PDA

View Full Version : Grow some balls!

tamarav
02-09-2008, 10:30 PM
That was the advice given to me by the owners of a beauty salon that was interviewing me for a job. An odd statement you might think from women, but once you work around them it fits perfectly.

I had explained that I wanted tp work dressed and had shown up for the interview nicely dressed. After expressing some doubts about being able to work as a woman, first one owner then the other said the same thing, "Grow some balls". They set the stage for my greatest adventure to date by telling me to simply step up to the plate and start swinging (figuratively speaking).

I was told to look around and see how women actually looked in real life and I would find that they are just like men, they will wear the least attractive clothes they can if they don't feel like dressing up.

So what is the point?? No matter how you dress or how well you feel you pass, there will always be genuine women that don't give a rat's ass how they look or how you look and will look less feminine than you do. So give it a try and hold your head up, remember this is something we enjoy!!!

Tamara Croft
02-09-2008, 10:32 PM
But did you get the job??

suzannecarr
02-10-2008, 02:06 AM
im sure not all women feel the same way, thats why ( as suggested by others on this forum ) its no good to generalize, you are brave though!s

Jennifer Brooks
02-10-2008, 02:24 AM
That's the way my wife dresses. Plane-Jane and boring. If it's not somewhere special or for work, she wears sweats suits and slippers. :lame:

Andine
02-10-2008, 02:29 AM
They are just jealous ....!

You look seriously stunning!
You can do my hair anytime you like Dahling!!
I just love being pampered by someone who is seriously lovely!

regards

lisa_e_love
02-10-2008, 02:35 AM
You look gorgeous! I hope you get the job.

sara_also
02-10-2008, 07:13 AM
As I have said before..Attitude will take you a long way thruogh life.

KrissyTN
02-10-2008, 07:21 AM
Way to go Tami!!!

But do tell....did you get the job?

Hugs,
Krissy

deja true
02-10-2008, 08:09 AM
Well, it turns out they were right, weren't they? It's just that you did something with your cojones that was probably the opposite of what they had in mind. Congratulations on your decision and your life, Tami. Many here envy you in a good way. A positive step forward for any of the girls here is a step forward (maybe in a smaller way) for all of us. Outspoken, good lookin' girls like you give the rest of us a bit more confidence every day. (Love your pictures, too!)

(unfailing) respect & love

deja

(You're thread title scared me for a minute there...)

tamarav
02-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Well yes I did get the job!! I had read here on this forum of a member posting a job wanted ad on Craigs list and getting a job that way.
I was cutting hair at one of the mass production hair cutters and not dressing and not really enjoying dealing with picky young Navy men who had no one else to bitch at. I posted an ad for a "crossdressing cosmetologist with permanent makeup certification" and got 4 calls within 5 hours of posting the ad. I had put in my ad that they could see what I looked like dressed by going to my web site at www.apparentlyfemale.com and checking me out before even talking to me. And they did.
I actually went to three interviews the following day and started the following Tuesday, just long enough for my male self to set up my furniture and equipment in my makeup room. I am also now the "go-to" girl for makeup since I seem to wear more of it than anyone else. I do bridal parties and individuals for their special occasions. The funny thing is, some women come in and want their makeup to look like mine, pretty sexy and very obvious. Its great fun.

This story is a bit out of date since I have been working there 4 months. I work in Angel's Creations in Mount Vernon, Washington as a stylist but I also have a private room to do permanent makeup. (Thats tattoo to those of you that haven't heard of it) I micro-implant pigment (don't you just love the way we modify tattoo to sound scientific and new?) in the desired color as eyeliner, eyebrows, lip liner and lip full color. I also do tattoo removal or coverage depending on the client's needs.

I have posted pictures of the salon somewhere and my pictures on the way to work. I wil add one or two more to this note to show you how I look at work daily. I now seem to be the "pusher" for looking a bit more feminine in the salon. I notice that the same ladies that gave me the advice are now stepping up to the plate and looking a bit nicer. One of their husbands actually told me that he is glad I am there, I seem to elevate their interpretation of what a woman should look like and he loves it. Go figure!

To date I have had no one object to my dressing, some don't really know and those that figure it out like it. Besides, when you go into a beauty salon you always expect some sort of aberrant looks or attitude. Well with me they get both!

Tha attached pictures are from my daily picture taking before I go to work. I check out the overall look and hair and usually only change it two or three times before I actually leave for work. And yes I do tend to push the envelope a bit, since I can. My poor co-workers and clients never have a clue what I will look like each day. It is sort of like a guessing game.

Your sis,
Tami

tommi
02-10-2008, 08:16 AM
That's the way my wife dresses. Plane-Jane and boring. If it's not somewhere special or for work, she wears sweats suits and slippers. :lame:

Ditto Jennifer,she says she has to dress nice for work she just wants to wear sweats when she doesn't have to do anything else.

Melora
02-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Wow you can look quite great!
But as to your post... quote: I was told to look around and see how women actually looked in real life and I would find that they are just like men, they will wear the least attractive clothes they can if they don't feel like dressing up...

HeHe.. I wake up to her every morning :happy: And I LOVE HER.. ALWAYS!
Melora..

maryjanecapri
02-10-2008, 08:33 AM
that is awesome that you got the job. i too am a cosmetologist. i dress every day (but not to pass). but it's obvious i am wearing women's clothing. not one person has said anything bad. usually i get compliments. i have told people that in this industry people expect us to be quirky.

it's a great and supporting environment.

and it feels good to make people pretty. :D

TxKimberly
02-10-2008, 08:35 AM
No question the title of your post sort of grabs your attention! I think that is an awesome story and great advice and I am delighted to hear that you are living the life a lot of us dream of.
I've repelled down medicine bluff several times (the Cliff Geronimo jumped from), I've been shot at, I worked on a nuclear missile for a decade, been in a airliner that filled with smoke, and half a dozen other things that all required courage, and one day it just sort of pissed me off that I was afraid to go outside dressed. I "grew some balls" myself and have been having a ball ever since.

tamarav
02-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Atta girl Kimberly!!

TGMarla
02-10-2008, 10:03 AM
It's obvious that you spend a heck of a lot of time each day on your appearance. I'm glad you enjoy it. One of the reasons many women don't bother anymore is because of the time involved. As guys, we can, as the Beatles said, get up, get out of bed, drag a comb across our heads. Women have so much to do to get ready, and many just stop the whole ordeal after a while.

I'm glad you're having fun with it. Many of us would love to have a job where we got to get all dolled up and venture forth. Kudos to you!

Angie G
02-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Well you sure are living and working the dream hun you go girl :hugs:
Angie

Fab Karen
02-10-2008, 04:39 PM
OUR HERO!
Great post, and you look Fab
This somewhat reminds me of the gay joke,"take it like a man!":heehee:

TxKimberly
02-10-2008, 05:34 PM
. . . One of the reasons many women don't bother anymore is because of the time involved.

And here is the perfect place for tamarav to plug the whole "Permanent Makeup" application.

tamarav
02-10-2008, 05:43 PM
Kimberly, Kimberly, Kimberly.. I would never even think of bringing up how permanent makeup can save an incredible amount of time every day or how it is always perfect yet can be covered if you wish. None of these things will I mention or how you can have your lips enhanced to really show off that beautiful smile. Want a slightly bigger upper or lower lip, want to have a soft glow on your cheeks all the time? I 'm sure there is an answer somewhere.....

The funniest part of my job is that 80% of my permanent makeup clients are well over 60. They now realize just how much time t takes and good eyesight is required to put your makeup on evenly. Maybe I should follow my own advice.

Tami

Carly D.
02-11-2008, 10:35 AM
You should have told them you do have "balls".. what do think it was easy coming here dressed this way??...

tamarav
02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I actually did tell them that later, but the boys were a little cramped at the time...

Stargirl
02-11-2008, 10:56 AM
You are inspiring, and a delight to know.

Sally24
02-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Congratulations Tamarav! Very few take the initiative to try to live life on their terms. It's great to see more and more of the girls here going out and picking some kind of different life to live. I don't think I'd ever try for a job en femme but I have occasionally gotten a female job application to my e-mail and thought about it!

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death! (Auntie Mame (http://en.wikiquote.org/w/index.php?title=Auntie_Mame&action=edit))

Most people don't ask for what they want and are surprised when they don't get what they want. (?)