PDA

View Full Version : Remembering Our Own Lawrence King Memorial

Miss Petra
02-23-2008, 03:41 AM
Moderators please dont move this thread. I really wanted to share this with all and have as many people see it as possible.

See pics at the bottom.

I was one of the blessed few that was able to attend the Lawrence "Larry" King Memorial. There was several thousand who came but only around 400 were able to be in the chapel. I arrived 45 minutes early and glad I did we were seated in the second to last row.

They did have tents set up around the perimeter of the church and a PA system so all could hear the Memorial.

It was a wonderful but also a very sad affair.

Some things I learned about Larry:

He along with his mother knitted several hundred scarves for our troops overseas. This was his idea and was part of Xmas care packages that were sent.

He loved insects and gardening. He created a butterfly farm using the passion flower and its vines to create hundreds of butterflys. He cared for them and made sure they were safe whle in the cocoon stage.

He loved little league and would comment how beautiful the stained glass windows were on the church across the street from the field he played at. It reminded him of butterflys :D The church where the services were held is that church.

He was loved by many kids and had lots of friends.

I pray for the families of all who have been effected by this horrible tragedy.

I felt compelled to go to the services to support him and his courage to come out. Can you imagine yourself and being a 15 year old coming to school dressed in heels and makeup? I cant even begin to have that kind of courage at his young age.

I also wanted to represent my cousin Matthew Kosbob who many years ago was killed by youth violence. His father has been instrumental in lobbying for tougher teen violence laws and is still a huge influence on the youth of this nation by his many talks and seminars regarding youth violence.

One of the most profound things I saw is that all the adults male & female basically looked the same...It was the kids who showed the most diversity and acceptance by dressing in all types of colors and styles. To see the youth of the community dressed like that reminds me that there is hope and someday we will all love & accept each other for who we are.

There are new bills being introduced that will teach diversity & acceptance in our junior high schools. Why does it always take a tragedy like this to promote & create change?

RIP Larry & Matthew

A wonderful banner created by the kids of Larry's school.

This was Larry

This Lamp was given to the family from the church & community leaders
to remind them of Larry and the stained glass of the lamp is to remind them of Larry's love of gods creatures especially the butterfly.

One of the several tented areas set up around the church.

The Altar

waspookie6
02-23-2008, 04:01 AM
From the Ventura County Reporter
(http://www.vcreporter.com/cms/story/detail/start_talking_start_listening/5724/)

An even greater sign of hope came Saturday at a rally organized by Larry’s students which brought hundreds of people to the streets of Oxnard. Their action showed that a violent act between two of their peers was an abomination. It proved there is much reason to be hopeful for the future of our community if adolescents witness to a horrible act of brutality chose to respond not with fear or anger but strength and love spilling out through the streets.

Those of us among older generations must take heed of our children. We must no longer rabidly pursue our own self interest to the detriment of our future. It is absolutely essential that we begin listening to our youth, that we focus on their needs, on their hopes, on their anxieties. We must get to know them, we must communicate with them or we will be doomed to pass the hatred and violence and divisions surrounding us to yet another generation.

Our challenge to the community is to get involved. Show somebody younger than you that there are other options besides violence. Show them that society’s strength is its diversity, that unique individuals offer unique gifts. Show them that they have potential.

Very little to add aside from Angels who are happy to have Larry with them, working their magic on the rest of us no matter where we are or what we are doing in quiet diligence.

Miss Petra
02-23-2008, 05:32 AM
I encourage all to make comments and post their thoughts on this senseless tragedy that yet has fallen another one of difference & diversity.

Petra

battybattybats
02-23-2008, 05:53 AM
I must admit there has been a lot of anti trans violence lately that we should also remember but this one upset me even more than the others. I'm not entirely sure why, they all hurt, they are all horrible, they all make me want to do something to prevent this happening again. This one just got deeper under my skin.

I can't actually find sufficient words to express it all. All the grief, all the rage.

Billie1
02-23-2008, 07:00 AM
As horrible as a tragedy as it is, we can rejoice in knowing that the Lord has a special place for His children that come home to Him cloaked in the innocence and purity of youth. May Larry's garden now be warmed by the Face of God, tended to by the hands of angels and as limitless in color and beauty as the heavens.

Godspeed.

waspookie6
02-23-2008, 07:03 AM
batts, It is because of the innocence it strikes to the core of everyone. This was a young person who knew far more about life from an early age and wasn't afraid of any potential consequence - something even us adults avoid.

As Miss Petra imparted, this was not a rebelious soul either but one who cared passionately for the most fragile things in life.
It just makes it all the more difficult to comprehend.

Miss Petra
02-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for your thoughts ladies.

Petra

CaptLex
02-23-2008, 12:23 PM
Moderators please dont move this thread. I really wanted to share this with all and have as many people see it as possible. . . . I encourage all to make comments and post their thoughts
It's an important subject, Petra, but if you want it to be seen by as many people as possible, why do you want it kept here in the MtF section? I think more of every group here visit the Lounge. Unless you mean you want it seen by as many MtFs as possible . . . ? :idontknow:

Miss Petra
02-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks Capt Lex.

For me I rarely visit the lounge and thought this area would get the most exposure seeing it is public and has lots of activity. Hmmm Am i missing something I quess I should be visiting the lounge more often.

Petra

CaptLex
02-23-2008, 12:46 PM
For me I rarely visit the lounge and thought this area would get the most exposure seeing it is public and has lots of activity. Hmmm Am i missing something I quess I should be visiting the lounge more often.

Petra
You should get out more often, hon. :tongueout

Sharon
02-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Thank you so much for posting this, Petra. I'm so happy that the service had a good turnout.

RobertaFermina
02-26-2008, 12:40 PM
I must have been in my own private Idaho....got a link that will give me some context to understand more about Lawrence King? A news article, website? All I see is a tragic death, and I don't know why and who was affected, aside from you.

:hugs:

:rose: Roberta :rose:

Cynthia_0101
02-26-2008, 01:01 PM
It's so tragic to see someone so young and pure be destroyed by someone equally young and already corrupted by society.

I feel for his parents

Miss Petra
02-27-2008, 11:01 AM
I must have been in my own private Idaho....got a link that will give me some context to understand more about Lawrence King? A news article, website? All I see is a tragic death, and I don't know why and who was affected, aside from you.

:hugs:

:rose: Roberta :rose:

When I want learn more info about something I do a search on the web.

I felt it was not needed to put in all the prelim info but several people have requested it so I may be wrong.

rememberlarry.com is a great place to start.

Petra