PDA

View Full Version : Tomfoolery?

Kate Simmons
02-17-2008, 08:55 AM
As many here know, I make no bones about being myself and make no pretense to be something I am not. There have been a lot of crazy twists and turns in my personal journey for identity and I have tried a lot of different things, keeping those which work and discarding those which do not. I have to keep it "real" for myself in order to be a real person.

While I have pretty much integrated all of my feelings under the umbrella of Salandra, I nonetheless have recognized that I have a Tomboy streak that persists in hanging around, so my core instinct tells me to "go with it". During my experimentation phases, I tried different outlooks and aspects of being a "girl" which were considered the "norm". I seriously doubt there is such a thing really(short of being a Stepford Wife), just as there is no such thing as being a "normal guy". I tried being the ultra feminine type which seemed way over the top for me and while I like wearing nice clothes (who doesn't?), I sometimes feel really out of place in that frilly stuff and my eyebrows raise and I say to myself:"Get real". I'm more comfortable in denim a la Daisy Duke.

I don't go out of my way to act "feminine" either, even though I get a lot of compliments from both guys and gals and maybe that's the key. I figure that this is me, take it or leave it and most people I know seem to have appreciation for that. In all honesty, isn't that what we all really want, to be accepted for who we are?

Bottom line is that this makes me a very outgoing person and I like to have a good time and mix and mingle. I'm an adventurer(ess) at heart and really am not content to sit around looking "pretty", especially when there is a lot of fun to be had. Sometimes Sal even crossdresses as "Eric" which is an adventure in itself. Not easy trying to "hide" something you really don't have and not sure if it's that "convincing" but nonetheless a lot of fun and the interaction and adventure is where it is at for me.

The most important thing is I feel I have the freedom to be myself and I'm more like Idgie from "Fried Green Tomatoes" than any fashion plate or "girly girl" and am certainly not afraid to use a little "muscle" now and then and show a little "attitude." I may not be the ideal picture of a "lady" some have but I am myself and that is what counts with me as anything else would be a total sham. Besides, I have to have some attitude, since I'm head rum wench on The Genterquest with all of those feisty pirate boys;). Towanda!!:happy:

JamieDP
02-17-2008, 09:21 AM
When I read your post a couple of things just popped into my head. I realized while reading so many posts from all us girls, I found that we go through almost a 2nd adolescence as a CD'r starting with when you really start to "Come to terms" or start really exploring for oneself and lasts...welll I don't know..as long as adulthood maybe.

That feeling of a tomboy streak made me think of many women in my lives who have a tomboy streak to them...I think about growing up with them and how they had a very similar outlook in that I remember one girl who was one of those girls who was very much a woman, but was athletic and into sports. She was the pretty girl on the tennis team...but that night all dressed for the prom and she felt totally uncomfortable in a formal dress...but she'd wear denim skirts and jeans on a regular basis to school, etc. But even her a GG woman had her limits. My wife now does too. As a man so do I.

Anyway if I follow you correctly, there is a lesson to be learned in just being who you are no matter what your wearing on the outside.