PDA

View Full Version : Dressing at work. How did you explain to your boss?

Naima
02-11-2008, 10:50 AM
I have started crossdressing fulltime since i was 25 (abt 2 yrs back).

I started out working in an advertising firm and I guess it was easy for me as my director is gay and one of the account manager is gay too. It was also obvious that my behaviour is really effeminate (i think im more feminine than GGs lol) so it was pretty easy for me. After a few months I just told my MD that I wish to come to work dressed from now on and she emailed the whole office to address me as Naima. And the whole office was very supportive, and like I said they kinda expected it cuz i am effeminate and gay.

Just wanna know if the rest of you encountered any probs abt dressing to work esp those who dress full time like me?

JoanFlores
02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
You are so lucky, I hope that one day I can find a job like yours, best wishes.

Fresh_Face
02-11-2008, 03:54 PM
I have started crossdressing fulltime since i was 25 (abt 2 yrs back).

I started out working in an advertising firm and I guess it was easy for me as my director is gay and one of the account manager is gay too. It was also obvious that my behaviour is really effeminate (i think im more feminine than GGs lol) so it was pretty easy for me. After a few months I just told my MD that I wish to come to work dressed from now on and she emailed the whole office to address me as Naima. And the whole office was very supportive, and like I said they kinda expected it cuz i am effeminate and gay.

Just wanna know if the rest of you encountered any probs abt dressing to work esp those who dress full time like me?

If you're 24/7, I assume you consider yourself TS, right?

Sandra
02-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Fresh face why assume she's TS? my SO is full time 24/7 call it what you like and she's not a TS, she doesn't want hormones or srs.

Naima

As I said above my SO is full time and has had no problems with work, the company knew she was a cder when she applied for the job as a carer, working in a residential college for young people with autsim, she has come into contact with parents and social workers and has not had any adverse reactions.

Naima
02-11-2008, 04:36 PM
Fresh : I'm not a TS. Don't feel the need to have a sex change or get implants or hormones. In fact I rarely put on breast forms as well. I just like myself the way I am. =)
I don't know what to classify myself. I'm feminine and like men so I'm tranny I think =P

Joan: I guess its the industry. Advertising/Media/Fashion tend to be more open. I would be slaughtered if I'm working in some engineering firm and wanted to go drag full time.

Sandra: Oh your SO is so lucky to have you! =)

Eugenie
02-11-2008, 04:56 PM

I'm not "en femme" 27/7 but at a certain point I felt the need to tell my boss. In fact my boss was the President of the association for people with disabilities in which I was myself Vice-president.

I told her after she mentionned that I didn't react like a man. That I was more reacting like a woman... At that point I felt compelled to let her know I was a x-dresser. The other reason is that I go out "en femme" when I'm in Brussels wher out association HQ is. I figured that it would be better that she was informed by me rather than by someone else, in case something would happen to me while being out in the streets of Brussels...

Her reaction was fabulous. It was one of the most positive factors that allowed me to finally accept who I was.

:hugs:
Eugenie

Monique L
02-12-2008, 02:28 AM
Joan: I guess its the industry. Advertising/Media/Fashion tend to be more open. I would be slaughtered if I'm working in some engineering firm and wanted to go drag full time.

Naima, you are so right about the engineering profession. Couple of years ago I got a bit emotional at work and it took me months to live that one down. If they found out about my fem side I wouldn't be able to show my face at work. But I'm getting to the point where I really don't care who knows.

mollytyler
02-12-2008, 02:28 PM
Work in media production and the industry generally is "open" to issues...worked initially with lots of women in the NYC office in my VERY androgynous mode right after college...now and then out with them in Molly Mode and they fully accepted(after hours fun)...well...transferred to the LA office and my "femme" personae preceeded me with the usual office gossip about the new person....slowly evolved more and more at work as Molly over last few years...everyone was cool with Molly and knew me as Molly fulltime out of the office....was just waiting on a manager to retire before going fulltime at work...nice guy but stuck in the old world......last 1 1/2 years it has been Molly full time at work....will NOT change!!!!!!!!!

Katie Ashe
02-12-2008, 03:30 PM
I used holloween to break the company in. A short time later started wearing ladies business pant suit to work. (you can search my older post for full story) Was formally written up for non-gender compliance of dress code. Was moved from front office to back closet and then laid off eventually. I fought the write up and won, that kinda P'ed them off.... anyways I've been looking for a job ever since (Oct 06).

Brynna M
02-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Don't say that about engineers. I am one. I'm not looking to dress at work (but it would be cool if it didn't matter) but don't make me nervous about accidentaly outing myself.

Truthfully though I can see it what you mean. Most would be put off by CDing and some would be out right unpleasant.

Who knows someday it may be cool for everybody to dress how they want.

hoping

B

Carvery Carly
02-12-2008, 08:17 PM
What we do (staying dressed behind closed doors and hiding from others) reminds me of the state of the gays were in several years ago.
Now look at how society is more open about gays/lesbians. Maybe in another few years, it will be the CD/TV/TS turn to enjoy non-hateful/acception by the rest of society.
We live in hope!!!

chrissietoo
02-13-2008, 01:46 AM
Well, I am the boss, so it's not a problem of the boss finding out...but..the employees.

I work with three young women, and we're kind of like sisters; they know my sentiments and feelings lie with women. They've dropped hints, and so have I. As yet, I haven't felt it would be good to go farther than our shared feelings...perhaps some day.

Suzzie
02-13-2008, 02:20 AM
I was outed at work about eight months ago. I recieved my worst review in my entire 26 years with the company. I was on damage control for a while on now the company is trying to rid themselves from the non compliant. I still wear ladys jeans and shirts with a man shirt over. It has calmed down as of late and all of the people that I hang with are doing OK. I have to really tow the line for the rest of my stay if I want to keep the position. It was not said but actions speak louder the words. Your one lucky gal.

Suzzie.

Billie Jean
02-16-2008, 02:17 PM
Only did it once and my boss asked me to, it was for a function at work. I dressed to nines and I felt great. Another male employee dressed for the same funtion. I suspect that he cds all the time too since his outfit was great and fit him perfectly. Billie Jean

RikkiOfLA
02-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Like Tamara V and Nigella and a few others, I also dress full time at work and I love iit! Like them (as far as I know) I'm not on hormones and have no desire for surgery. In my case, I started it when I started a new job eight years ago. I hired on there as openly transgendered and they were fine with it. It can work ok; it very much depends on the line of work you're in, and how the people you work with are. I have done (and continue to do) a lot of educating about transgendered issues; you'll run into a whole range of attitudes from complete acceptance to secretive rejection. You also need to be prepared to work as hard as women do--and that's a lot harder than men have to. It really helps to be completely comfortable presenting in public as a woman, and to have a good work wardrobe (more conservative than a nightclubbing wardrobe, to be sure) that permits you to dress like most of the women at work.

Hope this helps.

Rikki