PDA

View Full Version : "Did you DRAW on your eyebrows?"

ChristineRenee
02-23-2008, 12:50 PM
Thought that I'd share this one with y'all. Last week Penny and I spent the better part of a Sunday at her mother's. An aunt and two uncle's of hers were visiting there and Penny's mom was having dinner for all of us. After dinner, I was sitting with her two uncles out on the lanai (patio). Both of them have always liked me a lot but hadn't seen me for quite awhile...at least not since I had my ears pierced and my eyes and eyebrows done. (permanent eye makeup)

Well...one of her uncles, the one I'm closer to and who I had played several rounds of golf with in the past, looks at me very intently and says..."Did you DRAW on your eyebrows?" :p I mean they are shaped pretty feminine and do almost look drawn on. Without missing a beat I just remarked back that no, I just had them shaped and more defined is all. I thought that they were too light in color and getting a bit too bushy and I wanted them to be more shaped and noticeable. He says..."Oh...nice." And that was the end of it.

I guess the point I'm making here is to just feel comfortable with yourself and don't be defensive or embarrased about your feminine features should you get called out on them by someone. I occasionally get called "ma'am" in public from time to time even when I'm with Penny, and I'm always kind of bemused by that since I don't really try to be either overly feminine or masculine in my demeanor. I'm just being me. Anyway, I was really glad that Penny's uncles didn't make a big deal out of my eyebrows despite noticing them. Maybe things are starting to change a little bit for the better for us in how we are observed and treated by others. Anyway, I just wanted to share this with all of you. :happy:

TGMarla
02-23-2008, 01:02 PM
His comment could be interpreted on many levels. He didn't say that he approved of it, or that it would be something that he would do for himself. It probably never occurred to him that a regular guy (like you, of course) would ever even consider getting his eyebrows shaped...or worked on in any way. He probably thinks that if a guy's eyebrows turn out like Andy Rooney's, then oh well. That's the way it is.

Anyway, I'll bet he thought it was strange that a man, especially his neice's husband, would do up his brows.

kathy001
02-23-2008, 01:07 PM
I think thin and sharply arched brows are the most feminizing feature on a face, male or female.

For a part time CDer its mighty tempting to go this route as it no doubt looks great in fem mode but its a dead give away in guy mode. Which is the reason i have never and will never pluck one brow on my sorry head. Trim maybe, but never pluck!

Here a pluck, there a pluck, everywhere a pluck, pluck... and before you know it, there's no more to pluck!!

Ok, i like saying that word 'pluck' because we all know what it rhymes with! :rolleyes:

ChristineRenee
02-23-2008, 01:14 PM
His comment could be interpreted on many levels. He didn't say that he approved of it, or that it would be something that he would do for himself. It probably never occurred to him that a regular guy (like you, of course) would ever even consider getting his eyebrows shaped...or worked on in any way. He probably thinks that if a guy's eyebrows turn out like Andy Rooney's, then oh well. That's the way it is.

Anyway, I'll bet he thought it was strange that a man, especially his neice's husband, would do up his brows.
Oh I'm sure he did. The thing is his tone was accepting. He didn't roll his eyes or give any kind of facial gestures that indicated he thought it was bizarre or strange looking, so I interpreted that at the time as a good thing. Maybe he said something later to her aunt however, but he seemed ok with it at the time to me.

Di
02-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Good going hon....you feeling comfortable with yourself ...makes a big difference:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wendy me
02-23-2008, 02:01 PM
hey sis ...... lol very cool next time you get your eyebrows done give the uncle a call and tell him come on you could use a trim ............

darla_g
02-23-2008, 02:28 PM
my standard answer now is if anyone asks is that the stylist who cuts my hair trims them (she does).

The fact is I'm in the late 40s is that I've noticed my ear hair and eyebrow hair just grows at an incredible rate. I did my brows on Monday (and i thought i did them way too thin) and now on Saturday they look fine for male mode!

I just need to figure out what i am doing about color as some are coming in a little gray and tweezing them out is not an option. The color and growth pattern is NOT uniform so i am constantly trimming. and that is my perfect answer because it is also true!

Bexles
02-24-2008, 11:17 AM
My eyebrows are pretty feminine in shape anyway, I just thinned them a bit so no-one's noticed so far. I've had a few comments about how nice my eyes are but no-one's specifically said anything about my eyebrows.

It's both nice and awkward when people notice your efforts to improve your feminine features. But sounds like you handled it well (I'm not sure how I'd react).

It's getting more an more obvious for people to notice my changes so I'm having to prepare myself for the questions.

ChristineRenee
02-24-2008, 10:30 PM
My eyebrows are pretty feminine in shape anyway, I just thinned them a bit so no-one's noticed so far. I've had a few comments about how nice my eyes are but no-one's specifically said anything about my eyebrows.

It's both nice and awkward when people notice your efforts to improve your feminine features. But sounds like you handled it well (I'm not sure how I'd react).

It's getting more an more obvious for people to notice my changes so I'm having to prepare myself for the questions.It gets easier and easier with time. The main thing is to be almost nonchalant about it. Treat it as no big deal. You have to be comfortable with yourself...in your own skin as it were. The last thing you want to do is to be either defensive or evasive. Basically you want to project to that person that this was something you WANTED to do for YOU...and that you are very comfortable with it. If you are very positive in your demeanor, it lets others know that you are impervious to any attempts by them to make you feel strange or weird. Be proud of who you are, and make sure that you project an attitude to others that you ARE proud of who you are. That's the best way to handle it, IMO.

michellebesweet
02-24-2008, 10:50 PM
I pluck mine, I like to keep my natural brows, but I do shape them and keep them nice and formed, not to fem, but not to bushy, and when I do dress, I shape them a little more fem, and just let them grow out.

JoAnnDallas
02-25-2008, 10:25 AM
Wife and I were on vacation this last week. We took my nephew, his wife, daughter and our granddaughter to Disney in Fla. One day I was standing at the sink using my eyebrow pencil. Nephew's wife walks in and asks why I am coloring my eyebrows. Without even turning around and still using the eyebrow pencil, I tell her, "I don't like seeing white hairs in my eyebrows". She just stares at me for a moment and then says, "turn around", takes the eyebrow pencil from me and commences to finish filling in and shaping my eyebrows. Hands the eyebow pencil back to me and says, "Hows that look". I turn around, look in the mirrow and say to her, "Wow, they look great". She smiles and walks out the door. Later that day, she saw my RED toes and just smiled at me. LOL

Bexles
02-25-2008, 05:58 PM
I tell her, "I don't like seeing white hairs in my eyebrows"

I should use that one :happy: I wasn't too bothered with my white hairs until I realised they refuse to do as they're told so I'm left with no option but to remove them or find some way to make them go where I want them to.

Charolette time
02-26-2008, 11:29 AM
It gets easier and easier with time. The main thing is to be almost nonchalant about it. Treat it as no big deal. You have to be comfortable with yourself...in your own skin as it were. The last thing you want to do is to be either defensive or evasive. Basically you want to project to that person that this was something you WANTED to do for YOU...and that you are very comfortable with it. If you are very positive in your demeanor, it lets others know that you are impervious to any attempts by them to make you feel strange or weird. Be proud of who you are, and make sure that you project an attitude to others that you ARE proud of who you are. That's the best way to handle it, IMO.

I like my eyebrows shaped, I keep them trimed and with the glasses I wear they are not to noticable, I see your nice swim suit your wearing, and living in Florida Id be more concerned about getting a tan line, and having to explaine it to Uncle Herman, I love the way it looks on you, I think Im going to get one for me, but its pretty cold up hear in the north, dont have to worry about the tan line, :devil::devil::hugs:Charolette

Nicole Erin
02-26-2008, 02:32 PM
He probably thought he was going to embarass you or something, but when you reacted confidently, he didn't know what to say.

ChristineRenee
02-26-2008, 02:40 PM
I like my eyebrows shaped, I keep them trimed and with the glasses I wear they are not to noticable, I see your nice swim suit your wearing, and living in Florida Id be more concerned about getting a tan line, and having to explaine it to Uncle Herman, I love the way it looks on you, I think Im going to get one for me, but its pretty cold up hear in the north, dont have to worry about the tan line, :devil::devil::hugs:CharoletteI don't go out and tan in my swim suit here in the neighborhood as my wife would not approve. She doesn't care if I dress and go out...but not around our neighborhood or in town. It has to be away from here. Hasn't been a problem however as other than going out one time, I am in the closet.