PDA

View Full Version : first therapist appointment

DebsD
02-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Hi just wondering everyon`s thought`s, just got first referal from my gp after telling them i want to transition, see therapist next week

Big question do i go as male or female? I still live and work as male at min, and am getting better at blending as female every day?

just thoughts and advice please.
Debs

AmberTG
02-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Personally, I don't think it matters much if you go as male or female for your first appointment. How you think is more important to them then how you look.

Perrinielle
02-10-2008, 07:12 PM
LOL I had the same question when I went. I just went the way I was as a man and got the hormones the same day. I think it's more about what you have to tell than how you look.

Good luck !!

Leanne

Megan (VA)
02-10-2008, 10:32 PM
I just began working with a new therapist. For our first meeting I went androgynously, mostly because it was easier and I was using the meeting as an opportunity to get to know her more than anything else.

After that first meeting, and after feeling that she is someone I am interested in working with, I have opted to go to our subsequent meetings presenting as a woman. I feel more relaxed that way and when I am relaxed it is easier for me to share my thoughts and feelings.

How do you feel most comfortable presenting yourself to others? That might be the best way to present yourself to your therapist.

JennMW
02-11-2008, 01:45 PM
Deb,

What do you want from your visit with your therapist?

Are you "asking" or "telling"?

By that, I mean that you have already have self acceptance and percieve the therapist to be a gatekeeper, then you can come as you want to live.

If on the other hand, you are still questioning (and that is ok!), then don't complicate the relationship with your therapist by introducing varibables (dressing) that would cause you to act "artificial". Give the therapist a chance to work with you and help you figure yourself out. Dressing can wait until YOU are sure of yourself.

In my case, I went dressed from the beginning and the therapist could tell that I was comfortable and concluded that I had no morbid disorders that would prevent transition.

Jennifer