PDA

View Full Version : Ear Piercing Schedule

stefcd1
02-17-2008, 01:39 PM
Hello Girlfriends:

Because of where I work, it is just not possible for me to wear studs in my ears while they heal. But I must have my ears pierced, I can't stand it any longer. So, I came up with this plan and wnted your opnions on whether it will will work and my ears not get inflected.
1. At the start of a 1 week vacation, go immedinately after work on a Friday and get bot ears pierced.
2. Leave the studs in the whole vacation time, caring for them as normal.
3. Take them out on the Monday I return, studs in for a little over 9 days in all.
4. Use the fishing line trick and place sterilized line in the holes.
5. As soon as I get home, remove the line and replace the studs.
6,. Do this for the normal 6 week healing time.

Will this work?
Thanks, Stef

Nicole Erin
02-17-2008, 01:44 PM
It might, but keep in mind it is really akward the first few times you put in earrings.

Now what about those plastic clear things some people put into new piercings? could you put them behind your lobes?

But your plan should be fine. If you notice infection of course you know something is wrong but it sounds alright

OH also, once the piercings have healed, they are pierced for life. I very seldom wear earrings but the holes are there. it does hurt a little when I wear tho.

Well good luck sis :)

waspookie6
02-17-2008, 01:51 PM
Piercing shops also have "surgical plastic" studs (rings and bars) for those that will have to avoid certain types of electromagnetic fields. They are clear so if you have any hair that comes to your lobes, you can 'hide' them. It wouldn't catch glare from lights like fishing line would and stay in place.

2ยข

Michelle-NC
02-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Let me know how it works, plan on doing the same thing this summer

rickie121x
02-17-2008, 02:05 PM
.... once the piercings have healed, they are pierced for life. ....

For life? It hasn't happend that way with me. Eight weeks is about the limit for me - without putting in studs. After that, the holes heal up and close so that I have to have them re-pierced. These days, I put in studs, for a night, at least once a week. That seems to keep the piercings in good and "clean though" condition.

Rickie

Anna the Dub
02-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Mine healed up too. I had had them done for about 2 years, when I decided to leave my ears clear for a couple of weeks. When I tried to put earrings in again, they had closed up. For life? Ha!

Michelle-NC
02-17-2008, 03:27 PM
I have the left ear pierced, while playing soccer in college, so that was 20 years ago. Have not worn an earring in there for years, and it is still there, so mine is there for life.

Joy Carter
02-17-2008, 03:37 PM
Honey I think you asking for trouble. Every time you remove them your re injuring that spot. They will never heal. If your dead set on doing this, just start with one ear.

Margot
02-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Joy is right, putting them in and taking them out for the first 6 weeks makes them harder to heal and they hurt like hell putting the studs back in. I did this a couple of months ago. They took forever to heal but they are fine now. If you're doing it ,put antiseptic cream on the posts and around the holes and this could prevent an infection flar-up.
Good luck. Mine finally healed and I'm very happy wearing earrings most of the time now. I have studs and drops. I actually prefer drops but you can't wear them until the piercings have healed.
:hugs:
Margot

debbeelee1
02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
I bit the bullet and had both of my ears pierced three weeks ago. I have small silver balls for earings. I drive a truck and I'm gone 4-5 weeks at a time. I'm 54 years old and just showed my 75 year old mother. She thought they were "cool". She is pretty cool herself and got a tatoo when she was 72 years old on her wrist for all to see. No one has said a thing to me about my earings, it's pretty accepted these days! Go for it and have yours done, don't worry about what others think!:be:

jennifer41356
02-17-2008, 05:52 PM
Stef

I think thye will heal better and quicker if you dont pull them out while the hole is healing...When I got mine years ago, I accidently knocked one out about 1 week after having them and a friend who was a Dentist almost had to make another hole.

so my advice is like what the others here have suggested, use clear plastic ones

O2B Barbara
02-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Find some clear plastic starters. I waited two months after getting both ears doen. Did the turn and wash with solution twice a day. After two months I wanted to wear something other than studs, hurt a lot to get hem in and then to get the studs back in. It has now been 5 months and no pain, I can even get them into the holes without looking, just like my said I would.

I don't think removing them daily would be a good thing for the forst couple of months.

By the way, I love having both ears pierced and wear earrings daily.

Ema1234 GG
02-17-2008, 08:32 PM
Sorry to burst the bubble but it isn't always that simple. After 6 weeks chances are by the end of the day your holes will have healed again at the back and you'll have to repierce through at the back. Doing this every day will leave you with very sore ears that take even longer to fully heal.

For several months after the initial six weeks mine would do this after only having them out for 1 hour.

And it is possible for holes to pretty much stay regardless, after several years. I've two sets of holes in each ear and both are pretty much with me for ever. Whilst I regularly wear earings in the first set of holes, it may be anything up to 6 - 8 months inbetween me putting earings in the second set. Granted, I wore earings in them everyday for about 3 years to acheive this, and I'm sure eventually after several years they would heal up completely.

MJ
02-17-2008, 08:42 PM
nobody cares about ears . if you work in the food industry you can put micro pore tape over your ears . what line of work are you in . or are you afraid of the razzing you'll get ?
you should leave then in to heal the right way .

stefcd1
02-17-2008, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all the information girls. I work in the very conservative aerospace industry. I just don't want folks to say "hey, you got your ears pierced!" So, sounds like I just need to stick with clip-ons for now.

BobbieGene
02-18-2008, 01:13 AM
STEF,LADIES&GURLS&GUYS>>>JUST DO IT<<<Unless your "SO" or Your Boss or Work Says NO than:JUST DO IT>>>If that makes you HAPPY do it>The H..LL with everybody&what people think!!!..If they ask WHY: Don't go on Defence>Counter attack..ie why did you change your HAIR color or I don,t like the HAT your wearing,or your HAIR Cut Sucks.Just tell them its the in THING its COOL>Every Bodys doing it,or Because I WANTED TOOOO.I'M a JERSEY BOY/WHO moved to SOUTH/The NOR-EAST GUYS&SO EAST GUYS all AGES are Wearin EAR WEAR!!...I'M a MAN'S MAN&I TAKES SH-T from NO-ONE>I MEAN NO ONE.....I Have 3 HOLES left EAR 1 Diamond stud middle 2 SS Rings/Ball>WALMART< /None Right EAR......10>TATS.....1Navel..Ring....4 Nipple>Holes>2 Rings2Barbells.....I'm 58yr White IRISH MALE who wears PH&Pantys...Painted Toes>SHOW Me WHERE it SAYS PH,PANTYS,Nail Polish,Skirts,Piersings>ECT are 4 GG's only!!...I..Loves GG'S can stand Men or LADIES that WHINE....LIFE..IS..TO..SHORT...Bein ...HAPPY.. SHould ..be YOUR 1st PROROITY...ever thing that follows is 2nd......I read this posts>Whinie Questions:Angry3:!!!!.."WAKE UP AMERICA"..."JUST..DO...IT",.......BG>OUT>....LATERRRRrr:tongueout

darla_g
02-18-2008, 04:28 AM
i think you should go ahead with your original plan. If you think the absolute worst thing that can happen is they close they close and then you figure out when you might try it again. I know people that have tried the mono filament line trick you describe and it worked great for them (they were in the Air Force). so i think if you do the antiseptic per original piercers directions you should be fine. There is always something in there so it won't close up.

another tip i learned from them : you can buy this medicated cover stick (originally acne treatment) and if you put that over the mono filament and you CANNOT see the hole at all. and the mono filament should be a little thicker than you might normally get. for instance on freshwater wishing you might get 8-10 lb test and you probably want something approaching the diameter of the earring post. Just go to your local sporting goods store and tell the clerk that you want to replace your earring post with mono-filament and he will know exactly what to buy! <just kidding>

Go for it.

Emily Ann Brown
02-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm in construction, and around macho types all day. Age is late 50s. I had mine done 7 weeks ago...... HAD to remove them for an hour about week 2 and I like to have never gotten one back through. Painful is putting it mildly.

Get titanium balls(earrings silly!)....I did and they aren't that offensive to people. Come to think of it, get titanium balls too dear. GIGGLE GIGGLE.

Emily Ann

Sally24
02-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Be aware that many piercing techs instruct you that the healing process is anywhere from 6 months to a year! Mine took 4 or 5 months before they seemed to be fully healed. I kept the starter loops in for 7 weeks and then put in some small ball studs. I've had some joking at work but it was all in fun. Not much was said by most people. I've been surprised to find that I really like them in boy mode too! Since I don't change them very much in boy mode I buy expensive earings. Girl mode I'll buy any cheap thing that matches my outfit at the time. My wife just bought me saphire studs for valentines day and I haven't tried them out yet for fear of losing one (had that happen Christmas Day!)

I'd say take the plunge and F**k em if they can't take a joke!

Trish
02-18-2008, 09:02 AM
When mine were done, I would take the studs out ever morning, before work. I would put them back in in the evenings. Doing that, they healed with no problems. That was over 30 years ago.

Scotty
02-18-2008, 11:52 AM
When I pierced my cartlidge on top of my ear I did it on a 10 day holiday as well and then would come home and moisten the skin intensely before putting the stud back in - THAT SEEMS to be the trick.

Warm the skin and get it moist before you put them back in.

Yes that should work however :)

I did that with my right ear as well.

Raquel June
02-18-2008, 12:10 PM
I work in aerospace, too. I work around a lot of military guys, and more than half my office went to the same very conservative Christian university.

I'm not going to post any pics of myself in the open section of the forum, but really, you can pull off earrings pretty easily as a guy. I wear two 12-gauge 1/2-inch captive bead rings, and it looks totally masculine. If I want to play it down some I'll wear two 14-gauge 3/8-inch ones. It also helps if you don't shave your goatee area very often :)

My boss, a super-conservative guy, specifically told me, "I could care less as long as you do your job. But it would gross me out if you stretched them way out like some of those guys."

About your ears healing...

When you get your ears pierced in the mall, they just use a little gun that's about 20 gauge. The hole is so small that you'd probably tear it open if you tried to straighten out a paper clip and stick it through. Also, the damaged tissue doesn't get cleared out well with that gun, and they tell you not to try to change your earrings for 4 to 6 weeks -- which is reasonable advice since the hole is so small that it's very difficult to get earrings back in until it's totally healed.

If you go to a place that does body piercing (there ARE a lot of good clean ones with semi-intelligent people in them if you ask around), you can have them pierce them with a needle and get them pierced at 16 or 14 or 12 gauge. Look at some body jewelry and you'll see that it's still a very small hole until you get over 10 gauge.

Anyway, if you get your ears pierced at about 14 gauge at a real body piercing place, they'll use a needle that will actually clear out the dead tissue, so it doesn't just sit in your ear and get infected. With the hole slightly bigger, it's easier to move the earring around a little bit and put some alcohol in there every day, and it's also easy to change the earrings in and out after just a few days. It also heals much faster.

Personally, I got my ears pierced at the mall and wanted to wear more masculine earrings that didn't just have the little hook thing on the back so I made the holes larger myself with little finishing nails, but I really wouldn't recommend that.

BobbieGene
02-18-2008, 06:06 PM
:2c:@ Walmart>Sewing Section back of store (Needle Section) look 4 "ZURCIR" Lt.BLUE Card has (7) SS Needles SIZE 14-18 Gauge Buy!!!...Step 2>Walmart>Jewerly Counter look 4 Spin-Around Display on Counter>BODY JEWLERY Make Selection...Buy!!Step3>Walmart>Pharmacy>Buy 90&#37;Alcohol,Hydrogen peroxide, "EQUATE" brand/Half price as Name Brand same INGREDIENTS>Triple antibiotic ointment!!!.......At Home Clean Shot Glass>Mix ALCO/PEROX Solution put Jewlry in Glass....Select Needle Sz...Burn Needle put in Solution! You will need Hemostats or Sm vise grips to hold needle secure! Select area 4 hole Clean entire area front&back 1st Achco 2nd perox...mark hole felt Pen.....Numb w/ICE.Lock Needle in TOOL stick in tube of ANTIBIOTIC...Put Needle on Mark 1- QUICK Push its through....Work Needle back&forth&Rotate Right&Left Apply more Ointm to NEEDLE Front&Back& do as above...After 30 Mins in Place remove Jewerly from Glass Clean again w/PEROX...Then Coat W/Ointment....Remove Needle insert Jewerly work it back&Forth.....TWICE a Day>AM&PM CLEAN HOLE&JEWERLY W/PEROX&REPLY OINTMENT.......FULLY HEELED in 7 Days........I have 8 Piercings>I Did 7 on Myself W/No Problems or INFECTION........BG>OUT.....LATERRRRrrrr......PS a Nice Glass of Wine or Your Fav Drink& of Course DRESS in ENFEMME enhances the MOMENT.......BG

O2B Barbara
02-18-2008, 07:55 PM
I would go for it, if things were to get to far out of hand or hard to take, then take them out for work. At least you tried. Besides I tell folks it was a weak moment when my X chromazone took control.

CherylKCCD
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Stefcd1 Add me to Darla g as one who thinks you should go thru with your idea. I got the same idea from a local CD friend. Not at the same time, but she and I both got our ears pierced the first night of a vacation, and cared for them exactly as the girl @ Claires told us to. Ironically, we both have a small crease in our earlobes. The piercings are exactly in the middle of the creases which helps hide the holes.

After my vacation was over, I did exactly the same as your explaining. I took them out for work, and put them back in immediately when I got home. I left them in all night and very seldom ever took them out on weekends. Every morning before work, I put a small dab of Johnson & Johnson white First Aid Creme on each earlobe. I spread it around . It helped disguise the holes, but more importantly keeps the infection out.

For the first 3 weeks, there was some pain. It would take me 10-15 seconds per ear to re-insert them. Mine never grew back closed during any one day, but for those first 3 weeks , it did take a little push to pop thru the back of the ear in the same hole that it came out of. That hurt!! I took a different approach than some of the others here in dealing with the pain. I multiplied the 30 seconds a day of pain it caused by the 21 days it took for the pain to stop.... a cumalative total of roughly 10-11 minutes of pain. Then I compared it to the hours upon hours of pain I endured by wearing clip or magnetic earrings. It's not uncommon for me to be out with friends for 6-8 hours at a time. Of that 6-8 hours, at least 2 hours is unrelenting pain and pinching. Usually before the night was over, I'd pitch my clips in the purse.

Today is my eighth week of having them pierced. Last Saturday I went out for the first time wearing studs with a small dangle. Except for the dangles wiggling around a little, I couldn't even tell I had them in . There's no pain now, they slide right in, and I stayed out for 7 hours and returned home with no pain in my...............ears.

I have 40 pairs of clips that will soon be going on Ebay.

In 8 weeks only one person has mentioned anything about the piercings. My 10 year old neighbor asked last week, "Did you used to have pierced ears?". I've had dinner with my 30 year old daughter at least once a week since the piercings and she either hasn't noticed or doesn't care. Likewise at work, no one has said anything.

For me, it was a weight between the reward and the risk. Sure it hurt a little a day for 3 weeks. Now that the pain is gone, it's all reward.

Hugs , Cheryl

Raquel June
02-18-2008, 09:34 PM
BobbieGene:

That's pretty compicated. Why would you do that when you can get your ears pierced at the mall on your lunch break for about $20?

Besides, even if you get the holes in the right spot, I imagine it would be pretty difficult to get them perfectly straight when piercing your own ears.

BobbieGene
02-21-2008, 01:14 AM
Hi Racquel, !st>I don't do lunch hour as I don't work!...My 1st piercing was @ Mall May04 NJ while on Vacation 1 hole left ear w/Gun by GG 2wks on job.I was a bit apprehensive,but I wanted it done.The GUN only puts a 20-22 gauge Hole>,way to Small 4 Guy Rings12-16Gauge<She had me pick from small selection of posts while I was lookin@ the posts she" Dropped the Gun"& she said I would have to wear post for -7wks handed me bottle of Ear care solution&directions&could not change ear wear till 7wks-up Total cost Hole FREE Post&EAR care $11.00......I was 91b40 Combat Medic in USA learned how to sutuer on enemy.That being said I prefer My own Methods of sterilzation ...2wks later back home I did as I said & holes are perfect>I also enlarged the 1st from Mall that HURT more than making NEW 14 Gauge Holes.The Ear Care is Junk 1 got sm Inf in Jersey>I Recommend Wal-sporin @Walgreens or EQuate Triple Antibiotic Ointment>I GUARANTEE fully Healed in 7-10 Days.....TRY it get back to me with RESULTS.........RACQUAL...May I SAY YOU have very PRETTY EYES............Have a Great Nite.......BG>wheres :drink:the RUM....... ..
BobbieGene:

That's pretty compicated. Why would you do that when you can get your ears pierced at the mall on your lunch break for about $20?

Besides, even if you get the holes in the right spot, I imagine it would be pretty difficult to get them perfectly straight when piercing your own ears.