin's dresses when we played with our dolls because she said I had to be a girl to be my dolly's mommy and mommies wore dresses, so I had to wear one. (this was back in the late 40s to early 50s).

bridget thronton
02-10-2008, 02:28 PM
I had a train set, but really spent more time playing with building sets (wish legos had been more widely available when I was growing up)

Megan (VA)
02-10-2008, 05:59 PM
According to my parents the first toy I ever asked for was a doll.

They bought me one. :happy: