PDA

View Full Version : Black Box "Crash" Recorder for CDs

Suzy Harrison
02-24-2008, 03:27 AM
Having a history of working on airliners, I've come up with the idea of having a personal Crash Recorder !

I've often wondered how I sound when I interact with others - well I thought of taking along a micro voice digital recorder that I have, so I can re-run the outing.
That way I can see how I sound to others.

What do you think? - or am I taking things too far :heehee:

Farrah
02-24-2008, 03:29 AM
I think thats a great idea. Especially if you can't go out as ofthen as you like, you could relive it.

Christina Louise
02-24-2008, 03:40 AM
Have you ever tried this with your male voice - you're in the minority if you like the way you seem to sound to other people. So, if you are wondering about the timbre of your voice then I'd suggest not; but if you are simply after a recording of what you're saying, then go ahead.

theresa
02-24-2008, 03:41 AM
Interesting idea Suzy. I tend to concentrate on how I look and I need to start concentrating on how I sound.

Kate Simmons
02-24-2008, 04:08 AM
Just a thought Suzy but if some people think you are "wired", they may get the wrong impression and it could be potentially dangerous. You never know Hon.

Suzy Harrison
02-24-2008, 04:21 AM
Have you ever tried this with your male voice - you're in the minority if you like the way you seem to sound to other people. So, if you are wondering about the timbre of your voice then I'd suggest not; but if you are simply after a recording of what you're saying, then go ahead.

It's purely to see how good my fem voice is. I've been practicing 1 hour a day, everyday, for the last 3 months. It's coming along, but I need to 'hear' it objectively.

When you talk you hear your own voice differently to others as the sound is in your head, as it were.

Just a thought Suzy but if some people think you are "wired", they may get the wrong impression and it could be potentially dangerous. You never know Hon.

Good point, but there's no wires or anything else that looks strange.

It's a small square silver device, 2.5 inch x 1 inch x 0.25 inch. All self contained with 2 inbuilt microphones (stereo). If I put it in my bag it still picks up everything and it can record for 70 hours - and even I don't stay out for that long ! - see photo

DeeAnn
02-24-2008, 05:05 AM
How does one practice, or speak in, or determine the tone and quality of a female voice?

I've considered trying to talk in a feminine voice but it sounds so weird that it seems unnatural.

Suzy Harrison
02-24-2008, 05:15 AM
How does one practice, or speak in, or determine the tone and quality of a female voice?

I've considered trying to talk in a feminine voice but it sounds so weird that it seems unnatural.

Try this:

http://tsroadmap.com/physical/voice/female-voice.html

This is the course I'm doing

Deborah Jane
02-24-2008, 05:23 AM
This could be a good idea Suzy:happy:
My daughter says "I sound like Bob Hoskins trying to impersonate Eliza Doolittle":(

Nicki B
02-24-2008, 08:40 AM
I think talking of crashes runs the risk of being a self-fulfilling prophecy... :hmmm:

Angie G
02-24-2008, 08:41 AM
Record your self just talking by yourself you don't need to record another person. :hugs:
Angie

JessieB
02-24-2008, 11:24 AM
I think hearing yourself might be very useful practice, but some people might not like the idea of being recorded. Might need to get permission first. And wouldn't the sound be muffled if the recorder were in your purse?

JenniferR771
02-24-2008, 11:39 AM
Busted! Out of the closet--you are really an engineer aren't you?

trannie T
02-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Can you include a video cam in your purse?

Sally24
02-24-2008, 08:42 PM
In many countries any audio recording without permission is considered "wire-tapping". It might not be an issue but I would be careful!

TxKimberly
02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
SURE you want to know? Sometimes I'm perfectly happy fooling myself! ;-)

Missy Anne
02-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Suzy,

If you have worked on airliners and Black Boxes, you probably know that the last words usually heard on them just before the crash is "AW SH.."!

So, we will wait for the readout of yours.

Seriously though, while it would be fun, it may be big trouble if found out. I would be afraid that if I heard myself, it might burst my bubble LOL!

Best regards,

Missy Anne

Brynna M
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Having an objective look at your progress is a great idea. (I'm gonna let me inner nerd loose for a minute) I'm not sure a general purpose recorder would give you accurate feed back. To my experience they tend to be noisy and do not accurately reproduce sounds. Plus with the ambient noise of an outing I would question how true to life the playback would be. Maybe try it alone first, and use a song you like as a test case so you'd recognise the accuracy of the sound. (ok I'm done nerding out for a while :nerd:)

But working on a female voice is a neat/interesting idea.

Thanks for the link. :happy:

B

Suzy Harrison
02-25-2008, 05:49 AM
Suzy walking around the mall in her heels saying:

"Testing testing 1-2-3 !" :hugs:

JenniferR771 : Yes, you've outed me... In fact I was an aircraft engineer - but I'd rather had been a stewardess as they had nicer uniforms

Missy Anne + Sally24 Well no one is going to know unless they take my bag and even if they look inside and see it you have to know how to work the recorder. It doesn't even look like a recorder.

Suzy Harrison
02-25-2008, 06:34 AM
Suzy,

If you have worked on airliners and Black Boxes, you probably know that the last words usually heard on them just before the crash is "AW SH.."!

Missy Anne

No, it's usually the Ground Proximity Warning System calling out in an electronic voice:

"Whoop Whoop - Terrain, Pull Up, Whoop Whoop - Terrain, Pull Up," - usually followed by a bang.

Mine will be - "Whoop Whoop Outed, Whoop Whoop Outed",

TxKimberly
02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Suzy,

OMG that was too funny!

RobertaFermina
02-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I think its a great idea with at least one limitation.

I am pretty sure I sound differently when I am being recorded (and know it) as compared to when I know I am not being recorded.

Also, am I ready to "actually hear what I sound line" ? And not lose my emotional equilibrium if my voice isn't what I need it to be?

:rose: Roberta :rose: