PDA

View Full Version : Excited, nervous. Both.

NateX
02-25-2008, 05:07 PM
I'm a little excited, a little nervous. I finally found a psychologist in my area who deals with gender issues. Well, more like psychology students, but hey, they're willing to talk to me for next to nothing while I save money to go to someone else. And, if I stay with em long enough, maybe they'll take me with them when they get established, so I don't have to deal with more than one person on this.

I'm also a little nervous about it. I'm a bit of a shy person, and I despise going anywhere by myself. The first time or two they might let me take my gf with me, but even then, I'll have to talk to them alone at some point.

Dunno when the appointment is, they're supposed to call me back to set one up, so between now and then, I'll probably call the whole thing off a bajillion times. Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest. Have a nice day.

Kieron Andrew
02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
WtG dude!! go for it you'll do just fine, dont you dare cancel!....tell your lady not to let you lol

CaptLex
02-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Good luck, Nate. Hope you can relax and talk about what you need to. I know the feeling, though.

Don't forget to let us know how it goes. :happy:

ZenFrost
02-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Awesome! If you start getting nervous or thinking of canceling, come tell us so we can egg you on and convince you to go anyway. :smilep:

Tristan
02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Congrats, buddy! If it helps I did my therapy hours with a psych intern for five bucks a session. After my required hours for hormones she got me the referral I needed to a shrink. I met him once and got put through to an endo. Hope it goes well for you.

NateX
02-26-2008, 05:14 PM
Update: March 5th. They just called me and set up the appointment, so yeah, a little more nervous, since it's only a week away. Both Rowen and Kit have agreed to keep me in line, as well as Rowen's husband. Me and him have an agreement. He makes sure I go, and I make sure he goes for his depression. It's a lovely little circle. *grins*

Flameboy
02-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Go for it man! I know it can take a lot to just get there, but it'll be SO worth it :D Good luck, and let us know how you get on mate!

Felix
02-27-2008, 07:02 AM
Wow well done Nate and good luck :hugs: Lol god knows how long I'll be waitin for mine who knows I'm on a waiting list lol xx Felix :hugs:

NateX
03-04-2008, 06:35 PM
Just a little update. Tomorrow's the day, and I'm still terrified. I've threatened to cancel so many times that both my gf and my roommates are threatening to tie me to the car and drag me there. I've been getting really gripey with everybody and they're about ready to shove me in a closet, so. *shrugs*

Don't worry, I'm going, though not alone. They said I can bring Chaos with me, so that's good. This time, anyway. After that, I gotta go by myself. So if I don't post again, you'll know I died of fright. lol

Kieron Andrew
03-04-2008, 06:39 PM
Just a little update. Tomorrow's the day, and I'm still terrified. I've threatened to cancel so many times that both my gf and my roommates are threatening to tie me to the car and drag me there. I've been getting really gripey with everybody and they're about ready to shove me in a closet, so. *shrugs*

Don't worry, I'm going, though not alone. They said I can bring Chaos with me, so that's good. This time, anyway. After that, I gotta go by myself. So if I don't post again, you'll know I died of fright. lol

you can do it :D...we'll be here waiting for a full report :D

CaptLex
03-04-2008, 07:12 PM
And if you don't, Kieron will be the one tying you to his trike and dragging you there. :heehee:

ZenFrost
03-04-2008, 07:16 PM

:yt:

You can do this, we know you can. :hugs: When in doubt just close your eyes and pretend everyone else is naked.

Cai
03-04-2008, 07:18 PM
When in doubt just close your eyes and pretend everyone else is naked.

You know, that piece of advice is usually surprisingly unhelpful. :heehee:

Good luck Nate - I'm sure it'll all be fine. I was freaked before my therapy appt, but it went really well.

ZenFrost
03-04-2008, 07:23 PM
You know, that piece of advice is usually surprisingly unhelpful. :heehee:

I think the trick is really pretending that everyone else is naked. Not just thinking generically 'everyone else is naked' but really convincing yourself that everyone is, really imagining it.

Cai
03-04-2008, 07:27 PM
I think the trick is really pretending that everyone else is naked. Not just thinking generically 'everyone else is naked' but really convincing yourself that everyone is, really imagining it.

If I had that sort of self-mind-control, I'd just be imagining that I wasn't nervous. :heehee: Which is, actually, what I do. :D

NateX
03-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Just when I was getting settled in the fact that I was going... my counselor called and had to reschedule. She's also a high school counselor, and today is the nice happy, state mandated, untimed TAKS test. Damnit. So, tomorrow at six instead. *grumbles and pulls my beanie back over my eyes*

CaptLex
03-05-2008, 10:58 AM
Ah bah! Have to wait another day now . . . :Pfft:

Sandi jo
03-05-2008, 11:06 AM
Hope everything works out tomorrow

ZenFrost
03-05-2008, 02:43 PM
It's so annoying when you get all ready to go to an appointment and then they reschedule, I hope tomorrow goes well though.

NateX
03-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Ok, went to the counselor. Went alot better than I thought it would. She told me she thinks my name fits me, so that was good. Now, going to bed. Been nervous for a week and it's finally caught up to me. *waves*

ZenFrost
03-06-2008, 11:15 PM
Ok, went to the counselor. Went alot better than I thought it would. She told me she thinks my name fits me, so that was good. Now, going to bed. Been nervous for a week and it's finally caught up to me. *waves*

See, I knew you could do it. :hugs:

Kieron Andrew
03-06-2008, 11:20 PM

wtg dude, see we told you it will be ok....which name did she like Nate or Dray lol :D....when is the next appt :D

ZenFrost
03-06-2008, 11:25 PM
which name did she like Nate or Dray lol :D

Sebastian?

Kieron Andrew
03-06-2008, 11:38 PM
Sebastian?
bah ok yeah doh! i forgot :doh:, i thought i was the only one that went through name change lol

boi_0h
03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
That's great news dude. I'm glad all's going well. good luck with the counseling.

Samson
03-07-2008, 06:50 AM
wtg dude, you've done the hard part by braving up for the first visit, it'll just get easier from now on :thumbsup::D

NateX
03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
Sebastian?

Yup, that be the one.

wtg dude, see we told you it will be ok....which name did she like Nate or Dray lol :D....

*points up*

when is the next appt :D

Two weeks from yesterday. They wanted to do it weekly, but I can't get a babysitter every week.

Kieron Andrew
03-07-2008, 09:57 AM
*points up*
sorry my memory is like a sieve and im easily confused :heehee:

Two weeks from yesterday. They wanted to do it weekly, but I can't get a babysitter every week.cool two weekly it will be just as fresh in your mind :D

CaptLex
03-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Well done, dude! Don't be surprised if those nerves resurface from time to time. I've been seeing my shrink for two years now and I still get antsy about it sometimes. But it gets better each time. Good luck to you!

P.S. Every time I hear the name Sebastian, I think of that old Eddie Izzard joke where he compares American movies and UK movies: "What is it, Sebastian? I'm arranging matches." :heehee:

ChaosAngel
03-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Hey guys, I dunno if he told you but they said I could go with him. For a naturally shy guy who hides in corners he had no problem opening up to the therapist. He got the standard Q/A session about the past and only blushed once so I think he deserves a hand for that. Anyway, I wasn't expecting to get questioned as well, thats what happens when so's go to therapy too I guess. She, his therapist, has agreed when in the room she'll call him Sebastian and refer to him as "him" instead of "her". She even asked for more material about the FTM process so if you guys don't mind, we could use your help gathering info.

We even got homework after the first session, he's to create a list of goals on where he wants these sessions to go. We got a long term one already made, he's just gotta work on the short terms to get to the long term. Any way enough of my rambling, I'm gonna go drink, Captain pass the rum if you would.

Kieron Andrew
03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
HShe even asked for more material about the FTM process so if you guys don't mind, we could use your help gathering info.

They dont call me the linkmaster for nothing so i'll try....but as hes in the states the other boys might be better suited to finding info over there on the process

Cai
03-07-2008, 11:57 AM
What kind of info are you looking for? General info on transitioning, surgeons, info on health effects of hormones, all of it?

CaptLex
03-07-2008, 12:40 PM
She even asked for more material about the FTM process so if you guys don't mind, we could use your help gathering info.
I assume the therapist is familiar with the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care? Please tell us what other info you need.

Captain pass the rum if you would.
:drink: :cheers:

NateX
03-07-2008, 02:24 PM
What kind of info are you looking for? General info on transitioning, surgeons, info on health effects of hormones, all of it?

Absolutely everything. She said she knows a little bit, but is vastly in the dark, so I'm taking her everything I have, including stuff I wouldn't assume she needs like dressing tips, but I don't really have alot.

I assume the therapist is familiar with the Harry Benjamin Standards of Care? Please tell us what other info you need.

Actually, she's not familiar with it. I explained a little bit, but she is supposed to be looking for that before the next session. Oddly enough, I have a link to it, so I'ma help her out there.

I'm doing what I can to get everything I can get my hands on, but with the weather doing what it's been doing (Took me an hour to make the 20 minute drive into Nac to even see the woman) my DSL is acting like dial-up.

Cai
03-07-2008, 02:38 PM
This place has a good basic overview:
http://www.apa.org/topics/transgender.html

Copy of the SOC:
http://wpath.org/Documents2/socv6.pdf

This site has a bunch of FtM news:
http://www.ftminfo.net/

And just about anything you want is here:
http://www.thetransitionalmale.com/

Flameboy
03-07-2008, 03:06 PM
Hudson's FTM Guide (http://www.ftmguide.org/) is the best site I know for all kinds of FTM info.

Hope that helps

Dave

ChaosAngel
03-07-2008, 11:05 PM
You guys are so helpful, thank you all. BTW Sebastian (NateX) is currently net-less so it will be a while before he can show his appreciation for all your help.