PDA

View Full Version : Trans-phobia

Taylor105
02-15-2008, 07:00 PM
I think I have mentioned before that I have a friend who is a doctoral professor at Auburn University. Her name is Gwyn and she is male-to-female living full time as a woman and is eventually going to be fully transitioning. She called me a couple of nights ago to tell me that she got beaten by her ex with a baseball bat. She says she fears for her life. I told her to get immediately to the hospital and to have them call the police to have an investigation opened. The one thing my mother worries about when it comes to me being out as a guy is that someone will kill me in an act of hatred. She always asks me if people are treating me okay. It makes me sad that we have to live in a world where we have to fear for our safety for being who we are. I mean I am a second degree black belt but that won't stop a gang with bats, knives or a gun. Tuesday is Transgender Rememberance day at the university. Gwyn had been asked to give a ten minute oral presentation on what it means to be trans. I hope she is still up to doing that. I have also been asked to speak from the other side, ftm. My mother begged me not to get up in front of a university full of people and talk about being trans. I feel very strongly though that if I am going to be killed by some hick idiot I would rather live my life as who I am and be killed than live my life alone at home as a recluse and be safe. Anyway, I need to go back and lay down. I still feel like shit.

Kieron Andrew
02-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Be strong Taylor, good luck with your speech :D, give your friend our best for a speedy recovery and i hope she goes ahead with filing charges against the idiot that did this because if we dont act out people will never see it is a problem and changes wont get made, would i still do the speech? hell yeah i would!

SirTrey
02-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Do be careful, Taylor....but you also have to do what YOU think is right....It saddens Me to no end the ignorance and intolerance we have to live with as trans people...I wish your friend the best....such idiots we have to share this wonderful world with....Maybe one day education will do the trick and those idiots will become more of a minority...I hope so....:Angry3:

deja true
02-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Taylor, I'm so sorry for your friend, Gwyn. This kind of thing makes me more than sad it makes me FURIOUS...

Please keep us up to date on her progress...and on yours my poor suffering boy!

Will your Rememberance Day be broadcast anywhere?

I wish every member of the Forum could be there with you.

respect & love

deja

O2B Barbara
02-16-2008, 07:47 AM
I'm sending you my thoughts and support. Wish you both the best.

Felix
02-16-2008, 09:05 AM
Taylor I feel sick when I read this it is so awful :thumbsdn: My thoughts are with your friend :hugs: Be careful at the Uni but do what ya think is right. I can understand ya Mums concerns, there's not a day goes by when I don't worry about my eldest son who I don't see. It's a parents biggest fear to open a news paper and see her child's face on it and something has happened beyond their control. Good luck Hun with everything xx Felix :hugs::hugs:

Taylor105
02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
I tried calling Gwyn yesterday but got a message machine. I hope she is doing okay. She was really shaken up and scared when I last talked to her. And with good reason.

I have only been involved with this group for less than a month and they are already asking me to get up in front of a student body of God knows how many people and talk. I believe it will be held outside in one of the common areas where people are always going through on thwir way to dorms or classes. I will have a microphone in hand and just talk. They are very interested in my thoughts on transgenderism which is really cool. I never realized I could make such an impact this quickly. They asked me for suggestions and one of the things I mentioned was that next year it would be better to call it "Transgender Recognition Day" versus rememberance day. To me that just sounds better. Anyway, they had already printed out flyers and all so Rememberance day it is. Next year they are changing it to Recognition day. I really truly hope I have my voice back by Tuesday or I won't be talking at all! And poor Gwyn is supposed to give a speech from the mtf side of it and I don't know if she will be up to it either. Keep both of us in your thoughts and prayers.

Syr_SwitchyGQ
02-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Keep both of us in your thoughts and prayers.

:hugs: Will do, my friend. Good luck with your speech and feel better!

ZenFrost
02-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Keep both of us in your thoughts and prayers.

I will. :hugs:

kerrianna
02-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Taylor, I am sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she's going to be ok. Being beaten by an ex might not be just transphobia, seeing as lots of people think it's okay to hurt people they professed to love. :sad:

I hope you do get a chance to speak, and to include what it's like to live in fear of bigots, to feel marginalized by society because we are different. Most people are kind and decent and sometimes they need to have their eyes opened to the kind of hatred and persecution others face. Then they help watch our backs. That's what we need - for decent 'ordinary' people to let others know that it's NOT ok to belittle, berate, or beat on anyone who is different.

Be brave, be strong, be yourself.

And do be careful, but I think you are better off having a higher profile as trans than a lower profile where no one is watching out for you.

I think it's great that you get to speak before the others. I hope Gwen is able to too. You guys could send a very powerful message.

Mom's are supposed to worry. That's her job. Assure her you'll be ok. :hugs::love:

CaptLex
02-16-2008, 03:52 PM
Most people are kind and decent and sometimes they need to have their eyes opened to the kind of hatred and persecution others face. Then they help watch our backs. That's what we need - for decent 'ordinary' people to let others know that it's NOT ok to belittle, berate, or beat on anyone who is different.
And most people I've talked to are unaware of the dangers and prejudice we face. They're usually shocked that we're a target for bashers and subject to things like job and housing discrimination. We have to spread the word - awareness is the key.

Good luck with your speech - I hope you're well enough to do it. And I hope your friend recovers soon and presses charges. What you're doing is so important, Taylor. I'm very proud of you, dude. :hugs:

Taylor105
02-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Well, the reason I called it phobia is because she was shouting verbal assaults against Gwen being trans while she was beating her. But you are right that it could just be a mean ass ex. I am finally feeling better. No fever today. Now I just need to geet my voice back in the next couple of days and I will be set. As a martial arts instructor I had to talk to crowds of people all the time. Not my actual classes but when we would give demos at malls or whatever. I also had to give ten minute oral presentations at both my first and second degree black belt tests. I am one of the lucky ones who never lacks for something to say. I never prepare a speech. I just speak from the heart and usually it is received well. I am actually starting to look forward to this. hehe

Stargirl
02-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Momentum is building in your life. You took the first step by attending the meetings. No turning back, now. Strong convictions, friends, and personal faith can do wonders. Just try to keep up the nutrition. We are all lucky and blessed to know you.

waspookie6
02-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Those that are "natural" speakers get the most response and attention (as in paying attention to what is being said).
Again, it seems like things are falling into place for you, my guess is you will mention what happened to Gwyn and it will come out in a way that would be easy for others to understand.

And with your background "walk softly, carry a stick" is something second nature to you too. While an un-paid job, worry is a job Mom's have regardless :hugs:

Good luck and prayers to Gwyn, I know you will be fine!

DanielMacBride
02-18-2008, 12:22 AM
:hugs: Taylor - good luck with your speech, I'm sure you will do really well :) I hope Gwyn makes a speedy recovery and is well enough to speak also - give her everyone's love when you speak to her next. And add My prayers and thoughts to the list lol :)

Daniel

Sally24
02-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I feel very strongly though that if I am going to be killed by some idiot I would rather live my life as who I am and be killed than live my life alone at home as a recluse and be safe.
I live my whole life like that. People say "don't make waves" "don't confront people in public" and the like. That's no way to live! If people are behaving like idiots, I tell them. Same way with my T-girl life. Enjoy your life.....stand your ground.....and be yourself Taylor!

Taylor105
02-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone! You are all the best friends a guy could have. If not for you all I would not be the man I am today. I would still be that sickly anorexic little thing hiding under clothes six sizes too big or even worse, I could be dead. I found you guys at a time in my life where I had to make the choice to live as me or die as a girl. And I chose life. And I'm happy. And I owe my life to you all for the support along the way. You are the most important people in my life. I hope you know that. :hugs:

ZenFrost
02-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the support everyone! You are all the best friends a guy could have. If not for you all I would not be the man I am today. I would still be that sickly anorexic little thing hiding under clothes six sizes too big or even worse, I could be dead. I found you guys at a time in my life where I had to make the choice to live as me or die as a girl. And I chose life. And I'm happy. And I owe my life to you all for the support along the way. You are the most important people in my life. I hope you know that. :hugs:

I'm just happy that we can be here for you when you need us. :bighug:

Tristan
02-18-2008, 07:53 PM

:hugs:

Aww we're glad you are here, bro, healthy and alive and hopefully happy.

Leo Lane
02-19-2008, 01:27 AM
You're really brave, Taylor. I'm full of admiration.